Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > POLITICS, LITIGATION AND ACTIVISM > How CA Laws Apply to/Affect Me
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 10-18-2017, 7:50 AM

So i gather that the BB will have to stay if registering an underfolder AK?
Calif retards, a bb makes it illegal but you cant remove the thing that makes it illegal...
Old 10-18-2017, 8:39 AM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nopal View Post
Is that currently being challenged in court?
Not yet to my knowledge, we just found out about it a week ago or so. Eventually, hopefully.
Quote:
Originally Posted by PMACA_MFG View Post
Not checkers, not chess, its Jenga.
"The California matrix of gun control laws is among the harshest in the nation and are filled with criminal law traps for people of common intelligence who desire to obey the law." - U.S. District Judge Roger T. Benitez

Old 10-18-2017, 7:47 PM
Veteran Member

I built 6 AR pistols a few years ago and decided to part with three of the receivers. I really didn't need six pistols. they were made from 80% receivers and I added correc identifying info as required by ATF. I then transferred those receivers about a year or so later (after losing interest) through FFLs, legally, as pistols.

I wonder what CADOJ is going to want for manufacturer that originally has my name and identifying info on it. Will they have to apply for a unique serial number too?

Moved this question here. I think more appropriate than other thread.
Old 10-18-2017, 8:00 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by wireless View Post
I built 6 AR pistols a few years ago and decided to part with three of the receivers. I really didn't need six pistols. they were made from 80% receivers and I added correc identifying info as required by ATF. I then transferred those receivers about a year or so later (after losing interest) through FFLs, legally, as pistols.

I wonder what CADOJ is going to want for manufacturer that originally has my name and identifying info on it. Will they have to apply for a unique serial number too?

Moved this question here. I think more appropriate than other thread.
I think their policy is that even if a firearm passed through a DROS or otherwise was entered into a centralized registry (post 2014) they aren't going to recognize that serial. Call it a hunch, and we just don't know. But if they have a firearm that has been registered and they are denying them then I think there is also no chance a previously dros'd firearm, although also technically in a centralized registry, is not kosher for some insane reason. Probably just to make our lives hell honestly.

But for the legal eagles: how can you have an actual law like AB857 exempting home builds that have been volreged from needing to apply for a serial and then have SB880 regulations (not the law) calling for them to be marked in their fashion with their number? Seems to be a contradiction, hopefully it is a legal problem for them.
Quote:
"The California matrix of gun control laws is among the harshest in the nation and are filled with criminal law traps for people of common intelligence who desire to obey the law." - U.S. District Judge Roger T. Benitez

Old 10-19-2017, 6:26 AM

Hey guys, I read through the latest PDF guide linked a couple pages back and didn't see an answer to this.

I have a couple Aero Precision X15 rifles that are marked CAL MULTI for caliber. Is there an option for multi caliber on the web form for registration? If not do I just pick the caliber they are currently configured to fire?

Thanks

Quote:
Originally Posted by bagman View Post
Don't sweat the petty things. Pet the sweaty things.
Old 10-19-2017, 6:30 AM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fox Mulder View Post
Hey guys, I read through the latest PDF guide linked a couple pages back and didn't see an answer to this.

I have a couple Aero Precision X15 rifles that are marked CAL MULTI for caliber. Is there an option for multi caliber on the web form for registration? If not do I just pick the caliber they are currently configured to fire?

Thanks
There is a field called "interchangeable barrels". I plan on putting it on all of my rifles since all rifles have interchangeable barrels. I might not for some AK and oddballs but definitely for all AR's.

Unless your barrel is welded to the receiver, I see no reason that interchangeable applies to almost any firearm. Even if you never plan on changing calibers, you want to change the barrel at some point, right?
Quote:

Old 10-19-2017, 6:49 AM

Please confirm my understanding regarding registering an AR pistol built in 2014 from an 80%:

1. AR pistol was built up from 80% lower, originally as a single shot using 0 round sled, in 2014, when the single shot exemption made it roster exempt, then subsequently converted to semi auto later in 2014.
2. One must get a CA DOJ assigned serial number by mailing in BOF 1008.
3. Once received that serial must be engraved to their specs
4. After that one can register it as an AW using that serial, etc.

