Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > CONCEALED CARRY/LICENSE TO CARRY > Calguns Concealed Carry County Information Forum
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Calguns Concealed Carry County Information Forum Information on how to get a LTC in yourCounty

Closed Thread

Old 02-28-2012, 8:05 AM

Much more streamlined. The GC, GMC area still needs attention. We can see what approved GC is, we just need to see if ability to own/transfer/purchase/use a fiream is GMC
Old 02-29-2012, 5:40 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor

Interview is tomorrow..

I have to say..I'm a little nervous..not worried..just nervous..
Old 02-29-2012, 5:44 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by benjaminh98 View Post
Interview is tomorrow..

I have to say..I'm a little nervous..not worried..just nervous..
Relax, it's not a bad process. My interview was positive beyond my expectations. The resulting denials were a big letdown for me.

I hope to re-apply again at the end of March.

Let us know how things go.

-178S

Last edited by One78Shovel; 02-29-2012 at 5:47 PM..
Old 02-29-2012, 6:33 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor

Is there anything that I should take to make for less legwork?
Old 02-29-2012, 6:34 PM
I need a LIFE!!

Quote:
Is there anything that I should take to make for less legwork?
Just follow the procedure posted at the VCSO website.

-Brandon

I do not read private messages, and my inbox is usually full. If you need to reach me, please email me instead.

My comments are not the official position or a statement of any organization unless stated otherwise. My comments are not legal advice; if you want or need legal advice, hire a lawyer.
Old 03-02-2012, 1:53 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor

Start to finish, the process took ~20 minutes.

Records clerk looked over my paperwork..copied my DL..asked me for the fees..fingerprinted me and sent me on my way..

She said it takes about 4 weeks to get a response from the BG and fingerprinting..

Overall..

Picked up my application for CCW on Thursday, February 23
Had my appointment for CCW on Thursday, March 1
By the end of March, I should hear the decision

Thats a pretty fast turn-around
Old 03-03-2012, 6:56 AM

That is an encouraging improvement.
I just moved from a shall-issue state (Pennsylvania) and I find the situation here surreal. I read the Ventura County Sheriff's SEVEN pages of instructions for applying for full use of my fundamental right under the Constitution. It's apparent we have made a huge amount of progress, but the mere fact that anyone requires seven pages of instructions to explain to me to how to go about realizing my rights is a bit of a shock to my system.
Regardless, keep up the good fight!
Old 03-06-2012, 6:30 AM

I applied along with my wife using previous good cause statements, as they are applicable to us. We were told by the interviewers that we probably would not get our licenses and that we should not move forward. We did anyways... not I am just waiting for our denial letter in the mail. I plan on appealing... I have no faith that anyone who is not an LEO is going to get a LTC in this county. I was told by the Oxnard PD that unless you are retired LEO that you are NOT going to get a LTC, and that you have absolutely no reason to have one.
"No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms. The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in government"

-- Thomas Jefferson, 1 Thomas Jefferson Papers, 334
Old 03-06-2012, 6:35 AM

A year ago, based on the lawsuit and everyone's talking i really thought Ventura Country was going to be much different in a positive way. Looks like the only thing that happened is the noose got tightened. The road to denial is faster and more streamlined. My wife and I were anxiously awaiting to apply and now we're mostly just waiting to move out of the state.
Old 03-06-2012, 7:04 AM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by automatikdonn View Post
I applied along with my wife using previous good cause statements, as they are applicable to us. We were told by the interviewers that we probably would not get our licenses and that we should not move forward. We did anyways... not I am just waiting for our denial letter in the mail. I plan on appealing... I have no faith that anyone who is not an LEO is going to get a LTC in this county. I was told by the Oxnard PD that unless you are retired LEO that you are NOT going to get a LTC, and that you have absolutely no reason to have one.

Did you apply to The Sheriff or Oxnard PD?
Old 03-06-2012, 11:15 AM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by icentropy View Post
A year ago, based on the lawsuit and everyone's talking i really thought Ventura Country was going to be much different in a positive way. Looks like the only thing that happened is the noose got tightened. The road to denial is faster and more streamlined. My wife and I were anxiously awaiting to apply and now we're mostly just waiting to move out of the state.
Has anyone posted that they were denied under the new system?
Old 03-06-2012, 4:00 PM

Yes, there have been denials. The question is, with identical good cause statements to already approved, which of the denials are going to lawyer up and challenge the VCSO. Will administration follow suit w/ Sacramento and realize they are in a losing battle limiting civil rights unconstitutionally.
Old 03-06-2012, 5:37 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor

Quote:
Start to finish, the process took ~20 minutes.

