Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > FIREARMS DISCUSSIONS > Centerfire Rifles - Semiautomatic or Gas Operated
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Centerfire Rifles - Semiautomatic or Gas Operated Centerfire rifles, carbines and other gas operated rifles.

Old 02-23-2017, 10:19 AM

Arteel this is the best option I have seen for AK's, it looks good! Is there a way to put a metal insert between the nut plate and the fin and still print over it? It would stiffen it up a lot.
Old 02-23-2017, 10:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by asphaltsucks View Post
Arteel this is the best option I have seen for AK's, it looks good! Is there a way to put a metal insert between the nut plate and the fin and still print over it? It would stiffen it up a lot.
If it can appear to bend out of the way for your thumb to poke through it is huge risk to take.
I considered the same idea but using a steel sheet frame that secured at a second point like the bottom of the grip too and use my plastic fin attached to that. The problem was grips vary widely by length, width, and angle. Not to mention a less invasive way of attaching to the bottom than my current method I use on my grip fins (screw the fin right on the grip)

Senator Leland Yee ^
Old 02-23-2017, 10:37 AM

Tagged
Old 03-03-2017, 12:02 PM
Veteran Member

Bumping for some updated links in the first post.
Old 03-03-2017, 12:44 PM

I hope this thread is helping people see there are many options out there to avoid the registration.
Also can anyone post links to kits for pinning the collapsing stocks? lol, never mind, its in the first post

I have a couple pics for the AR's now (muzzle device is a brake). They will fit any stock type (the collapsing stock lower still has a mag lock as the stock is not pinned yet). And I also threw in a pic of a shorty RPK that shows the fin fitting that stock type too.

Senator Leland Yee ^

Last edited by V8MERC124; 03-03-2017 at 12:50 PM..
Old 03-03-2017, 4:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ezb57 View Post
Yes, I love mine. Handles like all the millions of rifles we have had forever.
Fightlite just needs to ramp up the production (and make the bolt HO standard).
I love mine as well. I have not used a grip wrapped weapon, but the ergonomics look very suspect to me. While different, the SCR feels very familiar and handles great IMO.

If it gets more popular then maybe we'll see trigger kits for it and whatnot.

Looks like Fightlite (was Ares) is now producing them again although I have not seen lowers only for sale yet. As soon as they are I will be buying another.
Old 03-04-2017, 8:16 AM
Veteran Member

Exile Machine has been so kind as to give away their 3D model files for the BCM Mod 2 and CAA UPG 16/47 grips:

The 3D model files for Backfin for BCM Mod 2 and Backfin for CAA UPG 16/47 have been released under a Creative Commons - Attribution / Share-alike license and are FREE to download, modify, and use by anyone who wants to.

Suggested print settings and recommended materials are provided on the Thingiverse pages for each, and these are provided AS-IS, without warranty of any kind. User assumes all risk of use.

Link to Exile's thread here
Old 03-08-2017, 6:45 PM
Señor Member
CGN Contributor - Lifetime

Yaaaa.... I wouldn't want to be the test case for that one.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dantodd View Post
A just government will not be overthrown by force or violence because the people have no incentive to overthrow a just government. If a small minority of people attempt such an insurrection to grab power and enslave the people, the RKBA of the whole is our insurance against their success.
Old 03-08-2017, 10:56 PM

Default exile machine backfins

20170308_213024.jpg

Exile machine backfin with thumbrest are great to shoot. I shoot left handed so I got the left hand version installed on most of my ar15s. I wish they made backfins for the IWI tavors. Kydex wraps just don't look that great on tavors.

Last edited by kauaiboy; 03-08-2017 at 11:00 PM.. Reason: more to say
Old 03-09-2017, 8:26 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Citizen One View Post
The "Tubb Precision AR-15 Up-Tight Grip (Black Composite)" might comply if webbing of intended grasp is considered over possible grasp. There are additionally left- and right-handed versions.
It's cool, but clearly it "allows for a pistol style grasp in which the web of the trigger hand (between the thumb and index finger) can be placed below the top exposed portion of the trigger" so it is a "A pistol grip that protrudes conspicuously beneath the action of the weapon."
Old 03-16-2017, 8:28 AM
Veteran Member

Aim Sports now has their M4 Stock Lock Pins available

https://aimsportsinc.com/m4-stock-lock-pin.html

And their Magpul Stock Lock Pins:

https://aimsportsinc.com/magpul-stock-lock-pin.html

Old 03-16-2017, 8:52 AM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

That is a NICE SETUP there Kauiboy! Looks great!

