Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > INTERESTS AND ACTIVITIES > Ammo and Reloading
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Ammo and Reloading Factory Ammunition, Reloading, Components, Load Data and more.

Old 06-16-2010, 6:39 PM

Default What kind of ammo do my guns take?

These are the first guns I've owned. My grandpa gave them to me but not personally, through my dad (who knows nothing about guns). Obviously I know little. Anyways the guns are: Llama .380 Model III-A 9mm short, and a Hi-Standard Fileld King .22LR. Both are handguns.

I'm guessing the Field King takes .22LR bullets. What's the difference between .22LR ammunition and .22 ammo?

And the Llama I'm guessing takes a 9mm short bullet. Let me know if I'm right on these. Also I've heard some other terms for 9mm bullets (9mm Largo, 9mm Corto). Can my gun use any 9mm?

How about bullet quality? Does name brand bullets really make that much of a difference? Is there any cheap bullets known for being good quality "bargain bullets"

Any help and advice or opinion is great!

Last edited by newHGowner; 06-16-2010 at 6:52 PM.. Reason: more description / questions
Old 06-16-2010, 6:46 PM

There are a few types of .22 rimfire ammo. If it says 22 LR on the gun, then only feed it 22 Long Rifle. Probably not the wisest idea to feed it anything that'll fit in the chamber. So, don't use stuff like 22WMR, 22 short, etc. The case length, powder charge, etc will be different.
Lotta guys like running these b/c they're pretty reliable in 22 LR automatics. A lot of 22 rimfires tend to be a bit ammo sensitive and CCI mini mags are pretty good.
http://www.outdoormarksman.com/produ...ducts_id=68154
As that this is the reloading section of the forum, unforunately ya can't reload rimfire stuff.

As for the .380, only feed it 380 auto ammo. Don't just use any ammo with a .380/9mm bullet diameter....
Pick from here:
http://www.outdoormarksman.com/index.php?cPath=65_1_15

Last edited by gottarollwithit; 06-16-2010 at 6:55 PM..
Old 06-16-2010, 6:47 PM

usually .22 ammo refers to .22LR unless its specify 22 short or 22 magnum.

I'm guessing the llama takes .380 ammo
Old 06-16-2010, 6:55 PM

Okay so .22LR bullets for the Field King.

For the Llama, the paperwork says ".380 Llama Model III-A 9mm short". On the gun however it only says 9mm short. Is 9mm short the same as .380 ammo?
Old 06-16-2010, 6:59 PM
Veteran Member
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by newHGowner View Post
Okay so .22LR bullets for the Field King.

For the Llama, the paperwork says ".380 Llama Model III-A 9mm short". On the gun however it only says 9mm short. Is 9mm short the same as .380 ammo?
I googled it for you. Looks like 9mm short is another name for .380 ACP. Good luck finding .380, I think it is one of the hardest handgun calibers to find.

"Other names for .380 ACP include .380 Auto, .380 Short, 9mm Browning, 9mm Corto, 9mm Kurz or 9mm Short, and 9x17mm. It is not to be confused with .38 ACP."
Old 06-16-2010, 7:02 PM
Agent 86
CGN Contributor

Llama: .380 = .380ACP = 9 x17 = 9mm Kurtz (short).

Regular "9mm" (most commonly used and referred to) = 9mm = 9mm Luger = 9x19 = 9mm Parabellum = 9x19 NATO.

.22LR = .22 Long Rifle...this is by far the most commonly used .22 cartridge. When people say ".22" or ".22 ammo" 99% of the time they mean this one.

BTW: bullets are what comes out of the barrel.
Completely loaded ammunition has an outer brass case, primer in the base of the case, gunpowder inside and a bullet in the mouth of the case.
This is usually referred to as a round or a cartridge.

