Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > FIREARMS DISCUSSIONS > Rimfire Firearms
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Rimfire Firearms .22, .17 and other Rimfire Handguns and Rifles

Old 03-01-2012, 2:50 PM

Default Volquartsen Accurizing kit for Ruger Mark III

So I picked up the accurizing kit from Volquartsen for my brand new Ruger Mark III. I've heard all the stories about how hard this gun is to take apart, let alone install a new trigger and sear. My plan was to take it to a local gunsmith and have them do it. They said it would be $45 and I could pick it up the next day. Well, I didn't want to wait so I went home and attempted the install myself. What a pain in the @ss! Breaking the gun down is actually really simple, even taking out the inner parts from the frame. But putting it back together.... whole nother story! I tried to find a video on youtube and found one, but the guy breaks down the gun, installs the new parts, and puts it back together in about 5 minutes and doesn't really explain or show what exactly he's doing. So after hours of trying to get the gun back together, I finally get everything back together correctly. It's now 12:30 at night and I'm tired and frustrated. I go to put the mag in and I put the damn thing in backwards!!! S.O.B!!! So I tear the gun apart again and start from scratch. By now, I'm a pro at it so it goes rather quickly. This time though, I don't install the sear spring correctly. I take the gun to the range to finally shoot it for the first time and the gun is shooting in three shot bursts! Holy chit! Though it was fun, I knew it was very unsafe so I knew it was back to the drawing board. By now I'm thinking I should have just taken it to the gunsmith, but then I would miss out on all the fun! So again, I break it down and reassemble it, taking note of what I did different the last time. I quickly see the problem and fix it. Now, my gun works great, shoots better, and I know the inside of a Ruger Mark III very intimately! I installed a Burris Fastfire red dot and this is by far my new favorite gun. If any of you are having trouble with this kit, let me know and maybe I can help. I think I can put this thing together with my eyes closed now! Maybe I'll do a youtube video, the one that exist now is not very good. Now that the project was a success and is over, I'm kinda sad I dont have anything to tinker on now! Maybe I'll start an AR build!
Old 03-01-2012, 2:58 PM

You should have purchased a Mark II kit as well as a Mark II hammer bushing. That way you could get rid of the magazine disconnect feature.
With that removed, a Mark III can be field stripped and put back together in less than 15sec.

As far as working on firearms. Some simple tools go a long ways.

Punches
Small hammers (plastic, brass, and rubber tipped)
Picks
Various needle nose pliers
I was on a ride-along, and the officer i was with saw a parked car with occupants. He was going up to ask them to move their car and as soon as he gets to the window the passenger says "I have meth under my seat."

I've never understood the self-confessors....

Last edited by XDshooter; 03-01-2012 at 3:01 PM..
Old 03-01-2012, 3:56 PM

I did almost the same thing. Got it assembled and hit the range the next day. Sear spring didnt want to cooperate, so i went back to the factory sear spring, after that, she was flawless! Not to toot my own horn, but im pretty good at tearing the Mkiii down to pieces and putting it back together. Im glad i did it myself, now i know exactly how it works, and if there is a problem i can diagnosis what caused it before i break it down.

"You cannot invade mainland America. There would be a rifle behind every blade of grass" -Japanese Admiral Isoroku Yamamoto (WW2)
Old 03-01-2012, 4:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by XDshooter View Post
You should have purchased a Mark II kit as well as a Mark II hammer bushing. That way you could get rid of the magazine disconnect feature.
With that removed, a Mark III can be field stripped and put back together in less than 15sec.

Quote:

Punches -- brass and steel
Small hammers (plastic, brass, and rubber tipped, 2 pound deadblow)
Picks
Various needle nose pliers -- hemostat
And, BTW, there's nothing wrong with using the VQ sear spring -- . Unless you have a 22/45 It goes in long arm down behind the crossbar in the frame, short arm to the front of the sear so it pushes the sear back to engage the hammer. And the spring should be oriented so the spring arms come off the back (not the front.)

