Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > CALGUNS.NET > Announcements and Suggestions
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Announcements and Suggestions This is a place for suggestions, news and updates about the site.

Old 12-09-2017, 8:39 PM
WingDings HQ Contributor

A 'Like' button for posts.

V-neck tshirts.
Old 12-15-2017, 9:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caligula36 View Post
A 'Like' button for posts.

V-neck tshirts.
That or a clickable icon for thumbs up or down that show running tally on each post, reply or comment. It would be a great way to quickly leave praise or critique without having to type comments.

Sent from my phone using Tapatalk

Last edited by iambic; 12-15-2017 at 11:04 PM..
Old 01-02-2018, 8:20 PM

Firearms search by region. Perhaps I only want to search for firearms in my region, I don't want to see what is available 300 miles away. Maybe it could be by zip code or county.
Old 01-12-2018, 10:43 AM
WingDings HQ Contributor

Can we uncensor the word ****hole, as CNN is fine with saying it every 10 seconds?
Old 01-12-2018, 8:46 PM
Calguns Addict

Tacos
Old 01-20-2018, 9:17 PM

hehe
Old 02-02-2018, 5:01 AM
Veteran Member

It would be nice if Calguns start to moderate against racist post, and maybe revert to how it was few years back. I used to love coming here to chat about whatever was trending, but lately this place feels more like a KKK forum than a place for gun owners to meet.
Old 02-23-2018, 11:29 AM

Default marketplace

I would like to see the marketplace, broken down into smaller sub categories. Perhaps in the handgun market place there could be additional folders for off roster, and/or compact, sub compact etc. I being a person with specific tastes and preferences, find it annoying to thumb through all the different posts when I'm looking for specific types of hand guns firearms. I understand that could be quite a task given the limits of Bulletin, but user friendliness is paramount this day and age.
Old 02-23-2018, 11:30 AM

Default marketplace

Quote:
Originally Posted by longrifle1 View Post
Firearms search by region. Perhaps I only want to search for firearms in my region, I don't want to see what is available 300 miles away. Maybe it could be by zip code or county.
This definitely goes along with my last post
Old 02-23-2018, 1:42 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Thumbs down

Quote:
Originally Posted by longrifle1 View Post
Or maybe even by your neighborhood street names?

Quote:
Originally Posted by kapache View Post
It would be nice if Calguns start to moderate against racist post, and maybe revert to how it was few years back. I used to love coming here to chat about whatever was trending, but lately this place feels more like a KKK forum than a place for gun owners to meet.
Can you cite a thread or post which you'd define "more like a KKK forum..."?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ccwmatt View Post
I would like to see the marketplace, broken down into smaller sub categories. Perhaps in the handgun market place there could be additional folders for off roster, and/or compact, sub compact etc. I being a person with specific tastes and preferences, find it annoying to thumb through all the different posts when I'm looking for specific types of hand guns firearms. I understand that could be quite a task given the limits of Bulletin, but user friendliness is paramount this day and age.
You could combine that with neighborhood street names and give everybody else a market place with thousands of sub-forums. Apparently, some users need more "friendliness" than others, given they're persons with specific tastes and preferences...not to mention that all of us have different tastes and preferences.

Life's journey is not to arrive safely in a well preserved body, but rather to slide in sideways, totally worn out, shouting "holy schit...what a ride"!!

Heaven goes by favor. If it went by merit, you would stay out and your dog would go in. Mark Twain

A man's soul can be judged by the way he treats his dog. Charles Doran

Last edited by -hanko; 02-24-2018 at 4:09 PM..
Old 02-23-2018, 3:54 PM
WingDings HQ Contributor

V-neck tshirts.

I have a neck like a ice cream carton. Crew neck shirts dont look right on me.
Old 02-24-2018, 4:11 PM
Veteran Member

Auto resizing images to fit the page.
Old 02-27-2018, 1:16 AM

I stopped coming here for the most part because of the toxic hostility that members like Caligula manage to repeatedly get away with. This place has gotten to be and remains really toxic for outsiders and newcomers.
Old 02-27-2018, 4:16 AM
RSG Minion, Senior
CGN Contributor - Lifetime

Quote:
Originally Posted by D.M.C. View Post
I stopped coming here for the most part because of the toxic hostility that members like Caligula manage to repeatedly get away with. This place has gotten to be and remains really toxic for outsiders and newcomers.
It has been a lot better in the last year or so.
I suggest you try again for a while.
Use the red triangle as needed.

The old adage remains true to a certain extent:
don’t dish it out if you can’t take it.