For your Llama, try a box of .380 FMJ (Full Metal Jacket) first to make sure it works.
Then you can try the cheaper lead bullet loads for target shooting.
Hollowpoint bulleted ammo may or may not feed properly in the Llama, you will have to buy some and test it to find out.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Citadelgrad87 View Post
I don't really care, I just like to argue.
Old 06-16-2010, 7:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cgseanp1 View Post
"Other names for .380 ACP include .380 Auto, .380 Short, 9mm Browning, 9mm Corto, 9mm Kurz or 9mm Short, and 9x17mm. It is not to be confused with .38 ACP."
So any of these calibers will work? Is it really hard to find ammo? I have a couple small boxes of ammo for the Llama, but want more!!!
Old 06-16-2010, 7:04 PM

Basically .380 auto is a run of the mill 9mm Luger cartridge with a shorter case. I think they usually run a lighter projectile too.
Old 06-16-2010, 7:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ojisan View Post
Llama: .380 = .380ACP = 9 x17 = 9mm Kurtz (short).

Regular "9mm" (most commonly used and referred to) = 9mm = 9mm Luger = 9x19 = 9mm Parabellum = 9x19 NATO.

.22LR = .22 Long Rifle...this is by far the most commonly used .22 cartridge. When people say ".22" or ".22 ammo" 99% of the time they mean this one.

BTW: bullets are what comes out of the barrel.
Completely loaded ammunition has an outer brass case, primer in the base of the case, gunpowder inside and a bullet in the mouth of the case.
This is usually referred to as a round or a cartridge.

For your Llama, try a box of .380 FMJ (Full Metal Jacket) first to make sure it works.
Then you can try the cheaper lead bullet loads for target shooting.
Hollowpoint bulleted ammo may or may not feed properly in the Llama, you will have to buy some and test it to find out.
Thanks for the short lesson, I'm new to this as I said. I guess I was just confused about the LR abbreviation because the ammo is for a handgun not a rifle. But as long as it is what the Field King takes thats cool.

Thanks
Old 06-16-2010, 7:18 PM
Agent 86
CGN Contributor

Just to clarify: .22LR is used in both handguns and rifles, so yes, this is correct for the Field King.

There has been a huge amount of ammunition purchased in the last year, much more than normal.
This has lead to shortages in supply of some ammo types, in particular, .380.
Supplies are increasing and things should be back to normal soon.
There are still some places that are sold out of both .22LR and .380.
Keep shopping around, you will find some of both.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Citadelgrad87 View Post
I don't really care, I just like to argue.
Old 06-16-2010, 7:58 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
These are the first guns I've owned. My grandpa gave them to me but not personally, through my dad (who knows nothing about guns). Obviously I know little. Anyways the guns are: Llama .380 Model III-A 9mm short, and a Hi-Standard Fileld King .22LR. Both are handguns.

I'm guessing the Field King takes .22LR bullets. What's the difference between .22LR ammunition and .22 ammo?

And the Llama I'm guessing takes a 9mm short bullet. Let me know if I'm right on these. Also I've heard some other terms for 9mm bullets (9mm Largo, 9mm Corto). Can my gun use any 9mm?

How about bullet quality? Does name brand bullets really make that much of a difference? Is there any cheap bullets known for being good quality "bargain bullets"

OK! From your own words "Obviously I know little" a little can be very dangerous. Please go and get some training or instructions on handgun safety and operations before you buy any ammo.

XL-650 to feed the: .45ACP's Les Baer Concept V, Ruger SR 1911, Ruger Nightwatchman,custom built Colt M1911, Springfield .45ACP Loaded.. 9MM SA Range Officer,Ruger P-85, Springfield Stainless 9MM loaded, SA 9MM 5.25" XDM, Springfield 9mm Stainless Range Officer, STI double stack .45ACP.
IDPA A41750 Safety Officer
NRA Certified RSO
"Stay out of the deep end of the pool; correct the problem with your credit card, not your dremel!"
Old 06-16-2010, 8:08 PM
Blue Blaze Irregular
CGN Contributor - Lifetime

Quote:
So any of these calibers will work? Is it really hard to find ammo? I have a couple small boxes of ammo for the Llama, but want more!!!
.380 ACP
.380 Auto,
9mm Kurz
9mm Short
9x17mm

are all different names for the same caliber. The most common way it is referred to now in the U.S. is just .380 (pronounced "three eighty"). If you go into a gun shop and ask for a box of "three eighty" ammo they will know what to give you. The box will most likely be labeled ".380 Auto", but might have some of the other names on the box too.

