Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > INTERESTS AND ACTIVITIES > Ammo and Reloading
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Ammo and Reloading Factory Ammunition, Reloading, Components, Load Data and more.

View Poll Results: Do You Want One More 2013 CGSSA VC Reloading Clinic
Yes, if you hold another reloading clinic in November/December 2013, I am in 10 47.62%
No, I think the holiday season will be too busy to hold another reloading clinic 0 0%
I would participate in a low cost brass prep clinic before the end of the year 2 9.52%
Alright, just settle down, have your next event in January 2014 9 42.86%
Voters: 21. You may not vote on this poll

Old 03-30-2014, 8:03 PM
CGSSA Coordinator
CGN Contributor

Hi Bubbala:

Sure, we would love to have you come out to help. Are you an instructor or do you want to help the instructors?

Old 03-30-2014, 9:19 PM

help instructors
Old 03-31-2014, 9:10 AM
CGSSA Coordinator
CGN Contributor

Hi Bubbala:

Added you to the list. I will be sending out location, times, etc. tonight to all students and instructor/assistants. Looking forward to it!

Old 03-31-2014, 3:00 PM
CGSSA Coordinator
CGN Contributor

Location, Times and details for this Sunday's Reloading Clinic have been sent out to all students, instructors and assistants. If you are signed up for the clinic and didn't receive the information, PM me asap and I will send it to you. If you have been on the fence about learning how to reload, we still have multiple slots open for students, join us!

Old 04-03-2014, 12:16 PM

Still have a slot open for the 6th?
Old 04-03-2014, 12:20 PM
CGSSA Coordinator
CGN Contributor

Yes, we do. Do you want to join the party? If so, post back your number one and two caliber choices and we will add you to the list.

Old 04-05-2014, 6:03 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

See you tomorrow
Originally Posted by ivanimal View Post
I love you! (some Homo)
Quote:
I am a Gay muslim sometimes.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kestryll View Post
OP you are an uninformed tool.
Go Broncos!
Go Kings Go!
Old 04-05-2014, 6:10 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

I never got the PM but, I don't know if I'll make it or not. I may be able to show up a little late and leave early. I won't know until morning.
Utah CCW Instructor

Offering low cost multi state CCW, private basic shooting and reloading classes for calgunners.

CCW SAFE MEMBERSHIPS HERE

KM6WLV
Old 04-05-2014, 8:46 PM
CGSSA Coordinator
CGN Contributor

Hi CSA:

Sorry, didn't know you were in for this one, I thought you had a previous engagement or was that for the June 1 clinic? Of course, we would love to have you but if it doesn't work out, we are covered with instructors.

Old 04-06-2014, 7:17 AM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

My match in in June. I might just show up for bacon hour and to say "hi" today.
Utah CCW Instructor

Offering low cost multi state CCW, private basic shooting and reloading classes for calgunners.

KM6WLV
Old 04-06-2014, 7:28 AM
Calguns Addict

You kids have fun today.
Quote:
Originally Posted by CSACANNONEER View Post
I've been know to cross dress and go the other way at certain events.
Old 04-06-2014, 9:43 AM
CGSSA Coordinator
CGN Contributor

They are, I just left, had to bail early for a family funeral. Good crowd, turnout today, hopefully we'll see you at the next one.

Old 04-06-2014, 5:03 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor - Lifetime
CGN Contributor - Lifetime

Today's clinic went really well. I would like to thank our host Blitzburgh for the use of his facility. I would also like to thank all the instructors, and helpers. These clinics wouldn't be possible without you guys donating your time and effort. Thanks again.
Old 04-06-2014, 5:13 PM
CGSSA Coordinator
CGN Contributor

Thanks for the update JJ805. I was bummed I couldn't stay and join in the fun. Looking forward to the June clinic!

Old 04-06-2014, 7:12 PM

Yes thank you to everyone today!!! As a second time student I had a great time and learned a lot today class!! I hope to make it to a another one again soon!! Thank you to everyone who gave up time and gas to teach us today.
Old 04-06-2014, 7:43 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Cappy,

Sorry I missed you. I must have arrived just after you left.
Utah CCW Instructor

KM6WLV
Old 04-06-2014, 7:53 PM
CGSSA Coordinator
CGN Contributor

Yeah, I had to leave right around 10:00 AM. But I will see you and will have to catch up at the Instructor Class, looking forward to that.

Old 04-10-2014, 3:50 PM
CGSSA Coordinator
CGN Contributor

A Big Thank You to Calgunner Liberty47 for this nice donation of brass for the reloading club!

