Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > FIREARMS DISCUSSIONS > Centerfire Rifles - Manually Operated
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Centerfire Rifles - Manually Operated Lever action, bolt action or other non gas operated centerfire rifles.

Old 07-29-2020, 9:54 PM

3006 is a bit over kill for California and take more powder to reload then the 308.
Old 07-30-2020, 5:22 AM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Verdha603 View Post
Exactly.

For better or worse, their's a grain of truth in that the gun community is the "old fat white guys" club, and with it comes a mindset of "What worked for me when I was a young adult in the 50's/60's/70's is what should work for all them young 'un's today! These kids need to man up and shoot a real man's gun in .30-06 instead of a wimpy .223 or 6.5 rifle, or carry a .45 ACP or .357 Magnum instead of that Enemic European 9mm! Why should they want some spray and pray semi-automatic instead of a bolt-action rifle, a pump shotgun or revolver that will drop anything I aim at in one shot?"

It's exactly this type of mindset that's detrimental to the gun owning community and drives potential new gun owners away with such condescending drivel that naturally causes younger and newer shooters to get riled up at such proclamations and causes tension between the "traditional sportsmen" and "modern sportsmen".

The .30-06 cultists are no different, they clutch their pearls and claim folks that don't agree with them are young and inexperienced, resorting to ad hominems targeting the opponents manhood and how they see their view of firearms world as wrong, when they seem incapable of accepting that the .30-06 isn't the only answer to a given application. If you're looking for a modern equivalent, they're similar to the long-range precision shooters that put 6.5 Creedmoor on a pedestal, or "tactical" shooters that see the .223 semi-automatic rifle as the only viable self-defense long arm, and they all get riled up the moment they get told what they've been preaching to the crowd is not entirely truth.

If we listened to such old fanatics, we'd be stuck in the proverbial stone age, where women must carry .357 snub-noses as purse guns, men only used 12 gauge shotguns and .30-06 rifles to hunt and practice with, semi-automatics larger than a Ruger 10/22 would be shunned as "unsporting", and any handgun caliber smaller or less powerful than a .45 ACP or .357 Magnum would be laughed off as "a weak girl's round only suitable for executions".
Well time tells all so if we look at history none of the those old fat farts where ever listened to as we do have 308's 223's and 6.5 Creedmoor cartridges.
Our women are carrying 25 autos that fit in the palm of a rather small hand so that was ignored as well.
As to the must use a bolt action those old fat farts where ignored yet again as the AR15 has to be one of the most popular guns seen at a range today.

It appears that the young skinny flatulence free are running the gun world even though the 30-06 is still alive and doing well.

And just for clarification 30-06 is a chambering or a cartridge and not a caliber.
www.unlimitedrange.org
Not a commercial business.
URSA - Competition starts at 2000 yards!
Old 07-30-2020, 6:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NapalmCheese View Post
I still think it comes down to, in this day and age the .30-06 is just a hunting cartridge. It's a good hunting cartridge, it's a versatile hunting cartridge, but it's just a hunting cartridge.

Playing PRS? 6 Dasher. .30-06 recoils too much, the action is too long.

Play F class? 6.5 something. .30-06 doesn't have the case volume to push really high BC .30 cal bullets at appropriate speeds to buck wind as well as the 6 or 6.5s.

3-Gun? .223. Not a lot of .30-06 semi autos built for 3-gun and if there were, recoil would be a issue.

Informal shooting with a 'big' gun? .308 in an AR-10, because they don't come chambered in .30-06.

etc.

No one wants a .30-06 anymore except for hunters and fewer people are getting involved in hunting these days. And those people who DO want to get involved in hunting ask their non-hunting tacticool friends if the .30-06 700 ADL combo at Big 5 is a good hunting gun and they get told "Nah dawg, you need a 6.5 something or other because it has better long range ballistics". So they go trusting their 'gun' friend and leave the venerable .30-06 behind in favor of the more modern cartridge with better long range ballistics.
This is a very good point. Hopefully the new hunter ignores his taticool friends advice . The advantages of 6,5 trajectory/wind drift ballisitcs are a non factor in real world hunting ranges(300yds and in whilst shooting field position not bench or prone all the time). Using a larger caliber , with a bigger wound channel for blood loss/blood trail for tracking is more important.
Old 07-30-2020, 7:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sigstroker View Post
It's a hunting cartridge, and most hunters don't sit on rifle forums because they shoot 10 rounds a year.
A hunter may shoot 10 rounds all year (or season) while hunting but they shoot a lot more to practice, set up their gear, and check their rifles prior to their hunt. Their best shot is typically their first out of a cold barrel and have to make it count, so they practice all year for that one shot.

