Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > FIREARMS DISCUSSIONS > Optics, Mounts, Rails and Sights
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Optics, Mounts, Rails and Sights If it aims your firearm, post about it here.

Old 10-10-2014, 8:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunborder View Post
Well, if it works for you, it works. It doesn't make any sense to me why a larger dot would make distance shooting easier, but as they say:

"If it's stupid and it works, it isn't stupid."
It's only a 1 MOA difference between the center dot of the eotech and the aimpoint. When you dial the brightness down it even seems to make the 2 MOA dot smaller. The 65 MOA ring just seems to clutter the sight picture up for me and my eyes arnt what they used to be.
The laws that forbid the carrying of arms are laws of such a nature. They disarm only those who are neither inclined nor determined to commit crimes.... Such laws make things worse for the assaulted and better for the assailants; they serve rather to encourage than to prevent homicides, for an unarmed man may be attacked with greater confidence than an armed man." - Thomas Jefferson (quoting 18th century criminologist Cesare Beccaria)"
Old 10-10-2014, 11:58 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by livinlocal View Post
Oh and if you're going to be shooting 100+ yards; I highly recommend staying away from the eotech. I personally have never owned one, but all the reviews I've read say that the reticle is too big compaired to ai points 2moa red dot, and that it's a lot harder to see your target at 100+ yards. I havnt read one single review that puts eotech ahead of aimpoint.
Hogwash! I have both an Eotech and Aimpoint pro.

Eotech dot is 1 MOA, the PRO is a 2 MOA dot. Eotech dot is half the size of Aimpoint. I prefer the Eotech over Aimpoint, personally.
Old 10-11-2014, 10:16 AM

The one thing i really like about the PRO is the lens cap is transparent in the back, so you don't need to flip it up to use if you wish to
Old 10-12-2014, 5:23 PM
Calguns Addict

Hmm... when folks say the Eotech obscures their sight picture... I have to think they haven't really used an Eotech or used it very much anyhow. The circle is SO large and thin and far away from the center dot that I can't imagine what it would obscure that is anywhere near the center dot.

Not sure how big these things they're hitting are at 100 yards or so... but there is a CLEAR difference between the holographic 1moa center dot of an Eotech and the 2moa red dot on an aimpoint.

The Eotech is much better for shooting groups...

Of course, not sure why anyone would be shooting groups with a red dot. :P

Last edited by HK Dave; 10-12-2014 at 5:27 PM..
Old 10-12-2014, 5:57 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
I personally have never owned one, but all the reviews I've read say that the reticle is too big compaired to ai points 2moa red dot, and that it's a lot harder to see your target at 100+ yards. I havnt read one single review that puts eotech ahead of aimpoint.

These reviewers you're reading have been sniffing too much glue.
“Keep it up, America, keep telling your youth that mud and danger are fit only for intellectual pigs. Keep on saying that only the stupid are fit to sacrifice, that America must be defended by the low-brow and enjoyed by the high-brow. Keep vaunting head over heart, and soon the head will arrive at the complete folly of any kind of fight and meekly surrender the treasure to the first bandit with enough heart to demand it.” (Robert Leckie)
Old 10-12-2014, 7:20 PM

I've had my Pro for 3+ yrs. carbine class', Rain, mud, dropped a few times, still glows red when I turn it on.

NRA - Life member
SAF - Life member
GOA - Member
CalgunsFoundation - Supporter
Old 10-12-2014, 7:21 PM

Quote:
Hmm... when folks say the Eotech obscures their sight picture... I have to think they haven't really used an Eotech or used it very much anyhow. The circle is SO large and thin and far away from the center dot that I can't imagine what it would obscure that is anywhere near the center dot.

Not sure how big these things they're hitting are at 100 yards or so... but there is a CLEAR difference between the holographic 1moa center dot of an Eotech and the 2moa red dot on an aimpoint.

The Eotech is much better for shooting groups...

Of course, not sure why anyone would be shooting groups with a red dot. :P
I have a feeling that they are turning up the brightness too high, and the bloom is distracting them from the target. It isn't so much that it is "obscuring" the target, as it is that some people find it a distraction, and don't know how to express that exactly. There is no way that it is obscuring a target at 100+ yards. Anyone who thinks it is, is either shooting elephants or making s**t up with no understanding of MOA.

As for why you would shoot groups with a red dot, the only reason I can think of is to do load testing, zeroing the optic, testing a mount's ability to retain zero, or similar. For actual use, there is absolutely no point to using a red dot for that.
Old 10-13-2014, 9:34 AM
Cattle Thieves Pro Staff

Interesting read. Somebody recommended the pro for an AR pig gun so I'm checking it out.
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmonte35 View Post
Disagree. Been trying to teach lewdogg21 how to hunt. It's like trying to teach Steve Wonder how to see. Not sure we're ever going to get there.
Old 10-13-2014, 10:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 09cs View Post
Was looking around at aimpoints and came across the PRO. for $400 I really like that price point, especially for an Aimpoint! but is it as durable as the more "high end" aim points. I've seen the videos of them being shot with bird shot, dropped from helicopters etc... I know it doesn't have as good of battery life. I was looking at ACOGs/Browes but decided it would not be best for my situation (shooting 50-150/200 yards). Then started looking at EOtechs, I like the reticle of them instead of the single dot of the aimpoint, but you cannot beat that durability and battery life, so it is something I can live with I guess lol I

So any comments on the durability of the PRO?