Quote:
Originally Posted by kauaiboy View Post
Attachment 588184

Exile machine backfin with thumbrest are great to shoot. I shoot left handed so I got the left hand version installed on most of my ar15s. I wish they made backfins for the IWI tavors. Kydex wraps just don't look that great on tavors.
It's one thing to question everything . . . It's entirely another thing to reject simple, rational explanations in favor of ever more fantastic and far reaching explanations because you've decided the government cannot be trusted.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoooper View Post
Anyone who says the American dream requires a specific pay range doesn't understand the meaning of the American dream
Old 03-16-2017, 8:56 AM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kauaiboy View Post
Attachment 588184

The backfin is my favorite. The thumbrest allows you to get a solid grip and a more natural holding position.
Old 03-16-2017, 9:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Citizen One View Post
The "Tubb Precision AR-15 Up-Tight Grip (Black Composite)" might comply if webbing of intended grasp is considered over possible grasp. There are additionally left- and right-handed versions.
http://www.davidtubb.com/ar15-tubb-p...osite-version2
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jltZP8qwkTs

IANAL. Come to your own conclusion. Any weapon can be held like a pistol if you are creative enough. Such as holding an "evil wood rifle" by buttstock with hand upside down and firing with pinky (thumb webbing below top of trigger line). Hence intended grasp versus possible grasp. I feel this grip would allow safer operation than others as the shooter retains full control authority over the fire select lever. It appears to be designed for pure marksmanship sport. CA compliance is a potential side benefit. However new regs need to come out before we can say for sure.

I am more than a little disturbed when an American national champion's sport-oriented product may be rejected. But the spirit, letter, interpretation, and application of CA laws has always been perverse. I reserve comment.
Sure looks like a pistol grip to me. I think a jury would find that guilty.

But it does technically comply with the existing regs. (The existing regs should not change concerning the definition of a pistol grip, as that section has not changed. The DOJ tried to change it, but the CRPA was on the job)
Old 03-16-2017, 9:18 AM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Christopher761 View Post
Sure looks like a pistol grip to me. I think a jury would find that guilty.

But it does technically comply with the existing regs. (The existing regs should not change concerning the definition of a pistol grip, as that section has not changed. The DOJ tried to change it, but the CRPA was on the job)
There is nothing to prevent the user from dropping their thumb off of the shelf and gripping as a regular pistol grip with low thumb hold.

This one is a no-go IMO.

Even though the intent may be to use the thumb rest, I think CADOJ will view it like they did the SIG Brace . . . if it can be easily utilized in a way that defeats the intent of the law, it will not be allowed.

Last edited by onelonehorseman; 03-16-2017 at 9:25 AM..
Old 03-16-2017, 9:42 AM
Veteran Member

Quote:
But it does technically comply with the existing regs.
No. It clearly does not.

Copied from my post just above:

It "allows for a pistol style grasp in which the web of the trigger hand (between the thumb and index finger) can be placed below the top exposed portion of the trigger" so it is a "A pistol grip that protrudes conspicuously beneath the action of the weapon."

It may be intended not to, but it allows the web of the hand to grasp it below the top of the exposed portion of the trigger.

Further, it even looks to me like in the intended position, the web of your hand would still be just barely below the top of the exposed portion of the trigger.

This thing is by definition a "pistol grip that protrudes conspicuously beneath the action of the weapon", a "feature".

Last edited by MudCamper; 03-16-2017 at 9:47 AM..
Old 03-16-2017, 2:41 PM

Need some Vector and Tavor solutions pretty please 😊
Old 03-16-2017, 5:46 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkonquer View Post
Does anyone make a2 stock that fits on collapsible stock tube?
https://www.vltor.com/shop/stocks/arm-rifle-stock/

It is not an A2 stock but it does come in A2 or A1 length. It fits on both rifle or carbine tubes. I have one, nice stock.

