Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > POLITICS, LITIGATION AND ACTIVISM > 2nd Amend. Litigation Updates & Legal Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

2nd Amend. Litigation Updates & Legal Discussion Discuss California 2A related litigation and legal topics here. All advice given is NOT legal counsel.

Old 08-16-2011, 1:56 PM

Hi folks. Any news? Updates? Or announcements?
Old 08-16-2011, 1:59 PM

The amended complaint is not due until 8/29/11...
Old 08-16-2011, 3:51 PM

Hopefully something good is brewing and it's worth the wait!!!
Old 08-29-2011, 4:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by shocknm View Post
We there yet?
Nothing yet!
Old 08-29-2011, 4:20 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DURAMAX View Post
do you know of anywhere in writing this exists or was it word of mouth?
Ca PC Chapter 2.9 Section 1001.55 (A) If you got diversion.

XL-650 to feed the: .45ACP's Les Baer Concept V, Ruger SR 1911, Ruger Nightwatchman,custom built Colt M1911, Springfield .45ACP Loaded.. 9MM SA Range Officer,Ruger P-85, Springfield Stainless 9MM loaded, SA 9MM 5.25" XDM, Springfield 9mm Stainless Range Officer, STI double stack .45ACP.
IDPA A41750 Safety Officer
NRA Certified RSO
"Stay out of the deep end of the pool; correct the problem with your credit card, not your dremel!"
Old 08-30-2011, 5:21 AM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by otis_bartleh View Post
The amended complaint is not due until 8/29/11...
Is someone going to post the amended complaint? I don't have pacer.
Old 08-30-2011, 6:26 AM
Calguns Addict

Hasn't been added to the docket yet: http://ia600300.us.archive.org/35/it...24.docket.html
In Pennsylvania Your permit to carry concealed is called a License to carry fire arms. Other states call it a CCW. In New Jersey it's called a crime.
Discretionary Issue is the new Separate but Equal.
Old 08-30-2011, 12:19 PM
I need a LIFE!!

I updated the docket and added the Amended Complaint to RECAP. This should be the complaint: http://www.archive.org/download/gov....15824.27.0.pdf

-Gene

DONATE NOW
to support the rights of California gun owners. Follow @cgfgunrights on Twitter.
Opinions posted in this account are my own and not the approved position of any organization.
I read PMs. But, if you need a response, include an email address or email me directly!

"The problem with being a gun rights supporter is that the left hates guns and the right hates rights." -Anon
Old 08-30-2011, 1:50 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by hoffmang View Post
I updated the docket and added the Amended Complaint to RECAP. This should be the complaint: http://www.archive.org/download/gov....15824.27.0.pdf

-Gene
Thank you Gene.
Old 08-30-2011, 5:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by anthonyca View Post
Thank you Gene.
Can anyone speculate on the next order of business now that the SAC has been submitted (what is the next customary step)?
Old 08-31-2011, 12:26 AM
I need a LIFE!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by M107A1 View Post
Can anyone speculate on the next order of business now that the SAC has been submitted (what is the next customary step)?
Likely cross motions for summary judgement.

-Gene

DONATE NOW
to support the rights of California gun owners. Follow @cgfgunrights on Twitter.
Opinions posted in this account are my own and not the approved position of any organization.
I read PMs. But, if you need a response, include an email address or email me directly!

"The problem with being a gun rights supporter is that the left hates guns and the right hates rights." -Anon
Old 08-31-2011, 12:36 AM
Calguns Addict

Quote:

-Gene
Any idea on the timeline for that and then the answer form the court other than "two weeks"?
Old 08-31-2011, 2:23 PM

Quote:

-Gene
What ^ said.

Negotiating for Joint Statement of Unidisputed Facts with AUSA and then we will likely set a briefing schedule for cross-motions for summary judgment.

If civic virtu does not reside in the people - no constitution, no bill of rights, no legislative body and no court will be able to preserve our liberties.

