Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > FIREARMS DISCUSSIONS > California handguns > Handguns Gallery
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Handguns Gallery Post your pictures of your favorite sidearm here.

Old 03-25-2018, 4:50 PM

Default Are CZs ammo-finicky?

Howdy,

I've been working with my new CZ Compact. I'm right around 400 rounds fired using three different brands of ammunition; PCM Bronze and Blazer Brass 115gr FMJ, and American Eagle 115gr TSJ.

Last weekend I experienced both a hang fire, and a misfire, with the Blazer Brass. Switching over to the AE TSJ I experienced two misfeeds, and sparks escaping from the ejection port.

CZ has authorized a return for Warranty Inspection and has provided for free return shipping with an estimated 44-6 week turnaround. (edit: 4-6 week turnaround)

Prior to the Blazer and American Eagle, I had been shooting the PCM Bronze (with no problems) so I decided to try another 50 rounds. No problems, at all.

I'm a new shooter and am paying close attention to my grip technique so I'm pretty sure it isn't a case of limp wrist affecting the action.

So... I'm wondering now if I should go ahead and return the pistol for inspection. And are CZs in general, picky about what is fed to them?

Thanks for any insights.

Last edited by Lmo; 03-26-2018 at 9:11 AM..
Old 03-25-2018, 5:08 PM

I have 3 - SP-01, old 75 and a RAMI. All 9mm. They eat like fat chicks....not picky at all.

Maybe take it apart, clean thoroughly and re-assemble with light oil. My SP-01 likes to run with a touch of grease on the slide grooves/channels.
Old 03-25-2018, 5:12 PM

I own a 75BD and so far have fed it Sig 135g - 124g NATO - 147g HST - various bulk junk by Winchester/Federal and MaxxTech to the tune of over 400 rds and no problems.

ETA: It seems to like the MaxxTech for some reason I can get good shots.

Last edited by M60A1Rise; 03-25-2018 at 5:14 PM..
Old 03-25-2018, 5:16 PM

My SP01, P07, and P01 have never been picky with ammo and eat about anything I feed them. Even reloads from freedommmuitions
Old 03-25-2018, 5:42 PM

My P-01 doesn't like magtech for some reason. During my CCW class, I had quite a few hang ups. I can't remember if it was failure to eject, or if it was double feeding. When I switched to AE the problem went away. If you do send it in, I'd like to know what they do to it.
Old 03-25-2018, 6:04 PM
Veteran Member

My 75B has fed and shot any ammo I put in it. One of my few guns with a high round count because of this. Also like to teach first time shooters with it. Don't have to show them how to clear malfunctions.
Old 03-25-2018, 6:12 PM
👀They’re Watching 👀
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by paddyb View Post
I have 3 - SP-01, old 75 and a RAMI. All 9mm. They eat like fat chicks....not picky at all.

I have a SP-01 and a P-01, same results as this

Tac-Tags.com
Old 03-26-2018, 7:33 AM

Thanks for the feedback gentlemen.

I contacted CZ on the phone this morning and gave them the information about the extra 50 rounds of PCM. They'd like to take a look at it now that I've brought it to their attention, which, from their liability point of view, makes sense; from a peace of mind point of view (mine) it does too.

They also mentioned that they test a lot of different ammunition on a constant basis and don't recognize any particular brand as being more, or less, troublesome.

I'm struggling with the short(er) sight radius on the Compact and hate the idea of not shooting for a month or more, but so be it.

I just installed a set of LOK Palm Swell Bogie grips and it feels like the gun was custom molded for my hand.

Last edited by Lmo; 03-26-2018 at 9:12 AM..
Old 04-20-2018, 2:50 PM

My CZ 75 jams frequently with Winchester White Ammo but has no problems with anything else that I have tried.
Old 04-23-2018, 8:35 PM

No problems with my Sp-01.
Old 04-30-2018, 6:04 AM
Veteran Member

Whenever I pickup a new CZ-75, I perform the following, in addition to my action job, to ensure 100% reliability before I go out to the range.

Install an 11 lb recoil spring
Polish the rails.
Polish the portion of the hammer that contacts the slide stop
Round off and polish the portion of the slide stop that contacts the hammer.
Polish the ejector and ensure proper tension.
Polish the center rail underneath the slide and ensure that the forward edge is broken at a 45 degree angle
Trim and reshape the ejector on the sear cage for consistent ejection pattern
Ream the barrel to take the longest cartridge that I make

The end result is silky smooth sewing machine like operation with zero problems, barring any ammo or mag related issues.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sleighter View Post
Getting legal advice from a gun salesman, is like getting medical advice from a janitor at a hospital. Both make about the same per hour and both prove that being around something all day doesn't make you an expert.