"Knowledge is power... For REAL!" - Jack Austin

Last edited by Mssr. Eleganté; 06-18-2010 at 7:53 PM..
Old 06-16-2010, 8:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chief-7700 View Post
OK! From your own words "Obviously I know little" a little can be very dangerous. Please go and get some training or instructions on handgun safety and operations before you buy any ammo.
I've gone to a FFL recommended by the DOJ to take my Handgun Safety Certificate test, i scored 100% kind of funny for how little I know about guns. But I know that I need to learn more. Still haven't gotten the guns yet, and when I do I plan on going to a shooting range and either taking a class or telling them I've never shot a gun before and ask for instruction. I'm not an idiot. It's sort of sad that this state has so many restrictions on guns (Type of handguns legal for sale, mag size, etc.), but someone who knows they need to know more can flawlessly pass the Handgun Safety test without even touching a handgun.

I also have been to a couple different FFL's looking for a safe and have asked questions and seen another customer do a safe handling demonstration poorly and still get his gun. He did complete all requirements correctly, but it took him a second try and it was definitely done sloppily. Anyways, my point is I'm an intelligent person who happens to have never fired a weapon before. Trust me there's plenty worse people to be getting guns in Cali.
Old 06-16-2010, 8:25 PM

Thanks Mssr. Eleganté!
Old 06-17-2010, 6:38 AM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor - Lifetime
CGN Contributor - Lifetime

Quote:
I've gone to a FFL recommended by the DOJ to take my Handgun Safety Certificate test, i scored 100% kind of funny for how little I know about guns. But I know that I need to learn more. Still haven't gotten the guns yet, and when I do I plan on going to a shooting range and either taking a class or telling them I've never shot a gun before and ask for instruction. I'm not an idiot. It's sort of sad that this state has so many restrictions on guns (Type of handguns legal for sale, mag size, etc.), but someone who knows they need to know more can flawlessly pass the Handgun Safety test without even touching a handgun.

I also have been to a couple different FFL's looking for a safe and have asked questions and seen another customer do a safe handling demonstration poorly and still get his gun. He did complete all requirements correctly, but it took him a second try and it was definitely done sloppily. Anyways, my point is I'm an intelligent person who happens to have never fired a weapon before. Trust me there's plenty worse people to be getting guns in Cali.
You're right, there are far worse people getting guns in CA, don't be one of them. Find a facility near you and take a basic handgun class. Learn the ins and outs of each of your firearms and be better than the bottom of the barrel who can walk in to a gun store and pass the firearm safety test.

WTB the following - in San Diego
--Steyr M357A1 357SIG
--Five Seven IOM (round trigger guard)

Never forget - השואה... לעולם לא עוד.
Old 06-17-2010, 7:27 AM

Quote:

The "Handgun Safety Certificate" is to satisfy a legal requirement so the vendor can sell you the weapon, not intended to make you competent. As others have noted, get some real instruction, with live fire. No one was born with this knowledge.....

NRA Life Member
CRPA Life Member
Old 06-17-2010, 8:07 AM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by popeye4 View Post
The "Handgun Safety Certificate" is to satisfy a legal requirement so the vendor can sell you the weapon, not intended to make you competent. As others have noted, get some real instruction, with live fire. No one was born with this knowledge.....
Agreed with this. The people saying it aren't making fun of you. We all need a little help, and since it sounds like your grandpa isn't around anymore, and from your post it sounds like you don't have anyone to help guide you into the gun world, try and find a class and learn all you can. Learn how to take apart your gun, and the safety rules first. Then you can learn about stance grip etc.
Old 06-17-2010, 8:40 AM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Quote:

First and foremost, find someone who is capable of teaching you how to properly handle these (and all) firearms. Some ranges have classes or, you can even find a private instructor to meet you somewhere. I am not a certified instructor but, I'd be willing to go over some things with you if you are close enough to me.