Edit: Btw the first post is missing a ton of fixed stocks, here are just some off the top of my head:
A1 length
Entry length
Sully stock
Vltor Rifle Modstock aka ARM
EFX A1
Lancer Rifle
ACE Skeleton (assorted models)
RRA Operator A2
Luth Fixed MBA-2 (non adjustable ver.)
Choate E-2

Last edited by Chaos47; 03-16-2017 at 6:04 PM..
Old 03-16-2017, 6:24 PM

vltor = $110 + shipping.
Old 03-16-2017, 7:30 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
vltor = $110 + shipping.
Point being?
Vltor isn't cheap...

He asked for an A2 stock that goes on a carbine tube... That is one of the few fixed stocks I know that can do that. And the only stock that I know of that can fit either a rifle tube or carbine tube...

I got mine on clearance years ago for ~50.
It comes with 2 battery compartment inserts and 2 flat inserts for customization.
And 2 Double sided QD inserts and a QD swivel.
(A lot of Magpul stocks don't come with the QD inserts anymore so you would end up spending additional money to add the QD kits)
Old 03-30-2017, 8:43 AM
Veteran Member

Exile Machine is also giving away their design files for their Hammerhead and Backfin for MIAD grips:

http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/s....php?t=1317851

Pretty cool.
Old 04-14-2017, 9:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MudCamper View Post
Great. When you have a link let us know. Yeah I'm liking the new large thumb rest idea. Seems to offer almost as good hold and control as a normal pistol grip.
I put a MMG on my AR, and immediately took off the Bullet Button. The problem with the MMG is that I don't feel as if I have as much grip on the rifle as with the pistol grip.
Old 04-15-2017, 10:04 PM

Quote:
You can get a buffer tube spacer. http://www.spikestactical.com/lower-...cer-p-709.html Change your carbine buffer tube out for a rifle length buffer tube, then just put the spacer inside. This way you can keep running your carbine or mid-length upper with a rifle length tube since you'll keep using the same buffer & spring. This will allow you to use an A2 stock on any AR you want.

Last edited by shortround1; 04-15-2017 at 10:06 PM..
Old 04-15-2017, 10:11 PM
Señor Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by shortround1 View Post
You can get a buffer tube spacer. http://www.spikestactical.com/lower-...cer-p-709.html Change your carbine buffer tube out for a rifle length buffer tube, then just put the spacer inside. This way you can keep running your carbine or mid-length upper with a rifle length tube since you'll keep using the same buffer & spring. This will allow you to use an A2 stock on any AR you want.
Pretty sure the A2 doesn't have a notch in the bottom for the channel that indexes the collapsible stock.

Quote:
A just government will not be overthrown by force or violence because the people have no incentive to overthrow a just government. If a small minority of people attempt such an insurrection to grab power and enslave the people, the RKBA of the whole is our insurance against their success.
Old 04-15-2017, 10:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cokebottle View Post
Pretty sure the A2 doesn't have a notch in the bottom for the channel that indexes the collapsible stock.
Maybe I didn't word it clearly? He would be putting an A2 stock on a rifle length buffer tube, the 2 were made for each other.
Old 04-15-2017, 10:35 PM
Señor Member

Quote:
Quote:
Maybe I didn't word it clearly? He would be putting an A2 stock on a rifle length buffer tube, the 2 were made for each other.
Nope...

Quote:
Old 04-15-2017, 11:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cokebottle View Post
Nope...

I simply told user jkonquer that he has the option to take off his carbine length buffer tube and put a rifle length buffer tube on and use a spacer inside. Since he wants to use an A2 stock, this allows him to do so. Is it that hard to understand or are you messing with me? At any rate I said what I needed to say and wont go further into this.

Last edited by shortround1; 04-15-2017 at 11:31 PM..
Old 04-16-2017, 8:29 AM
Still in The Game
CGN Contributor

Munkeeboi makes great gripwraps. I have seen his work.
Old 04-16-2017, 8:48 AM

This is an awesome option, that has been extremely popular since announced. Can easily be removed when in a free state

https://www.armsunlimited.com/Option...ck-p/ssioz.htm

Warehouse open to LE/MIL Only
3515 W Post Rd, Ste 125
Las Vegas, NV 89118
Old 04-16-2017, 9:51 AM
Veteran Member

Quote:
No. It clearly does not.

