Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > OUTDOORS, HUNTING AND SURVIVAL > Hunting and Fishing
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Hunting and Fishing Rifle, Shotgun, Handgun, Archery, Blackpowder Saltwater and Fresh Water

Old 02-22-2019, 9:00 PM

Default 2019 squirrel roundup up planning thread

Anyone else from San Diego or So Cal want to drive up to suprise valley in March for the annual squirrel round up?

Looking for safe reasonable people to share the trip with who dont mind putting up with a liberal minded, over educated, California native like me. I also fish and spear a lot, or at least I used to. And this would be second land hunting trip. Stay at home dad a few years before 50. Dont have to worry about drinking, smoking or drugs from me, just snoring.
Old 02-22-2019, 9:35 PM

I was ok up to the snoring part. I can enjoy the company of liberals (especially classical Liberals), but not ones that snore! :-D

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 02-23-2019, 7:28 AM
I need a LIFE!!

I stopped at overeducated liberal who doesn’t drink.
Old 02-23-2019, 7:29 AM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by taperxz View Post
I stopped at overeducated liberal who doesn’t drink.
That was a deal killer for me too! LOL
Old 02-23-2019, 2:40 PM

I have a law degree but I haven't practiced in 15 years or so and I take meds that make alcohol not fun.
Seriously, you'd rather travel with a drunk, illiterate knee jerk facist? No wonder gun control keeps passing. If y'all keep up the conservative bunker mentality this country is toast. The worst of both sides will end up controlling everything
Old 02-23-2019, 2:45 PM

Default Hunting as #1 bucket list item

OK, I'm really interested. Tell me more. Please PM.
Old 02-23-2019, 5:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tmckinney View Post
Seriously, you'd rather travel with a drunk, illiterate knee jerk facist?
I'd offer to meet you up there since it's only four hours for me but I suspect a) its still going to be pretty damp by then, b) lodging is going to be hard to find. If that changes, I know how to track you down.

As for the rest, one of my rules is to never, ever talk about religion or politics with new, new friends. And more recently, I try to avoid the topic with old, old friends as well. Neither topic is worth alienating people over.
Old 02-23-2019, 6:08 PM

2019 registration is full

https://www.surprisevalleychamber.com/events.htm
Old 02-23-2019, 6:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by XVIga_Rob View Post
Dang, I would have been up for it.
Greater love hath no man than this, that a man lay down his life for his friends. John 15:13
Old 02-24-2019, 6:49 AM
I need a LIFE!!

Quote:
I have a law degree but I haven't practiced in 15 years or so and I take meds that make alcohol not fun.
Seriously, you'd rather travel with a drunk, illiterate knee jerk facist? No wonder gun control keeps passing. If y'all keep up the conservative bunker mentality this country is toast. The worst of both sides will end up controlling everything
Spoken like a true over educated liberal who doesn’t drink.

Oh, and “y’all” is used by people who live in the south and not so much by California hillbillies. Quit trying so hard to fit in, be yourself or perhaps for an over educated liberal who doesn’t drink, maybe you should change it up a bit?
Old 02-24-2019, 7:02 AM
I need a LIFE!!

Quote:
Couple things to address here.

Law degree, doesn’t mean crap among hunting partners. Keep it in your pocket. Your degree couldn’t kill a deer at two feet.

Understood about meds and booze

Who said a person who has a couple beers is a drunk? Illiterate knee jerk fascist? Is this coming from the person who probably doesn’t practice law because he couldn’t make any money from it?

I mean really, who wants to hunt with a boring, “thinks they’re educated liberal who can’t practice law because they are on drugs and can’t drink and are the most boring FI on the planet”.

You should probably drive yourself, after an hour of travel I could easily see you hitch hiking your way back home but only by another over educated liberal who doesn’t drink.
Old 02-24-2019, 7:04 AM

I'm very interested I'm pretty new to hunting and would love a chance to go with someone that could teach me a thing or to. I don't smoke or do drugs and only drink occasionally and I come from a family of snorers.

