Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > FIREARMS DISCUSSIONS > California handguns
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

California handguns Discuss your favorite California handgun technical and related questions here.

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 11-01-2009, 9:23 PM
Ball Pimp 4 Border Collie
CGN Contributor

Talking how to make a glock better...maybe

I have been out to SSA for six meets and wanted to trick out my glock 17 a bit. I had a pistol shooting mentor, Aaron - RIP buddy...who set up his glock in the exact manner. His times were 1/2 of mine. I am not saying I will catch him, but we talked at length about each mod and how it would help in shooting the glock at the SSA meets.

I installed a Burris Fast Fire on my Glock 17. The Glock is also fitted with a Glockworx drop in trigger (2.2 pounds - way short pretravel, and a much crisper break), and wrap around slip on Hogue grips which provide a more solid feel to the grip and absorb recoil IMHO.

The trigger is really a huge improvement to the factory trigger, and its also reliable. No malfunctions in over 1000 rounds to date.

The Burris allows me to do something I canít usually doÖsee the target clearly. With iron sights you must focus on the front site and all targets will be a bit blurry, and above age 50 without glasses, itís even worse.

With the Burris I can wear my distance glasses (I am near sighted just slightly), see the red dot crisp and clear, and also see the target 25 yards away perfectly. That does wonders for multiple target acquisition!!

I put the pistol in a pistol rest after initial sight in and was able to place 10 shots within a 1Ē circle repeatedly at 15 yards, at 25 yards it was more like 2 inches. But the real surprise was I could see the 1" bullseye perfectly in the distance.

The automatic brightness control seemed to work well, as in, I didnít think about it because it was doing its job.

Target acquisition was similar to iron sights for quick pick up, but the Burris is definitely faster for more detailed accurate shooting out at 15 to 25 yards.

I put 200 rounds down the barrel after sighting the gun in and the zero stayed dead on.

Iíve see enough pistol meets to appreciate how much faster red dot sights are than iron sights. I canít wait to see how this sight will affect my times at SSA.

I have to say I like the Burris Fast fire operation from what I have seen. I think itís a great way to tighten up your groups, especially for near sighted shooters. I think Glock shooters will like the glockworks trigger especially due to its short pre-travel. Its a chore to hold on target during the entire pre travel on a stock glock, if you don't beleive me mount a laser on the front and give the trigger a pull..you'll be humbled by what you see.

Last edited by bubbapug1; 11-08-2009 at 10:05 AM.. Reason: added a few pics