Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > OUTDOORS, HUNTING AND SURVIVAL > Hunting and Fishing
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Hunting and Fishing Rifle, Shotgun, Handgun, Archery, Blackpowder Saltwater and Fresh Water

Old 12-05-2017, 2:27 PM

Default sierra catfish and mountain white fish

Anyone ever fish the sierras for brown bullhead catfish or mountain whitefish? I know these aren't the typical species people target up there and many don't even know about them. If you have any experience or stories, post a reply.
Old 12-05-2017, 2:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AAR View Post
Anyone ever fish the sierras for brown bullhead catfish or mountain whitefish? I know these aren't the typical species people target up there and many don't even know about them. If you have any experience or stories, post a reply.
Yeah,
mom lived in Truckee as a girl when grandpa was stationed there for the highway patrol.

Some small lake back behind Truckee, they used to catch catfish using licorice as bait.

i was born under a wandrin star
Old 12-05-2017, 5:19 PM

Not sure if Mountain Whitefish & Sacramento River Squawfish, aka Sacramento Pike, or hard mouths are the same, but we have caught a few while trolling for trout in Prosser Reservoir. We have seen tons of fish on the sounder, trolled right through then, without a strike, maybe they are Squawfish? They look like this:

https://www.google.com/search?q=sacr...WWI3Xdd5Rum_M:
Old 12-06-2017, 9:47 AM

Used to catch quite a few whitefish on the King's River and the San Joaquin River, both just outside of Fresno. They'd sip on my flies as I was fishing for trout.
Old 12-06-2017, 1:37 PM

Many Whitefish in the Truckee in Verdi.
Old 12-06-2017, 5:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stonefly-2 View Post
Yeah,
mom lived in Truckee as a girl when grandpa was stationed there for the highway patrol.

Some small lake back behind Truckee, they used to catch catfish using licorice as bait.
Not sure which direction you mean but west of Truckee and above Donner lake off of the old highway 40 near and just below the top of the summit (Donner Spitz/Sugar Bowl) is a small lake loaded with catfish. Fished there a couple of times for other species but the cats always took the bait.
Old 12-06-2017, 6:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nickel plate View Post
Not sure which direction you mean but west of Truckee and above Donner lake off of the old highway 40 near and just below the top of the summit (Donner Spitz/Sugar Bowl) is a small lake loaded with catfish. Fished there a couple of times for other species but the cats always took the bait.

Thanks......i was always kind of afraid it was just a fish story.

Old 12-06-2017, 6:18 PM
Veteran Member

I have caught lots of squawfish while trolling worms for trout in my kayak. I won't tell you where, some of my spots I want to keep as private as possible. But they are out there.

I wouldn't eat them, if that is your goal. They are chock full of bones.

Sent from my SM-G920P using Tapatalk
Old 12-06-2017, 6:30 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bainter1212 View Post
I wouldn't eat them, if that is your goal. They are chock full of bones.
Apparently you're supposed to smoke them.

Dunno how you're supposed to keep them lit though...
Old 12-06-2017, 7:20 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by NapalmCheese View Post
Apparently you're supposed to smoke them.

Dunno how you're supposed to keep them lit though...
Don't roll them too tight.
Old 12-06-2017, 8:01 PM

Caught some big squaws out of the American on 110 Jerkbaits. They make great fertilizer for the wild blackberries.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rootuser View Post
There are too many in this forum that do nothing. Don't vote, don't belong to the NRA, don't donate time and or money, etc etc so the anti-gun bills will just keep coming and coming. You are right. Us doing nothing at all won't help.
Old 12-07-2017, 7:57 AM

I have read that there are smallmouth bass in Prosser & Stampede, which seems unusual to me, anyway. We tried jigging for them along the Prosser & Stampede dams, with no success.
Old 12-07-2017, 10:51 AM
FREE STATE LIVING!!!!!!!!
CGN Contributor

Location: Idaho. Land of the FREE!!! Home of the BRAVE! Constitutional Carry Is Awesome! Still going......

Come on up to Idaho and there are a whole bunch of mountain Whitefish in the lakes and small ponds up here

The loudest sound in the world is a “click” when you need a “bang.”
Old 12-07-2017, 7:04 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

I don't know anything about mountain whitefish, but it looks like in California they are only in the eastern Sierras.

The catfish, coming out of cold, clean water ought be very good eating.

Last edited by Huntsprig; 12-07-2017 at 8:44 PM..
Old 12-07-2017, 8:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dabnis View Post
Not sure if Mountain Whitefish & Sacramento River Squawfish, aka Sacramento Pike, or hard mouths are the same
Two unrelated species.
Old 12-08-2017, 7:56 AM

Back in the early 70's, DFG tried planting mountain whitefish in a number of western slope Sierra streams. I know this because I stumbled upon some in a stream where they had not been on previous trips and never were again. All the fish were identical in size. It was in Bear Creek below Bear Lake out of Crabtree Camp Trailhead in Stanislaus National Forrest. I asked a DFG biologist about it a couple years later and they confirmed they had planted the stream. As I recall, they were excellent table fare. But, pretty much everything that isn't freeze-dried tastes good when you are backpacking.

Last edited by Irishfisher; 12-08-2017 at 3:04 PM..
Old 12-08-2017, 8:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScottB View Post
Two unrelated species.
Three, and there are several other non trout species swimming around in the sierras.

Old 12-08-2017, 12:53 PM

While trolling for Kokanees in Stampede Reservoir some time back we caught what the Fish & Game rep thought was a Tui Chub, about 10 to 12" long , & maybe about a pound or so, looked more brown than in the picture. we have fished Stampede for over 30 years, never caught another one.

http://calfish.ucdavis.edu/location/?uid=82&ds=698
Old 12-09-2017, 7:01 PM
Veteran Member

So that’s what those fishes are called. I thought they were just sqawfish or sac pike minnows. I’ve caught em on the moke up in the Sierra’s drifting salmon eggs and kastmasters. The last one pulled in was easily 20” and 3-4lbs. The first time I’ve seen whitefish was up at 5000ft in a nice size creek. I was huntn and observed two otters pulled out a fish and started fighting over it. I put the optics on the fish thinking it was a trout. Nope. I thought wth kinda fish is that.

10mm. Because .45ACP just doesn't cut it anymore. <Trailerparktrash>
Old 12-10-2017, 7:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by m98 View Post
So that’s what those fishes are called. I thought they were just sqawfish or sac pike minnows. I’ve caught em on the moke up in the Sierra’s drifting salmon eggs and kastmasters. The last one pulled in was easily 20” and 3-4lbs. The first time I’ve seen whitefish was up at 5000ft in a nice size creek. I was huntn and observed two otters pulled out a fish and started fighting over it. I put the optics on the fish thinking it was a trout. Nope. I thought wth kinda fish is that.
The few Squawfish we caught were fairly bright silver, sort of. The Tui Chub, if that was what it was , was kind of pale brown & looked similar to a salt water rock cod, sort of. The Fish & Game rep said they are in Stampede, no surprise.

The Northern Pike in Lake Davis was a disaster. Have read likely caused by someone using them for live bait taken from waters in Nevada. Haven't heard any more about them in Davis, maybe they got them all?