Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > FIREARMS DISCUSSIONS > Centerfire Rifles - Semiautomatic or Gas Operated
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Centerfire Rifles - Semiautomatic or Gas Operated Centerfire rifles, carbines and other gas operated rifles.

Old 11-26-2012, 12:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Go Navy View Post
Sicarius........does the Keltec require a bullet button here in PelosiLand?
It has a pistol grip and a detachable magazine, so yes, absent a bullet button or grip wrap it is a CA AW.
Old 11-26-2012, 1:00 PM
Calguns Addict

In addition to the Ruger PC-9, the Marlin Camp 9 is a great featureless 9mm carbine that uses common S&W 59/5906 mags. They sell fast at about $600+ for a really nice used one.
Old 11-26-2012, 1:14 PM
Internet Warrior
CGN Contributor - Lifetime

Go featureless.

The 10 round w/ bullet button completely defeats the purpose of this type of rifle. I have a .45 ACP carbine that never sees the light of day because it is so boringly accurate within the range of .45 ACP, then I get 10 measly shots before having to release the raddlock for a new mag.
Old 11-26-2012, 2:10 PM
Veteran Member

I have a featureless Uzi, cost right about $1,000 with the fake can and grip wrap. Tons of fun but there is really no point to a 10+ pound 9mm carbine. I have a Masterpiece Arms MAC 11 clone that is a whole heck of a lot more fun! Full mag bumpfire is a great waste of ammo, and always brings a smile!
Old 11-27-2012, 8:20 AM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

All carbines with a pistol grip will need a BB. The Camp 9 is a sweet gun and doesn't require one. They do cost a premium these days but if you are looking for a featureless blaster in a pistol caliber, they are hard to beat. Doesn't have the cool factor that the EBRs have but just as effective. Last I checked, they run in the 600ish range.
Kevin
Old 11-27-2012, 8:52 AM

^^ I'm building one now with a Exile Hammer Head so i WON'T need the BB.

Btw, the guys at Exile are AWESOME!!!! Can't wait to start my build...
Old 11-27-2012, 12:14 PM

There are quite a few 9mm carbines but many are out of production like the Ruger PC9 or the Marlin Camp9, they are featureless no rifles so there is no annoying bullet button and you can use standard capacity magazines if you had them before the ban went into effect. The ones in production are from AR's to Uzi's, Mac 10's, MP5's, UMP's and many more. Say other than the Hi Point in California and the Kel Tec if I lived in a free state most are expensive rifles around $1,000 or more. I think the Hi Point, Ruger PC9, and Marlin Camp 9, and the Masterpiece mac 10 clone are under $1,000 though. Im still kicking my self over not buying a Ruger PC9GR for around $700.
Old 11-27-2012, 1:01 PM

I just ordered a Hi Point Carbine in 9mm from my local Turners. They had 17 in the books but none at the store yesterday so they're getting one from stock any day. They had a $389.00 tag on them but I negociated it down to $339.00 in a matter of seconds so they're flexable on price.

Love 'em or hate 'em everything I've read so far points to a good shooting and realible weapon, and they have a lifetime repair warranty. I happen to like the look but many don't. The 16" barrel and short frame makes it light and it's seems very comfortable in my hands. I can't wait to get it home and go shoot it. Plus, being a pistol round my local indoor range allows them so I don't have to drive a 100 miles to play with it.

John
Old 11-27-2012, 3:45 PM
I need a LIFE!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sicarius View Post
All carbines with a pistol grip will need a BB. The Camp 9 is a sweet gun and doesn't require one. They do cost a premium these days but if you are looking for a featureless blaster in a pistol caliber, they are hard to beat. Doesn't have the cool factor that the EBRs have but just as effective. Last I checked, they run in the 600ish range.
Kevin
I have the Camp 9 and plenty of 59 magazines. The Camp 9 does go for way too much $$$ on line and in CA, but having just visited OR they can still be found for about $400.00. I saw a few at the Reno Show a few weeks ago too. I like mine, it's lots of fun and accurate enough. Thing does get dirty as hell though.
Old 12-01-2012, 9:18 PM
Veteran Member

What a great forum, thank you for all your advice and suggestions. I found one....thanks again
Old 12-02-2012, 7:12 AM

I'm giving serious thought to purchasing a Thureon Defense carbine after the holidays. I exchanged emails with them, and the bad news is that they must install a bullet button to ship them to a Calif. FFL. The good news is that you can order one to fit various popular pistol magazines.....I'll probably order mine to fit Glock mags since I have a Glock 17.

Going featureless, I'm really drawn towards the Benelli MR1 Comfortech. No bullet button. Comes only in .223 (and good for 5.56 I believe), so it does not belong in this discussion about pistol caliber carbines. I handled one in a store a few weeks ago and really found it appealing. But on the other hand I don't "need" it!

I have to wonder why there aren't more carbine products out there in pistol calibers....maybe there are in other states.

