Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > FIREARMS DISCUSSIONS > Shotgun discussions
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Shotgun discussions Trap, Hunting, Defense and more. A place for enthusiasts to discuss the shotgun.

Old 12-07-2017, 10:58 AM

Default CZ Redhead Premier

I'm interested in adding a new 20 gauge to my rotation for upland game hunting. Anyone have any experience with the CZ Redhead Premier? I'm looking at the 28 inch model. Seems to be at a great price point, almost half the cost of my Browning's. Just wondering if I'd be getting half the quality.
Old 12-07-2017, 11:33 AM
Veteran Member

I did a lot of research on them and could not find a single "positive" review per say. They were all selling points really. No real field reviews.

A lot of people look down on them since they are made by Huglu and since they also manufacture for Pointer, Howa and or Mossberg with no real great success they are not really sought after. I found a couple on Armslist and the like for a decent price but guys here convinced me to go Browning for my sporting clay trap gun.

Good luck in your search. Post a real review if you decide to get one.
"We bury you now still while you breathe Dead as the void that you've left here in me Deeper and deeper spent memories Cremating all that would bear your disease An end is what you wanted, the end is what you'll receive Onward into battle forever we soldier unflinchingly undying and free"

Last edited by Im Broken; 12-07-2017 at 11:37 AM..
Old 12-07-2017, 12:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Im Broken View Post
I did a lot of research on them and could not find a single "positive" review per say. They were all selling points really. No real field reviews.
This has been my issue as well. Glad I'm not alone on this.
Old 12-07-2017, 1:33 PM
Veteran Member

Well, after doing lots of research I'm giving consideration to buying a Webley and Scott 20 gauge o/u model 912k sporter. There were mixed reviews on the earlier pre 2014 models, but I've only heard many positive things about those made in the past few years. I have a friend who owns one and he's used it exclusively for about 3 years now without any problems. He owns a Browning Citori, but all I see him shooting is the W&S. My main issue is "fit". The Beretta 686 doesn't fit me well and the Browning Citori Lightning, fits better, but that damn W&S fits perfect - just like my Charles Daly 800 20 gauge o/u. The W&S is about $1100 new. Fit and finish are very good. Yes, it is now made in Turkey, but so are many shotguns now a days. Plus, I own a lot of shotguns, and I just can't see myself spending $2k+ on another one. I have a friend who shoots the CZ Drake o/u at our bird club (Hastings Island). Admittingly, it's a plain Jane looking shotgun, but I've never heard him complain about it and he shoots it all the time.

Last edited by Bull Elk; 12-07-2017 at 1:36 PM..
Old 12-07-2017, 3:51 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:

A lot of people look down on them since they are made by Huglu and since they also manufacture for Pointer, Howa and or Mossberg with no real great success they are not really sought after. I found a couple on Armslist and the like for a decent price but guys here convinced me to go Browning for my sporting clay trap gun.

Good luck in your search. Post a real review if you decide to get one.
Pretty much this, I came in looking for advice on shotguns for trap and upland game a little while ago. The consensus is the brand stamped Turkish guns suck.
Old 12-07-2017, 6:40 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChuckDizzle View Post
Pretty much this, I came in looking for advice on shotguns for trap and upland game a little while ago. The consensus is the brand stamped Turkish guns suck.
Well not all. Most.
"We bury you now still while you breathe Dead as the void that you've left here in me Deeper and deeper spent memories Cremating all that would bear your disease An end is what you wanted, the end is what you'll receive Onward into battle forever we soldier unflinchingly undying and free"
Old 12-07-2017, 7:18 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChuckDizzle View Post
Quote:
Well not all. Most.
I've heard good things about the Dickinson SxS bird guns. Early on sold as Smith& Wesson. Seems Cabela's is the main US distributor now.

https://www.dickinsonarms.com/hunting.html

I'm sure Turkey/Huglu can make as nice of gun and as quality gun as they desire. But a $500 O/U is a $500 O/U. A dolled up $500 shotgun is a dolled up $500 shotgun.