Records clerk looked over my paperwork..copied my DL..asked me for the fees..fingerprinted me and sent me on my way..

She said it takes about 4 weeks to get a response from the BG and fingerprinting..

Overall..

Picked up my application for CCW on Thursday, February 23
Had my appointment for CCW on Thursday, March 1
By the end of March, I should hear the decision

Thats a pretty fast turn-around
My biggest issue is that I didn't have an actual "interview" with anyone. Like I said above...paid the fees..got fingerprinted...and off I went..
Old 03-06-2012, 5:40 PM
I need a LIFE!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by atomicwedgy View Post
Yes, there have been denials. The question is, with identical good cause statements to already approved, which of the denials are going to lawyer up and challenge the VCSO. Will administration follow suit w/ Sacramento and realize they are in a losing battle limiting civil rights unconstitutionally.
That hypothetical case, if any were filed, would be stayed pending Nordyke just like Scocca. ROI nearing zero.

Quote:
My biggest issue is that I didn't have an actual "interview" with anyone. Like I said above...paid the fees..got fingerprinted...and off I went..
That's exactly how it should be. What's the problem?

-Brandon

I do not read private messages, and my inbox is usually full. If you need to reach me, please email me instead.

My comments are not the official position or a statement of any organization unless stated otherwise. My comments are not legal advice; if you want or need legal advice, hire a lawyer.
Old 03-06-2012, 5:45 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by wildhawker View Post
That's exactly how it should be. What's the problem?

-Brandon
no problem at all....I was just a little concerned..

I can't make these days go by any faster can I? haha
Old 03-06-2012, 6:01 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
That is not a good sign. Just living in Oxnard alone should suffice as a GCS. Just listen to the scanner and that should be clear. Don't get me wrong, I lived in Oxnard for 30 plus years.

-178S
Old 03-11-2012, 6:18 PM

Applied in Jan 2012, got the interview quickly. Paid the fees and got fingerprinted. Then 70 days later got denied under the grounds of there isn't enough threat to my safety to justify the permit. I was amused since the sherriff admited that crime was up in Ventura county. I believe that story was in the Ventura County Star a couple of weeks ago.

Would appreciate any ideas on how to effectively appeal. I know there are people who were approved that used the same justification and received their LTC.
Old 03-13-2012, 3:08 AM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by magnum8898 View Post
Applied in Jan 2012, got the interview quickly. Paid the fees and got fingerprinted. Then 70 days later got denied under the grounds of there isn't enough threat to my safety to justify the permit. I was amused since the sherriff admited that crime was up in Ventura county. I believe that story was in the Ventura County Star a couple of weeks ago.

Would appreciate any ideas on how to effectively appeal. I know there are people who were approved that used the same justification and received their LTC.
The sheriff just found a way to pay the coffers back from the lawsuit. Make no change to the issue decision whatever that is, and make money in the process doing so.

Before they denied you for free.

Thanks to Florida and Arizona, they have issued permits to protect Californians once they leave the state they subsidize daily.

-178S
Old 03-13-2012, 5:47 AM

I got my denial letter in the mail from the VCSO saying I didn't meet the criteria. Here is my good cause statement.

I will outline the 3 reasons for which I feel are good cause for obtaining a license to carry. I am a Staff Sergeant in the United States Army, with 10 years of honorable service. I understand what it takes, and what is to protect this country, and I have been deployed to combat. I am of good moral character; I currently hold a SECRET clearance with the US Government. I have previously held a Top Secret clearance while serving at Camp Roberts, California. I have extensive firearms training from the US Army, and know how to safely handle a pistol. Through my service I have learned to stay cool under pressure, and to not over react when the situation does not dictate force is required. I am very familiar with the escalation of force, and would only meet the level of force require to dissolve a situation when protecting myself or my family. I am not a drug user, as I am tested by the US Army frequently to prove this fact.