I do know some old salts that shoot 10 rounds all year during hunting season or rut, but they grew up hunting and at their age, could care less about what the internet says.
Old 07-30-2020, 7:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3006 View Post
3006 is a bit over kill for California and take more powder to reload then the 308.
The late Mike Raahauge once told me , "an animal can't be too dead". So I do not buy the overkill theory. Hunting is not fishing , so the catch big fish with light tackle concept need not apply.

Last edited by theduracellbigd; 07-30-2020 at 7:37 AM..
Old 07-30-2020, 7:42 AM

Quote:
Or maybe its because it's no longer the 1950's and they aren't required to pray before the altar of the 114 year old cartridge as "the only good rifle caliber"?

Old farts, especially old hunters, have been complaining about every whiz-bang cartridge that's come out for ages; they complained that .270 Winchester was underpowered up into the 1970's, that .243 Winchester was puny until the 80's, that .308 Winchester is ".30-06 for women", that .223 Remington was a "poodle-shooter" even up until today, and anything created in the last 25 years in unproven and unworthy of any consideration, solely so they can prop up their chosen son as still the supreme cartridge to rule them all.
Well written, clear, concise but well....wrong. Old fart here I like lots of calibers, still have em. The .06 simply has flexibility that the others don't. Want to shoot a moose? how about ground squirrels with a sabot. Oh I do love the .223 poodle shooter too.
'I own the guns I own because I acknowledge mankind's shortcomings instead of pretending like they don't exist. There are evil men in this world and there just may be a time when I need to do the unthinkable to protect me or my family,'
Joshua Boston

"One of the penalties for refusing to participate in politics, is that you end up being governed by your inferiors." Plato
Old 07-30-2020, 7:56 AM

I think there's a lot of "hunters" that only shoot their rifle once or twice a year.

Have seen plenty of folks who go to the range the weekend before season opens to sight in/verify. Also seen folks who get a new rifle, never shoot it until the Sunday afternoon, range is closing in an hour type sight-in.

I scored a deal some years back on a rifle; only had 5 rounds thru it. 2 rounds to sight in the scope, and three misses in the field over a few deer seasons.

I shoot year round, but not so much with my hunting rigs. I do get them out to double check handloads, scope etc before season. And sometimes just to shoot them.

My primary cartridges are 30-06 and 308 in bolt actions, and 300 Savage in lever action.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pharmboy View Post
A hunter may shoot 10 rounds all year (or season) while hunting but they shoot a lot more to practice, set up their gear, and check their rifles prior to their hunt. Their best shot is typically their first out of a cold barrel and have to make it count, so they practice all year for that one shot.

I do know some old salts that shoot 10 rounds all year during hunting season or rut, but they grew up hunting and at their age, could care less about what the internet says.
Old 07-30-2020, 8:06 AM

308 is a bit over kill for California and take more powder to reload then the 300-Savage it was based on.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3006 View Post
Old 07-30-2020, 8:36 AM

I like guns. I like shooting guns. I like having many guns. Right now I have rifles in at least 27 chamberings from .17 HMR to .458 Lott, and I like them all.
Back in 1981 when my DCM Garand arrived at the post office (after a wait that seemed like forever), I fell in love.
After using it to win a high power silhouette match and fall a couple of trees, I decided that if I could only have one rifle it would be my Garand. I could hit anything I could see, and kill anything I could hit. My Garand was my first 30-06 but not my last.
Today, if I could only have one rifle, it would probably be my M1A.
I am blessed because I can have as many rifles in as many different chamberings as I want (can afford).
"I learned long ago, never to wrestle with a pig. You get dirty, and besides, the pig likes it." George Bernard Shaw
Old 07-30-2020, 9:19 AM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Or maybe its because it's no longer the 1950's and they aren't required to pray before the altar of the 114 year old cartridge as "the only good rifle caliber"?
Quote:
These kids need to man up and shoot a real man's gun in .30-06 instead of a wimpy .223 or 6.5 rifle, or carry a .45 ACP or .357 Magnum instead of that Enemic European 9mm!
The 9mm Luger cartridge was introduced in 1902, and so is older than the .45 ACP (1905), older than the .30-06 (1906).