Unconsciously borrowed from: "Liberty lies in the hearts of men and women; when it dies there, no constitution, no law, no court can save it." — Judge Learned Hand

NONE of my posts on this website are legal advice.
I get the top bunk.
Old 08-31-2011, 3:02 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lex Arma View Post
What ^ said.

Negotiating for Joint Statement of Unidisputed Facts with AUSA and then we will likely set a briefing schedule for cross-motions for summary judgment.
Thanks for doing this work.
Old 08-31-2011, 4:09 PM

Thumbs up

Quote:
Thanks for doing this work.
Ditto
Old 09-04-2011, 9:27 PM

I found this on another site!
Attached Files
File Type: pdf gov.uscourts.dcd.144464.27.0.pdf (168.1 KB, 90 views)
Old 09-04-2011, 10:02 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by dad View Post
I found this on another site!
Nice find. I was just on a tirade about where our government is headed and your post calmed me down. It's great that we can still take our own government to court. We need to do it more often and show them their place!
Old 09-04-2011, 10:11 PM
Veteran Member

I just read that brief. More Gura brilliance. I replied here at TFL

I think Gura is laying bricks for a Lautenburg challenge.

The Second Amendment is the one right that is so fundamental that the inability to exercise it, should the need arise, would render all other rights null and void. Dead people have no rights.
Magna est veritas et praevalebit
Old 09-05-2011, 9:50 AM

Quote:
Nice find. I was just on a tirade about where our government is headed and your post calmed me down. It's great that we can still take our own government to court. We need to do it more often and show them their place!
With great legal eagles on our side(2A), we are headed in the right direction.
Old 09-05-2011, 9:57 AM

Good post dad, thanks.
Old 09-05-2011, 3:08 PM

http://youtu.be/6wXkI4t7nuc

Very interesting lecture by a law professor and former criminal defense attorney, and a LEO on the topic of remaining silent. It's a long clip (48min) but well worth your time, and quite entertaining.

Last edited by g8trgrad; 09-05-2011 at 3:19 PM..
Old 09-05-2011, 3:24 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by g8trgrad View Post

Very interesting lecture by a law professor and former criminal defense attorney, and a LEO on the topic of remaining silent. It's a long clip (48min) but well worth your time, and quite entertaining.
A great clip that's been posted a hundred times here.

The Second Amendment is the one right that is so fundamental that the inability to exercise it, should the need arise, would render all other rights null and void. Dead people have no rights.
Magna est veritas et praevalebit
Old 09-05-2011, 4:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maestro Pistolero View Post
Only one-hundred?
Bless, O Lord, this creature beer, which thou hast deigned to produce from the fat of grain: that it may be a salutary remedy to the human race, and grant through the invocation of thy holy name; that, whoever shall drink it, may gain health in body and peace in soul. Through Christ our Lord. Amen
Old 09-05-2011, 4:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by g8trgrad View Post

I've never seen it before, worth while to watch! Thanks for posting, and welcome to Calguns.
Old 09-05-2011, 6:35 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
And I'd agree that it's not been posted one more time than it should be. I'll welcome the next hundred times it is linked - as I suspect you will as well.

Interesting to have seen the video and then hear the Gibson guitar people talking about how one of the points the lecturer makes is messing them over.

Gibson is being harassed by our federal government over their use of wood lawfully obtained overseas. The relevant governments say that Gibson is buying wood which is lawfully exported to the U.S. in accordance with their law.

But the U.S. government disagrees with the foreign government's interpretation of their own laws and thus wants to prosecute Gibson for violating foreign laws - with the foreign government saying that the foreign laws were not violated.

That is just how utterly insane our laws are. Talking to cops when you know that everything that you have done is in accord with U.S. law and even any relevant foreign law invoked by that U.S. law could still get you prosecuted by the U.S.
Old 09-05-2011, 6:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OleCuss View Post
And I'd agree that it's not been posted one more time than it should be. I'll welcome the next hundred times it is linked - as I suspect you will as well.