My PRO has held up to the recoil and abuse from a Saiga 12 for about 2 years now. Still lights up just fine when I turn it on, and the slugs still hit whatever the little red dot is on.

Since this has sorta turned into an Eotech vs. Aimpoint PRO debate, I'll say this. I own both. The 65 MOA ring makes it really easy to pick up the reticle on the Eotechs. But a consistent cheek weld will make this a non issue with either. The battery life of Aimpoints is simply astounding. Bottom line, you'll be happy with either one.
Old 10-13-2014, 10:22 AM

This thread is full of fail.

Op: if you've used them both, then none of our opinions matter, because you seem to already know which one you like better, andthe question you asked was which one is more durable. That's the aimpoint, hands down. All this arguing about people's preferences about the reticles is nonsense.

/thread.
Old 10-14-2014, 9:33 AM

I've never had the experience of using an aimpoint, or similar product, just the EOTech ONE time
Old 10-29-2014, 3:30 PM

it'll do for what you use it for.
Old 10-30-2014, 9:28 AM
Vendor/Retailer

The Aimpoint PRO are great for the price and for most guys this is all they will every need.

Tuff
Great Batter Life
Great mount
Great price

I prefer the Aimpoint Mico H1.

We sale them and we offer CAL-GUNS price.
sales@cstactical.com
916-670-1103

http://www.cstactical.com/images/stories/About%*0Us%*0Logo.001.jpg
Old 10-30-2014, 9:32 AM
I need a LIFE!!

I have 2 and would be one for every rifle if I had the funds.

Awesome little affordable optic!

For the price you won't beat it IMO. If you wait around till the holidays usually midway and some other companies can get as low as $360 shipped with sales and coupon codes.

What's Your Caliber??

My Youtube channel
Old 10-30-2014, 9:34 AM
I need a LIFE!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by CSTactical View Post
The Aimpoint PRO are great for the price and for most guys this is all they will every need.

Tuff
Great Batter Life
Great mount
Great price

I prefer the Aimpoint Mico H1.

We sale them and we offer CAL-GUNS price.
Why don't you guys out out more videos??

I grew up watching your youtube videos on LR stuff. Bring back Mike we need more quality LR youtube content out there

What's Your Caliber??

My Youtube channel
Old 10-30-2014, 9:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CK_32 View Post
Why don't you guys out out more videos??

I grew up watching your youtube videos on LR stuff. Bring back Mike we need more quality LR youtube content out there

I'm trying to get Mike to get out and do make more now, he's been super tied up lately unfortunately.

Oh and we're looking for a new person to record and produce the videos.
Old 10-30-2014, 5:20 PM

Question about the Aimpoint Pro: when the battery finally does go out, does it go out all at once or does it simply get less bright on the various settings?
Old 01-12-2015, 9:26 AM
Veteran Member

Just when I was getting a bit butt hurt about buying the wrong optic.

I would retain at least one or two spare batteries for SHTF and long duration under cover work. I keep mine off because my stance and grip are so fast I have extra time to turn it on, but getting extra batteries is something on my to do list.

Last edited by R19; 01-12-2015 at 9:39 AM..
Old 01-12-2015, 4:27 PM

Only red dot I own is an Eotech, rest of AR's use irons, I have model w just the 1 MOA red dot, really love it. Super fast target acquisition and that 1 MOA dot gets you pretty precise out to 200-300 yards depending on your eye sight.

Only down side I see is battery life vs Aimpoint. As far as durability, I would fully understand how just by looking at an Eotech vs Aimpoint the Aimpoint just looks like can take a lot more abuse, but I am surprised how many Eotechs I see mounted on military rifles in various pics off internet, on TV news etc
Old 01-12-2015, 10:30 PM

Quote:
There is a eBay seller that sells aimpoint compm4's for $300-400 if you wanted the military optic.

http://www.ebay.com/usr/sheepdoggear...78.m1438.l2754
Is that legit aimpoints?

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk
Old 01-13-2015, 12:27 AM
Veteran Member

They are legit, beat-to-hell Comps that sell at prices close to or higher than a nice, shiney new Pro.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul053 View Post
Is that legit aimpoints?

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk
Old 01-13-2015, 4:20 AM
Banned

Default answer

If you're going to be shooting 100+ yards; I highly recommend staying away from the EOTECH. They are GTG, The Aimpoint PRO originally only sold to LE department at a lower cost compared with other Aimpoints.
Old 01-13-2015, 8:56 AM

Don't listen to any of these guys. None of them know what they are talking about. Go with the EoPoint.
Old 01-13-2015, 9:09 AM
Vendor/Retailer

Quote:
Originally Posted by bapake View Post
If you're going to be shooting 100+ yards; I highly recommend staying away from the EOTECH.
Huh?