Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > CONCEALED CARRY/LICENSE TO CARRY > Calguns Concealed Carry County Information Forum
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Calguns Concealed Carry County Information Forum Information on how to get a LTC in yourCounty

Old 02-01-2018, 10:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by msbscott View Post
anybody?
thanks
What's wrong with safeinsight.com? I'm sure Mike would like to know if there's a problem. Is the range qualifying in north county the issue?
Old 02-01-2018, 11:02 AM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doheny View Post
DOJ's online system isn't worth relying on. Good to hear that OCSD has your results.
Thanks. OCSD does seem very efficient.

Quote:
Originally Posted by H2O Maker View Post
What was the timeframe from your finger print scan to when OCSD received the results?
I didn't find that out.

Last edited by Chewy65; 02-01-2018 at 11:05 AM..
Old 02-05-2018, 4:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tuna quesadilla View Post
Quick question; I tried searching but couldn't find an answer.

The OCSD website states that the applicant's driver's license must reflect the current address. Mine does not, because California refuses to issue a new DL when you file a change of address. Has anyone had a problem with this?
Just saw this. I recently got approved for my CCW by OCSD.

I had an old address on my DL. After my livescan and interview and all that they just had me update my address with the DMV and email them the confirmation of the update.

I did it all online. If you have proof that you updated your address you should be good. If you updated they may just see it when they do their background check.

I currently have my old address on my physical DL. It wasn't a problem at all.

Actually OCSD was great. I took longer with training and livescan then they took in dealing with me.
Old 02-08-2018, 10:01 AM

I just submitted an amend for a new license cause I added a new firearm to my ccw, Any one know how long it currently takes to receive my new card?
Old 02-08-2018, 1:25 PM
I need a LIFE!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Allidoisfish View Post
I just submitted an amend for a new license cause I added a new firearm to my ccw, Any one know how long it currently takes to receive my new card?
About a week and a half. You'll get an email telling you to come pick it up. It's a painless process now. Don't forget to take your checkbook.
Old 02-08-2018, 6:21 PM
NRA/CRPA/CGN/CGSSA
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doheny View Post
About a week and a half. You'll get an email telling you to come pick it up. It's a painless process now. Don't forget to take your checkbook.
PAINLESS? I got the email from my Investigator on Monday telling me that my packet had been moved into the final approval stage, and that I would be getting an email with my pickup date soon. No pickup yet... Every single email I've gotten since then has made me jump for joy and then deflate in disappointment.
Old 02-08-2018, 6:24 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Quote:
PAINLESS? I got the email from my Investigator on Monday telling me that my packet had been moved into the final approval stage, and that I would be getting an email with my pickup date soon. No pickup yet... Every single email I've gotten since then has made me jump for joy and then deflate in disappointment.
Rookie.
You have no idea how the pioneers suffered ....
"You Trumpsters are such sheep" MRH
"Only a weakling shows unfettered support for a country. I have to laugh at you sheeple" Killbill
"Nope. Sorry old fart, flag waving, America hating, shortsighted gun nut. You couldn't be more wrong. Try using some critical thinking skills" RazoE
"Your white privilege guilt is showing" Doh
NRA Patriot Life Member, Patron Level, Sustaining member of CRPA, GOA, GOC, VFW, SAF, FPC, Knife Rights, NAGR Frontline Defender
Old 02-08-2018, 7:13 PM

Quote:
At least you get emails instead of crickets.
Old 02-08-2018, 9:35 PM

I just renewed my driver license and opted to place my PO Box on it, rather than my home address. I wonder if that will cause any issues when I renew my permit next week??

Any get a permit with a PO Box on your ID?
Old 02-09-2018, 8:57 AM

^^Will not affect it.
You have to prove residency with your ccw app.
Old 02-09-2018, 12:13 PM

Thanks Browneye. I didn't think it would be a problem. I wonder if I could put the PO Box on my permit too?
Old 02-12-2018, 8:36 AM

I'm doing my 2nd renewal (3rd license). First time using the online process and I have one question.