It never really went out of fashion, as there were still Browning Hi-Powers and Walther P-38s to keep the cartridge alive, but it did have a sort-of renaissance in the 1980s with the advent of the "Wonder Nines" (Beretta 92, Glock 17, Sig P226 etc).

Good designs endure: 9mm Luger, .45 ACP, .45-70, and hopefully .30-06 too.

Time will tell.
Old 07-30-2020, 11:01 AM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by LynnJr View Post
Well time tells all so if we look at history none of the those old fat farts where ever listened to as we do have 308's 223's and 6.5 Creedmoor cartridges.
Our women are carrying 25 autos that fit in the palm of a rather small hand so that was ignored as well.
As to the must use a bolt action those old fat farts where ignored yet again as the AR15 has to be one of the most popular guns seen at a range today.

It appears that the young skinny flatulence free are running the gun world even though the 30-06 is still alive and doing well.

And just for clarification 30-06 is a chambering or a cartridge and not a caliber.
It's also gun article writers that I've seen claiming that it's "obsolete". I'm guessing that they're doing so because the gun companies that take out ads on their Web sites or in their magazines have "sent the message", kind of like technology publications and Microsoft software (MS pays a lot of ad money).

And indeed, I do refer to it as such (chambering or cartridge); you are correct.

Quote:
Originally Posted by theduracellbigd View Post
This is a very good point. Hopefully the new hunter ignores his taticool friends advice . The advantages of 6,5 trajectory/wind drift ballisitcs are a non factor in real world hunting ranges(300yds and in whilst shooting field position not bench or prone all the time). Using a larger caliber , with a bigger wound channel for blood loss/blood trail for tracking is more important.
In the summer of 2009, the now-wife and I went to an "Intro to IPSC Shooting" course. There was a team of three young-ish people (I'd say mid-to-late 20's, and reasonably nice people) with semi-autos, 9mm's and .40 S&W's, and they didn't have holsters. Rather, they had what I can only call, "suspension systems" to hold their pistols. This is where I learned what "tacticool" is.

They couldn't hit a thing. The now-wife and I had revolvers with my .38 Spl handloads. She and I were nailing the targets/steel plates. Matter of fact, she missed the first four...and didn't miss a doggone thing for the rest of the day.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlie50 View Post
Well written, clear, concise but well....wrong. Old fart here I like lots of calibers, still have em. The .06 simply has flexibility that the others don't. Want to shoot a moose? how about ground squirrels with a sabot. Oh I do love the .223 poodle shooter too.
The .223's are fun, aren't they? Shot an "old fart's" Ruger Mini-14 in .223. Those things throw the brass, but the rifle is very easy to shoot and even looks pretty cool.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5.56Geo View Post
The 30-06 cartridge is like Grandpa sitting in the living room recliner. If you sit and listen he’ll tell you stories of yester-year. If you mess with him he’ll beat your butt. People respect and honor him for what he has done it the past but every man in the room can do just about anything faster, better, and more efficient that the old geezer.
Well...I still wouldn't tick off the ol' geezer. :-)

Nice thing about cartridges is that, unlike humans, they don't actually age. The .30-06 still does everything as well today that it did back in the day.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DueceMcGurk View Post
OP,
Could it be that the disrespect you sense for the 30-06 uses the 30-06 as a surrogate for general disrespect of elders?
I hope not, though unfortunately I see a lot of what you're talking about. We do have a problem with that in this country, and several Africans have mentioned that to me. "You push away!", they say to us about how we treat elders.
http://www.liberalsguncorner.com (podcast)
http://www.youtube.com/sfliberal (YouTube channel)
----------------------------------------------------
To be a true Liberal, you must be 100% pro-Second Amendment. Anything less is inconsistent with liberalism.
Old 07-30-2020, 11:06 AM
I need a LIFE!!

