Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > FIREARMS DISCUSSIONS > Optics, Mounts, Rails and Sights
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Optics, Mounts, Rails and Sights If it aims your firearm, post about it here.

Old 10-14-2018, 10:12 AM
Veteran Member

Default Ageing eyes, red dots and lasers on pistols

What are you guys with ageing eyes using on your HD and CC pistols?
Old 10-15-2018, 4:54 AM

Glasses and Practice
Old 10-15-2018, 7:47 AM
Vendor/Retailer

Red Dots.

Best thing ever.

-Matt S.

OpticsPlanet
http://www.opticsplanet.com
Toll-Free (888) 504-7864
Send us a private message if we can be of help!
Old 10-21-2018, 12:36 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackyHouston View Post
Glasses and Practice
tried much, eyes too bad, when using the bifocal to see the front sight the target is too blurry and often get double vision at the target distance but sight very clear.
Old 10-21-2018, 4:32 PM

For range or hunting, I am happy with FastFire 3 because I have plenty of time to turn them on.
For HD or CC I would only consider RMR type 2 because it will stay on for 16 hours or Leupold Delta Pro because it is motion activated, provided you can mount them on your gun and find holster to carry them. I would not choose dual illuminated RMR because by all reports, dot gets washed out under some conditions.
I would not choose any RDS that would require me to turn them on for CC or HD use.
Which one will actually work for you and what size of the dot to use, will depend on your eyes and how comfortable RDS is for you, just look at them at the store and make your decision there.
Old 10-21-2018, 7:50 PM
Calguns Addict

Try the new generation tritium night sights like the Trijicon HD, Night Fision, or Ameriglo Spartans. The super bright paint on the front sight is an incredible benefit to aging eyes during daylight, and the tritium is excellent at night. I prefer the front lamp to be green and the rear lamps to be yellow. I also prefer the front paint to be orange over yellow. YMMV.

If your eyes have progressed beyond being able to use iron sights effectively, micro red dots are your friend. But they take practice to be useful. If your point-in is typically right on the money, you won't need much practice. But if you typically need to hunt for your front sight, more practice will be required. There's a bunch of good ones out there from the Bushnell Fastfire III, Vortex Viper or Razor, Nikon Spur, to the Trijicon RMR in various flavors. There's a whole bunch of other good choices too. Your budget will likely dictate your choice.

“I would remind you that extremism in the defense of liberty is no vice! And let me remind you also that moderation in the pursuit of justice is no virtue!” - Senator Barry Goldwater

Last edited by k1dude; 10-21-2018 at 7:54 PM..
Old 10-21-2018, 8:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hunt View Post
What are you guys with ageing eyes using on your HD and CC pistols?
RMR, light, laser
Old 10-22-2018, 6:58 AM

I have used lasers and the only time I found that I was a faster and more accurate shooter was one night a sounder of pigs and I happened to be on the same trail and 20 min after sunset. Still some visible light and I heard them so I had my H&K .40 out and ready. It was fast and furious and a tad unnerving too. I recent;y bought a Nikon SPUR I just haven't decided what I am going to mount it on. I was thining my Desert Eagle .44 but the jury is still out. At almost 60 I like having any help I can get to shoot better.