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk
Old 02-24-2019, 7:05 AM
Veteran Member

I'm like not with someone else's political or religious views. We and be friends or just an acquaintance, but leave your religious and political views and opinions at home.
Old 02-24-2019, 9:53 AM
CGN Contributor

That looks like fun. Too bad it is full.

OP if you go on another squirrel hunts. Let me know. We just won't discuss politics.

Here I am.

"I'm for Hoffa until they pat my face with a shovel and steal my cufflinks." Frank Sheerin
Old 02-24-2019, 11:15 AM
Veteran Member

If you snore you should ask you Family Dr. if you should have a sleep study test, you might have sleep apnea, a major cause of nighttime strokes and heart attacks.

Mike76
Old 02-24-2019, 11:31 AM

Ok, so you’re an over educated liberal who is vocal about it... that’s all good.

But when you drop a French fry between the seat and center console what do you do? Retrieve it, because no French fry left behind? Leave it there to crust up and be eaten on the return trip? Leave it there forever - the owner of the car will appreciate it later?

Do you brush your teeth in the morning? I’m looking for a hunting partner who’s breath stinks the truck up.

Do you eat with your mouth open and slurp your food like we’re in Shanghai? I really enjoy that. It lets me know you like the food.

These are the qualities I am interested in.
Old 02-24-2019, 12:12 PM

You know, before the squirrel roundup was posted on the web it was a great Time . Guys bringing up their rvs, staying at the fairgrounds and the 2 inns in town.it was a lot of fun and the people in town were stoked to see us. Guys would bring out all kinds of guns, their big game guns to test their long range prowess, the 22s to burn 900 bullets in a day. They would even build trailers to get you a higher vantage point over the fields. I even remember an old school bus some guy from Susanvile drove up and he had a shooting deck on top.

I went for the last time 5 years ago and by then it was a zoo . Plenty of morons reminding you what was legal and illegal. And trespassing to come do it never the less. The dinner turned worse too. Then we heard about guys shooting houses and barns and I was done .... I can squirrel hunt in a hundred different places that don't take a half day drive to get too... oh well
Old 02-24-2019, 1:10 PM

I have never heard of this event. Too bad it is full, I would interested. I do not do drugs, other than those prescribed, which is why I only drink occasionally, sticking to fine wine and scotches. Yeah, I snore like a bear in hibernation. I have an undergrad in science. I would be up for this next year.
Old 02-24-2019, 2:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vino68 View Post
I have an undergrad in science.
Wut?
Old 02-24-2019, 2:22 PM

Default An Assignment!

Quote:
Originally Posted by USMCmatt View Post
Dang, I would have been up for it.

Hey Matt,

I think you're a young guy --- so you have lots of energy. Would you be willing to get info so we could set up a second hunt for us stragglers?
Old 02-24-2019, 6:21 PM

Sounds like hunting and fishing is turning into an incognito grinder
Old 02-27-2019, 5:19 PM

You guys do realize you don't have to go up for this specific shoot in order to hunt ground squirrels in the area? Get on the phone with the Chamber and start getting leads. Hell, pack up your vehicles and drive there when the weather is looking good and start asking around.

The first time I went up there, I spent 5-6 nights on my computer tracking down places to shoot. Then, I drove 11 hours, one way, from Los Angeles to hunt there and scout out some areas so we could hunt. It was not hard to find some spots and we shot everything from ground squirrels, to jackrabbits and even rockchuck. Piles of them!

I don't understand the unwillingness to just go. Some of the best hunts/spots I had in California were due to spending hours in my truck scouting out areas I researched on the internet. It is not hard.

Let me repeat this:

YOU CAN DO A LOT OF RESEARCH ON THE INTERNET THAT WILL HELP YOU FIND PLACES TO SHOOT. Just go do it!