Avoid OT and politics for a while.

Edit:
Member Caligula has not posted in almost 3 years.
I assume you are calling out member CALI-gula.

Last edited by Garv; 02-27-2018 at 4:26 AM..
Old 03-03-2018, 3:06 PM

Default Separate Shotguns from the rest of Long guns in Marketplace

Please add a new category to Marketplace: "Shotguns"
Old 03-03-2018, 7:42 PM
WingDings HQ Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Garv View Post
It has been a lot better in the last year or so.
I suggest you try again for a while.
Use the red triangle as needed.

The old adage remains true to a certain extent:
don’t dish it out if you can’t take it.

Avoid OT and politics for a while.

Edit:
Not me I hope?!? Id like to know what I said if he is referring to me.

Last edited by Caligula36; 03-08-2018 at 9:18 AM..
Old 03-04-2018, 5:56 PM
NRA Member, CRPA Member,
CGN Contributor

Character limits on the Location field in your profile.

I know people like being cute, but it breaks tables all over the forum and it looks ridiculous.
Old 03-05-2018, 6:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Garv View Post
Edit:
You are right, my mistake in typing rapidly. CALI-Gula was whom I was referring to.
Old 03-05-2018, 6:18 AM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor

a Like button would be good.

also, not removing quoted text from replies would be helpful to understand what people are replying to...
Old 03-08-2018, 8:15 AM
Garv Overlord
CGN Contributor

Location: 805, Caught Between My Woman And My Pistol And My Chips

Kes! Fix the top banner!

Please.
Old 03-08-2018, 10:01 AM
WingDings HQ Contributor

Old 03-28-2018, 5:35 AM

I would like to see a search box in each individual category. Such as, once your in the handgun market place, your given the option of a search box, to narrow down the type of pistol your looking for in that market ONLY. I know that would be very helpful to us Calgun users. Thank you..
Old 03-28-2018, 2:46 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freedom951USA View Post
I would like to see a search box in each individual category. Such as, once your in the handgun market place, your given the option of a search box, to narrow down the type of pistol your looking for in that market ONLY. I know that would be very helpful to us Calgun users. Thank you..
You can already select individual forums to search...check out search settings and go from there.

Life's journey is not to arrive safely in a well preserved body, but rather to slide in sideways, totally worn out, shouting "holy schit...what a ride"!!

Heaven goes by favor. If it went by merit, you would stay out and your dog would go in. Mark Twain

A man's soul can be judged by the way he treats his dog. Charles Doran
Old 04-25-2018, 6:06 PM

Can we compile a list of anti 2A businesses to avoid and make it a sticky? Wait, that list may be too long. . . A list of pro 2A business as a sticky? Or both

There are the vendors on here which I click through the links on this site to get to (obviously pro 2A). But companies with products in other industries that may not be as obvious.

For example, now YETI is a company who I choose to no longer purchase products from. That would be on a 'no buy/no business' list on a sticky. Along with BofA for their recent business decisions, also under 'no buy/no business' list.

Also have a link or citation about each business showing their anti american business decision. The aforementioned YETI could be followed by a link to the NRA site that clearly states they have cut ties with the NRA.

I think this would put our collective power as consumers to use. We could have our voices heard, and our money heard louder.
Old 05-29-2018, 4:46 AM
Veteran Member

Not sure where this goes, but the Deal section keeps giving an error 500 internal server error. It takes you to this Parallels H-Sphere page, it's been doing this a couple days now.
Old 06-22-2018, 5:48 PM
Calguns Addict

I suppose this has probably been asked before, but...

Is there a way to create a separate Off-Topic sub-forum? What do I mean?

I didn't spend any time in OT as a non-member since I couldn't access it. I didn't spend virtually any time until the last month or two. From what I've seen, it's almost a substitute for Facebook and/or Twitter where multiple threads on 'sandwiches' flourish. You get threads related to recent books read, swimming pool resurfacing, advice regarding various vacation destinations, 'manscaping,' Rex Reed, topless bars, Val Kilmer and Tom Cruise, and the 2016-2017 Lakers.

While that's all well and good, it's hardly "2nd Amendment" or firearm related. Which, I suppose, is why it's in OT. However...

A whole series of threads, which are "firearm" or "2nd Amendment" related, but don't quite "fit" in other sub-categories, by whatever criterion/criteria, get moved to OT and very quickly buried and, almost as quickly at times, lost from view. I've had it happen a couple of times. I saw one the other day where the OP tried to make an argument, without challenging the moderators' unquestioned authority, and was summarily told "No."