1. I hire people to work for the United States Government, more specifically the Department of the Army. Through my job I incur a great deal of undue prejudice outside of my job. I do realize that while I work in a federal building, and will be unable to carry a weapon for self-defense while I am at work. I incur this prejudice while I am in my civilian clothing as people know who I am, and I frequently have people make threats, and once incident where a man attacked me merely because of my job. *OMMITTED* attacked me while I was attending a*OMMITTED* for a future soldier on the *OMMITTED*. I have reason to believe that people are capable of anything, and rejecting someone for the service provides this motivation for them to bring me harm when I am alone, and out of uniform.
2. I operate a web design business in my off time from my job with the US Army. I design, program, and develop website for local businesses and people. Upon completion of the job I am frequently paid in cash for these transactions, and depending on the website, it may be in the thousands of dollars. I feel carrying this sum of money with no way to protect myself to be foolish.
3. I am an outdoor enthusiast and frequently make my way into very remote areas of California. I take backpacking and camping trips with myself, my wife, and my step daughter. I frequently travel to areas where rapid response from the police department would be impossible. I take my family with me on these trips, and without the ability to unloaded open carry my handgun I have no means to protect myself or my family. Remote areas and rest stops are not statistically the safest areas of the country. Attacks from wild animals are not likely, but not impossible. The have been 12 cited attacks from bears in the last 20 years. The most prevalent threat would be attacks from people who are running drug operations, or growing marijuana in the remote areas I travel to. These remote areas range from San Diego to Redding. When on our excursions we typically sleep in a tent, and have no safe shelter to hide in.
In conclusion I feel a license to carry is justified for the above reason. Thank you for your time.
"No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms. The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in government"

Old 03-13-2012, 6:52 AM
Veteran Member

Quote:
I got my denial letter in the mail from the VCSO saying I didn't meet the criteria. Here is my good cause statement.

I will outline the 3 reasons for which I feel are good cause for obtaining a license to carry. I am a Staff Sergeant in the United States Army, with 10 years of honorable service. I understand what it takes, and what is to protect this country, and I have been deployed to combat. I am of good moral character; I currently hold a SECRET clearance with the US Government. I have previously held a Top Secret clearance while serving at Camp Roberts, California. I have extensive firearms training from the US Army, and know how to safely handle a pistol. Through my service I have learned to stay cool under pressure, and to not over react when the situation does not dictate force is required. I am very familiar with the escalation of force, and would only meet the level of force require to dissolve a situation when protecting myself or my family. I am not a drug user, as I am tested by the US Army frequently to prove this fact.

1. I hire people to work for the United States Government, more specifically the Department of the Army. Through my job I incur a great deal of undue prejudice outside of my job. I do realize that while I work in a federal building, and will be unable to carry a weapon for self-defense while I am at work. I incur this prejudice while I am in my civilian clothing as people know who I am, and I frequently have people make threats, and once incident where a man attacked me merely because of my job. *OMMITTED* attacked me while I was attending a*OMMITTED* for a future soldier on the *OMMITTED*. I have reason to believe that people are capable of anything, and rejecting someone for the service provides this motivation for them to bring me harm when I am alone, and out of uniform.
2. I operate a web design business in my off time from my job with the US Army. I design, program, and develop website for local businesses and people. Upon completion of the job I am frequently paid in cash for these transactions, and depending on the website, it may be in the thousands of dollars. I feel carrying this sum of money with no way to protect myself to be foolish.
3. I am an outdoor enthusiast and frequently make my way into very remote areas of California. I take backpacking and camping trips with myself, my wife, and my step daughter. I frequently travel to areas where rapid response from the police department would be impossible. I take my family with me on these trips, and without the ability to unloaded open carry my handgun I have no means to protect myself or my family. Remote areas and rest stops are not statistically the safest areas of the country. Attacks from wild animals are not likely, but not impossible. The have been 12 cited attacks from bears in the last 20 years. The most prevalent threat would be attacks from people who are running drug operations, or growing marijuana in the remote areas I travel to. These remote areas range from San Diego to Redding. When on our excursions we typically sleep in a tent, and have no safe shelter to hide in.
In conclusion I feel a license to carry is justified for the above reason. Thank you for your time.
WoW- We have much in common my friend.