Interesting to have seen the video and then hear the Gibson guitar people talking about how one of the points the lecturer makes is messing them over.

Gibson is being harassed by our federal government over their use of wood lawfully obtained overseas. The relevant governments say that Gibson is buying wood which is lawfully exported to the U.S. in accordance with their law.

But the U.S. government disagrees with the foreign government's interpretation of their own laws and thus wants to prosecute Gibson for violating foreign laws - with the foreign government saying that the foreign laws were not violated.

That is just how utterly insane our laws are. Talking to cops when you know that everything that you have done is in accord with U.S. law and even any relevant foreign law invoked by that U.S. law could still get you prosecuted by the U.S.
Remember, Martha Stewart was prosecuted for making a false statement to government agents while she was under investigation for SEC infractions. She could have remained silent, but didn't. It cost her a felony conviction and 6 months in federal prison.

If civic virtu does not reside in the people - no constitution, no bill of rights, no legislative body and no court will be able to preserve our liberties.

Unconsciously borrowed from: "Liberty lies in the hearts of men and women; when it dies there, no constitution, no law, no court can save it." — Judge Learned Hand

NONE of my posts on this website are legal advice.
I get the top bunk.
Old 09-05-2011, 7:46 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Remember, Martha Stewart was prosecuted for making a false statement to government agents while she was under investigation for SEC infractions. She could have remained silent, but didn't. It cost her a felony conviction and 6 months in federal prison.
I was raised to believe in the rule of law and that all police officers were honest and only there to help you. At 17 I got a family signature to join the Army. I have grown and learned so much since then.

My advice to every American. NEVER,NEVER give up your rights and NEVER self incriminate your self by talking to the local and especially the federal police.

I took the oath in the Army to heart and live by it, even though our government does not, they hate that oath, think about why.
Old 09-05-2011, 7:48 PM
Calguns Addict

One hundred and one.
Quote:
Originally Posted by socal2310 View Post
Only one-hundred?
Old 09-06-2011, 12:14 PM

So how does the advice from the cited video reconcile with the advice from attorneys at Armed Citizen? They claim you SHOULD talk to the police and describe what information to provide:

http://armedcitizensnetwork.org/unin...ces-of-silence

In light of the video advocating silence, I agree with not giving any statement without my attorney present. I will risk being taken into custody, and will not provide the rope to hang me.

The question remains, should you or should you not make any statement of fact?
Old 09-06-2011, 1:14 PM
I need a LIFE!!
CGN Contributor

Quote:
It should be a sticky.

Proud Life Member: National Rifle Association, the Second Amendment Foundation, and the California Rifle & Pistol Association
Old 09-06-2011, 1:23 PM
Calguns Addict

that video and a "history of injustice- CA assault weapons ban 20yrs later"should be required reading to post on calguns. It got me fired up about protecting my rghts!!
Old 09-06-2011, 1:50 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by mag360 View Post
that video and a "history of injustice- CA assault weapons ban 20yrs later"should be required reading to post on calguns. It got me fired up about protecting my rghts!!
I agree with the above. I'll bet that a study of mistemeaner DV convictions would reveal that most people talked their way into a conviction by stating things such as ," I just pushed him/her away just enough to avoid the attack, I didn't even leave a mark" or " I just took him/her by the hand to get their attention so I could say what needed to be said" or "I just moved him/her out of the way of the door so I could leave before we got into a bigger argument". All of those are more than enough contact to get you banned for life from ever owning or touching a gun.

The vast majority of people think that a lifetime ban for DV means someone had cause pain, fear or leave a mark. Have you ever seen that corona beer commercial where the woman sprays her man with a lime for looking at a pretty girl? Read the code, jury instructions and caselaw for 243e in California, that is mistemeaner domestic violence that triggers a lifetime ban under the lautenberg amendment.

