Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > INTERESTS AND ACTIVITIES > Ammo and Reloading
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Ammo and Reloading Factory Ammunition, Reloading, Components, Load Data and more.

Old 07-07-2013, 5:58 PM

Default Getting false reading on my Shooting Chrony

I was a little frustrated today at the range. My F1 Shooting Chrony was giving me a lot or errors and false readings.
I noticed that it was recording/reading (at low velocity) shots that were fired from the lanes next to me. The guy on my left has a 6.8spc and the other on my right, a 308. I would either get an error once I hear a boom or a reading of low numbers (like 1825).
I would not have noticed this false reading had it not for the unbelievable read out I got while shooting a load of 24.3 grain H335 on a 55 grainer. I had an AV 3793 ES 238.8 and SD 66.46. The HI was 3913 and LO was 3674.
I was like WTF?! the brass didn't show any signs of over pressure though so I shot all 10 round batch.

I had the chrony set up about 10' in front of me. Anyone had this issue?
Old 07-07-2013, 6:04 PM
Calguns Addict

The crony is reading the muzzle blast of the rifles around you. For best results, do not set up surrounded by powerful cartridges like that. 6.8spc and 308 will give quite a "blast". It cannot read their shots because they are not crossing your optical eyes.
...but their exists also in the human heart a depraved taste for equality, which impels the weak to attempt to lower the powerful to their own level, and reduces men to prefer equality in slavery to inequality with freedom.
Old 07-07-2013, 6:57 PM
Veteran Member

Yep, most likely blast readings from other guns and even sometimes your own. I owned a Chrony once that sucked. One out of every ten was maybe a good reading. Best shot I ever took at it was the one that destroyed it, lol.

You just need to play with it more and find out what it likes. Most of those cheaper chronographs work best without the sun shades up in complete shade. Like under a tree. You can try different types of scenarios in your backyard with a BB gun or airsoft gun. Mine would read BB's perfectly in my backyard under the shade of a tree.

After I shot my Chrony I upgraded to an Oehler. Never misses a shot. But for the price difference a Chrony's not such a bad deal once you figure it out.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oceanbob View Post
Get a DILLON...
Old 07-07-2013, 8:13 PM

Unfortunately I cannot choose the lane I get assigned to.
Would moving the chrony further fix the problem?

Incidentally, anybody wants 6.8spc brass? I got about 80 pieces picked up from the range.
I'm in Daly City, pm me if interested.

Last edited by gemini1; 07-07-2013 at 8:24 PM..
Old 07-07-2013, 10:25 PM
I need a LIFE!!

FLASHBACKS!

Best thing to do might be to move your chrony down range another few feet.

I HATE when that happens, but then again, how do you know exactly what readings are good and which are bad?

Need GOOD SS pins to clean your brass? Try the new and improved model...

And remember- 99.9% of the lawyers ruin it for the other .1%...
Old 07-08-2013, 3:44 AM
Veteran Member

Hopefully you have a remote unit that can delete the false readings. If you don't, I hope you can read the velocity of each of your shots. Then simply record it on a notepad and do the calculations yourself either during the cease fires or at home.
Old 07-08-2013, 12:16 PM
Calguns Addict

Best to find a different place to shoot. Then put a pop-up shade over it. You can come and shoot with me on a range without all the problems you have there when trying to use the chrono. I am very close to Modesto.
Old 07-08-2013, 1:15 PM

When you get a few extra bucks look at the MagnetoSpeed chronograph it doesn't use optical screens, rather it uses a magnetic pickup similar to an electric guitar pickup. It works best with rifles and shotguns and some pistols and revolvers. The sensitivity can be programmed for small lightweight bullets that escape detection on the optical models (.204 24 grain Hornady NTX @ 3900+fps). It is not sensitive to muzzle blast, mainly because it is barrel mounted in the blast zone. Mine works with all cartridges including .22-250, 243 WSSM, 6.5x284 and even those with muzzle brakes. I only tout it because it made my life so much easier, just mount and dismount it while standing at the bench in less than 2 minutes. My two Oehler chronographs now sit unused.

http://www.magnetospeed.com/

Last edited by Wrangler John; 07-08-2013 at 1:21 PM..
Old 07-08-2013, 1:18 PM

I read somewhere about building your own Chronograph box with lighting to achieve the most consistent readings, which would also eliminate/reduce muzzle blast from you or nearby lane shooters.

They call them Chrono Coffins....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wrangler John View Post
I am waiting for some variant for autoloading pistols. This will be amazing when it happens.