Since this is a site dedicated to the 2nd Amendment and Firearms in general, shouldn't there be a better sub-forum to move such threads to than into one which is totally unrelated to such topics? Not everything fits 'neatly' or 'precisely' in the plethora of sub-forums we have. But, if it is related to the primary purpose of the site, 2nd Amendment/Firearms, I should think it is frustrating to see one's thread, for lack of a better description, "thrown into the trash" of unrelated material or, maybe worse, being forced to start a thread amidst such unrelated topics since it can't be 'squeezed,' however, tangentially, into a different sub-forum.

Maybe an Off-Topic forum for 2nd Amendment/Firearms and then a generalized OT for everything else?

Just a thought.

Last edited by TrappedinCalifornia; 06-22-2018 at 5:52 PM..
Old 06-24-2018, 3:27 PM
Reptile&Samurai Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrappedinCalifornia View Post

Maybe an Off-Topic forum for 2nd Amendment/Firearms and then a generalized OT for everything else?

Just a thought.
It sounds like you are describing "General Gun Discussions" ?
Old 06-24-2018, 4:01 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by rkt88edmo View Post
It sounds like you are describing "General Gun Discussions" ?
I figured someone would think that, but if you watch 'carefully,' General Gun Discussions also has criteria the moderators use in determining what is 'acceptable' and I'm not talking about threads related to Nigerian e-mail writers.

Yes. General Gun Discussions has looser standards than, say, National 2nd Amendment or California Handguns. But, it still doesn't capture all (or, maybe, even most) of the threads that don't fit the other sub-forums. If you don't believe that, then maybe a moderator can answer why OT is the default forum for 90% or more of what is moved from other sub-forums.

I know it's tough without examples, but I don't want to highlight anyone's threads. Let's just say that "Firearms related discussions" doesn't seem to be as 'broad' a category as many seem to believe.

It's not about whether I agree or disagree with the decisions of the moderators when they "Move" topics felt to not fit within a given sub-forum.

What I'm suggesting is that some of the topics which get thrown into OT or that members feel forced to create in OT are decidedly more firearms related than a dozen threads on sandwiches, pool resurfacing, feminist bookstores, restaurant/travel suggestions, various movie reviews, et al. Yet, they are more 'generalized,' in some respects, than what's primarily posted in GGD.

The problem is, those threads are so quickly buried among the non-firearms related discourse that they are often "lost" before they get a chance to attract viewers/contributions. Worse. When a thread is marked as "Moved" to OT, it appears as though many members refuse to 'touch' that thread, as if it was deemed 'unacceptable.' (It's something I've watched happen numerous times.) I'm not sure that's, exactly, what the moderators intended; but, the impact is the same.

I'll go this far with a specific example... A regular contributor hadn't started their own thread in over two years. It's not that they aren't active and contributing all the time. (They're readily recognizable, but I won't cite them specifically.) The thread was moved from the category it was posted in to OT and, compared to the threads in the original category, quickly disappeared; being pushed out by more pressing, non-firearms related 'issues.'

Did I feel it should have stayed in the original sub-forum? While there are 'similar' threads still active in there, the new thread was a bit more 'vague;' i.e., it had a specific incident, but was more generalized in its intended discussion. So, a 'Move' was probably warranted. However...

It was firearms related, in a general sense, just not 'gun specific.' So, I concur that it didn't really belong in GGD. However, it was decidedly more "2nd Amendment" related, even if fairly loosely, than 98% of what is being posted in OT. Yet, the moderators appear not to have had a 'better' place to move it to.

That's why I'm suggesting an "OT - Firearms Related." Something more generalized to 2nd Amendment/Firearms than GGD; but, decidedly more related to 2nd Amendment/Firearms than what OT has become.

Last edited by TrappedinCalifornia; 06-24-2018 at 4:05 PM..
Old 06-25-2018, 7:26 AM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by DoctorWhy View Post
Please add a new category to Marketplace: "Shotguns"
I second the motion!
Old 06-25-2018, 10:45 AM

Quote:
I'll go this far with a specific example... A regular contributor hadn't started their own thread in over two years. It's not that they aren't active and contributing all the time. (They're readily recognizable, but I won't cite them specifically.) The thread was moved from the category it was posted in to OT and, compared to the threads in the original category, quickly disappeared; being pushed out by more pressing, non-firearms related 'issues.'

Did I feel it should have stayed in the original sub-forum? While there are 'similar' threads still active in there, the new thread was a bit more 'vague;' i.e., it had a specific incident, but was more generalized in its intended discussion. So, a 'Move' was probably warranted. However...

