Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > INTERESTS AND ACTIVITIES > Gunsmithing & How To
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Gunsmithing & How To Pro, Amateur & WECSOG and Tutorials, Guides & OLL Build Instructions

Old 10-02-2013, 12:28 PM

Default S&W MP9 trigger concern

My MP9 trigger feels like it has grit or sand somewhere when I pull the trigger back..however, when I pull slide back in lock position there is no trigger issue, it is smooth..any comments appreciated on how I could fix this problem.
Or what might be the problem.

Last edited by mike kays; 10-02-2013 at 7:26 PM..
Old 10-02-2013, 9:30 PM

I had the same concern with my M&P 9. YouTube has some great videos. I used 600 wet and dry sandpaper to clean off "grit" and a Dremel to polish the silver trigger loop. Made a huge difference. Just go slow, you do not want to remove alot of material.. Just lightly sand and polish.
Old 10-02-2013, 9:48 PM

they all have the similar problem. They tend to smooth out as you shoot them, careful with the dremel, use a mild polish like glitz or even crest toothpaste, dry fire . Small investment in an APEX trigger, DCAEK, and a RAM will make you fall in love with the m&p
Old 10-03-2013, 6:34 AM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike kays View Post
My MP9 trigger feels like it has grit or sand somewhere when I pull the trigger back..however, when I pull slide back in lock position there is no trigger issue, it is smooth..any comments appreciated on how I could fix this problem.
Or what might be the problem.
It's the striker safety, they all have that gritty feeling. The Apex kit fixes it, or you can have a gunsmith fix it.

Google it, there are videos on youtube on how to fix it

Old 10-03-2013, 7:06 AM

Yes, it's the striker safety. I polished mine by chucking it in my hand drill and carefully ran it against some emory cloth. I also polished up the trigger bar where it contacts the safety and the gritty feel during take-up is just about gone.
“People who follow the rules can protect themselves and their families from people who don’t follow the rules. The Second Amendment should never be an afterthought. It should reside at the forefronts of our minds.
Old 10-03-2013, 7:47 AM

my knowledge of tear down for my M&P is limited to field stripping for cleaning. Is taking off and polishing the striker safety something I could easily accomplish, or should I take it to a gunsmith.
I'm unfamiliar with an APEX trigger, DCAEK, and a RAM mentioned. Is that something a gunsmith should do?
If so can anyone recommend a good gunsmith in Folsom/Sacramento area?
Old 10-03-2013, 10:27 AM

Almost every pistol manufacturer is applying lapping compounds on key areas to smooth out parts that they were to cheap to pay someone to do at the factory.

They can sometimes have a slight gritty feel and affect trigger pull and you really should not do any type of complete cleaning untill you have shot at least 250 rounds.

You can always add lapping compund later on to key areas and work the action and trigger until it is all smooth.

BUT VERY IMPORTANT you must clean out all of the lapping compound or it will continue to polish and eventually wear down parts to be out of tolerance.
Old 10-03-2013, 2:32 PM

I checked out the youtube videos and did the simple test to see if my gritty feel was due to the striker safety..I am assuming that is what you call the small metal cylinder with a spring on the top that fits into the rear of the slide. I put a small pointer into the small openiong in the slide from the rear of the slide and pushed up on the striker safety..most of the gritty feeling went away in the trigger..the video showed a small barb of metal in the shaft that holds the striker safety..the guy took it out with a abrasive wheel bit using slow rpm drill.

Last edited by mike kays; 10-03-2013 at 2:35 PM..
Old 10-03-2013, 3:06 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike kays View Post
the guy took it out with a abrasive wheel bit using slow rpm drill.
Correct