Last edited by anthonyca; 09-06-2011 at 1:53 PM..
Old 09-06-2011, 4:19 PM

Quote:
I agree with the above. I'll bet that a study of mistemeaner DV convictions would reveal that most people talked their way into a conviction by stating things such as ," I just pushed him/her away just enough to avoid the attack, I didn't even leave a mark" or " I just took him/her by the hand to get their attention so I could say what needed to be said" or "I just moved him/her out of the way of the door so I could leave before we got into a bigger argument". All of those are more than enough contact to get you banned for life from ever owning or touching a gun.

The vast majority of people think that a lifetime ban for DV means someone had cause pain, fear or leave a mark. Have you ever seen that corona beer commercial where the woman sprays her man with a lime for looking at a pretty girl? Read the code, jury instructions and caselaw for 243e in California, that is mistemeaner domestic violence that triggers a lifetime ban under the lautenberg amendment.
Very Interesting that Corona made such a commercial.
Old 09-08-2011, 11:02 AM

Feds are now asking for an extension to file reply to SAC until 09/26/11.

http://docs.justia.com/cases/federal...911/215824/29/
Old 09-08-2011, 2:46 PM
I need a LIFE!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by lhecker51 View Post
So how does the advice from the cited video reconcile with the advice from attorneys at Armed Citizen? They claim you SHOULD talk to the police and describe what information to provide:

http://armedcitizensnetwork.org/unin...ces-of-silence

In light of the video advocating silence, I agree with not giving any statement without my attorney present. I will risk being taken into custody, and will not provide the rope to hang me.

The question remains, should you or should you not make any statement of fact?
Perhaps some of our lawyers on the forum would enlighten us as to the firearms-related defense success rate of Marty Hayes, J.D. as compared to the rates of groups such as Michels & Associates (ie. groups that tell us to remember that there is a reason that we have the "right to remain silent")?

I'd tend to side with the lawyer that has the best "win percentage" in the matter...and I suspect that I already know the answer to this question.
Old 09-08-2011, 5:26 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Exactly.
I learned a long time ago that even if you really are innocent, you can't talk yourself out of anything.
Stay calm, stay quiet, and get your credit cards ready haha.
Old 09-08-2011, 9:18 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by dad View Post
Are you saying the state of California does not recognize/accept expungements done in California courts?
The Feds don't. They did, now they don't. On a "will o whisp" of the law ( as quoted by Chief Justice Roberts in his decent in US V Hayes) the ATF made felons out of many cops and others who used California expungement to gain gun rights back.
Old 09-12-2011, 4:47 PM

Default Enos vs. Holder

I am new to this forum, I didn't realize my rights were revoked until i tried to purchase a rifle a week and a half ago! I have a D.V. misdemeanor conviction from 20 years ago. No one told me back then if I take the plea deal i would lose my right to bear arms for life! the one and only time I have ever had criminal issues in my entire life I am stripped of a civil right? wow. I was young and no lawyer, they sent me back in a room with a D.A. and he basicly told me what i have to do to make this go away. Plead to it, it becomes a misdemeanor,3 years probation,counciling for a year,10 year ban for firearms and your done with it. All this for defending myself from being struck,(restrained the other party by the wrists left red marks and away I went) If this case wins will I be given my rights back or do I have to file a claim in court?
Old 09-12-2011, 4:56 PM
CGN Contributor - Lifetime

Quote:
Originally Posted by deprived of 2A View Post
. No one told me back then if I take the plea deal i would lose my right to bear arms for life!
that is because the law that implemented that lifetime ban wasn't passed until ~6 years AFTER your plea.

Do you want an AOW or C&R SBS/SBR in CA?

No posts of mine are to be construed as legal advice, which can only be given by a lawyer.
Old 09-12-2011, 5:05 PM

well when the death penalty was reinstated they did'nt go back before then and pull every criminal back in and put them on death row! why would it be any different for this? I would really think this is a no brainer.