"Necessity is the plea for every infringement of human freedom. It is the argument of tyrants; it is the creed of slaves."
William Pitt (1759-1806)
Old 03-01-2012, 4:22 PM

Quote:

Punches
Small hammers (plastic, brass, and rubber tipped)
Picks
Various needle nose pliers
Amen to that. And that goes double for the bushing, it makes a bigger difference than the whole accurizing kit! If you didn't get a bushing, go to rimfire central and search "Sam bushing." Sam Lam lives in Canada and sells them for ten bucks shipped if I remember right. It's the best mod you can do to a MK3s trigger pull, and as a bonus, your mags will come flying out!
Old 03-01-2012, 4:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue Ridge Reef View Post
Amen to that. And that goes double for the bushing, it makes a bigger difference than the whole accurizing kit! If you didn't get a bushing, go to rimfire central and search "Sam bushing." Sam Lam lives in Canada and sells them for ten bucks shipped if I remember right. It's the best mod you can do to a MK3s trigger pull, and as a bonus, your mags will come flying out!
+1 for Sam's bushing. The magazine disconnect "feature" is a real PITA when it comes to breaking the gun down as well as having the mags hang up in the frame. The mags really do fly out now Oh, BTW Sam has recently bumped the price to $11 shipped.
Old 03-01-2012, 4:52 PM

Thanks for the replies guys, I'll look into that bushing.
Old 03-01-2012, 7:52 PM

do a search on Youtube about the mag disconnect. You remove the mag disco spring and lever, and replace it with 3 washers, two 5mm and one #10 sae washer. Cost me about .89 cents at the hardware store, works just as good.

"You cannot invade mainland America. There would be a rifle behind every blade of grass" -Japanese Admiral Isoroku Yamamoto (WW2)
Old 03-01-2012, 9:31 PM

I did the same thing with the mag disconnect. All I had to do was remove the mag disconnect parts and bushing, and install a volq. mk2 hammer bushing into the stock Mk3 hammer and reassemble. Mags drop free, and fires without magazine. perfect.
Old 03-01-2012, 10:14 PM

thinking about doing this also...but I'm very afraid of taking it apart. if you do a video it would be very much appreciated!
Old 03-01-2012, 10:57 PM

Calgun rimfire shooters -

Research the topics over at this community:

http://www.rimfirecentral.com/forums/index.php

Info will set you free!
Old 03-02-2012, 8:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fatcat View Post
Calgun rimfire shooters -

Research the topics over at this community:

http://www.rimfirecentral.com/forums/index.php

Info will set you free!
Thanks for the site, wish I knew about this one sooner!
Old 03-02-2012, 12:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by m1a1driver View Post
I did the same thing with the mag disconnect. All I had to do was remove the mag disconnect parts and bushing, and install a volq. mk2 hammer bushing into the stock Mk3 hammer and reassemble. Mags drop free, and fires without magazine. perfect.
Using the Mk3 hammer is worthless without a press fit bushing.

There is too much play with a Mk3 hammer using a Mk2 bushing, which is fine when using the full width Mk2 hammer.
I was on a ride-along, and the officer i was with saw a parked car with occupants. He was going up to ask them to move their car and as soon as he gets to the window the passenger says "I have meth under my seat."

Old 03-02-2012, 12:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue Ridge Reef View Post
I looked into this Sam's Bushing. If it's the same dimensions as whats floating around, then it's wrong. It's nice that it's press fit, BUT the OD of the larger shoulder area is too small.
http://rugerforum.net/ruger-rimfires...-mark-iii.html

You can see the larger OD is smaller than the Mk2 bushing.

It CAN cause the trigger bar to hang up. I really don't know what he was thinking. That bushing should have been copied directly from the Mk2 bushing with press fit and a small shoulder spacer added in for the Mk3 hammer.

Old 03-02-2012, 11:37 PM

Quote:
Using the Mk3 hammer is worthless without a press fit bushing.

There is too much play with a Mk3 hammer using a Mk2 bushing, which is fine when using the full width Mk2 hammer.

http://guntalk-online.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=634
works fine in my gun. What problems does it create?

Last edited by m1a1driver; 03-02-2012 at 11:40 PM..
Old 03-03-2012, 4:38 PM

Just bought a Volquartsen mark II bushing and some Hogue grips. Thanks for all the info guys!
Old 03-04-2012, 7:32 PM

"I take the gun to the range to finally shoot it for the first time and the gun is shooting in three shot bursts! Holy chit! Though it was fun, I knew it was very unsafe so I knew it was back to the drawing board."

