Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > CONCEALED CARRY/LICENSE TO CARRY > Calguns Concealed Carry County Information Forum
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Calguns Concealed Carry County Information Forum Information on how to get a LTC in yourCounty

Old 03-23-2015, 8:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suture1 View Post
Guys,

Here is what I received in the mail yesterday. The qualification was the item I was wondering about. It does not look too bad, provided one has been practicing with his/her CCW carry gun.

I will schedule the course and report back to the group how it goes.
If I were you, I will ask the type/size of Target you will be shooting at from Calguns members that are Alameda LEO.

Good luck.
Old 03-24-2015, 5:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Best sale View Post
If I were you, I will ask the type/size of Target you will be shooting at from Calguns members that are Alameda LEO.

Good luck.
Says on the form which gives the criteria that it is a B-21F target... would it be any different at the range than what they specify in the requirements?
Old 03-27-2015, 9:03 AM

The B21F target is extremely large. Just FYI. I don't know what type of qualification they require but if it's anything like the basic LEO qualification, 240 out of 300 is passing. I'm not an excellent marksman by any means but I typically shoot 290-300 all day
Old 04-07-2015, 7:29 AM

Guys,

Does anyone else have any updates?
Old 04-22-2015, 8:31 PM

Damn this Alameda county process is bs, just plain bs.
Old 05-22-2015, 5:46 AM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Has anyone heard from Howard Ruiz-Harrison regarding their CCW Class Certificate lately? He seems to be MIA
Old 05-23-2015, 5:55 PM

Given the new federal ruling, is it now possible for a regular citizen in Alameda to get a CCW?

What's the process? Where do I start?

thank you!!
Old 05-25-2015, 7:36 AM
I need a LIFE!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by pimlico View Post
Given the new federal ruling, is it now possible for a regular citizen in Alameda to get a CCW?
Not yet. See: http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/s...d.php?t=893452

and

https://www.alamedacountysheriff.org/admin_ia_ccw.php

Quote:
Originally Posted by pimlico View Post
What's the process? Where do I start?
https://www.alamedacountysheriff.org/admin_ia_ccw.php

Per the OP, fill out and turn in an app to get a place in line. IF WE WIN en banc, expect a FLOOD of applicants, just like what happened in Ventura and Orange counties where they got thousands of applications within a few weeks and appointments were pushed out to, IIRC, over a year.

If we lose en banc, you can be sure our side will ask SCOTUS for cert ASAP and, hopefully, they'll take it and give us a decision before 2016 July 01. If we win at SCOTUS, America will closer to what our Founders desired.

If we lose at SCOTUS....
Old 06-27-2015, 10:58 AM
I need a LIFE!!

We should no longer assume the "Heller 5" will say our RKBA protected by the 2nd A "shall not be infringed."

We've got to adapt to this "new reality" until we get some reason to think otherwise. Folks who work in Ala Co should check out my new thread:
http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/s...php?p=16522545

I've also updated the OP.

Old 07-01-2015, 10:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by md2bpo View Post
Has anyone heard from Howard Ruiz-Harrison regarding their CCW Class Certificate lately? He seems to be MIA
My dad just took his class last week, his price is up to 330.00 now, seems a little ridiculous if you ask me, went from 200 to 300 when I took it a couple months ago, to 330 now.
Old 07-02-2015, 8:24 AM
I need a LIFE!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by LandLord View Post
My dad just took his class last week, his price is up to 330.00 now, seems a little ridiculous if you ask me, went from 200 to 300 when I took it a couple months ago, to 330 now.
You may want to pass this along to CGF:
https://www.calgunsfoundation.org/ge...sue-reporting/
Old 07-04-2015, 6:25 PM

There are other classes accepted by ACSO: Security Six, Defensive Accuracy, Chabot Range, just to name a few. The deputy who interviewed me recommended Denise King of Defensive Accuracy.
Old 07-15-2015, 3:23 PM

Finally had my ACSO qualification at the training facility in Dublin (literally right behind Santa Rita Jail). Started at noon, they have you watch a few videos and give a classroom style lecture on use of deadly force, firearm safety, etc. The instructor was VERY pro 2A and helpful answering questions. He checked us in with our ID's and also check our guns (model and serial) against a spreadsheet.
Hit the range at 3pm and we all qualified by 3:45! 8 or 9 of us there, most were renewing their CCW I believe.
Overall, a positive and professional experience. A gentlemen asked the instructor what the "next steps" were and he was going to "submit our scores to the office and we should receive our permits a few weeks after." Not sure if there were any Calgunners there, but if so, congratulations!!

Last edited by Suture1; 07-15-2015 at 4:21 PM.. Reason: typing on a very small screen
Old 07-15-2015, 4:34 PM

Congratulations! Great job sticking with it!

