Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > CONCEALED CARRY/LICENSE TO CARRY > Non-California Permits/Licenses
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Non-California Permits/Licenses For out of State License/Permit discussion

Old 07-12-2017, 7:02 AM

Default Nevada CCW - Instructor Recommendations?

i have some free time, and the airlines have a $121 round trip sale from sjc to reno, so i figure ill fly up there, visit with some friends, and get my nevada ccw all on the same trip!

any recommendations for an instructor?

it would be ideal if i could do it without a rental car, but that may not be possible.

thanks,

mark
Old 07-12-2017, 6:09 PM
short bus driver

Reno = Washoe County Sheriff Department

Washo County Sheriff Department list of approved NV CCW trainers

In the past, several forum members have recommend Armed and Safe for NV CCW training in the Reno/Sparks/Carson City area.

Because the NV CCW training for initial applicants takes between 6-8 hours (class + range qualification), it typically take about 2 days for you to get everything done.
One day for CCW training and one day for application submission (typically done Mon-Fri 0900-1700 hrs).

"If someone has a gun and is trying to kill you, it would be reasonable to shoot back with your own gun. - Dalai Lama (Seattle Times, 05-15-2001).

Last edited by Quiet; 07-12-2017 at 6:48 PM..
Old 07-12-2017, 6:22 PM
☆☆ More Cowbell ☆☆
CGN Contributor

Armed and Safe. You can get it done in one day but it will be a long day. And you will need a car. The class usually starts early AM at the range outside the city, finishes up in a classroom somewhere else (my class was at Scheels), then you drive to the Sheriff and apply (weekdays only IIRC). So a car is a must.

"Texans always move them!"
General Robert E. Lee, May 6, 1864 - Battle of the Wilderness

Last edited by SkyHawk; 07-12-2017 at 6:44 PM..
Old 07-13-2017, 3:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SkyHawk View Post
Armed and Safe. You can get it done in one day but it will be a long day. And you will need a car. The class usually starts early AM at the range outside the city, finishes up in a classroom somewhere else (my class was at Scheels), then you drive to the Sheriff and apply (weekdays only IIRC). So a car is a must.
i wonder if vegas would be a better choice? my wife just found some $113 fares there, and everything seems closer/no car...
Old 07-13-2017, 6:01 AM

It will take 2 days to get your CCW in Washoe County, first day for class, second day to apply at the Washoe County SO. They only allow CCW applications from 7:30 am - 3:30 pm weekdays. Reno Guns and Range offers classes and they are near the airport, classroom and qualification are at their indoor range so no need to travel.
Old 07-13-2017, 6:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SkyHawk View Post
^^^ This. Take the Carson class. Turn around time from Carson is faster than Reno. Kelly and Allan are great people and run a good program. You can also get paperwork for UT / OR as well if wanted. http://www.armedandsafe.com/
ETA: no affilation, just a satisfied return client.

Last edited by DGoodale; 07-13-2017 at 6:40 AM..
Old 07-13-2017, 4:31 PM

Kelly/Allan http://www.armedandsafe.com/ have got it figured out pretty well. I did a Carson class which started at 4am and was all done by lunchtime. A small group of us headed down to the Sheriff's office to turn in paperwork right after and was on the way home an hour later. Weird schedule but worked out great.
Old 07-15-2017, 12:55 PM

Thanks for all the info, but the airfare etc my wife found for vegas worked out so much better so im going there!
Old 08-09-2017, 8:37 PM
Veteran Member

Nevada has a NON-Resident Carry permit? Didn't know that....
Old 08-10-2017, 3:25 PM
short bus driver

Quote:
Originally Posted by deephouse View Post
Nevada has a NON-Resident Carry permit? Didn't know that....
Nevada started issuing non-resident permits on 09-01-2001.

"If someone has a gun and is trying to kill you, it would be reasonable to shoot back with your own gun. - Dalai Lama (Seattle Times, 05-15-2001).
Old 08-10-2017, 4:33 PM

Is AZ permit good in NV?
Old 08-10-2017, 7:48 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by markgca View Post
Thanks for all the info, but the airfare etc my wife found for vegas worked out so much better so im going there!

Curious then, what training class will you be taking if flying into LAS (instead of Tahoe)?

I'm asking because I go to Vegas a few times a year, one of which is for Work (tech convention) and I could potentially work my way into making that part of my schedule... provided I knew where to go for CCW training and the application process the following day.