I am starting to wonder that if you have an Oxnard address it leads to immdediate denial.

If you can't get a CCW, many of us are done.

-178S
Old 03-13-2012, 7:41 AM

Quote:

You obviously need to look at your reasoning from the sherriffs point of view...

1. You must have said something really wrong to piss off those people. Take a class in conflict resolution.

2. Don't you know there are professionals that can be hired to carry cash? Call Brinks or Guarda...

3. The outdoors IS dangerous! Stay out of there and you won't get hurt.

Seriously, though, what is it going to take to get the sherriffs to respect our rights? Is it going to take the assault, robbery, or murder of someone who has been denied LTC?
Old 03-13-2012, 8:15 AM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by 82fb View Post
Seriously, though, what is it going to take to get the sherriffs to respect our rights? Is it going to take the assault, robbery, or murder of someone who has been denied LTC?
Having been through 2 of those reasons, along with trespassing and vandalism, are why I applied for LTC. My GCS, and supporting evidence, show this to be a habitual pattern against me by a certain group of individuals.

We will see if I am denied.

Not to stir the pot, but I have no issues with going to court due to me being denied my rights.
Old 03-13-2012, 8:37 AM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 82fb View Post
Or, a person who is arrested for carrying, or defending himself, after being denied LTC on inital and appeal. Then takes it to a jury and wins.

-178S
Old 03-13-2012, 8:40 AM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by One78Shovel View Post
Or, a person who is arrested for carrying, or defending himself, after being denied LTC on inital and appeal.

-178S
I just don't understand how the government can deny/outlaw both open and concealed carry. What makes even less sense is the fact that there is no rhyme or reason as to HOW California denies these rights. GCS #1 is good in this area of CA, but not GCS #2. But you move to another part of CA and suddenly its reversed.
Old 03-13-2012, 4:19 PM

Quote:
Not to stir the pot, but I have no issues with going to court due to me being denied my rights.
What I'm wondering, Is how we can effect the political position of Sheriff? As an elected official in a relatively conservative county, why can't we get someone in office that is willing to get with the program? I think we may actually benefit from "potstirring" as it seems denials are becoming very commonplace.

Benjamin,

Unfortunately it seems that CGF has previously stated a lawsuit is a waste of time and resources at this point due to other stayed cases in the courts.
Old 03-13-2012, 4:51 PM
I need a LIFE!!

Quote:
Unfortunately it seems that CGF has previously stated a lawsuit is a waste of time and resources at this point due to other stayed cases in the courts.
I'd restate that to say another Guillory lawsuit would likely just be stayed pending Nordyke (and maybe Richards) anyway, so the utility of such litigation is practically mooted. It appears that some applicants who have expressed "good cause" similar to those previously approved are being denied; it's certainly an area that the applicants can take up with the VCSO and, possibly, the local media.

-Brandon

Old 03-13-2012, 6:09 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
I'd restate that to say another Guillory lawsuit would likely just be stayed pending Nordyke (and maybe Richards) anyway, so the utility of such litigation is practically mooted. It appears that some applicants who have expressed "good cause" similar to those previously approved are being denied; it's certainly an area that the applicants can take up with the VCSO and, possibly, the local media.

-Brandon
Good point Brandon-

I have reviewed the article by the VC Star. The reporter who wrote the story on the lawsuit and subsequent order for VCSO to release data, contact information follows.

I just left him a voicemail

Adam Foxman
Title: Staff writer
http://www.vcstar.com/staff/adam-foxman/contact/

Last edited by One78Shovel; 03-13-2012 at 6:15 PM..
Old 03-14-2012, 6:13 AM

I guess i can be trusted to hold national secrets, but not a firearm. Unless I am at War.

Old 03-14-2012, 8:54 AM

I left a message too. I'd love to see a public outcry. If it's all about politics, we should play politics.

Adam Foxman
Title: Staff writer
http://www.vcstar.com/staff/adam-foxman/contact/
Old 03-14-2012, 9:18 AM

This is unreal... My wife and I had the exact same good cause statements.... Her permit got approved... mine denied.... I think I am going to appeal this

Old 03-14-2012, 9:22 AM

Hers did not include being attacked....