It has an option to upload the training cert. Previously OCSD would give you a conditional approval and then you would get your training cert. Are they now asking you to do the training cert first? Can I submit this online form and then they give me a conditional approval like before?

EDIT: nevermind. I see it says the cert is required before submitting the renewal.
EDIT part 2: So does the renewal still require a 4 hour class or just a shooting qualification?? Would love to just shoot and go.

Last edited by AnthonyD1978; 02-12-2018 at 8:47 AM..
Old 02-12-2018, 12:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnthonyD1978 View Post
I'm doing my 2nd renewal (3rd license). First time using the online process and I have one question.

It has an option to upload the training cert. Previously OCSD would give you a conditional approval and then you would get your training cert. Are they now asking you to do the training cert first? Can I submit this online form and then they give me a conditional approval like before?

EDIT: nevermind. I see it says the cert is required before submitting the renewal.
EDIT part 2: So does the renewal still require a 4 hour class or just a shooting qualification?? Would love to just shoot and go.
Still requires 4 hours. :-(
Old 02-13-2018, 7:17 AM

Quote:

Update: I submitted mine anyway without the cert. I think they will give a conditional approval and then tell you to get the cert. Like they used to during the old manual process. If not I'll post here and let everyone know.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ladiver View Post
Still requires 4 hours. :-(
Found a place that is OCSD approved that does the lecture portion online. Then you just go in for the shoot qualification.
Old 02-13-2018, 8:17 AM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Update: I submitted mine anyway without the cert. I think they will give a conditional approval and then tell you to get the cert. Like they used to during the old manual process. If not I'll post here and let everyone know.

Found a place that is OCSD approved that does the lecture portion online. Then you just go in for the shoot qualification.

Info sharing is a good thing

-
Old 02-14-2018, 7:58 AM

Fastest training option:
www.safeinsight.net

The classroom portion is online at your convenience. The range portion is in Brea with a qualified instructor. Easy-peasy.
Old 02-14-2018, 5:10 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by H2O Maker View Post
What was the timeframe from your finger print scan to when OCSD received the results?
Sorry that I didn't answer this earlier. I don't know since the email I received from OCSD, when I contacted it it to ask about the delay in getting the scan results, didn't say when OCSD received the results. Only that they had been received and my file was pending review.
Old 02-14-2018, 6:36 PM
NRA/CRPA/CGN/CGSSA
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chewy65 View Post
Sorry that I didn't answer this earlier. I don't know since the email I received from OCSD, when I contacted it it to ask about the delay in getting the scan results, didn't say when OCSD received the results. Only that they had been received and my file was pending review.
I'll weigh in here and add my two cents. It was less than a week for me. I got livescanned right after I left my interview with the Investigator, and then he emailed me in less than a week saying my results were received & approved. I'm not sure what the implication is if it's taking a very long time.
Old 02-15-2018, 9:38 AM
Veteran Member

Thanks, Tuna. It could be that whoever does the approvals got swamped, there may be a change in processing, or it may just be bad timing if whoever has to do the review is out. Even deputies get ill and have other reasons for time off.
Old 02-16-2018, 1:21 PM

I just submitted my renewal, 85 days before expiration. Last time I was in, they said they would process it, then hold it until a day or two before the old one expires.
Old 02-20-2018, 10:28 AM

Update for those wondering if they will still give you a conditional approval, when using the new online process for renewal, before asking for your training cert or if you need to submit the training cert with your initial packet. I found the reimbursement comment interesting.

Short answer: You can submit your initial renewal packet without the cert and they will give you a conditional approval first.

Quote:
Hello OCSD,

I submitted my renewal for my CCW online (my last renewal was the older "manual" process) a little over a week ago. I did NOT submit my training cert with my initial application. For my initial permit and previous renewal we were told to wait for the conditional approval before paying for and completing the training cert. Is this still the case or should I go ahead and pay/complete my training cert and submit it online?
Quote:
Good morning,

It is up to you, whether you’d like to complete your training now or wait for a conditional approval. If the training is done before, it would be accepted if you are to get conditionally approved, however, if you are not, the training will not be reimbursed.