As far as .22 ammo goes, there are probably 1000s of different types of it produced over the last 100 years. You will want to use a .22lr round in your pistol. There is only one way to find out which one will work best in your gun and, that is to try a bunch of different types. However, with your current shooting abilities, you probably won't be able to tell the difference. So, I suggest trying the Federal bulk packed stuff from Walmart. I would stay away from bulk packed Remington and any Armscor because, it's far from the best stuff around. If you use it, you'll probably think that your gun has problems when, it's really just the ammo.

If you live close enough to me, I can help you reload some .380 for the cost of components. If you are near Simi Valley, I saw some .380 on the shelf at Fort Courage Armory yesterday.
Utah CCW Instructor

Offering low cost multi state CCW, private basic shooting and reloading classes for calgunners.

CCW SAFE MEMBERSHIPS HERE

KM6WLV
Old 06-17-2010, 10:48 AM
I need a LIFE!!

Since you dont know if its the corect bullets for your gun.. you can send it to me and I can despose of it for you...for free!

jk. Many guys here gave you good advices!
Old 06-17-2010, 12:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CSACANNONEER View Post
First and foremost, find someone who is capable of teaching you how to properly handle these (and all) firearms. Some ranges have classes or, you can even find a private instructor to meet you somewhere. I am not a certified instructor but, I'd be willing to go over some things with you if you are close enough to me.

As far as .22 ammo goes, there are probably 1000s of different types of it produced over the last 100 years. You will want to use a .22lr round in your pistol. There is only one way to find out which one will work best in your gun and, that is to try a bunch of different types. However, with your current shooting abilities, you probably won't be able to tell the difference. So, I suggest trying the Federal bulk packed stuff from Walmart. I would stay away from bulk packed Remington and any Armscor because, it's far from the best stuff around. If you use it, you'll probably think that your gun has problems when, it's really just the ammo.

If you live close enough to me, I can help you reload some .380 for the cost of components. If you are near Simi Valley, I saw some .380 on the shelf at Fort Courage Armory yesterday.
Thanks to everyone that has responded. I was upset when Chief-7700 said that and I responded hastily, we've talked in PM and it was just a misunderstanding on my part. Once I re-read his message I realized he was just trying to make sure I'm being safe. Although I've never fired a gun, I believe being unsafe and careless with one is ignorant and very dangerous. That's why my initial reaction was as it was. I thought, "does this guy think that I'm stupid and wouldn't do this?"

Of course, I have been planning on taking a class at the minimum, possibly a few classes, and talking to as many people as I can about this. That's why I joined calguns.net to learn as much as I can about handguns in general. I still don't have possession of the guns, which is why I haven't fired one. But I think I'm going to head into the range today and rent a gun, get some instruction, and practice before I pick up my guns in a week.

CSACANNONEER

I do live somewhat close to Simi Valley. I'm in North Hollywood. Thanks for the advice on the .22. good to know I should get some practice before I really decide what ammo I like and works best with my gun. As for the .380, I should have about 100 rounds I'm getting with the gun. Re-Loading them sounds good since they are so expensive. How many casings should I have for a worthwhile reloading session?
Old 06-17-2010, 12:57 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

I'll tell you what, I'll provide you with 500 pieces of .380 brass when the time comes. You'll just have to buy a lb of powder, primers and bullets. It should come out to a little more than $100 and you will have pimers and powder left over!

If you want a safe handling demo and some trigger time (airsoft first if you prefer), we can get together tomorrow or this weekend.
Utah CCW Instructor

Offering low cost multi state CCW, private basic shooting and reloading classes for calgunners.

CCW SAFE MEMBERSHIPS HERE

KM6WLV