People don’t think much about the .30-06 because the industry doesn’t do anything with it. There’s no reason the .30-06 couldn’t be a mid to long range round. The issue is there are maybe one or two factory match loadings in .30-06 and there are just as few factory rifles with heavy barrels. The round has been left on the “hunting only” shelf. If the industry was to actually push its development with some high performance match ammo and precision oriented rifles, it would probably be more relevant.
Old 07-30-2020, 11:11 AM
Veteran Member

Quote:
I still think it comes down to, in this day and age the .30-06 is just a hunting cartridge. It's a good hunting cartridge, it's a versatile hunting cartridge, but it's just a hunting cartridge.
Actually, it's a military cartridge, like the 7- and 8-mm Mauser cartridges on which it's based. The German Mauser cartridges are what led to the .30-06's development ("oh crap, a foreign power has outdone us!"). Turns out it's also good for hunting game animals as well as enemy soldiers.

Quote:
Playing PRS? 6 Dasher. .30-06 recoils too much, the action is too long.

Play F class? 6.5 something. .30-06 doesn't have the case volume to push really high BC .30 cal bullets at appropriate speeds to buck wind as well as the 6 or 6.5s.
German Salazar didn't seem to think so. I've read his .30-06 papers online before they got taken down. Seems like he was winning competitions with the cartridge.

Quote:
3-Gun? .223. Not a lot of .30-06 semi autos built for 3-gun and if there were, recoil would be a issue.
Now, that is true. If I were doing 3-gun, I'd want a good semi-auto in a lighter-recoiling cartridge like .223 to get back on target faster.

Quote:
Informal shooting with a 'big' gun? .308 in an AR-10, because they don't come chambered in .30-06.
Also true. The closest thing we have to an AR-10 in .30-06, to my knowledge, is the M1 Garand.

Quote:
No one wants a .30-06 anymore except for hunters and fewer people are getting involved in hunting these days. And those people who DO want to get involved in hunting ask their non-hunting tacticool friends if the .30-06 700 ADL combo at Big 5 is a good hunting gun and they get told "Nah dawg, you need a 6.5 something or other because it has better long range ballistics". So they go trusting their 'gun' friend and leave the venerable .30-06 behind in favor of the more modern cartridge with better long range ballistics.
Yeah, indeed, a lot of those tacticool friends seem to talk much and not actually do much. Not all, but certainly plenty that I've met. I've had to correct several of them talking about why Vortex and Nightforce are the only scope brands to go with and why Leupold sucks (not true; Vortex and obviously Nightforce make some good scopes, as does Leupold). The attitude seems to be, "Leupold's old, man, Vortex for the win!" I then mention Zeiss and they shut up, grimace, and start listening. :-) It's really funny to watch this happen.

Now, mind you all, I'm no expert. Not even close. Won't even try to pretend that I am. But I do believe it important to look at actual results before spewing off at the mouth. Actual results over the last 100+ years show me that the .30-06 remains a very good hunting cartridge.
To be a true Liberal, you must be 100% pro-Second Amendment. Anything less is inconsistent with liberalism.
Old 07-30-2020, 11:19 AM
Veteran Member

I'm no "great white hunter", but between the Mrs. and I we've hit 3 pigs with 30-06 copper TTSX rounds.

None of them took a single step. 2/3 had stopped moving completely by the time we got back on the scope. One just twitched for a while.

For my money, it's a good round.
Old 07-30-2020, 11:28 AM
Veteran Member

Quote:
The late Mike Raahauge once told me , "an animal can't be too dead". So I do not buy the overkill theory. Hunting is not fishing , so the catch big fish with light tackle concept need not apply.
Exactly

Old 07-30-2020, 11:35 AM
Veteran Member

W. R. Buchanan and TrappedInCalifornia point out something that I've also noticed about the '06, and that's its versatility. Generally, cartridges do some things well. The .30-06 seems to do almost everything well. A .300 Win Mag will keep you above transonic further out (duh), which is good for military snipers. The .338 Lapua seems to be even yet better at that application. Both of those cartridges have a bit more kick than I'd like to shoot regularly (I know, says the .300 Weatherby Magnum owner :-) ).

Quote:
And those people who DO want to get involved in hunting ask their non-hunting tacticool friends if the .30-06 700 ADL combo at Big 5 is a good hunting gun and they get told "Nah dawg, you need a 6.5 something or other because it has better long range ballistics".
Funny that you mention this. Back when I was shopping for the 7mm-08 a few years ago, on a lark I walked into a Dick's Sporting Goods (our version of Big 5). They had a scoped 700 ADL in .30-06 at a nice discount. They told me the price out the door, and I just couldn't say no. That's how I ended up with my Rem 700 in .30-06. Of course I replaced that cheapie scope with something better (Redfield Revolution TAC-MOA), and the rifle's a good shooter.