Along those same lines, the VC Reloading Club has been growing and expanding so much that we have outgrown our one metal storage cabinet. If you have or know of anyone who has a metal cabinet, plastic cabinet, something about 6-7' tall, 3' wide and 2-3' deep who wants to get rid of it, we need it to store components. We will come pick up the cabinet if it is local and the cabinet is functional. A lock on the doors would be a bonus but not necessary.

Along those same lines, we are looking for die sets, specifically carbide pistol die sets in 9mm, .40 S&W, .45 ACP but we will take just about any caliber you have if you want to donate it to us, they are much appreciated and will be put to use. As far as rifle die sets, we need .223 sets and .308, .30-30, 7.62x39, .30-06, same thing here, those are what we need the most but we will take any rifle die sets you want to get rid of as long as they are functional.

We also need powder measures and hand priming tools too!

Thank you for your continued support of our club. We are trying to expand, we will hopefully be building another reloading table soon, we have four new/used presses that we have bought and people have donated so by the end of the year, we will hopefully have sixteen reloading stations available for our students.

PM Capybara, JJ805 or Stardunk if you would like to donate any of the gear listed here or powder, primers or bullets if you have odds and ends to get rid of.

Thanks!

Old 04-15-2014, 3:42 PM

Ouch. I'm up in Montana this week and I went to a local gun shop. Not kidding here, counted well over 100 pounds of various pistol powders on the shelf (W231, PP, Tightgroup, Unique, CFE Pistol...) all reasonably priced. Worst part, they don't ship!
Old 04-15-2014, 4:55 PM
CGSSA Coordinator
CGN Contributor

Wonder if that stash of pistol powder has been there for a while or if they received it recently? Nobody else seems to be getting much.

Last edited by Capybara; 04-28-2014 at 8:43 AM..
Old 04-15-2014, 5:43 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Capybara View Post
Wonder of that stash of pistol powder has been there for a while or if they received it recently? Nobody else seems to be getting much.
People don't hoard up there
Probably. They have the common decency to only buy what they need.
I love you! (some Homo)
Quote:
Quote:
Go Broncos!
Go Kings Go!
Old 04-20-2014, 3:29 PM
CGSSA Coordinator
CGN Contributor

What is that .GIF Bumslie? It's pretty funny. I love riding Segways, if they were a bit cheaper, I might own one. They were by far the best way ever to see Rome.

Old 04-20-2014, 3:35 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Quote:
What is that .GIF Bumslie? It's pretty funny. I love riding Segways, if they were a bit cheaper, I might own one. They were by far the best way ever to see Rome.
I randomly came across it. I had another one, but the powers that be deleted it

http://www.funnyjunk.com/funny_gifs/2925713/machine/
I love you! (some Homo)
Quote:
Quote:
Go Broncos!
Go Kings Go!
Old 04-21-2014, 5:13 PM

I have a bunch of live .30-06 cartridges containing copper jacketed steel bullets that I got from a show a while back.

How much work is it to replace the bullets with CA-friendly non-steel?

Is this something that could be done at a reloading club event?

TIA

Last edited by 92E2; 04-21-2014 at 5:16 PM..
Old 04-21-2014, 5:33 PM
CGSSA Coordinator
CGN Contributor

What kind of ammo is this? In theory, not difficult to pull the bullets and replace with SoCal range friendly bullets but you would need replacements of the same weight and style. Is it by any chance CMP HXP ammo? How many would you want to do?

Quote:
Originally Posted by 92E2 View Post
I have a bunch of live .30-06 cartridges containing copper jacketed steel bullets that I got from a show a while back.

How much work is it to replace the bullets with CA-friendly non-steel?

Is this something that could be done at a reloading club event?

TIA

Old 04-21-2014, 7:11 PM

Quote:
What kind of ammo is this? In theory, not difficult to pull the bullets and replace with SoCal range friendly bullets but you would need replacements of the same weight and style. Is it by any chance CMP HXP ammo? How many would you want to do?
I have a few hundred rounds. Need to get an exact count.

The boxes say:
30-06 FMJ Ball
U.S. Unfired Mil-Spec. Recovered Components
Non Corrosive, Boxer Primed
Made in the U.S.A.