Last edited by gemoose23; 07-08-2013 at 1:21 PM..
Old 07-08-2013, 1:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gemoose23 View Post
I read somewhere about building your own Chronograph box with lighting to achieve the most consistent readings, which would also eliminate/reduce muzzle blast from you or nearby lane shooters.

I am waiting for some variant for autoloading pistols. This will be amazing when it happens.
I saw a custom setup on their site http://www.magnetospeed.com/pages/custom that is designed for testing across multiple rifles in a ballistic lab allowing for various barrel diameters. For an autoloading pistol this type of setup could be adapted to present the bayo at the correct distance below the muzzle of a pistol mounted on a rest. I have very few semiauto pistols so there is no impetus for me to cobble one together. It would be a fun project for someone with an aptitude for mechanical adaptation. P.S.: You can never have too many C clamps.
Old 07-08-2013, 1:38 PM

Quote:

I know who built that and supposedly it works great. I just got a Competition Electronics for $99 and it works flawless. Just pawn that POS on someone else and buy a CE prochrono.
Old 07-08-2013, 1:40 PM

It's ghosts. There are several rituals you can perform to expel the souls of the damned.

It's all explained in the Hornady 12th edition Necronomicon.
Old 07-08-2013, 2:15 PM

Shooting Chrony's are the low end of chrono's and you get what you pay for.

Several times recently I have had folks with these come up to me and ask if they can run some rounds over my chrono because theirs is giving them false and inconsistent results. Very typical for these units when you cannot carefully control the environment you are in.
Old 07-08-2013, 3:56 PM
I need a LIFE!!

I used my beta model for the first time last weekend. Worked great except when the sun was high and behind me (uber clear sky). Read uber high with some errors indicating 1st or 2nd sensor didn't detect. The sun shades did no good. By afternoon I was in partial shade and it worked great. I was thinking just a much larger shade of opaque plastic (simulating cloud cover). Issue being any wind is gonna raise heck.

I'd think anything optical is going to have some lighting issues...after all, it's detecting a shadow of the bullet. Muzzle blast from adjacent rifles is another issue. I'd think closer to you would be more discretionary from other shooters, but may pick up your own blast. Further might get out of the blast altogether, but your window gets smaller.

I did mine out in the forest cuz it's too difficult at a regulated range to get all set up during cease fires.

No Mas Hamas

#Blackolivesmatter

Last edited by JagerDog; 07-08-2013 at 3:59 PM..
Old 07-08-2013, 6:40 PM

I've actually emailed S. Chrony's customer support and their response was to move it further, 15-20 feet.
Old 07-08-2013, 6:52 PM

Quote:

I was actually thinking of fashioning out some kind of enclosure (kinda like a tent/triangular shape) made from large black plastic garbage bag in fron of the chrony. But then I thought, would it be worth going through all the trouble for a hundred or so rounds? not to mention, the wind factor that may play embarrassing moments if it ever flew in to other shooters lane.
Old 07-08-2013, 6:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Divernhunter View Post
Best to find a different place to shoot. Then put a pop-up shade over it. You can come and shoot with me on a range without all the problems you have there when trying to use the chrono. I am very close to Modesto.
Hey Diver, are you shooting on private range? If I'm ever close to your area, I'll pm you on that offer.
Old 07-08-2013, 10:25 PM
Calguns Addict

It is a club I belong to but the range is usually not crowded and we all work together so things turn out fine.
Old 07-09-2013, 5:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wrangler John View Post
I saw a custom setup on their site http://www.magnetospeed.com/pages/custom that is designed for testing across multiple rifles in a ballistic lab allowing for various barrel diameters. For an autoloading pistol this type of setup could be adapted to present the bayo at the correct distance below the muzzle of a pistol mounted on a rest. I have very few semiauto pistols so there is no impetus for me to cobble one together. It would be a fun project for someone with an aptitude for mechanical adaptation. P.S.: You can never have too many C clamps.
thanks for the Link and Pics!!! another project to put on the list...
Old 07-10-2013, 7:15 AM

I use the short stocks with sun shades works fine.
Old 07-13-2013, 1:47 PM

Buy a Magnetospeed so you don't have to deal with all the idiosycrasies. Mine has worked very well right out of the box. Set up is not down range and neither is the read out. It stores the information, Average muzzle velocity, Standard Deviation, and Extreme Spread. The new generation works well with large muzzle breaks. I am now very popular at the shooting range.

Best of Luck,
Dave
Old 07-20-2013, 1:32 AM
I need a LIFE!!

Apparently you have no autoloading handguns?
Old 07-22-2013, 4:56 PM
Veteran Member

Try putting a piece of scotch tape over each "eye". This should help.
And as another poster said, put the chrony out to 15'.