Copied from my post just above:

It "allows for a pistol style grasp in which the web of the trigger hand (between the thumb and index finger) can be placed below the top exposed portion of the trigger" so it is a "A pistol grip that protrudes conspicuously beneath the action of the weapon."

It may be intended not to, but it allows the web of the hand to grasp it below the top of the exposed portion of the trigger.

Further, it even looks to me like in the intended position, the web of your hand would still be just barely below the top of the exposed portion of the trigger.

This thing is by definition a "pistol grip that protrudes conspicuously beneath the action of the weapon", a "feature".
You're only reading part or the requirements. It's not just whether a pistol style grasp is possible. It matters whether or not you can have that pistol style grasp and fire the gun. It might be that a slight modification needs to be made to this design in order to make sure you can't grasp it while firing, but I think it's still a good design that can be worked with. Maybe just a slightly larger edge for the thumb rest and a thicker base right under the thumb edge so you can't grasp it while firing.
Old 04-16-2017, 10:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigPimping View Post
Munkeeboi makes great gripwraps. I have seen his work.
Yup! Gotta say I like them and prefer a gripwrap and a regular magazine drop over a bullet button. I've already gotten used to shooting with a grip wrap ( thanks munkeeboi )it doesn't even bother me. Rather not have one but as a Californian have adapted and am carrying on
CGN CONTRIBUTOR
Old 04-16-2017, 10:54 AM
I need a LIFE!!

Quote:
Exile Machine is also giving away their design files for their Hammerhead and Backfin for MIAD grips:

http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/s....php?t=1317851

Pretty cool.
Super cool. 3D printer and you are GTG.
Old 04-16-2017, 11:17 AM
Señor Member

Quote:
I simply told user jkonquer that he has the option to take off his carbine length buffer tube and put a rifle length buffer tube on and use a spacer inside. Since he wants to use an A2 stock, this allows him to do so. Is it that hard to understand or are you messing with me? At any rate I said what I needed to say and wont go further into this.
He was asking if any A2 would fit on his collapsible tube.
He wasn't asking about replacing the tube.

Of course he can replace the tube and stock... that's a no-brainer.

I understand what you are saying... I don't think you understood what was being asked (which I quoted)

Quote:
Old 04-16-2017, 2:20 PM

Tagged for updates

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Old 04-16-2017, 2:45 PM

I keep seeing this advertised, as I search options. I only bring this up because I wasn't able to search any threads for comments.

Seems iffy to me,

http://www.armslist.com/posts/606481...compliant-grip

Remember - Magapalooza!
Old 04-20-2017, 6:39 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrish4ku View Post
I keep seeing this advertised, as I search options. I only bring this up because I wasn't able to search any threads for comments.

Seems iffy to me,

http://www.armslist.com/posts/606481...compliant-grip

Under California law that is clearly a pistol grip and a feature under the AW laws. No question at all.
Old 04-20-2017, 6:41 PM
Veteran Member

Old 04-20-2017, 6:59 PM
Señor Member

Quote:
Under California law that is clearly a pistol grip and a feature under the AW laws. No question at all.
That's my take on it too.
Unfortunately, there are a number of manufacturers and vendors who offer up things like this, as they have nothing to lose.

If you meet them at a gun show, make them demo the item on an actual completed build without any kind of mag lock.

I'm still not sold on the ARMaglock. He posts a video showing how to remove the thing to free a mag in the event of a double-feed and justifies it by saying that he is disassembling it for a repair procedure... despite the fact that the withdrawn DOJ regs state clearly that a receiver without a magazine release installed "does not have a fixed magazine" therefore would be an AW if featured.

Quote:
Old 04-20-2017, 7:48 PM

tagged
Old 04-20-2017, 9:12 PM

i'm using a Hammerhead grip,pinned MOE stock, EGW thread protector and a standard mag release.....it's not an AOW according to CA law, no need to register it....it's just a centerfire semi automatic rifle