Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > FIREARMS DISCUSSIONS > Shotgun discussions
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Shotgun discussions Trap, Hunting, Defense and more. A place for enthusiasts to discuss the shotgun.

Old 12-17-2017, 5:31 PM

Default Biggest load that is safe to shoot in the air? Skeet

So I'm going out to a friends place over the holidays with with my new boom stick and I've been researching ways to make cheap/fun targets. In the process I found a video showing how to make "flashers" out of clay targets. You can get a 90 pack of clays for 6 bucks at Walmart as well as a hand launcher.

I don't know anything about skeet shooting but I'd imagine you use bird shot. What's the biggest load you can use without worrying about it raining death (or mild injury) down on people? I'd like to use 00 buck, considering I just bought 200 rounds but it doesn't sound like a good idea.

My friends place is way outa town, and people shoot around there all the time but I don't know about firing up in the air safely. I've been trying to find good guidelines for this sorta thing but I'm not having any luck
Old 12-17-2017, 5:49 PM
Calguns Addict

100rd pack of 7.5 or 8 shot at Walmart for $22 is probably your safest and cheapest bet.
than those who would seek to destroy me.
Grant me victory over my foes and those who wish to do harm to me and mine.
Let not my last thought be 'If I only had my gun."
And Lord, if today is truly the day you call me home, let me die in an empty pile of brass.
http://www.huntfishadventures.com/images/nra.gif
NRA Member
Old 12-17-2017, 5:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duncanjbf View Post
I'd like to use 00 buck, considering I just bought 200 rounds but it doesn't sound like a good idea.
Uhhh, you should probably go with your gut on that one. You are not going to get a pulverized target with just 8 or 9 lead balls, versus north of 200 pellets in a birdshot load. And out past 20 yards or beyond, it doesn't matter if you shoot like Annie Oakley, a clay pigeon can easily get through the buckshot pattern. And then there is the safety thing.

Last edited by Tanner68; 12-17-2017 at 5:59 PM..
Old 12-17-2017, 6:00 PM

The only worse thing you could have suggested was 000 or slug. Don’t do it. Get some watermelons, pumpkins, and soda, make sure you have a good backstop, and unload your 00 on those. Get some paper targets and see how well the buckshot patterns at various distances. Save the rest for home defense. Birdshot is not expensive, go to Walmart.

Old 12-17-2017, 6:10 PM

Boomstick? Oh, geeze...
Old 12-17-2017, 6:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ducky's Dad View Post
Boomstick? Oh, geeze...
Haha, actually it's a utas XTR 12 semi auto which I haven't picked up yet due to the 10 day waiting period. Idk how well it will cycle birdshot hence the need to fire a heavier shell

Last edited by Duncanjbf; 12-17-2017 at 6:16 PM.. Reason: XD
Old 12-17-2017, 6:20 PM

Quote:
...actually it's a utas XTR 12...
Even worse. Your money, your gun.
Old 12-17-2017, 6:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ducky's Dad View Post
Even worse. Your money, your gun.
Actually it's a Christmas gift from my girlfriend. I wanted a saiga but the bureaucrats insist I have to spend twice the money to have an equivalent product. I do like that I can put a .308 upper on it though
Old 12-17-2017, 6:48 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Haha, actually it's a utas XTR 12 semi auto which I haven't picked up yet due to the 10 day waiting period. Idk how well it will cycle birdshot hence the need to fire a heavier shell
There is a lot of bird shot that is more than likely more "powerful" than your buck shot.

For example Remington HyperSonic's will beat up you and your gun.
Old 12-17-2017, 6:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Huntsprig View Post
There is a lot of bird shot that is more than likely more "powerful" than your buck shot.

Yeah, 1-1/4oz @ 1700fps...NO THANKS
Old 12-17-2017, 6:59 PM

The gun doesn't know what kind of shot is in the shells and doesn't have any preference.
Old 12-17-2017, 7:00 PM
Veteran Member

Default ><

No OO buck ----very unsafe and just plain wrong

Any target or hunting shells loaded with # 7 1/2 or #8 are GTO ....some may not cycle Semi Auto shotguns

Biggest bang --- (sold at Walmart) Federal Classic Hi-Brass 12 Gauge 2 3/4" 1 1/4 oz. # 7 1/2 shot

More fun----break the tops of the clays before throwing them

And FYI---- "Skeet" is a game payed on a Skeet Field, you will be shooting hand thrown clays not Skeet.