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk
Old 07-15-2015, 11:08 PM

Congrats, thanks for the narrative!
Old 07-16-2015, 2:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonl View Post
Congratulations! Great job sticking with it!

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk
^^^^
Old 07-17-2015, 1:46 PM

Awesome! glad to hear it.

Still waiting to get a call/email for the livescan and psyche. Interview was May 1 of this year.
Old 07-17-2015, 1:55 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Congrats! So I got on the list to apply too 16 months ago. They accepted my good cause and was scheduled for psych etc too. Problem was, in Feb, I realized I was moving to El Do Hills. Alameda said by the time they issue it to me, I'd already have moved and it would then be void anyway. So I withdrew in March and put in an app in EL Do County. It's not from Alameda, but my quest is finally over. I got mine last week. Good luck all!

Last edited by md2bpo; 07-17-2015 at 1:57 PM..
Old 07-17-2015, 6:03 PM
I need a LIFE!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by md2bpo View Post
Congrats! So I got on the list to apply too 16 months ago. They accepted my good cause and was scheduled for psych etc too. Problem was, in Feb, I realized I was moving to El Do Hills. Alameda said by the time they issue it to me, I'd already have moved and it would then be void anyway. So I withdrew in March and put in an app in EL Do County. It's not from Alameda, but my quest is finally over. I got mine last week. Good luck all!
Be sure to post what you remember of your timeline & experience in the El Dorado Co thread. When you do that, then I'll post "Congrats!"
Old 07-17-2015, 6:38 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paladin View Post
Be sure to post what you remember of your timeline & experience in the El Dorado Co thread. When you do that, then I'll post "Congrats!"
Ha. COMPLETE:

http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/s...352746&page=10
Old 07-25-2015, 3:52 PM

APPROVED!!!

All, I just received my approval letter from the ACSO Oakland office. Need to call Judea in the office to schedule an appointment to finalize some paperwork.

Here is my timeline on this endeavor:

5/9/14 Initial application dropped off
7/10/14 Interview
11/26/14 Notice to proceed to Live Scan
12/3/14 Live Scan
12/17/14 CCW training class
1/9/15 Notice to schedule psych evaluation
1/27/15 Psych evaluation
3/19/15 Notice to schedule range qualification
7/15/15 Range qualification
7/25/15 Approval notice

I wanted to thank all of you for the fantastic feedback and sharing your stories on how your individual applications are transpiring. It is nice to know that even average civilians can be legally armed in this state. I told you guys I was going to see this thru to the end and was going to get my CCW. One comment I would like to make is that the ACSO staff have ALL been very courteous and professional throughout this process. Not once have I felt that I was going down the wrong path or dissuaded.

I will follow up with a pic (censored of course) on what this unicorn of a license looks like for the group once I pick it up.

Hope all of this info, documenting the experience and my optimism all help to inspire more Calgunners to get their applications in!!!

Feel free to PM me with any questions.
Old 07-25-2015, 4:08 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Congrats Suture!

PM sent
Old 07-25-2015, 5:21 PM
I need a LIFE!!

Quote:
APPROVED!!!

All, I just received my approval letter from the ACSO Oakland office.

Hope all of this info, documenting the experience and my optimism all help to inspire more Calgunners to get their applications in!!!

Feel free to PM me with any questions.
I'm sure others here would like to know:

What was your Good Cause like? (Of course, not so much detail so as you ID you, but just roughly.)

What was the interview like? (With whom? How long? Where?)

What was the psych eval like? (With whom? How long? Written test? Details? Oral interview? Details?)

Were letters of recommendation required? If so, how many and by whom? Neighbor visits? Any other unnecessary GMC stuff?

Oh, and

Congrats!

Last edited by Paladin; 07-25-2015 at 5:26 PM..
Old 07-25-2015, 10:55 PM

Quote:
APPROVED!!!

All, I just received my approval letter from the ACSO Oakland office. Need to call Judea in the office to schedule an appointment to finalize some paperwork.
Happy for you man,
You got to be one of the chosen few,...... No, more like 1 of the chosen 4.... . Regardless, enjoy it man & stay safer. "hope the grammar lords will allow me to get away with that expression"
Good luck .
Old 07-26-2015, 6:07 AM

"What was your Good Cause like?"
- I have a federal firearms license (FFL) and deal with guns, people and large sums of cash. I also stated for lawful self defense.

"What was the interview like?"
- Interviewed with Deputy Goodall at the CCW unit's office on Lakeside Dr in Oakland. It lasted about 45 minutes. He already had my application paperwork and mainly reviewed and confirmed things like address, DOB, employment, listed firearms etc. on the ACSO initial application form (did not even open the CA DOJ application). We discussed my good cause statement and I was asked to follow up with bank statements showing the cash transactions. He was going to do the background check by contacting the PD's from my addresses listed and make the recommendation that I either proceed or stop the process. I believe they use the interview to weed out the "valid GC" statements from the others.