Thank you,

CCW Licensing Unit
Orange County Sheriff’s Department
Professional Standards Division
320 North Flower Street
Santa Ana, CA, 92703
Ph: 714.834.7229 Fax: 714.834.5605
ccwpermits@ocsd.org

Last edited by AnthonyD1978; 02-20-2018 at 10:31 AM..
Old 02-20-2018, 10:52 AM

Curious what a conditional approval looks like. I was ask to complete my training but neither the words "conditional" or "approval" were used.
Old 02-20-2018, 1:15 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Update for those wondering if they will still give you a conditional approval, when using the new online process for renewal, before asking for your training cert or if you need to submit the training cert with your initial packet. I found the reimbursement comment interesting.
They are covering the statutory provision of https://leginfo.legislature.ca.gov/f...5.&lawCode=PEN
Quote:
26165. (d) The applicant shall not be required to pay for any training courses prior to the determination of good cause being made pursuant to Section 26202.
Determination of good cause moves you to "Conditional Approval". They are making sure you understand that prior to that authorization, you are incurring the costs of training on your own, without recourse to the IA.
Old 02-21-2018, 11:42 AM

Default Timeline

Picked up my license today!!!
It seems like OCSD has sped up the processing time. Here is my timeline:

12/13/17 - Initial application and appointment request
1/13/18 & 1/14/18 - 16 hour training course and Livescan
2/21/18 - Interview with OCSD & picked up license immediately after.

10 weeks total from initial application to license pickup.
Old 02-21-2018, 1:08 PM
NRA/CRPA/CGN/CGSSA
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by lca473 View Post

Nicely done! I think we should emphasize to new applicants that they should get their Livescan and training done BEFORE the interview. People who do this are getting way faster service. My interview was a month before yours, and I'm still waiting for OCSD even though my livescan and training have since been completed!
Old 02-21-2018, 4:49 PM

^^Yep. At this point I think it may be faster to just reapply. There are plenty of openings on the schedule.
Old 02-22-2018, 8:09 AM
Veteran Member

wow that's fast!

I just applied for renewal on 2/19. Had same curiousity about the certification but they clarified it can be submitted after. I have my training scheduled for Monday. Haven't received conditional approval yet, but I hear no one renewing has been denied.

Who are you guys training with, and whats the approximate cost? Prefer being able to do classroom portion online.
Old 02-22-2018, 8:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thegamettt View Post
>snip

Who are you guys training with, and whats the approximate cost? Prefer being able to do classroom portion online.
SafeInsight.net
Old 02-24-2018, 9:41 AM

Yesterday I received the email saying I was approved. My timeline:

9/15/17--requested interview appointment.
11/30/17--interview day. My application was complete and the deputy said it was good and I was basically approved and would hear something in a few weeks.
2/23/18--at about 5:30 I got an auto call that I let go to voicemail telling me to check my email. Email said approved.

The deputy saying a few weeks was probably correct before they went to the new system. I called a few times to confirm I hadn't missed an email and I was told my app was on the seargent's desk and it would probably be only a matter of a few days. That was maddening after awhile. They eventually said the new system had bogged down the approvals. I'll pick it up on Monday.

I do have a question for anyone who has recently gotten the email: there is an order number listed. Did this turn out to be your license number?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 02-27-2018, 11:28 AM
Veteran Member

Promo714, Were the results of your scan in when you had your initial interview and if not when did you submit the scan application? Thanks.
Old 02-27-2018, 3:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Promo714 View Post
Yesterday I received the email saying I was approved. My timeline

I do have a question for anyone who has recently gotten the email: there is an order number listed. Did this turn out to be your license number?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yes. It is your license number.
Old 02-28-2018, 2:38 AM
Veteran Member

Hey everyone, I’m renewing soon, is everyone still using “lawful self defenses” as good cause sole good cause or what?