It was firearms related, in a general sense, just not 'gun specific.' So, I concur that it didn't really belong in GGD. However, it was decidedly more "2nd Amendment" related, even if fairly loosely, than 98% of what is being posted in OT. Yet, the moderators appear not to have had a 'better' place to move it to.

That's why I'm suggesting an "OT - Firearms Related." Something more generalized to 2nd Amendment/Firearms than GGD; but, decidedly more related to 2nd Amendment/Firearms than what OT has become.
Feel free to PM me links to said threads.
Old 06-25-2018, 11:17 AM
Garv Overlord
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Feel free to PM me links to said threads.
Because the 400 threads he's started since joining isn't enough...need just one more sub to post some more threads!

Old 06-25-2018, 11:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by readysetgo View Post
Because the 400 threads he's started since joining isn't enough...need just one more sub to post some more threads!

Maybe his own special sub?
Old 06-25-2018, 11:23 AM
Garv Overlord
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Yes! We can name it "Wall-O-Text Sub" or "Like To Listen To Myself Talk Sub"
Old 06-25-2018, 11:50 AM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by readysetgo
Yes! We can name it "Wall-O-Text Sub" or "Like To Listen To Myself Talk Sub"
Well... How about one where members all communicate in 142 characters, sometimes with multi-part posts due to the 142 character limit. There members can flame those they disagree with or don't like with impunity and spend their time talking about anything/everything that comes to mind.

Oh, yeah. One already exists. It's called Twitter.

On a site like this, which is ostensibly dedicated to Firearms and the 2nd Amendment, one should separate Firearms/2nd Amendment related discourse from 'everything else,' not 'mix' the two in an ever-increasing deluge of unrelated items. That would seem to be the point of having the site to begin with. Otherwise, how are we meaningfully different than Facebook or Twitter?

Of course, if actually reading posts longer than 142 characters is a problem, there's always the option of limiting the post sizes similarly. Without doing that simple thing, then the site creates the impression that they welcome and encourage slightly longer posts; despite some members apparently having issues with it.

You know, kinda like a "Open Letter" thread where 'discourse' is not encouraged and members are mocked for their contributions. The simple solution to that is to ban the member for making posts that are 'too long.' Or... Even simpler, those who don't enjoy said contributions can simply ignore those contributions and focus on those contributors they seem to prefer.

Kinda like having an OT for firearms related posts and an OT for everything else rather than mixing everything together and feeling 'forced' to sift through that which you don't come to a Firearms/2nd Amendment site to read about.
Old 06-25-2018, 11:56 AM
Garv Overlord
CGN Contributor

Nice try snowflake. Still 'General Gun Discussion'

Are your numerous TLDR posts being moved/deleted?
Old 06-25-2018, 11:58 AM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Nice try snowflake. Still 'General Gun Discussion'

Are your numerous TLDR posts being moved/deleted?
Nope. I'm not talking about mine. Something I thought I made fairly clear. If course, if it was TLDR to you, I can see how you'd miss that.
Old 06-25-2018, 12:02 PM

take it to PM
Old 06-25-2018, 12:02 PM
Garv Overlord
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Nope. I'm not talking about mine. Something I thought I made fairly clear. If course, if it was TLDR to you, I can see how you'd miss that.

Quote:
take it to PM
Old 07-02-2018, 5:50 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Long time member, not a lot of posts. It strikes me the number of "Commercial Sales" posts simply overwhelm the non for sale posts when one uses the New Posts tool. Consider parsing "Commercial Sales" from the search (as new posts are at the top of that subforum anyway and it can be searched on its own)- leaving New Posts to be more engaged/give and take topics. Thanks for the hard work.
Old 07-02-2018, 6:32 PM
Garv Overlord
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by NorCalBusa View Post
Long time member, not a lot of posts. It strikes me the number of "Commercial Sales" posts simply overwhelm the non for sale posts when one uses the New Posts tool. Consider parsing "Commercial Sales" from the search (as new posts are at the top of that subforum anyway and it can be searched on its own)- leaving New Posts to be more engaged/give and take topics. Thanks for the hard work.
I realize this isn't EXACTLY what you're asking for but check it out...
Quote:
Here is a string with all the marketplace sub-forums excluded, including reloading, collector exchange and training classes:

http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/search.php?do=getnew&exclude=159,91,105,217,336,92 ,332,93,169,107,106,237,323,321,211

Copy that and save it as a bookmark.