Am I missing anything?

Last edited by thorium; 10-19-2017 at 7:11 AM..
Old 10-19-2017, 6:52 AM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by thorium View Post
Please confirm my understanding regarding registering an AR pistol built in 2014 from an 80%:

1. AR pistol was built up from 80% lower, originally as a single shot using 0 round sled, in 2014, when the side sht exemption made it roster exempt, then subsequently converted to semi auto later in 2014.
2. One must get a CA DOJ assigned serial number by mailing in BOF 1008.
3. Once received that serial must be engraved to their specs
4. After that one can register it as an AW using that serial, etc.

Am I missing anything?
That is my understanding. Even when we mark it to their specs with their serials though, they still could reject based on (???????), we don't have any successful stories so far. But options are very very limited for AR pistol home builds that are semi-auto.
Quote:

Old 10-19-2017, 7:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Discogodfather View Post
There is a field called "interchangeable barrels". I plan on putting it on all of my rifles since all rifles have interchangeable barrels. I might not for some AK and oddballs but definitely for all AR's.

Unless your barrel is welded to the receiver, I see no reason that interchangeable applies to almost any firearm. Even if you never plan on changing calibers, you want to change the barrel at some point, right?
I sure do want to be able to change barrels! Eventually I want to upgrade from my PSA uppers to BCM or something.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bagman View Post
Don't sweat the petty things. Pet the sweaty things.
Old 10-19-2017, 2:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Discogodfather View Post
That is my understanding. Even when we mark it to their specs with their serials though, they still could reject based on (???????), we don't have any successful stories so far. But options are very very limited for AR pistol home builds that are semi-auto.
My understanding was put your own serial on it before july 2018 and no registration required. Unless you are going to keep it as is and not use the armaglock like i did on my pistols.
Old 10-19-2017, 4:42 PM

Anyone get a registered confirmation letter for an AR Pistol with an arm brace or cheek rest device?
Thanks.
Old 10-20-2017, 10:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dump1567 View Post
Anyone get a registered confirmation letter for an AR Pistol with an arm brace or cheek rest device?
Thanks.
Why would you take the photos in that configuration? I'd think it would be wise to take any photos of the gun in minimum legal configuration, for example, with the pistol buffer tube and nothing more back there.

That said, in 2014 and earlier, one could buy bullet buttoned AR pistols commercially (through gun dealers) using the single shot exemption. I have one of those, which means it went through state DROS, and the state has it in their database (AFS) that I legally bought and possess an AR Pistol. How could they deny me registering that as an AW? I don't think they would/could given that it was legally owned before 2017, their database says so, and meets the new BBAW definitions so can be registered.

For 80% receiver-based AR pistols, that ball is up in the air to Disco's point because while they should allow those to be registered under the same rationale as above (assuming you've followed their regulations and gotten back and engraved a DOJ issued serial number on it), they still might try to find some other B.S. reason not to allow their registration.

Last edited by thorium; 10-20-2017 at 10:41 AM..
Old 10-20-2017, 2:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thorium View Post
Why would you take the photos in that configuration? I'd think it would be wise to take any photos of the gun in minimum legal configuration, for example, with the pistol buffer tube and nothing more back there.

Because if someone got a registration verification letter for an AR pistol in that config., it would legitimize the use of these products in CA.
Old 10-20-2017, 4:07 PM
Veteran Member

Would my application be denied if I put

VALMET or GALIL under "make"?
Old 10-22-2017, 10:14 AM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by wireless View Post
Would my application be denied if I put

VALMET or GALIL under "make"?

Are this the correct makes? Should be fine.

I was a little concerned with my saiga and wasr as I wasn't sure if they wanted the importer or the actual maker. For the saiga I put izmash and for the wasr, I put Cugir.

I did put a note on each saying "the importer is Russian American arms" or century arms.

They were both accepted.