#Blackolivesmatter

Last edited by JagerDog; 12-07-2017 at 9:31 PM..
Old 12-07-2017, 10:43 PM
Veteran Member

I can only give you my own experience with Turkish shotguns. I've got a ATI Calvary in 20 gauge that I use as a gunner for AKC hunt tests. I've got more than 1500 shells through it and it goes bang every time. No, it's not a Beretta or Browning, but it didn't cost $2k either. It was $490. Beautiful walnut wood too! Don't forget Weatherby has their shotguns made in Turkey. Damn good guns!
Old 12-08-2017, 8:29 AM
Veteran Member

That's the thing. I held ATI, Mossberg and CZs and they all had extremely nice stocks and finishes. It's just too bad there isn't a place where you can shoot them all before purchase.
Old 12-08-2017, 9:23 AM

What you won't necessarily find out by trying them out, is the durability.

The reason the Brownings and Berettas are more popular, is because they are worth the money, especially for high volume shooters. They are well made and durable (that's why they cost more).

When you buy guns that are designed for a lower price point, the savings has to come from somewhere and it's not just lower labor costs. Think Yugo or 1980s Hyundais. Sure, you save money, but they just don't last.

I think you are more likely to get a lemon (right off the bat) when you buy one of these inexpensive O/Us. I have seen a few of them.

Yes, you can get one that works just fine, but I'd like to hear of some that gets past 10,000 rounds (which is still a very low number for an O/U) without any parts failing.
Old 12-08-2017, 10:28 AM
Veteran Member

I use the ATI Calvary 20 gauge specifically for the AKC hunt tests. This is my second one I've owned. Over a weekend of gunning chukars or quail, I generally will shoot 40-50 times. I prefer the ATI for this purpose because it's light (about 5.5lbs), has no discernable recoil and honestly.....I don't care if it gets wet, dropped, scratched, dinged, etc. My job as a hunt test gunner is to "drop the bird for the retrieve." AKC requires that you use a break open shotgun so that it is clear that it is on safety. But back to the ATI. In NorCal where I hunt and gun on most hunt tests, 50% or more of the shotguns used are the 20 gauge ATI Calvary shotguns. I am unaware of anyone having any problems with these guns, but as BOBGBA said, these guns are not getting shot 10,000. One last thing......my dog trainer, as part of the training, shoots 25-50 shots a day. He uses the ATI Calvary .410 (he's a good shot). He finally replaced that ATI with another ATI .410 after 4-5 years of shooting. I won't do the math, but that's a hell of a lot of rounds fired (he generally trains 6 days a week most of the year). Not advocating for ATI, but it works for some people who cannot afford a $2K shotgun.
Old 12-08-2017, 10:35 AM

I think the takeaway is that some guns are more suitable for high volume clays shooting while some are just fine for hunting. I have a few shotguns including a CZ Bobwhite 20 ga. that is a great little quail gun, but not really intended for serious range use.

There is an old saying that target shooters wear out their guns from the inside out and hunters wear out theirs from the outside in.
Old 12-08-2017, 11:21 AM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScottB View Post
I think the takeaway is that some guns are more suitable for high volume clays shooting while some are just fine for hunting. I have a few shotguns including a CZ Bobwhite 20 ga. that is a great little quail gun, but not really intended for serious range use.

There is an old saying that target shooters wear out their guns from the inside out and hunters wear out theirs from the outside in.
I like that saying!
Old 12-08-2017, 11:36 AM
Veteran Member

With that said. Cam anyone point me in the direction of where I can go shoot some birdies. Lol
Old 12-08-2017, 12:23 PM

I get it, most everyone is under budget constraints. But I do think you can find a used Browning in the $800 - $1200 range. If that's still more than someone can afford, I would recommend getting a new or used semi-auto in the $500 -$700 range, before recommending a $500 O/U. I just think the odds of getting a good dependable gun is better this way.