It appears that Col. Townsend Whelen was right when he said, "the .30-06 is never a mistake." I take that as Col. Whelen not casting aside other cartridges, but rather saying that if you do go .30-06, it's a good all-around choice.

Quote:
Calguns.net, where everyone responding to your post is a Navy Force Delta Recon 6 Sniperator.
I love that sig!
Old 07-30-2020, 11:50 AM

I'm no expert either, but IMO the 30-06 is a great round. It's simply not the 'currently fashionable' cartridge.

When I was looking for a long range rifle I did months of reading and schooled myself on internal, intermediate and terminal ballistics, point of maximum pressure WRT center of gravity how the difference between the two created a 'moment arm' in the projectile itself etc.

Based on what I know now, its kinda' hard to beat that old school 30-06. I ended up going with the 338LM because I wanted something with yet longer range. With the clarity of hindsight, and a decision made in haste as 01/01/17 loomed, the 30-06 might have been the better way to go.

“People like to think the political spectrum in this country runs from right to left. Really, it runs from top to bottom.” -Molly Ivins

"The self righteous need my help in their struggle toward self awareness"-John Cleese

Last edited by sfarchitect; 07-30-2020 at 11:56 AM..
Old 07-30-2020, 12:01 PM

The .45 LC, 9 mm, .45 ACP, and .30-'06 are all "old".

Regarding the .30-'06, offering factory loadings from 125 gr. to 220 gr. and everything in between, the .30-'06 remains the best all-around cartridge with the greatest selection of ammo and is available everywhere.

Folks like to noodle over ballistic data, etc., which is all terrific. The reality is that +95% of us can't shoot well enough to take advantage of the small differences between the .30-'06 and more modern cartridges.

I know that California makes it as difficult as possible, but we all need to get out and shoot more.
Old 07-30-2020, 12:28 PM

I really wish some of the 30-06 haters would post clear proof/evidence that at practical hunting ranges say to 300 yards just how the 30-06 cant cut it anymore against anything from the 6mm cal's all the way up to the .338 dia cartridges. Practical in the field differences, they don't exist. I've shot a lot of game over my lifetime and what I used worked unless the bullet was not placed properly on the animal or with a bad bullet that didn't perform as it "should" have. Most shot well under the 300 yard mark and probably most shot under or close to 100 yards. Everything from ground squirrels to elk and they went dead. Damn gun writers in most cases are no different than snake oil salesmen, sell ya something under the name of it's the best thing since the ......you pick it. You and that bullet do your part and they go dead and they don't know what it was a 30-06 or a 25-35 or a 375 H&H mag they go dead. The 30-06 just happens to be the most versatile cartridge ever invented period. Millions of guns for it out there and probably trillions of rounds of ammo of all kinds to choose from for the buy a box guy and then there is the reloader with even more choices, brass is cheap and every where. Maybe I should go and buy another 06, this old and proud boomer likes them, you kids that don't like them get over it because most of us older farts don't give a big chit. Rant mode done.
elk hunter, a 30-06 fan.
Old 07-30-2020, 12:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by California_Deplorable View Post
Seriously. I had a Tikka T3 lite with a limbsaver in .3006 that kicked like a summabich with 180gr loads. Like firing a mortar round from your shoulder.

But I can shoot my M1s all day with surplus HXP.

In a lightweight hunting rifle shooting heavy hunting loads it is probably worse than a 300WM. I could see that.

I just prefer .308 because I can use the same ammo in my bolt guns, M1As, and AR308s. And .308 is or was around .40-.50 cents a round vs .3006 which is .70-$1+ a round.
I have a Tikka T3 Lite in .300 Win Mag, and it does jump when shooting off the bench but I never notice it when hunting. I do have the Limbsaver pad on it! My two primary big game rifles are my .30-06 and my .300. I have others, but those are my go to choices.

Last edited by Calif Hunter; 07-30-2020 at 12:34 PM..
Old 07-30-2020, 12:42 PM

That may have to do with industry moving on from it for newer whiz bang cartridges. Some of them like the 6.5's really perform with lighter bullets than the 30-06. Already mentioned in posts here. 1950's thru most of Vietnam era, Hathcock, Land et al did a lot of military match shoots with it. And a lot of sniping. But they moved on too. Otherwise the match shooters would all be shooting Rem700 LA 30-06 in heavy barrels.