"What was the psych eval like?"
- (Quoting my post from 1/27/15 -- Met with Debra Tong MD in Concord): So I just got done with the psych evaluation in Concord. Got there at 8:50 and didn't leave till almost 1:30pm. You start out in a room with tables and a few other people and take a 12 min written test and then work on three booklets of questions on a few scantron forms. I think the first test had 344 questions and the second had 450+ questions. There is a personality quiz and then a fairly detailed question form on past military and police history, criminal history and drug use history. Keep in mind that these are the same application exams that the new hires for Alameda County fire and police must go thru. Had a quick lunch and then a 35 min interview with the psychologist to clarify some of my responses and to substantiate why I wanted to carry a firearm (not be a danger to myself and others). This step pretty much sucked.

"Were letters of recommendation required? If so, how many and by whom? Neighbor visits? Any other unnecessary GMC stuff?"
- No letters were provided or asked for. I did include the contact #'s from 3 coworkers, but none were contacted.
- No neighbor visits that I am aware of.

Keep in mind that the deputy who held the qualification class in Dublin stated there were only a few hundred CCW holders in the county (200 to 300 I guess). We need to change that.

Last edited by Suture1; 07-26-2015 at 6:09 AM.. Reason: More info.
Old 07-28-2015, 7:14 PM

Here it is:

Picked it up today in Oakland. Judy takes your pic in the HR office one floor down (6th floor) and prints the ID card right there. She also gave me the DOJ "rice paper" copy which she kindly laminated. Has the same info as the plastic card. I'm not going to post that one as it has my address and would be too hard to blur (you understand).

I asked Judy how many permit holders there are currently and she told me I was #201 in the ENTIRE county. Yep, my jaw dropped too - 201 people out of 1,579,000 (2013 census) residents.

Last edited by Suture1; 07-28-2015 at 7:18 PM.. Reason: More info to convey
Old 07-28-2015, 8:11 PM
I need a LIFE!!

Quote:
I asked Judy how many permit holders there are currently and she told me I was #201 in the ENTIRE county. Yep, my jaw dropped too - 201 people out of 1,579,000 (2013 census) residents.

CCWs are good for 2 years. Did you ask her how many criminals who carried w/o a CCW shot people in the previous 2 years in Alameda County?

Did you tell her right now there are >12M CCWers in the US and that 42 states are Shall Issue (or better) and that NONE of them have had any problems?

Did you tell her that within CA, out of the 58 counties, 44 reasonably issue (or better) CCWs? That CCWers living in Solano, San Joaquin and Stanislaus counties are coming into Alameda Co as we speak, carrying those scary "hidden handguns"?

You didn't? Well then, what the heck did you talk about??? LOL!

Last edited by Paladin; 07-29-2015 at 5:27 AM..
Old 07-29-2015, 4:55 AM

I grabbed my license and ran out of there!
Old 07-29-2015, 5:35 AM
I need a LIFE!!

Quote:
I grabbed my license and ran out of there!
As you clenched it close to your heart and said "My Precious!"
Old 07-29-2015, 6:04 PM
Calguns Addict

I'm glad for Suture getting his CCW, but reading his ordeal is disheartening. I'm not sure I'll ever apply for a CCW in Alameda county. My experience in getting a CCW while living in VA has given me a different set of expectations.
Old 07-29-2015, 6:14 PM

Let me just say congrats!

As another person denied his rights in ALCO I am glad you got you LTC.

Just the G42? What's the actual limit?
Old 07-29-2015, 7:31 PM

Only one gun at a time. We have to requalify each year and renew CCW every two years. So basically you try a gun out for 12 months.
Old 07-29-2015, 10:45 PM

Quote:
Only one gun at a time. We have to requalify each year and renew CCW every two years. So basically you try a gun out for 12 months.
Uggg...
Old 07-30-2015, 8:06 AM
CGSSA Coordinator

I thought you were allowed three guns on your permit.
Old 07-30-2015, 8:07 PM

ACSO allows only 1 but if you qualifies over 90% with your primary gun you may request to add a second.
Old 07-31-2015, 5:22 PM
I need a LIFE!!

Quote:
Great. So, if it breaks and you have to send it off for repairs, you're SOL...
Old 08-05-2015, 9:50 AM

Wow! What a pain in the ***. Good to get that box to you today. Happy Carrying! What"s your one gun to carry on the permit?
Old 08-05-2015, 9:59 AM
Calguns Addict

Congratulations thank you for reporting all that you have.

but really these government agencies need to look up the word "infringed" in the dictionary...
As in
"shall not be infringed".
Old 08-05-2015, 10:36 AM

Glad for you suture1.

I wonder how many citizens carry without the permit? Pretty ridiculous this process.
Old 08-05-2015, 1:37 PM

I am packing a Glock 42 at the moment