Talon Manufacturing - Paw Paw, West Virginia

Last edited by 92E2; 04-21-2014 at 7:19 PM..
Old 04-21-2014, 7:46 PM
CGSSA Coordinator
CGN Contributor

Talon went under in 2007. In doing a bit of research on your ammo, reports vary widely about the quality of it. I found this on Gunhub:

"back in the late 90's and into the early 2000's Talon's 30-06 re-manufactured ammo had a real bad reputation..... I tried to shoot 60rnds of this ammo back in 2001... 'tried' is the operative word here..... about 10 misfires...(no bang after 2 attemtps) ammo smoked worse than a lit reefer... accuracy was horrendous.....several short strokes.. (it wasn't the rifle as it fed the under powered LC69 with no problems)

But I also find some reports that it could shoot decently. The problem is, you don't know what you have, it could be crap with bad primers and or contaminated powder or it could be okay. But you or we have no way of knowing that, do we? If it were me and it was quality ammo that is a known commodity like CMP HXP, I would have no problem just yanking the bullets and replacing them because I have shot hundreds of rounds of HXP with zero problems, inconsistencies or issues. If I owned your ammo though, since I don't even know what I have, I would put in new primers and powder. Have you shot this ammo? If so, how many rounds? Any hangfires, duds or squibs? You can visually inspect the brass but if it is true demilled ammo, it may have never been fired and the brass will be fine.

The other factor is time and budget. In our clinic, your donation will allow you to reload 20 rounds of .30-06. If you want to supply more than 20 bullets, powder or primers, we might be able to work something out. But we could not guarantee how much time you would have and how many rounds you would get through. We do have a hard out on our facility and you would still have to go through all of the safety lectures, step by step process of reloading, we aren't really setup to do bulk ammo re-building, we are set up to teach basic reloading to newbies.

Do you have any experience reloading? Do you own any reloading gear? Definitely would like to accommodate you but not sure if our clinic is the right place for you to rebuild hundreds of rounds of ammo. Let me discuss it off-line with some of our other instructors to see what they think.

Old 04-21-2014, 8:09 PM

I have shot at least 100 rounds of it though an M1-Garand. Did not have any problems with any of it (besides the bullets being Ferrous and the ranges frowning on it). All of it was purchased at the same time.

I currently do not have any reloading gear, but am considering buying some. I bought a complete Dillon XL-650 setup as a present for a friend and have an eye on one for myself.

I shoot .308, .30-06, 9mm, .38, .357 mag, .44 mag, 10mm and .40, so I have to take these calibers into consideration when buying reloading equipment. I am open to suggestions on equipment if there is something more appropriate than the XL-650.
Old 04-28-2014, 8:44 AM
CGSSA Coordinator
CGN Contributor

It was good speaking with you offline 92E2. Hope you can join us for our next clinic in June or the clinic in August.

Old 05-03-2014, 7:05 PM
CGSSA Coordinator
CGN Contributor

Bumping up the thread for the June 1st Reloading Clinic, our first clinic for the Summer of 2014! We have 6-8 spots left, sign up while they are available. This one is going to sell out for sure!

We would like to announce the next Ventura County Reloading Club Clinic!

Dates: Sunday, June 1, 2014
Location: The Super Secret VC Reloading Facility, Camarillo, CA 93010
Time: 9:00 AM to whenever we are finished (mid afternoon probably)

Purpose: For participants and members of the VC Reloading Club to learn how to reload in a hands-on, educational environment and to have some fun.

Donation to participate/cover reloading supplies: $70.00, this will include your membership in the VC Reloading Club. If you are already a paid in full member, donation will be $50.00. Membership will have its privileges including discounts on future clinics, reloading educational seminars, group reloading supply buys, etc. You must bring cash only to the reloading clinic, we are not setup to take donations by credit card or check. $20.00 Membership is for one year and will get you into any of the California Reloading Club Clinics Statewide for a $50.00 donation, you will be notified and will receive special discounts on the Extreme bullet buys, component buys, reloading gear discounts and more.

PM Capybara if you plan to attend, here is the information needed:

1. Your Calguns Name
2. Date of the clinic you want to sign up for?
3. Your #1 and #2 ammo choices
4. What is your reloading experience?

Class will commence at 9:00 am and Instructors should arrive at 8:00 am to set up. Your donation will include our famous Bacon Cheeseburger/Hot Dog lunch, reloading components for 40 rounds of .223, 20 rounds of bottle necked large caliber rifle (.308/.30-06) cartridges or 50 rounds of straight walled pistol cartridges. We are limited to the dies and components we have available, so "normal" calibers will be better to work with than 9x18 Mak or .338 Lapua, unless you want to bring your own dies, brass and projectiles.

