Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > FIREARMS DISCUSSIONS > Rimfire Firearms
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Rimfire Firearms .22, .17 and other Rimfire Handguns and Rifles

Old 01-17-2013, 11:42 AM

Default 10/22, sticky charging handle

While on the range, my bolt/charging handle became stuck, first in a closed position, then all the way back. It took a lot of force to move and had a lot of resistance.

After disassembly I figured it was the charging handle/spring. Gunked up. So I cleaned it up, but it still sticks. Once it is warmed up it is fine, but let it sit a few minutes and it is hard to get the handle to move, and it feels like the handle is scraping along the rod where the spring is on (sorry if I don't know the proper terms).

Will this be something that will work itself out, or should I get some emery paper and smooth the rod out? It is making it difficult to reassemble.
Old 01-17-2013, 11:59 AM
Veteran Member

The spring & charging handle is slid onto the rod, then the rods crimped. My factory crimp job tweaked the rod a bit, kind of an oval shaped Crimp. Common issue with 10/22's. Sometimes you can push the spring down & rotate the handle a bit, on the rod, finding a better position. The rod & spring are key parts of the action, see if you can get it to work better, if not, most of us buy a better rod & handle. KIDD & volquartsen are 2 choices. Also make sure rod's not bent & re-assemble it in the action, making sure it was correct!!!
Old 01-17-2013, 3:58 PM

+1^^

Make sure the guide rod is not bent (it would take a fair bend to bind it though) and be sure the pointed end of the guide rod is in the divot in the rear of the receiver.

Robert
Old 01-17-2013, 4:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SB1964 View Post
The spring & charging handle is slid onto the rod, then the rods crimped. My factory crimp job tweaked the rod a bit, kind of an oval shaped Crimp. Common issue with 10/22's. Sometimes you can push the spring down & rotate the handle a bit, on the rod, finding a better position. The rod & spring are key parts of the action, see if you can get it to work better, if not, most of us buy a better rod & handle. KIDD & volquartsen are 2 choices. Also make sure rod's not bent & re-assemble it in the action, making sure it was correct!!!
Okay. The rod is straight and positioned right, but the top part is ovalish. When you pull the handle all the way down and release quickly, it seems to get stuck on that oval. As far as the scraping feel as it does move along the rod, that seemed to work itself out with a thorough scouring and working it back and forth many times.

I will see if I cannot position it better, as you say. Thanks for the help. If not, I will replace the rod when I do the auto bolt release modification. I want a bigger charging handle anyways.
Old 01-17-2013, 4:18 PM

Try polishing the rod.
Old 01-17-2013, 5:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoshuaS View Post
Okay. The rod is straight and positioned right, but the top part is ovalish. When you pull the handle all the way down and release quickly, it seems to get stuck on that oval. As far as the scraping feel as it does move along the rod, that seemed to work itself out with a thorough scouring and working it back and forth many times.

I will see if I cannot position it better, as you say. Thanks for the help. If not, I will replace the rod when I do the auto bolt release modification. I want a bigger charging handle anyways.
If you replace it, get the KIDD rod & (3) springs kit...I think its only around $13.

Robert
Old 01-17-2013, 5:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tanakasan View Post
If you replace it, get the KIDD rod & (3) springs kit...I think its only around $13.

Robert
Agree. My original rod actually snapped one day. Replaced it with the KIDD, and it is smooth as butter.
Old 01-17-2013, 6:24 PM

Quote:
Okay. The rod is straight and positioned right, but the top part is ovalish. When you pull the handle all the way down and release quickly, it seems to get stuck on that oval.
I just cleaned my 10/22 last night for the first time in years. The handle got jammed good at the end of the guide rod and I played hell getting it apart. That Kidd rod kit looks like my next buy.
Old 01-21-2013, 4:18 PM

Well I cleaned it, polished the rod, and tried moving the spring.

Shot 650 rounds without any fail to feed or fire. About 4 fail to extracts, toward the end (expected...bulk ammo, dirty by then). The charging handle would still stick a little, especially after letting the gun sit during a cease fire...it apparently wedges itself more over time. But it wasn't nearly as hard to pull it back, and it didn't get stuck or feel like it scrapes in other positions.

Fully acceptable for now...now I just have to sand out the overspray in the receiver and dremel the bolt release. I think my first purchase, now, would actually be a different bolt buffer.
Old 01-21-2013, 6:06 PM

JoshuaS,

Try cleaning your bore and chamber. Especially the chamber using an old 22 brush.
Old 01-21-2013, 6:44 PM

Quote:
Well I cleaned it, polished the rod, and tried moving the spring.

Shot 650 rounds without any fail to feed or fire. About 4 fail to extracts, toward the end (expected...bulk ammo, dirty by then). The charging handle would still stick a little, especially after letting the gun sit during a cease fire...it apparently wedges itself more over time. But it wasn't nearly as hard to pull it back, and it didn't get stuck or feel like it scrapes in other positions.

Fully acceptable for now...now I just have to sand out the overspray in the receiver and dremel the bolt release. I think my first purchase, now, would actually be a different bolt buffer.
Ah, painted receiver! At least it shot better this time out!

Clean that paint out, get a KIDD rod set, VQ extractor (best $10~$12 you can spend) and a soft buffer. The DIY auto bolt release is handy!

Robert