I like, and hunt with 30-06. Taken plenty of deer and antelope with it. It's a great all purpose round.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bhobbs View Post
People don’t think much about the .30-06 because the industry doesn’t do anything with it. There’s no reason the .30-06 couldn’t be a mid to long range round. The issue is there are maybe one or two factory match loadings in .30-06 and there are just as few factory rifles with heavy barrels. The round has been left on the “hunting only” shelf. If the industry was to actually push its development with some high performance match ammo and precision oriented rifles, it would probably be more relevant.
Old 07-30-2020, 12:59 PM
Veteran Member

I am a huge 30.06 supporter. I personally believe it’s the best all around cartridge for hunting North American big game. It appears to me that the 6.5 is the younger generations caliber of choice.....it’s their “30.06”. I have no problem with that at all, but it wouldn’t be my choice for hunting anything bigger than a mule deer. Yes, the 6.5 is adequate for elk, but not the best choice.
Old 07-30-2020, 3:03 PM

Quote:

With modern technology you can get a smaller projectile, in a shorter case, that can produce similar if not equal or better results to a .30-06, with the easiest example to point to being the 60+ year old .308 Winchester; save for the heaviest bullets, a .308 will do everything a .30-06 can do in a 20% shorter cartridge, making for a shorter bolt and thus shorter overall length for the rifle compared to a .30-06 rifle. It's literally an improved .30-06.

For your and other reasons, and the specific fact that I don't need to shoot bullets that weigh more than 165 grains, I chose the .308 Winchester as my all-around rifle cartridge.

All the same, I agree with the luminaries of the 20th century's gun press, who, when polled about the greatest cartridge of the 20th century selected the venerable .30-06.

I think most of the new cartridges are terrific but for my all-around purposes the .308 Winchester will do everything I need it to do and do it well.

Last edited by riftol; 07-30-2020 at 3:13 PM..
Old 07-30-2020, 4:50 PM
I need a LIFE!!

I had a 30.06 once, sold it after 4 months. I didn't have a whole lot of use for it.

I enjoy the forum's love it or hate it attitude.

For deer, pig, pronghorn, etc. my choice of cartridge is based on what gun I want to use, as any of the .26-.30 caliber cartridges will do the job.

One rifle, one planet, Holland's 375

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v214/Fjold/member8325.png

Life Member NRA, CRPA and SAF
Old 07-30-2020, 5:23 PM
CGSSA Associate

Ford Chevy Dodge Ford Chevy Dodge Ford Chevy Dodge Dodge Chevy Ford Dodge Chevy......

When's hunting season?
Old 07-30-2020, 5:47 PM

Quote:
Powerful and magnum calibers on smaller game often leave a huge exit wound and destroys the meat. Field dressing is harder/nastier too, especially with gut perforations. Would suck if a trophy beer came up and you tear it up beyond recognition. Might as well call an air strike.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MJB View Post
Ford Chevy Dodge Ford Chevy Dodge Ford Chevy Dodge Dodge Chevy Ford Dodge Chevy......
Tesla Cybertruck

Last edited by Pharmboy; 07-30-2020 at 5:56 PM..
Old 07-30-2020, 6:47 PM

Quote:
Would suck if a trophy beer came up and you tear it up beyond recognition.
I hate when that happens, even with regular beer.
Old 07-30-2020, 8:16 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fjold View Post
For deer, pig, pronghorn, etc. my choice of cartridge is based on what gun I want to use, as any of the .26-.30 caliber cartridges will do the job.
No quarter bore love? For shame.
Old 07-31-2020, 6:24 AM
I need a LIFE!!

Quote:
No quarter bore love? For shame.
That's actually one of the only small calibers that I don't own. Being a lefty they're harder to find. I would like a a Ruger No.1 in 257 Bob though.

Old 07-31-2020, 6:44 AM

Quote:
Powerful and magnum calibers on smaller game often leave a huge exit wound and destroys the meat. Field dressing is harder/nastier too, especially with gut perforations. Would suck if a trophy beer came up and you tear it up beyond recognition. Might as well call an air strike.