Your donation DOES NOT include brass. Reloaders save their brass or scrounge their friend's brass so if you are going to become a reloader, it's time to begin saving your brass, you have months to do so. If you have dirty brass, bring it to the clinic and we will exchange it, free of charge, for de-primed, cleaned/tumbled brass. If, for some reason, you have no brass available, we will have de-primed, cleaned/tumbled brass for sale for a small donation as follows:

50 rounds of 9mm $3.00
50 rounds of .40 S&W $4.00
50 rounds of .45 ACP $7.00
50 rounds of .357 Mag $8.00
50 rounds of .38 Special $4.50
40 rounds of .223 $8.00
20 rounds of .308 $5.00
20 rounds of .30-06 $6.00

The address will be sent out to those who have committed to attend just prior to the event. There is only room for 12 students so sign up asap or wait until the next one. Once the first 12 students have signed up, we will also have a sub list in case people don't show up. If all 12 students do show up, as a sub, you are still welcome to observe and learn. The donation for a sub/observer will be a $10.00 to cover lunch.

ID will be required. Must be 18 years old or must be 21 to load Pistol ammo unless with a parent. Just to clarify, this rule, because of insurance requirements, means NO children may attend, NO pets may attend, NO concealed carry! NO observers, friends, acquaintances, hangers on, groupies, various misc. people who are not signed up. Every person attending must be on the sign up list and if not reloading, we will need a donation of $10.00 to cover lunch costs.

Sunday, June 1, 2014 Clinic

Students:
805Drum .223, 9mm - Facebook
Bosko .223, .40 S&W - PM
HoosierD 9mm, .223 - PM
Slickrick73 .223, .308 - PM
Penciljockey .223, .308 - PM
Francisco R. .223, .308 - E-mail
Jimbo1012 .38 SPL, .357 Mag - E-mail
Gil-805 .223, 9mm - Facebook
ScifiGunner .308, .223 - PM

Standy Subs/Observers:
B W E (Observer only) - Facebook

Instructors:
JJ805
Bumslie
Capybara
Stardunk
Bubbala
Tujungatoes

Thanks,

The Ventura County Reloading Club Team

Last edited by Capybara; 05-27-2014 at 6:14 AM..
Old 05-04-2014, 3:24 PM
CGSSA Coordinator
CGN Contributor

Slickrick73 and Penciljockey, you are both added to the student roster for the June 1st clinic.

Old 05-05-2014, 1:39 PM
CGSSA Coordinator
CGN Contributor

Francisco R. added to the student roster for the June 1st clinic.

Old 05-05-2014, 4:07 PM

I'll be there with the 3 scales i just fixed

https://www.facebook.com/pages/HL-Se...=photos_stream
Old 05-05-2014, 4:09 PM
CGSSA Coordinator
CGN Contributor

Thanks Bubbala! Was it difficult? How long did they take you?

Old 05-05-2014, 4:12 PM

20 min. had to remove most of the ballast. guess those pans are not original

https://www.facebook.com/pages/HL-Se...=photos_stream
Old 05-05-2014, 4:34 PM
CGSSA Coordinator
CGN Contributor

That's weird. Pretty sure we bought or had all three of those donated. Maybe they got mixed in the with the LA and OC gear?

Anyway, so glad you got them working correctly, thanks for taking them home.

Old 05-05-2014, 7:47 PM
CGSSA Coordinator
CGN Contributor

Jimbo W. added to the student roster for June 1

Old 05-05-2014, 7:49 PM
CGSSA Coordinator
CGN Contributor

We could use 2-3 assistant instructors for our June 1st Reloading Clinic. If you are an experienced reloader and would like to help us and our students, please PM me or post on this thread.

Old 05-05-2014, 8:40 PM
CGSSA Coordinator
CGN Contributor

Gil-805 and Scifigunner added to student roster for June 1st clinic. Only five spots left!

Old 05-07-2014, 6:54 AM
CGSSA Coordinator
CGN Contributor

Thanks to VC Reloading Club student Lobo Grande, the Ventura County Reloading Club has a new flyer! We will be distributing this to every gun store in Ventura County, some in Santa Barbara and some of in the San Fernando Valley. I am starting the list here so we know how many to have printed, please add, comment or help us strategize this list.

Ventura - Island View Enterprises, WD's Gun Exchange
Oxnard - Shooters Paradise, Turners Outdoorsman
Camarillo - Camarillo Shooters Supply
Simi Valley - Fort Courage Armory, Gretas Guns, Bullseye Sporting Arms, Covered 6, Smokin' Barrel
Newbury Park - EBR Works
Westlake Village - Salvo Industries
Woodland Hills - The Target Range
Santa Barbara - Far West Gun and Supply, MT Guns, Dodge City Shooters Supply
Ojai - Ojai Valley Surplus and Discount
Northridge - The Firing Line
Reseda - Turners Outdoorsman
Canoga Park - Hoag Gun Works

Please add to or subtract and let us know why.

Last edited by Capybara; 05-07-2014 at 8:28 AM..