Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > GENERAL DISCUSSION > General gun discussions
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

General gun discussions This is a place to lounge and discuss firearm related topics with other forum members.

Old 07-19-2017, 10:45 AM
Veteran Member

So sorry, brother.
4" Smith & Wesson Model 19
3.5" Smith & Wesson Model 29
Marlin 1894C
Colt Python
Colt Series 70
Old 07-19-2017, 11:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by omega View Post
another bad thing about unsecured firearms, the thief could be waiting inside and shoot you with your own gun.
Exactly the point missed by many - especially the "I don't need a safe; my guns are hidden" crowd.
Old 07-19-2017, 8:12 PM

Thank you to those who have been supportive, truly appreciate it. The past couple of days have been a whirlwind of emotions, and I am definitely taking this as a very important, and harsh, lesson to learn.

I have always been the type to be obsessive about topics that interest me (which are sometimes too specific), and frankly home security was not one of them (EXTREMELY naive coming from a 1st time home owner). Alas, ignorance is NOT innocence.

Although the thieves are no doubt the guilty party, I would be remiss if I didn't take responsibility for my lack of preparedness and sheer naiveness.

I have already begun the recommended steps to protect my home, much of which came from the responses to this thread. Hopefully, they will be enough to keep something like this from ever happening again. Once bitten, twice shy.
Old 07-19-2017, 10:01 PM

If you have Comcast they will monitor your house for $10 a month. Door/Window/movement/Smoke detectors and a central monitoring station.

You get a text if someone is breaking in. If you haven't switched it off after 30 seconds they call you, It all plays out over text messages and calls to your phone and the twice i set it off by accident I had them calling me asking whether the police should be called within 60 seconds...way more time than it takes to break my safe..

You can set a secondary source to be notified of a break-in and get the messages also to a friend...I have a friend in the FD of my local town so anything happening to my house and he gets the same alerts as me...

Well worth the money
Old 07-19-2017, 10:13 PM

I don't think prints matter in this case unless there was a serious crime committed like a murder. They can't dust for prints on every home burglary cause that would costs a ton to process that through forensics.
Let's hope they don't wise up and realize how valuable your ammo stockpile is and how easy it is to dump on the market. I suggest you adopt a pit bull from your local shelter since you current have ho home security.

Last edited by RiskyBusiness; 07-19-2017 at 10:19 PM..
Old 07-20-2017, 5:00 AM

This is an exact example of how California laws infringe on our second amendment rights.

Op, you just had all your guns stolen, there is always the possibility these thieves will come back but if you were to go purchase a gun from an FFL you would have to wait 10 days to pick up your fire arm.

We live in the year 2017. Why do we not have an electronic background check system? Shouldn't these stupid FSC cards we have be enough to show we are eligible to purchase a firearm? If not why not? Proof that these antigun politicians are treasonous and don't care one bit about the Constitution.
Old 07-20-2017, 11:01 AM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Angry Earl View Post
Also, wanted to note:

- Wifi/internet to the house mysteriously not working. Is there a way to see the log of which devices has had access to our Wifi?

- Should I be cautious of touching certain stuff they did? Is there a way to salvage their finger prints? I thought of this too late, when I picked up the key to the back house door.

- My house did not have an active alarm or cameras. Those were on the to-do list after the safe. We moved in exactly a year ago.

- Any advice on how to handle the home insurance?

Thanks.

Sorry for your loss. Read your insurance policy for exclusions and deductibles. Talk to your agent, not directly to the insurance company. Guns may be an excluded item or your deductible too high to cover the loss. Unfortunately property crimes are very low on the list of many police department priorities. Stolen guns may move it up a notch.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 07-20-2017, 11:52 AM

NRA has automatic insurance that will cover up to $2500. Give them a call and see how it works... sorry about your loss and I hope you get over the "violation" of your personal space and learn a tough lesson about the need for home security.
Old 07-21-2017, 12:36 AM