Old 03-15-2012, 5:21 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor

Quote:
This is unreal... My wife and I had the exact same good cause statements.... Her permit got approved... mine denied.... I think I am going to appeal this
Quote:
Hers did not include being attacked....
wow..just wow..

Sounds like VC has a great ability to be consistent in their approval criteria..
Old 03-18-2012, 12:56 PM
CGSSA Coordinator
CGN Contributor

This is so disheartening to read. I too live in VC, I work in a business where I regularly transport audio/visual gear worth 100-300k and I typically must pickup and unload it in some of the sketchiest neighborhoods in Hollywood and LA. I was thinking about applying but as a white male, it seems like an exercise in futility. My wife, OTOH, probably could get one, except that she is a teacher and wouldn't be able to carry while at work, which is where the threat has been the greatest (from a parent, not a student).

Automatikdonn, I would do something about this, that is beyond arbitrary, it's like they have a dartboard in the Sheriff's office for CCWs and 90% of the board is blocked off, "deny" and 10% is marked off "approved".

My office I work for is based in Phoenix and when I go there, it is like a whole other world gun-wise.

Please, anyone else in VC who has been approved for CCW this year, post and tell us about your GC.
Old 03-20-2012, 7:55 PM

I called and asked why and they were unable to say anything other than that I do not meet the criteria to receive a permit at this time....

Old 03-21-2012, 10:19 AM
I need a LIFE!!

Anything that they say can and will be used against them in a court of law ...

Don't tell someone to read the rules he wrote or tell him that he is wrong.

Never try to teach a pig to sing. You waste your time and you annoy the pig. - Robert A. Heinlein
Old 03-21-2012, 10:47 AM
I need a LIFE!!

Send them a letter via certified mail (with a return receipt requested) reminding them that their office has duties under the Penal Code:

Quote:
26160. Each licensing authority shall publish and make available a
written policy summarizing the provisions of Section 26150 and
subdivisions (a) and (b) of Section 26155.

26202. Upon making the determination of good cause pursuant to
Section 26150 or 26155, the licensing authority shall give written
notice to the applicant of the licensing authority's determination.
If the licensing authority determines that good cause exists, the
notice shall inform the applicants to proceed with the training
requirements specified in Section 26165. If the licensing authority
determines that good cause does not exist, the notice shall inform
the applicant that the request for a license has been denied and
shall state the reason from the department's published policy,
described in Section 26160, as to why the determination was made.

26205. The licensing authority shall give written notice to the
applicant indicating if the license under this article is approved or
denied. The licensing authority shall give this notice within 90
days of the initial application for a new license or a license
renewal, or 30 days after receipt of the applicant's criminal
background check from the Department of Justice, whichever is later.
If the license is denied, the notice shall state which requirement
was not satisfied.
-Brandon

Quote:
I called and asked why and they were unable to say anything other than that I do not meet the criteria to receive a permit at this time....

Old 03-21-2012, 7:10 PM

Again I find myself here. Looking towards those more educated on this process than I am.
I recieved my second denial letter. With the box checked "good cause, as stated in section 2g".
I have congruent good cause to those already approved. I am of "good moral character" for all intents and purposes. I am a resident.
This has put a distaste in my mouth for this administration.

Someone find me a hope&change bumper sticker.

What can I do to help further this process. I thought we were in a LTC friendly county. That the Sheriff was "working" with us.
Old 03-21-2012, 9:31 PM
I need a LIFE!!

Quote:
What can I do to help further this process.
Read the past handful of pages; the data is there.

Quote:
I thought we were in a LTC friendly county.
What gave you that impression?

Quote:
That the Sheriff was "working" with us.
He did exactly what he committed to doing.

-Brandon

Old 03-22-2012, 8:37 AM

Quote:
I highly recommend that everyone remains patient for just a while longer. We will address the process issues, but first we need to understand Ventura's acceptable good cause and good moral character.
This is really all I can find. Patience I have. What confuses me is I have not bee declined for good moral character, I have been declined for good cause. My good cause is identical to those already approved by Sheriff Dean. That is where I lose comprehension of his reasoning.

Anyone else see this differently than I?
Old 03-22-2012, 3:08 PM
Veteran Member

There is something behind this for sure. Could be he gets contributions for his campaign from the anit's thus does their bidding, I just don't know.

-178S
Closed Thread