Not just unsafe but technically illegal. I have yet to have learned of a situation where a kitchen table gunsmith has been sent to jail for an honestly botched trigger job, but I know that I wouldn't want to be the first

Good job on getting it functional though.
Old 03-04-2012, 8:50 PM

I have a new 22/45 and wondering what parts to get. Should I get all mk2 parts or just the hammer and sear(sp)?
Old 03-05-2012, 10:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Remus View Post
"I take the gun to the range to finally shoot it for the first time and the gun is shooting in three shot bursts! Holy chit! Though it was fun, I knew it was very unsafe so I knew it was back to the drawing board."

Not just unsafe but technically illegal. I have yet to have learned of a situation where a kitchen table gunsmith has been sent to jail for an honestly botched trigger job, but I know that I wouldn't want to be the first

Good job on getting it functional though.
You haven't seen this yet then.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bWWW1WOQpDk
Old 03-05-2012, 12:07 PM

Default FTF

I though I would check with fellow GN'ers to see if anyone has had this problem. I have a MK III 22/45 and recently installed the VQ accurizing kit and the titanium disconnect. I also removed the mag disconnect and added the MK II Hammer bushing.

First time at the range, I noticed that once in a while it would shoot two rounds with a single pull of the trigger. It also started to have failure to fire. It was not the first round but maybe the third or fourth round. The hammer was not set even though a round was in the chamber. I summized that the sear was not holding the hammer cocked. I am going to change the sear back to the OEM and see if the problem goes away.

Anyone with this problem?
Old 03-05-2012, 4:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chaozu View Post
You haven't seen this yet then.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bWWW1WOQpDk
I'm aware of that instance, it is why I underlined the word honestly. It was my understanding that the man was convicted because he was offering to sell the rifle in that "malfunctioning" condition rather than repair it. There is one of many previous discussions of the case in this calguns thread here.

<http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/archive/index.php/t-147627.html>

Not trying to thread jack but on the other end of the spectrum is this court case:
http://caselaw.findlaw.com/wa-suprem...t/1039974.html
Old 03-05-2012, 5:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tfunakoshi View Post
I though I would check with fellow GN'ers to see if anyone has had this problem. I have a MK III 22/45 and recently installed the VQ accurizing kit and the titanium disconnect. I also removed the mag disconnect and added the MK II Hammer bushing.

First time at the range, I noticed that once in a while it would shoot two rounds with a single pull of the trigger. It also started to have failure to fire. It was not the first round but maybe the third or fourth round. The hammer was not set even though a round was in the chamber. I summized that the sear was not holding the hammer cocked. I am going to change the sear back to the OEM and see if the problem goes away.

Anyone with this problem?
From the rimfire central community, ensure your sear spring is installed correctly and is not reversed.

<http://www.rimfirecentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=355003&highlight=VQ+sear+hammer+m alfunction>

<http://www.rimfirecentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=355003&highlight=VQ+sear+hammer+m alfunction>
Old 03-05-2012, 5:54 PM

Im getting dizzy! Can someone summarize the parts list needed for a new MkIII?
Old 03-05-2012, 6:51 PM

Default MK III

I wish it was as easy as just a quick double tap. It has happened several times. And more frequently is the pistol not holding the hammer back after cycling.

The spring on a MK III 22/45 can not be put in backwards. It only goes in one way. I put the old sear back in so I will take it to the range this weekend.

I saw a post about some asking what items need to be done. The items I purchased were:
Trigger including the spring and detent
Titanium disconnect (optional)
Sear
Hammer
MK II hammer bushing (I had the MK III so I removed the Mag Disconnect which means I needed to replace the hammer bushing).

I also removed the mag release detint. This allows for the slingshot to work.