Let me edit to add:

I'm in Idaho now and am starting over. I have already found places to hunt varmints and received permission on properties where I have taken the initiative to drive up, knock on the door and ask. Have I been told "No"? Of course, but I keep getting out there and keep trying.

Last edited by Eric Mayer; 02-27-2019 at 5:21 PM..
Old 02-27-2019, 5:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric Mayer View Post
You guys do realize you don't have to go up for this specific shoot in order to hunt ground squirrels in the area? Get on the phone with the Chamber and start getting leads. Hell, pack up your vehicles and drive there when the weather is looking good and start asking around.

The first time I went up there, I spent 5-6 nights on my computer tracking down places to shoot. Then, I drove 11 hours, one way, from Los Angeles to hunt there and scout out some areas so we could hunt. It was not hard to find some spots and we shot everything from ground squirrels, to jackrabbits and even rockchuck. Piles of them!

I don't understand the unwillingness to just go. Some of the best hunts/spots I had in California were due to spending hours in my truck scouting out areas I researched on the internet. It is not hard.

Let me repeat this:

YOU CAN DO A LOT OF RESEARCH ON THE INTERNET THAT WILL HELP YOU FIND PLACES TO SHOOT. Just go do it!

Let me edit to add:

I'm in Idaho now and am starting over. I have already found places to hunt varmints and received permission on properties where I have taken the initiative to drive up, knock on the door and ask. Have I been told "No"? Of course, but I keep getting out there and keep trying.
Very true.

A common trend among new hunters is they are more focused on shooting the animal that they don’t realize most of the fun is finding your own way and learning the land.

I’ve been there. Ultimately, it’s just like you said. You have to do some research and then jump in the truck and explore.
Old 02-27-2019, 6:15 PM

That **** fills up fast every year. It's beautiful country up there and with all the snow there should be a snotload of those lil'bastards to shoot.

If you drive up 299 stop at my buddy Travis's place in McArthur for dinner. When it comes to BJJ and food Travis don't **** around!
https://www.facebook.com/CrumbsRestaurant/

Take the timewarp drive into Cedarville too.

Oh and there's a hot spring on the road into Nevada.
http://www.svhotsprings.com/main.html

Last edited by RedBluff; 02-27-2019 at 6:23 PM..
Old 02-27-2019, 6:32 PM

The event filled quickly. Looks like they dropped the # of registrations from 100 to 70 this year. I’ve hunted in the area a number of times over the last 15 yrs., but have never participated in the official event. There is more to the hunt, then just pulling the trigger.
Old 02-28-2019, 6:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillyGoatCrawler View Post
Do you brush your teeth in the morning? I’m looking for a hunting partner who’s breath stinks the truck up.

Do you eat with your mouth open and slurp your food like we’re in Shanghai? I really enjoy that. It lets me know you like the food.

These are the qualities I am interested in.
There are too many in this forum that do nothing. Don't vote, don't belong to the NRA, don't donate time and or money, etc etc so the anti-gun bills will just keep coming and coming. You are right. Us doing nothing at all won't help.
Old 02-28-2019, 7:43 AM

California encapsulated in a forum thread. Here you have it, folks.
Old 02-28-2019, 7:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by yoteassasin View Post
I went for the last time 5 years ago and by then it was a zoo . Plenty of morons reminding you what was legal and illegal. And trespassing to come do it never the less. The dinner turned worse too. Then we heard about guys shooting houses and barns and I was done .... I can squirrel hunt in a hundred different places that don't take a half day drive to get too... oh well
I was going to write a long rant. Instead I'll just say this: shooting squirrels isn't the only alternative ranchers have for keeping the little pests under control. When the cost of property damage caused by strangers exceeds the cost of the alternatives, there won't be any more shooting allowed, and ranchers near Cedarville seem to be moving in that direction right now. So when you're up there shooting, don't do anything on their property you wouldn't want someone doing on yours.

Not that I claim to be a leading authority but if anyone is interested in my (currently unwritten) list of dos and donts, send me a PM.