Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > FIREARMS DISCUSSIONS > Shotgun discussions
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Shotgun discussions Trap, Hunting, Defense and more. A place for enthusiasts to discuss the shotgun.

Old 03-15-2019, 11:19 AM

Default Would mini-slugs be too much penetration for home defense?

I have discovered that I dislike practicing with my home defense pump shotgun. This is due to the harsh recoil and the pellet spread. I find it unpleasant and boring to stand only ten yards from a target and manage repeated kickbacks from the gun. Ive tried Aguila mini buckshot; the recoil was mild and the shells mostly cycled well. The pattern wasnt especially tight, though. Im wondering about the mini slugs from Aguila and the new ones from Federal. Are mini slugs considered dangerously overpenetrative like regular slugs generally are, or might they be a reasonable choice for home defense? Thanks for sharing any knowledge or experiences with the mini slugs.
Old 03-15-2019, 11:28 AM

Default Handload?

I've toyed with that thought too. Less recoil and more rounds. My conclusion was that, unless the shotgun was made for mini-rounds (and I don't believe any are), the setup is just not dependable enough for self defense. But, if recoil is the main issue (and penetration the second) maybe its possible to hand load a normal sized round that serves your purpose. Just a thought. There are a ton of people here who know a lot more than I do. I'm sure you'll get a lot of ideas.
Old 03-15-2019, 11:36 AM

I have a KSG as part of my home defense options. I keep one tube loaded with Aguila mini buckshot, and the other tube loaded with Aguila mini slugs. It’s set to fire the buckshot first, but I can switch tubes in a split second. I feel like the buckshot will work fine based on YouTube and my own testing at the range. I just like having the option of slugs.
Old 03-15-2019, 11:50 AM

Out of an 18" 590, I noticed a poi shift and minute of barn door accuracy. They were soft shooting, try a box.
Old 03-15-2019, 5:03 PM
retired Goon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Starslinger View Post
Are mini slugs considered dangerously overpenetrative like regular slugs generally are, or might they be a reasonable choice for home defense?
They penetrate as deep as other brands of low recoil slugs.
^Which is similar to some .50Beowulf subsonic loads.

Aguila mini-shell slug = 12Gauge (7/8oz) ~383gr slug @ 1300 FPS
Federal LE tactical tru-ball rifled slug = 12Gague (1oz) ~438gr @1300 FPS
Fiocchi low recoil slug = 12Gague (7/8oz) ~383gr slug @1300 FPS
Remington managed recoil slug = 12Gague (1oz) ~438gr @ 1200 FPS

.50Beowulf (subsonic) 385gr @ 1305 FPS

"If someone has a gun and is trying to kill you, it would be reasonable to shoot back with your own gun. - Dalai Lama (Seattle Times, 05-15-2001).
Old 03-15-2019, 5:15 PM

Have you considered a 20 gauge? #3 buck at HD range is very effective. If that’s not an option i have no experience with mini slugs but if I put my fist through drywall slug Would also.

If recoil is the issue several solutions available
- recoil pad
- low recoil loads Remington makes a #4 buck reduced recoil load
- make sure shotgun fits you
Old 03-15-2019, 6:20 PM
Calguns Addict

Red face

What are houses made OF out there?! Sugar glass?

My little brick hovel was built in '54, and I use an AR for HD. And my Benelli M1 Super 90 is loaded with 2 3/4" slugs and 00 Buckshot (alternating). The ONLY penetration I'M worried about, is the BAD guy.
Old 03-15-2019, 6:34 PM

Go to YouTube and search for Paul Harrell. He did a thorough 2-part review of the mini shells and IIRC they didn't fare well.
Old 03-15-2019, 8:19 PM
Calguns Addict

Mini slugs are not known for reliability. Keep the hd gun loaded with normal buckshot and practice trap for fun with birdshot. Do not use birdshot for hd.
Old 03-15-2019, 8:22 PM
小さな女性
CGN Contributor - Lifetime

Quote:
Originally Posted by deckhandmike View Post
Mini slugs are not known for reliability. Keep the hd gun loaded with normal buckshot and practice trap for fun with birdshot. Do not use birdshot for hd.
Plus 1000 to this. OP. You will adapt if you continue to shoot birdshot for practice. Your shoulder will become tougher. If you ever encounter using your HD shotgun for real, your shoulder and discomfort will be the last thing you ever think about.
I've been married so long that I don't even look both ways when I cross the street.
Quote:
A society that aims for equality before liberty, will end with neither equality nor liberty.
-Milton Friedman
Old 03-16-2019, 8:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quiet View Post
They penetrate as deep as other brands of low recoil slugs.
^Which is similar to some .50Beowulf subsonic loads.

Aguila mini-shell slug = 12Gauge (7/8oz) ~383gr slug @ 1300 FPS
Federal LE tactical tru-ball rifled slug = 12Gague (1oz) ~438gr @1300 FPS
Fiocchi low recoil slug = 12Gague (7/8oz) ~383gr slug @1300 FPS
Remington managed recoil slug = 12Gague (1oz) ~438gr @ 1200 FPS

.50Beowulf (subsonic) 385gr @ 1305 FPS
Thanks for this information, Quiet. I thought perhaps the mini slugs were light enough or slow enough that over penetration wasn't an issue, but apparently that's not the case.
Old 03-16-2019, 8:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by meno377 View Post
Plus 1000 to this. OP. You will adapt if you continue to shoot birdshot for practice. Your shoulder will become tougher. If you ever encounter using your HD shotgun for real, your shoulder and discomfort will be the last thing you ever think about.
Actually the recoil doesn't bother my shoulder much. What bothers me about the recoil is that I can't rest my cheek against the stock and get a good sight picture, because if I do the shotgun will kick up and smack me in the cheek or jaw. Also, it's boring because there's no challenge to hitting a stationary target with buckshot or birdshot at ten yards. Maybe I'll try trap or skeet shooting again and see if I can get into it.

Thanks again for the advice all.
Old 03-16-2019, 9:06 AM

If your gun has a regular buttstock, put a Graco Breako mercury recoil reducer in it. I think the 14oz is the biggest one. Even just adding weight will make a felt difference, but the mercury recoil reducers work better. Then you can run full power loads. Doesn't help with over penetration though.
Old 03-16-2019, 1:24 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Starslinger View Post
Actually the recoil doesn't bother my shoulder much. What bothers me about the recoil is that I can't rest my cheek against the stock and get a good sight picture, because if I do the shotgun will kick up and smack me in the cheek or jaw. Also, it's boring because there's no challenge to hitting a stationary target with buckshot or birdshot at ten yards. Maybe I'll try trap or skeet shooting again and see if I can get into it.

Thanks again for the advice all.
Seems like a fit issue.

I like the mini shells but the lack of recoil messes up my technique. I use the recoil to help me cycle the gun.

Like so:

The mini shells stop my "flow". They work well but I have to shoot, recover, cycle, shoot, recover, cycle instead of cycling during recoil. But they might work for you. Remember to cycle with authority.

Last edited by SnWnMe; 03-16-2019 at 1:28 PM..
Old 03-16-2019, 2:47 PM

I got 3 boxes of mini shells, buck x2 and slug. I got the adapter ($15) for Mossberg and they work fine. They are expensive (relatively speaking) but boy can they be fun! But I wouldn't use them for HD that's what the Hornady is for.