Tesla Cybertruck
Pharmboy please do not take comments out of context, that's a liberal trick....haha, most people use a rimfire or shotgun for small game, not a CF rifle. If a little extra blood on ones hands during field dressing is an issue maybe they should take up a cleaner sport. The trophy "beer", I assume bear, is a bit dramatic of an example . Oh and Tesla.......ya you must be a liberal....haha

Last edited by theduracellbigd; 07-31-2020 at 7:27 AM..
Old 08-01-2020, 5:31 AM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Tesla Cybertruck
Quote:
Oh and Tesla.......ya you must be a liberal....haha
Tesla Cybertruck for the win!

And I say that as a Ford truck owner. That Cybertruck does look really doggone cool.

But I digress.

Hey...is that a contradiction--kinda liking an ol' granddad cartridge like the .30-06, and Tesla, at the same time? Oh me, oh my....
Old 08-01-2020, 8:15 AM
Veteran Member

Quote:
... Would suck if a trophy beer came up and you tear it up beyond recognition. Might as well call an air strike.

Have you ever shot a bear? I assume you mean a bear, as you will tear up a can of beer beyond recognition indeed.

Here are pics of entry and exit wounds of a bear. Shot with a .500 caliber 335 grain Cutting Edge tipped Raptor bullet at 2,950 fps. As you can see it was not torn beyond recognition. Now, inside there was no heart, it was soup.

Entry:

Exit:

You can see effectiveness here:

Old 08-01-2020, 7:18 PM
I need a LIFE!!

I think he was saying "Trophy deer" and it came out beer.

Old 08-01-2020, 7:57 PM
Veteran Member

Beer, I’ll drink to that! A2
Old 08-01-2020, 8:28 PM

It’s still the most versatile cartridge ever invented. I’ve dropped down later in life to 7mm-08/270/280 size cartridges but when and if I hunt moose, elk or bear it’s my Sako 85 .30-06 every time. I’ve owned and reloaded the .308 and 300 Win Mag and I still prefer the ‘06. I hunt mostly deer now and you just don’t need a .30 cal rifle to kill one, so I use the smaller ones. (The 6.5 Creedmoor is simply for ***** beta-males)
Old 08-02-2020, 6:45 AM
Veteran Member

Verdha603; tell you what. You buy what you like and I'll buy what I like. Fair enough?
Old 08-02-2020, 9:35 AM

Quote:

Tesla Cybertruck
Ran into that exact dilemma last night in my garage. Six trophy beers wandered in. Probably from Penn's corral. He is known to have the largest herd of trophy beers in CA. Reached for my '06 but from this thread knew not to fire. Choked 'um down instead.

Woke up this morning and there are empty beer cans strung over my mantle where my moose head used to be. What a night! lol
Old 08-02-2020, 9:45 AM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Ran into that exact dilemma last night in my garage. Six trophy beers wandered in. Probably from Penn's corral. He is known to have the largest herd of trophy beers in CA. Reached for my '06 but from this thread knew not to fire. Choked 'um down instead.

Woke up this morning and there are empty beer cans strung over my mantle where my moose head used to be. What a night! lol
LOL! Been there, done that! Might even happen today! You know, the day of rest and all. Priorities out of the way. Morning walk, TV church and now, well.......

MLC
Old 08-02-2020, 9:48 AM

Quote:

That's one of the best hunting stories I have heard in some time....what a hunt.
Where they domestic species or some imported exotics? HAHA
Old 08-02-2020, 9:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sigstroker View Post
It's a hunting cartridge, and most hunters don't sit on rifle forums because they shoot 10 rounds a year.

Too much recoil for LR.
Too weak for ELR.
Inherently inferior design for LR/target uses compared to the short, fat, takes long-for-caliber bullets of the new hotness - 6.5 Creedmoor, 6 Dasher et al, .30 PRC

The forums primarily have people interested in those 3 types of shooting.
You should've told that to the 18 year old who fired maybe a hundred rounds in a single day during WWI and WWII.

He'd be impressed by your fragility.

Got Zydrate?

Help, I'm having premonitions of future flashbacks.

"All Californians, like all citizens of the United States, have a fundamental Constitutional right to keep and bear common and dangerous arms. The nation’s Founders used arms for self-protection, for the common defense, for hunting food, and as a check against tyranny." Judge Benitez - March 2019