You and I have a rendezvous with destiny. We'll preserve for our children this, the last best hope of man on earth, or we'll sentence them to take the last step into a thousand years of darkness. (Ronald Reagan, 1964)

Last edited by Go Navy; 12-02-2012 at 7:26 AM.. Reason: Corrected "M1" to MR1
Old 12-02-2012, 7:52 AM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Go Navy View Post

I have to wonder why there aren't more carbine products out there in pistol calibers....maybe there are in other states.
Not really. At least not mainstream. If you go into a LGS here you'll probably see the Hipoint carbine. You don't see too many of the Beretta CX4 because they are hard to come by. There's probably some others out there, but I don't look for them.

I'm guessing that those looking for a pistol cal carbine are ordering them in if they are not going with the hipoints (which seem hard to get in some LGS as well)
Old 12-02-2012, 8:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jyo View Post
In addition to the Ruger PC-9, the Marlin Camp 9 is a great featureless 9mm carbine that uses common S&W 59/5906 mags. They sell fast at about $600+ for a really nice used one.
the Ruger PC9 shares magazines with the Ruger P95 series pistols

i am a legend in my own mind...

we are told not to judge muslims by what a few do...yet, the NRA membership and firearms owners are ALL considered as radical...

"The second amendment ain't about your deer rifle..."
Old 12-02-2012, 8:59 AM
Veteran Member

+1 on the DD lowers, they are really nice. I choose not to use the glock lower because i didn't want a special bolt. Under a grand too.

Old 12-02-2012, 9:23 AM

Another option that I am thinking about is the MechTech, if you already have a glock (or 1911). Basically remove your slide and install the MechTech "upper" to covert your pistol into a carbine. Looks like its around $500 for a system with stock. Use your existing glock frame (although it requires a filed down mag release to act as a bullet button).

http://www.mechtechsys.com/glock.php

I understand that you can just buy a frame from places like LoneWolf, etc, if you want to make it a stand alone carbine.
Old 12-02-2012, 11:39 AM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by f308gt4 View Post
Another option that I am thinking about is the MechTech, if you already have a glock (or 1911). Basically remove your slide and install the MechTech "upper" to covert your pistol into a carbine. Looks like its around $500 for a system with stock. Use your existing glock frame (although it requires a filed down mag release to act as a bullet button).

http://www.mechtechsys.com/glock.php

I understand that you can just buy a frame from places like LoneWolf, etc, if you want to make it a stand alone carbine.
The only difficulties here are:

1. Unlike Federal law, CA Penal Code does not allow the frame to be reassembled as a pistol. Nice if you have a spare frame lying around and aren't worried about that, though.

2. Can't order a stripped handgun frame from Lone Wolf unless the purchaser is exempt from the "Safe Handgun List". Occasionally, a frame comes up on the sale forum and can be PPT'd, but not often and usually for a vastly inflated price.

3. By the time one finds and purchases a frame plus the Mech Tech upper, the cost outweighs the price of a Thureon Defense or JR carbine - at least it did when I was looking at them.

One could also assemble this in a featureless configuration by adding a grip wrapped frame to the standard, non-collapsible stocked Mech Tech upper. I just wouldn't pay the price for it.
Old 12-02-2012, 3:46 PM

I checked the closest dealer and the Thureon was $1099 plus tax/dros. Dang, I may just build a AR.
Old 12-02-2012, 5:45 PM

Bought mine for 750 2 weeks ago.... But got the last one and thureon raised the price $200 now.....
Old 12-03-2012, 12:15 AM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

How about a Suomi 9mm?

http://www.ebrwebstore.com/tnw-m31-s...i-9mm-carbine/
Hi-Power Practical
Baby Eagle 9mm
P99 AS
Glock 43
Old 12-03-2012, 11:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1 SIG fan View Post
Bought mine for 750 2 weeks ago.... But got the last one and thureon raised the price $200 now.....
Dang, that is quite a price increase.
Old 12-03-2012, 9:48 PM

Lone Wolf Dist. makes a Glock mag fed AR platform carbine. IIRC it's about $1000.
Old 12-04-2012, 1:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redchevyman View Post
TNW just released a new carbine that takes Glock mags. you can change calibers too. It comes in 40cal 45cal and 9mm. It also breaks down for hiking.
I called the distributor today and they do not offer a California version and doubt they will. Too bad considering the decent price of $575 for a 9mm.
Old 12-04-2012, 1:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Intimid8tor View Post
Not really. At least not mainstream. If you go into a LGS here you'll probably see the Hipoint carbine. You don't see too many of the Beretta CX4 because they are hard to come by. There's probably some others out there, but I don't look for them.

I'm guessing that those looking for a pistol cal carbine are ordering them in if they are not going with the hipoints (which seem hard to get in some LGS as well)
None of the LGS in northern CA seem to have or be able to source a 995.
Old 12-04-2012, 1:58 PM
CGN Contributor

I recently bought
http://www.riflegear.com/p-1647-doub...-receiver.aspx