Someone was watching your home and your routine. How I don't know, but they knew where things were and executed VERY quickly. I would say watching/casing more likely than someone you have worked with - though that is a possibility as well. Depends on your side gate and where it could be seen from. I live on a hill and I noticed a truck watching our neighborhood higher up on the hill. Our neighborhood was struck a couple days later and I feel it was related. These days there are Google maps and drones that can surveil as well. Lock your **** down where it is hardened, starting with that safe! G/L with the aftermath, I'm betting the thoughts on what is being done with that firepower is bothering you the most...in all honesty, while it is horrible, these scum would have gotten their hands on guns one way or another, if it makes you feel any better. Just try to make it extremely difficult for this going forward. Cautionary tale for all to take away so thanks for sharing. Maybe your post can prevent multiple similar incidents and some good can come about. If you're a NRA member you get $2,500 you can claim for those firearms btw.

Last edited by GTOGreg; 07-21-2017 at 12:38 AM..
Old 07-21-2017, 9:07 AM
I need a LIFE!!

7 minutes in and out and used your spare key to get in. Went straight for the guns and probably grabbed the backpack to toss the pistol in on the way out. You know these people.

Sent from my LG-H910 using Tapatalk

The Constitution shall never be construed to authorize Congress to prevent the people of the United States, who are peaceable citizens, from keeping their own arms. -- Samuel Adams, Debates and Proceedings in the Convention of the Commonwealth of Massachusetts, 86-87 (Pearce and Hale, eds., Boston, 1850)
Old 07-21-2017, 9:11 AM
I need a LIFE!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by beanz2 View Post
You guys know how many keys from work, previous houses, padlocks you lost or no longer own, etc. accumulate in the junk drawer? I'm thinking of putting a bunch of those on a key ring and hide it by the back door just to frustrate a potential thief. Just imagine somebody having to go trying 40-50 keys just to see which one would fit. LOL

The real one would be with a trusted neighbor, of course.
It only takes a couple seconds and a swift kick to the doorknob to gain entry to most home.

Sent from my LG-H910 using Tapatalk

The Constitution shall never be construed to authorize Congress to prevent the people of the United States, who are peaceable citizens, from keeping their own arms. -- Samuel Adams, Debates and Proceedings in the Convention of the Commonwealth of Massachusetts, 86-87 (Pearce and Hale, eds., Boston, 1850)
Old 07-21-2017, 9:44 AM
Veteran Member

When guns are not locked up its pretty dam easy to find them. In a closet, under a bed...drawers. .. ect ect.

99% of homes are far from the Winchester mystery house.
Old 07-21-2017, 9:54 AM
Veteran Member

Bait safe. Get a cheap small safe. Make it a bit easy to find and bit easy to pry loose. Inside put a bank bag, bundles of play money and an exploding die pack. Hard to walk around with purple dye on your face and hands for a week.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 07-21-2017, 10:02 AM
Veteran Member

Circumvented all your security and looted the high-value portable goodies in 7 minutes flat.

To me that says either tbey are very very good or they knew exactly what they were there after and how to get in/out efficiently. Possibly someone you know/trust or someone who has been in the home before.

An alarm won't deter some burglars but a big dog frequently will.

Last edited by bruss01; 07-21-2017 at 10:06 AM..
Old 07-21-2017, 10:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrokerB View Post
When guns are not locked up its pretty dam easy to find them. In a closet, under a bed...drawers. .. ect ect.

99% of homes are far from the Winchester mystery house.
IMO, many gun owners are thinking, "For the cost of a safe, I can buy several guns & lots of ammo."
Yeah...that was my mindset 25 years ago...then I bought a safe & had it bolted. And I'm fortunate enough to have security fencing & gates as well as other security measures. A house in a typical neighborhood with access to doors & windows is a sitting duck.

Both of my neighbors on either side of me were burglarized. And a home invasion robbery two houses down from me. None had security beyond a locked front door (which is almost the same as NO security).

Last edited by Win231; 07-21-2017 at 10:45 AM..
Old 07-21-2017, 10:58 AM

Home owner's insurance should cover the guns up to $2,500 without an adder (ask me how I know ). What that does not cover you can piggy back NRA basic member insurance for guns (you are a member, right? ).