Be safe
Old 12-17-2017, 7:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Huntsprig View Post

Good point, thanks. I imagine birdshot would be pretty boring to shoot though right? When not shooting the clays that is...
Old 12-17-2017, 7:06 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ceh383 View Post
Yeah, 1-1/4oz @ 1700fps...NO THANKS
My favorite for Geese......Not that bad with a fitting and tuned gun. Shot a box on yesterday morning when we hit the mother-load of Geese.

Last edited by Thefeeder; 12-17-2017 at 7:09 PM..
Old 12-17-2017, 7:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thefeeder View Post
More fun----break the tops of the clays before throwing them
What does that do?
Old 12-17-2017, 7:12 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:

Ya really need to do some research on shotgun shells ....and not the Tac sites....lot of misinformation from Tac shotgun owners floating around
Old 12-17-2017, 7:13 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
What does that do?
Its a surprise..
Old 12-17-2017, 7:26 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
So I'm going out to a friends place over the holidays with with my new boom stick and I've been researching ways to make cheap/fun targets. In the process I found a video showing how to make "flashers" out of clay targets. You can get a 90 pack of clays for 6 bucks at Walmart as well as a hand launcher.

I don't know anything about skeet shooting but I'd imagine you use bird shot. What's the biggest load you can use without worrying about it raining death (or mild injury) down on people? I'd like to use 00 buck, considering I just bought 200 rounds but it doesn't sound like a good idea.

My friends place is way outa town, and people shoot around there all the time but I don't know about firing up in the air safely. I've been trying to find good guidelines for this sorta thing but I'm not having any luck

There's a lot going on here...

Hand launchers are fun, it takes a bit to learn how to throw the clay but it makes for a fun target.

Skeet is the name of a specific clay game, you will not be playing skeet, you'll be shooting hand thrown clays.

You should use birdshot for both skeet and hand thrown clays.

Most people will use 7-1/2 or 8 shot for skeet or hand thrown clays, which is readily available, cheap, and relatively safe.

Don't use the buckshot. It'll be hard to hit the clay with so few pellets and the pellets will retain far too much energy for far to long extending the danger zone behind your shooting area.

Rules about firing into the air are easy and pretty common sense. If you need to shoot above the horizon, you need to shoot birdshot.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shot_(pellet)

Just pick up a couple of hundred packs of #8 or #7-1/2 target/field loads at Wal-Mart when you pick up your clays.
Old 12-17-2017, 8:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thefeeder View Post
My favorite for Geese......Not that bad with a fitting and tuned gun. Shot a box on yesterday morning when we hit the mother-load of Geese.
As a hunting load, sure, but for clay shooting where you can go through several hundred shells in a day...I still say NO THANKS!
Old 12-17-2017, 8:17 PM

Thanks for all the good info
Old 12-17-2017, 8:57 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ceh383 View Post
As a hunting load, sure, but for clay shooting where you can go through several hundred shells in a day...I still say NO THANKS!
That goes without saying
Old 12-18-2017, 2:14 AM

I use a one ounce, 7 1/2 size shot target load.....in both my 20 and 12 gauge shotguns. Will do a fine job on clay's and won't beat you up at the end of the day.
Also usually the cheapest ammo too!
Old 12-18-2017, 10:02 AM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue View Post
100rd pack of 7.5 or 8 shot at Walmart for $22 is probably your safest and cheapest bet.
^^^^this. You'll have more fun actually breaking targets. At hand thrower distances #9 could be even better, but tend to cost more as they aren't promo loads.

#Blackolivesmatter
Old 12-18-2017, 10:27 AM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JagerDog View Post
^^^^this. You'll have more fun actually breaking targets. At hand thrower distances #9 could be even better, but tend to cost more as they aren't promo loads.
Dicks Sporting Goods sells a promo Winchester and they come in 1oz #9 shot loaded at 1180fps. I know because my wife broke her first 25 straight with it and I just bought a whole bunch of it hoping she can get to 50.