Thanks for the Info, and best of luck!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 08-10-2017, 10:05 PM

Get an AZ non-resident permit by mail and save money and time.
Old 08-12-2017, 4:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by deephouse View Post
Curious then, what training class will you be taking if flying into LAS (instead of Tahoe)?

I'm asking because I go to Vegas a few times a year, one of which is for Work (tech convention) and I could potentially work my way into making that part of my schedule... provided I knew where to go for CCW training and the application process the following day.

Thanks for the Info, and best of luck!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
i wanted a class that did classroom and shooting inside a single facility on the strip near where i would be staying.

so that narrowed it down quite a bit.

i am going with therange702. i emailed several places, but these guys responded quickly, gave me good info, and seemed extremely flexible right down to offering to loan me a gun at no charge if i dont bring one (as long as i buy their ammo of course, but quoted $15 for a box which is cheaper than where i live). it starts at 10am and runs until 6 "at the latest".

ill be there the end of august, will write a review when i return.
Old 08-13-2017, 5:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by labelboy View Post
Is AZ permit good in NV?
From what I can tell, yes, even for a non-resident of AZ. AZ permits don't differentiate between resident and non-resident, that may be why.

The recognition/reciprocity is only good for 60 days in NV, and if you become a resident there it ceases to be legal and they expect you to get a NV resident permit. Fortunately, those are fairly easy to get.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DTENG View Post
Get an AZ non-resident permit by mail and save money and time.
markgca is saying he wants to get an NV permit, not just how to carry legally in NV. Some people juggle geese!

I do believe that where there is a choice only between cowardice and violence
I would advise violence. - M. Gandhi
You're my kind of stupid. - M. Reynolds
Old 08-17-2017, 1:29 PM

LFI Guns does NV classes.... I believe in September they have one in Reno...
Old 09-03-2017, 4:17 PM

so i ended up going to Las Vegas due to incredibly cheap airfare.
Took the class at The Range 702, which was on the south end of the strip and very easy to get to. they also had an indoor range, so the entire class was taught at the single facility; no need to drive to a separate range which saved a lot of time.

they did a great job overall. one miscommunication; they offered me a free gun to use if i bought their ammo (i didnt feel like dealing with the airline), and it turned out the person who told me that in writing was wrong. but they honored it anyway, so no harm.

took the paperwork to the Metro PD the next day (Thursday). Discovered a method to make your trip much shorter than expected: arrive earlier than 8am, they give out 'reservation' numbers to save your place in line since they dont actually open until 8. Then at 8am they line you up according to your number, and process you. I arrived at quarter to, was #8, did final paperwork/fingerprints and was out the door at 8:28am!

Great experience, should have the permit in 120 days.

i have to say the Las Vegas Metro police were very nice and helpful even knowing i was there for a ccw. Not at all like their counterparts in Santa Clara County who seem to think that no one except them should even own a gun...
Old 09-04-2017, 1:17 PM

Sounds like a good way to go, and a whole different world than the typical CA experience. Mind if I ask what your costs were?

Quote:
Originally Posted by markgca View Post
one miscommunication; they offered me a free gun to use if i bought their ammo (i didnt feel like dealing with the airline), and it turned out the person who told me that in writing was wrong. but they honored it anyway, so no harm.
Nice customer service there, it would've been all too easy to blow it off and make you spend more, especially since you're an out-of-towner.

I do believe that where there is a choice only between cowardice and violence
I would advise violence. - M. Gandhi
You're my kind of stupid. - M. Reynolds
Old 09-05-2017, 1:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrOrange View Post
Sounds like a good way to go, and a whole different world than the typical CA experience. Mind if I ask what your costs were?

Nice customer service there, it would've been all too easy to blow it off and make you spend more, especially since you're an out-of-towner.
class was $75, box of 9mm ammo was $17 including tax. Lunch was about $6 (they had hot dogs, drinks etc on site, so didnt have to break long for lunch). I think they also did Utah add on for $25 if you wanted that.

and LVPD was $96.25 for fingerprints, picture, processing, etc. and they took credit cards!

Renting a gun would have been $15 if they hadn't offered one for free. Still a good deal, and they had many to choose from. I didnt bring my own since i knew i would be sitting at the LVPD for some time, and firearms are not allowed there.

overall a really good experience.
Old 09-06-2017, 9:12 PM

Just wanted to give a quick plug for Steve at Safe Shooters Firearms Academy in Reno. Great time, and a really great instructor. Still waiting on Washoe to send me my permit, but in the intervening time, used the certs from Steve's class to get UT, FL and NH.