Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > POLITICS, LITIGATION AND ACTIVISM > California 2nd Amend. Political Discussion & Activism > CA Election Forum
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

CA Election Forum Discussion, Planning and Activism for California local elections

Old 05-16-2018, 7:08 PM

Default Orange County Sheriff and 2A?

I'm doing some research on two candidates for OC Sheriff, David Harrington and Don Barnes. Since I live in OC and believe CCW is a Right I want to vote for the one who will fight for my rights.

Both say they believe in issuing CCW's. But Harrington has a sworn deposition from Barnes on his website where he states he's in favor of "good cause" because it limits the number of weapons one can carry, which protects officers and public. Harrington on the other hand says he is shall issue (period).

Wondering if anyone has info or thoughts that may help me decide who to vote for.

Take a look at the deposition I spoke of here:

http://harringtonforsheriff.com/2ndamendment.php

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
Old 05-16-2018, 8:05 PM
I need a LIFE!!

You need to post this in the correct forum. This is not a court issue in litigation
Old 05-16-2018, 8:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by taperxz View Post
You need to post this in the correct forum. This is not a court issue in litigation
Apologies. Did it from my phone and saw it said politics.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
Old 05-31-2018, 12:53 PM
To clear, just rack once✔
CGN Contributor

So, Harrington, based on his "Shall Issue" stance?

.45 ACP. It's like a 9mm, except for grown-ups.
Old 06-01-2018, 3:15 PM

My personal take:

Barnes:

Was a proponent of good cause and a restrictive approach to concealed carry until after 2012 (I'm guessing around the whole Peruta thing) when he changed his mind. He has gone to great lengths to explain this in debates, radio, etc. and ensure potential voters of his change of heart and the reasoning for it where he speaks very favorably of CCW holders. Whether this pro gun approach extends to other facets of the gun debate is unclear.

He says as the Undersheriff he is a driving force behind today's OCSD's CCW policy, which has been received very positively and largely serves as a model for the rest of the state. As such it is hard to argue with the fact that he's one of the peeps in OCSD who has gotten us to where we are today. Given his role he has had obvious managerial experience. He is a registered Republican, though apparently he registered just prior to announcing his candidacy. He is endorsed by current Sheriff Hutchens.

He has criticized California's sanctuary city laws and defended Hutchen's challenge to it on several opportunities including FOX News:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uaEE_m8tUZg

He is also opposed to prop 47 and 57.

Harrington:

Is the Mayor of Aliso Viejo and a 29 year vet of OCSD where he served as a 'street cop'.While he does not seem to have law enforcement managerial experience he has political experience in his work as mayor for what it's worth. Aliso Viejo is one of the cities that voted to join the federal suit against CA Sanctuary City Law. He seems to be very pro gun and calls himself a constitutional conservative. He explicitely states "shall issue" as his vision for OCSD CCW policy and has called out several things he sees as shortcomings in the OCSD currently (transparency, fiscal issues). On his website he takes a swipe at Barnes by referencing his sworn deposition from 2012 back when he was iffy on CCWs.

Harrington, too has criticized California's sanctuary city laws on several occasions including FOX News:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qukY9Pzdh3g&t=95s

He, too, is opposed to prop 47 and 57.

Personally I think neither of them is a bad choice. Harrington seems to have the more uncompromising, straightforward statement on 2A and a more consitent conservative trackrecord where Barnes flip-flopped (if you want to be mean) or experienced commendable personal growth (if you want to be kind) as exhibited with his/Hutchens CCW policy change. Fact is: Barnes is doing for CCW largely what we hoped OCSD would do, which is issue licenses very very close to 'shall issue' and that is hard to argue with. Both candidates seem to be relatively close on other issues. The difference then becomes: do you want "fresh blood" in OCSD leadership or do you want more of the same? And: do you trust Harrington's vow on 2A (which seems consistent) more than Barnes vow on 2A (which wasn't as consistent in the past but who is currently delivering)?

For the sake of completeness, the third candidate, Duke Nguyen states: "I am not against CCWs or a citizen’s right to bear arms. However, I do believe that we need to have a strong and transparent review process for all whom apply. It does not appear that this has been the case." I stopped reading at "I am not against".

Last edited by DonFerrando; 06-01-2018 at 3:28 PM..
Old 06-01-2018, 3:25 PM
Cantankerous old coot
CGN Contributor - Lifetime

Barnes, through his actions as Undersheriff has demonstrated his support for CCW rights in California's tough anti-gun environment. Many of us in the CCW community in Orange County are supporting him.