Lifetime NRA member.

Last edited by himurax13; 04-30-2018 at 6:06 AM..
Old 04-30-2018, 10:20 AM
Calguns Addict

Zero issues for me.
Old 05-03-2018, 9:21 AM

The CZs I've owned all had tight chambers. Had failures to return to battery. Found out that the ammo i was using (FM) were not dimensionally consistent. Any imperfection or slight bulges in cases would not chamber fully. Took a box of the Freedom ammo and did a bullet drop test. Sure enough, about 5 out of 50 rounds did drop freely into the chamber. These imperfect rounds did function in other guns, however.

Starting point would be to clean the chamber, then do a bullet drop test for the ammo you want to use.
Old 05-03-2018, 9:33 AM

Have never run FM through my CZs, but all ammo brands function just fine. I have however had issues with FM (new) with my WC and HK chambered in .45.
Both pistols were lights out dependable with all other ammo. I still have a few cases of Freedom Munitions .45 left and trying to go through it. My Kimber TLE loves the stuff.

"Leave the gun, take the cannoli"
Old 05-03-2018, 9:40 AM

CZ 75B never any issues with anything.
Old 05-03-2018, 9:48 AM

My CZ's were a bit picky with reload due to the OAL of the round being a bit too long.
Baby Eagle 9mm
P99 1st Gen
Springfield Armory Range Officer 9mm
Old 05-03-2018, 4:30 PM

My CZ97 has issues with different types of ammo. Most recently was aluminum case Blazer. About 50% of the casings would eject straight backwards and hit Every person who shot it. Switching to American Eagle during the last trip stopped the poor ejection.

I've sent the 97 into CZ before and even they said only use S&B ammo. That's right, CZ's official position is that CZs can be picky with ammo!
Old 06-25-2018, 4:44 PM

BUMP

Quote:
If you do send it in, I'd like to know what they do to it.
My bad, I forgot to follow-up.

CZ shop note simply stated, "Adjusted feed ramp."
Old 08-15-2018, 9:25 AM

Quote:
I've been working with my new CZ Compact. I'm right around 400 rounds fired using three different brands of ammunition; PCM Bronze and Blazer Brass 115gr FMJ, and American Eagle 115gr TSJ.

Last weekend I experienced both a hang fire, and a misfire, with the Blazer Brass. Switching over to the AE TSJ I experienced two misfeeds, and sparks escaping from the ejection port.
400 rounds through the gun with 3 different brands of ammo.

With the Blazer you had a hang fire and a misfire. A hang fire means that the firing pin struck the primer and the round did not go off immediately as it should but a second or so later. A misfire means that the firing pin struck the primer but the round did not go off. That could be ammo related or a weak firing pin spring or short firing pin.

You don't mention how many rounds of the Blazer you fired. You said 398 rounds of assorted ammo went off as intended this means that the odds are in favor of it being the ammo and not the gun. Possibly a couple of hard primers in a box of ammo. Try shooting more of the Blazer and see what happens.

With the Eagle you had two misfeeds (you don't say of what type) and sparks escaping from the ejection port.

Sparks are not unusual and are related to the ammo and not the gun. You don't say how many times you saw this. If the sparks were only with the AE, as you said, it is most definitely ammo related. The pistol cannot fire unless it is in battery so the possibility of a gun defect is minimal given that you only saw the sparks with one brand of ammo. How many times you saw the sparks with that ammo you have not said. If one or 50 times it would make little difference as you only saw them with one brand of ammo. Tells me it's ammo related and not due to the gun.

Quote:
I'm a new shooter and am paying close attention to my grip technique so I'm pretty sure it isn't a case of limp wrist affecting the action.
Shooting 400 rounds you had two misfires. This may be ammo related and most likely is. But more shooting would rule that in or out.

Sparks flew from the port (how many times you don't say) with one brand of ammo but not the others. This is ammo related.

In 400 rounds you had two misfeeds. That's very good for a new gun in the hands of a new shooter.

Sounds like you are doing well. Keep shooting and trying out different brands, record the results.

For a new shooter with a new gun what you tell us is normal and not, at this point, indicative of a gun problem.

tipoc
Old 08-15-2018, 9:31 AM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

SP-01 is the most reliable 9mm I have owned.
Old 08-15-2018, 3:46 PM

When I first responded to this thread I didn't see that it began in March of this year and that the OP came back almost two months ago. My bad.

tipoc