Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > GENERAL DISCUSSION > Technology and Internet
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Technology and Internet Emerging and current tech related issues. Internet, DRM, IP, and other technology related discussions.

Old 10-16-2013, 5:04 AM
Calguns Addict

Default Changing Service-Bundles and such, how-to get new customer pricing...

Since some people don't know, I just wanted to drop an FYI: if you use a browser that has cookies for your provider like say Verizon FiOS then you will not be able to see New customer pricing easily, and calling retentions (disconnect service) will get you nowhere near new customer pricing. Use a different browser that you have never logged into their site with (and don't import history from another browser), or delete all history (might delete saved passwords), but for a savings of $30+/month it is worth it. Cancel the old, sign up for new without a bundle if you don't need one service and when asked about new vs. current service for the address: "existing customer moving out". Don't play their game...

(Word-dump:
So in dumping my old alarm system for one that is cell-monitored, I can finally drop my land-line phone service. I called to disconnect service [retentions] because I couldn't get pricing on their site, and they couldn't give me less than $79/month for Internet. The guy gave me a bunch of grief stating that he hopes the pricing of new customers will stay the same price... I told him it was a 2 year contract, just like my old one [duh!] and I'd have to change my phone number, and e-mail address, I told him that is okay as I only get telemarketers calling and use their account for spam [use that only when buying something]. They kept pushing and letting I him know I had already made plans to never use their service-supplied addy & phone-num for anything important, he couldn't talk me into keeping it. He even tried to tell me that he hopes the cell-monitoring of my new service never had cell-towers go down, I told him that the fiber could be cut much more easily than the chances of a cell-tower going down. He probably felt pretty stupid with me completely countering all the "talk people into staying with the service" script they have been taught to spit. $30/month savings for something that I had unplugged due to telemarketers anyway.)

Edit: I think I have a service activation fee of like ~$65, but that is paid for in ~2 months of $30 (well $50/mo because I dropped the phone line) savings.

Last edited by the86d; 10-16-2013 at 5:22 AM..