I hope this helps.
Old 03-05-2012, 6:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CharlesV View Post
Im getting dizzy! Can someone summarize the parts list needed for a new MkIII?
Go to RFC. All your questions will be answered there. I'm just building mine as a fun, accurate plinker so my parts list is fairly short:
1) Ultimate Clip Loader
2) 3 or 4 extra mags
3) mag disconnect
4) slingshot mod
5) HiViz fiber optic front sight
6) Volq sear
Still working on the extra mags and sear at the moment

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 03-05-2012, 11:02 PM

Thanks for the list. Lets focus on this thread to cover the VQ mod and bushing.

I have a new MKIII and would like to get this all correct first time.

I watched two YT videos including the very confusing one by VQ which goes too fast. VQ, like others who have posted on other forums, notes problems after the mod because a part wasnt handled right. For those DIY, it seems the guns are performing poorly after the mods which requires repeated takedowns.

If i buy the parts, will a shop do all the mods? Is it illegal to kill the mag safety? If I have a MKIII, do i buy the VQ kit for the MKII? AND therefore skip the sams bushing? This is why i got confused.
Old 03-06-2012, 6:40 AM

There's some confusion here over Sam's bushing. Sam makes a great part; but it is intended only for use in a MKIII hammer. If using a MKII hammer, then use a MKII bushing from either, VQ, Clark, or Ruger.

"Necessity is the plea for every infringement of human freedom. It is the argument of tyrants; it is the creed of slaves."
William Pitt (1759-1806)
Old 03-06-2012, 8:22 AM

CharlesV,

You can purchase the accurizing kit which includes a new hammer, sear, sear spring, adjustable trigger, and extended bolt release. The trigger and sear are a must, not sure if the new hammer makes a huge difference or not. It's perfectly legal to remove the mag safety, you can do this by getting sam's bushing for your mark III, or you could purchase a mark II bushing. Here is a short list of what I did to mine.

Volquartsen accurizing kit
Volquartsen Mark II bushing
Hogue grips (the factory grips are just garbage!)
Red dot (I got a burris fastfire but there are cheaper ones that work great)
LCI filler (found on rimfire central)

Did I miss something? I'll try to get a video up on youtube when I get some time, seems there are a few people that could benefit from it. I'll promise to go slow and be precise!
Old 03-06-2012, 8:38 PM

I also change to the VQ titanium disconnector.
Old 03-07-2012, 7:59 AM

Alright guys, I tore down the ruger to make a video, got everything back together but now the bolt release doesn't work! Anyone have any help? I've done a search already and couldn't find anything, seems like everyone has the 22/45, which is different then the mark III.
Old 03-08-2012, 7:15 PM

Default reassembly

Try opening the mainspring latch like you would when you disassemble. Make sure the hammer is forward by pulling the trigger. Sometime you have to use a screwdriver to push it forward while pulling the trigger. Then tip the gun upside down and make sure the hammer strut (looks like a rod coming off the back of the hammer) goes into the cup on the mainspring housing. When you latch the mainspring housing, you will have tension in the last 1/4" before you flip the latch closed.

Hope this helps.
Old 03-15-2012, 4:06 PM

I just wanted to post up here to say that Chaozu is the SHIIIIT!

My Ruger Mark III hunter i attempted to install the aftermarket trigger, got in too deep and couldnt reassemble it.... brought it to 3 separate gun stores- one took the gun but lost the *critical part* sheer spring, and the other 2 shops wouldnt even touch it..... brought it to Chaozu's house, and NOT ONLY did he assemble it for me, in front of me, while i waited, but he also gave me an extra sheer spring that he had leftover from his gun so that he could use it to assemble my gun!!! he wouldnt take $ for his services, the guy wouldnt even let me buy him dinner - what a fella! all it cost me was my gas and time (1 hr each way) to get to his house. i only wish that his daughter (about 6 yrs old?) had been awake when he finally finished it, so that she could have seen me thank him, and that he was truly the hero of the day, and did another guy a great favor - just because. awesome. just awesome. i'm pretty heavy involved in motorcycles and i do a lot of 'charity' work like this for other riders, and its so great to see that karma come back around my way!

Chaozu, you rock!!!! thank you soooo much! imma go test fire the gun in a couple weeks, but i'm sure it'll go just fine. MAJOR props, Chaozu !!!!!!

Last edited by SpeedyCorky; 03-15-2012 at 4:12 PM..