Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > FIREARMS DISCUSSIONS > Centerfire Rifles - Semiautomatic or Gas Operated
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Centerfire Rifles - Semiautomatic or Gas Operated Centerfire rifles, carbines and other gas operated rifles.

Old 06-29-2018, 12:52 PM

Default BUSHMASTER ASSAULT RIFLE

I recently handled an old Bushmaster model Assault Rifle chambered in 556. I'm totally unfamiliar with this rifle, but it looks to be an AK47/M16 hybrid and at least 30 years old. It has a piston system. Black painted wood furniture. Weird thing is, the rifle will switch to the third position or rather the full auto position but I have no idea if it will, but I'm sure its just cosmetic. I'm guessing it was made before the XM15 series. Does anyone have any information about these? Dates of manufacturing? Why would it switch to full auto? Are they quality guns? Thanks!!

-sic vis pacem para bellum
-qui audet adipiscitur
Old 06-29-2018, 1:15 PM
Veteran Member

Sure it wasn't a Daewoo?
Old 06-29-2018, 1:17 PM
I got that PMA!
CGN Contributor

E4ED1812-B873-4C55-AF5C-3FC04D168DFF.jpg

Like this one? Almost looks like a Galil.

Last edited by toiletfighter; 06-29-2018 at 1:19 PM..
Old 06-29-2018, 1:24 PM

Ya, it was based on their "Arm Pistol". The semi autos (both rifle and pistol version) came with a full auto (m16) fire control group in them, minus the auto sear and third pin hole. Fun fact, the Bushmaster logo still has an Arm Pistol embossed on it.

bushmaster-arm-gun-logo~2.jpg

Last edited by superhondaz50; 06-29-2018 at 1:28 PM..
Old 06-29-2018, 2:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by toiletfighter View Post
Attachment 718889

Like this one? Almost looks like a Galil.
looks just like that and yes very much like a galil

-qui audet adipiscitur
Old 06-29-2018, 2:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by superhondaz50 View Post
Ya, it was based on their "Arm Pistol". The semi autos (both rifle and pistol version) came with a full auto (m16) fire control group in them, minus the auto sear and third pin hole. Fun fact, the Bushmaster logo still has an Arm Pistol embossed on it.

Attachment 718890
Thank you that clarifies a lot. I was pretty sure it was incapable of full auto fire. Does it have room for a sear pack? Can you tell me anything about the Arm Pistol or is that information readily available? Thank you again. EDIT: strangely enough the one I'm looking at has no logo it just says BUSHMASTER, ASSAULT RIFLE, PORTLAND MAINE, SERIAL #.

-qui audet adipiscitur

Last edited by mach; 06-29-2018 at 2:14 PM..
Old 06-29-2018, 2:22 PM

Ya, the pocket isn't machined for a sear. The gun did come as a FA option from the factory though. The bolt carrier assembly is very similar to an AR180, Bushmaster used a cut down m16 bolt and a standard m16 firing pin. The gas piston is proprietary, and so is the recoil spring, which sits around the gas piston and is held captive to the gas tube using a u shaped steel clip. Non of these old guns have logos, just the basic Bushmaster roll mark. The new guns (AR's) have logos of the old guns as pictured in my post above.

The arm pistol was originally made by Gwinn. It was made to stuff under ejection seats in fighter planes so if the pilot had to bail he had a shtf gun. I believe the first version was chambered in 221 fireball.

Last edited by superhondaz50; 06-29-2018 at 2:27 PM..
Old 06-29-2018, 4:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by superhondaz50 View Post
Ya, the pocket isn't machined for a sear. The gun did come as a FA option from the factory though. The bolt carrier assembly is very similar to an AR180, Bushmaster used a cut down m16 bolt and a standard m16 firing pin. The gas piston is proprietary, and so is the recoil spring, which sits around the gas piston and is held captive to the gas tube using a u shaped steel clip. Non of these old guns have logos, just the basic Bushmaster roll mark. The new guns (AR's) have logos of the old guns as pictured in my post above.

The arm pistol was originally made by Gwinn. It was made to stuff under ejection seats in fighter planes so if the pilot had to bail he had a shtf gun. I believe the first version was chambered in 221 fireball.
That’s very cool! Learn something new everyday! Thank you!

-qui audet adipiscitur
Old 07-17-2018, 11:43 AM

One other question. Would the ARM pistol the Bushmaster Assault Rifle take STANAG magazine or PMAGs? I've heard of a proprietary magazine. Thanks.

-qui audet adipiscitur
Old 07-17-2018, 8:56 PM

I used to have one of those.... kind of a pos in ways but was fun and simple,interesting gun....

'I have so many good karma points I am approaching Saint Hood'

"They tell you of a laundry detergent that takes out bloodstains- I'm thinking that if you have clothes covered in bloodstains-maybe laundry isn't your biggest problem"

[SIGPIC]http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/signaturepics/sigpic27069_2.gif[/SIGPIC]
Old 07-17-2018, 9:50 PM
retired Goon

Quote:
Originally Posted by mach View Post
One other question. Would the ARM pistol the Bushmaster Assault Rifle take STANAG magazine or PMAGs? I've heard of a proprietary magazine. Thanks.
The Bushmaster ARM pistol, I got to play with back in the 1990s, used STANAG magazines.

I think the original Colt IMP-221 prototypes and the first runs of the Gwinn Firearms Company Bushmaster Armpistol used a proprietary magazines.
Later runs of the Gwinn version and all of the Bushmaster made versions used STANAG magazines.

"If someone has a gun and is trying to kill you, it would be reasonable to shoot back with your own gun.” - Dalai Lama (Seattle Times, 05-15-2001).

Last edited by Quiet; 07-17-2018 at 9:55 PM..
Old 07-17-2018, 10:00 PM
Low-Functioning Genius
CGN Contributor

It was their first product. I remember handling a pre-ban one back in the day. Truly not fantastic and no military heritage. Kind of mostly based off the AR-18 but not really.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PMACA_MFG View Post
Not checkers, not chess, its Jenga.
"The California matrix of gun control laws is among the harshest in the nation and are filled with criminal law traps for people of common intelligence who desire to obey the law." - U.S. District Judge Roger T. Benitez

Old 07-18-2018, 2:15 AM
Veteran Member

I remember them from back in the day. I never thought much about them at the time because I was into more traditional type firearms like 1903 Springfields and Garands. I still think they are kind of weird, but I sure would like to find one (at the right price) for my pre-ban rifle collection.

Like so many things, those that are new to the hobby or ignorant of firearms development think that piston systems on an AR type rifle are a newer development, yet versions of the system has been around for many years. Bushmaster was doing a piston system on their rifles as far back as the early seventies and Daewoo started producing a hybrid piston rifle around 1984. The Daewoo is a very well thought out amalgam of an AR15 and a FAL combined with their own take of a piston operated bolt.

Last edited by highpower; 07-18-2018 at 2:18 AM..