Thanks
Old 02-28-2018, 12:00 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by luckystrike View Post
Hey everyone, I’m renewing soon, is everyone still using “lawful self defenses” as good cause sole good cause or what?

Thanks
No. You need to articulate your particular need but a naked statement of need for self defense is not acceptable even if the OC determines the existence of good cause much more liberally than it did pre-Peruta. I suggest you go back and skim several pages of this thread. There is no one size fits all qualification.
Old 02-28-2018, 12:14 PM

I just got an update on my renewal.

In order to complete the application process please upload the following document:

1). Employment verification letter (on letterhead) indicating your job duties.

I am not really interested in having my company know that I have a CCW. I am an IT guy and have to work all hours of the day/night if a problem arises. This was not my only good cause, but just one of them. I wonder if I can just remove this section and resubmit my good cause statement.

I don't even like having my work address listed on my permit.
Old 02-28-2018, 12:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ladiver View Post
I just got an update on my renewal.

In order to complete the application process please upload the following document:

1). Employment verification letter (on letterhead) indicating your job duties.

I am not really interested in having my company know that I have a CCW. I am an IT guy and have to work all hours of the day/night if a problem arises. This was not my only good cause, but just one of them. I wonder if I can just remove this section and resubmit my good cause statement.

I don't even like having my work address listed on my permit.
They asked the same of me. My company was not notified, my company does not know and no where on my permit (Actual card) is my work listed. No biggy IMO. Their just ensuring if you say "I do this" your job description says "You do this". They are attempting to weed out the person that says "I work at night with a million dollar work vehicle in compton" and his job description says "Dude is a receptionist and job duties include sitting in an OBGYN clinic for up to 8 hours and must be able to life 2 lbs if necessary"

Quote:
Originally Posted by lca473 View Post

10 Weeks - it used to take us 10 months - ahh the good ole days

Last edited by downdiver2; 02-28-2018 at 12:42 PM..
Old 02-28-2018, 12:56 PM

I understand where they are coming from. I just want to make sure 1. my permit is not conditional of my employment and 2. my employer never finds out.

On my original and renewal, there was nothing about my employment. I made a modification in December and got a new card which did list my job and address. There were no restrictions on my new card either.

I will submit the documents and hope that satisfies them.
Old 02-28-2018, 1:38 PM

After a few e-mails back and forth, I decided to resubmit my Good Cause statement. I had more than just my career, so I removed that portion and no verification needed.

Call me paranoid, but I really don't want my employer knowing about this. They are very anti-2A so I could not tell them what the verification is for. If I don't tell them, then they would assume I am looking for another job. I had that situation happen in the past. :-) I was not looking, but they thought I was and I ended up with a raise!!! LOL
Old 02-28-2018, 2:53 PM

@ladiver - glad that worked out for you.
I was asked for verification which I provided as the Network Admin/CIO. Nothing further was required and no one called my employer. They are however listed on my permit.
Old 03-01-2018, 2:36 AM
Veteran Member

Thanks, I just submitted the renewal with out training, I got an email back and they difinately said self-defense is not going to cut it but that wasn’t my only good cause. I can definately see the changes since I last renewed with them, including the deminor of the unit.

Will def keep updated here

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chewy65 View Post
No. You need to articulate your particular need but a naked statement of need for self defense is not acceptable even if the OC determines the existence of good cause much more liberally than it did pre-Peruta. I suggest you go back and skim several pages of this thread. There is no one size fits all qualification.
Old 03-01-2018, 9:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Browneye View Post
@ladiver - glad that worked out for you.
I was asked for verification which I provided as the Network Admin/CIO. Nothing further was required and no one called my employer. They are however listed on my permit.
I speak FUD - Darnit - My bad - my employer address is listed on my permit. Sorry, its been in my wallet and it hasnt seen the light of day in a few