Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > FIREARMS DISCUSSIONS > Shotgun discussions
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Shotgun discussions Trap, Hunting, Defense and more. A place for enthusiasts to discuss the shotgun.

Old 01-01-2013, 2:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by savannah View Post
So in January 2014 long guns will need to be registered. So are we going to have a year of panic buying of shotguns and rifles? Slowly but surely our right are being taken away. If we don't find a way to fight this, we will end up like Australia.

http://www.californiality.com/2012/0...-laws.html?m=1
Is the NRA going to challenge this BS law in federal court? CA lawmakers have no regard for our 2nd amendment rights and liberties and something needs to be done about it. I plan to be out of this joke of a state before next Jan anyways so I guess it doesnt matter. As for panic, I havent seen it with shotguns much. Still plenty to be had in stock form at the local stores I have been in. However, ARs are nowhere to be found and I just bought the last Remington 870 pistol grip at a local range out here in the OC. Seems the shorter barrel length pistol grip shotguns are getting harder to find.

Last edited by 211275; 01-01-2013 at 2:51 PM..
Old 01-01-2013, 3:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brien View Post
Why are people so concerned about having registered firearms? Unless you plan on using your firearm illegally you have nothing to worry about. The government is never going to come knocking on your door collecting guns. If anything having my guns registered is a pro in case of theft.
You think you are getting your guns back after a theft because they're registered? LOL!!! Keep your own list of #SNs, give it to the police if they're stolen. You still won't get them back if they're found. They go in the pile with the gun buy-backs.

The ONLY reason for registration is to have a nice list to collect them when they decide that the kind of gun you have is no longer suitable for you. As has pointed out earlier, that's being proposed in Illinois. Suppose 30 mags were serialized and registered. Given the upcoming push to ban them, don't you think they'll come and get them. It's not paranoia when bills like this are being proposed.

I especially don't like "if you're not doing anything wrong, why worry" responses. Would it appropriate for the cops to just drop by your house and do a safety check? No telling what's going at your house. Could be anything in there.
Old 01-02-2013, 8:57 AM

Quote:
Why are people so concerned about having registered firearms? Unless you plan on using your firearm illegally you have nothing to worry about. The government is never going to come knocking on your door collecting guns. If anything having my guns registered is a pro in case of theft.
You obviously have not kept up with what Ms. Feinstein wants to do!
Old 01-02-2013, 9:29 AM
Mostly Harmless
CGN Contributor - Lifetime

Quote:
Originally Posted by TempleKnight View Post
You think you are getting your guns back after a theft because they're registered? LOL!!! Keep your own list of #SNs, give it to the police if they're stolen. You still won't get them back if they're found. They go in the pile with the gun buy-backs.
Over the years a number of Calgunners have posted that they received calls form the PD informing them that their stolen guns were recovered and instructions for taking possession of them.
Getting called a DOJ shill has become a rite of passage around here. I've certainly been called that more than once - I've even seen Kes get called that. I haven't seen Red-O get called that yet, which is very suspicious to me, and means he's probably a DOJ shill.
Old 01-03-2013, 1:37 AM

Here’s a question, so as of 2014 new long guns must be registered. Does that also mean one gun per dros, and only one purchase every 30 days just like handguns? If so, that’s really gunna suck!!!!
Old 01-03-2013, 9:21 AM

Well, I guess I'll just have to save up for that over/under and Remington 700 that I wanted. I don't mind registering them, but I'd rather buy when demand isn't at panic levels.
Old 01-03-2013, 9:55 AM
Calguns Addict

The ONLY reason for registration is a future confiscation. It serves ZERO other purposes...
Old 01-03-2013, 10:58 AM
Calguns Addict

^^^ This

Do I think the government is going to confiscate my guns? Not really.
Am I smart enough to realize that the only reason to register your guns with the government is so that they have the option of knowing what type of guns you have? You betcha.

I'm deferring my handgun purchase(s) this year so I can buy more rifles and shotguns.
Old 01-03-2013, 11:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mitch View Post
Over the years a number of Calgunners have posted that they received calls form the PD informing them that their stolen guns were recovered and instructions for taking possession of them.
Dont clutter OMG threads with fact.
Old 01-03-2013, 1:24 PM

Long guns are not currently registered during the background process. However, the s/n is kept on the dealer's books. The DOJ or ATF have the ability to audit the books, but audit for compliance purposes, not for the purpose of pairing a specific long gun with a specific person.

That said, the DOJ or ATF can zero in on who a particular long gun if necessary. They do this by contacting the manufacturer, finding out who the lot was sold to, and then tracing the long gun down to the dealer level. From there, the dealer provides the record indicating who the long gun was sold to.

In 2014, the registration process for long guns will be exactly like the registration process for handguns. People purchasing long guns prior to 2014 are generally not required to register them. However, if you move into California on or after January 1, 2014, you will have to register everything. You will also be required to report intrafamilial transfers of long guns after January 1, 2014.

** This is based on my reading on AB809 and is not a legal opinion. Anyway, if you are relying on a random internet poster for 100% accurate and complete info, you aren't the brightest tool in the shed.
Old 01-04-2013, 1:15 AM

Default Only on guns purchased 1/1/14 and later

Quote:
Originally Posted by savannah View Post
Stolen from another Calguns thread:

Quote:
Cullerton hopes to ramrod the bill through and get it to Governor Quinn for signature by Friday. If he is successful at doing so, nearly every gun you currently own will be banned and will be subject to confiscation by the Illinois State Police . . .

“Based on what we know about Cullerton’s bill, firearms that would be banned include all semiautomatic rifles, pistols, and shotguns. Pump action shotguns would be banned as well

Good question!
Only on guns purchased after the end of 2013, according to Californiality.com. I would bet my incoming VEPR 12 that there will be 'concerned citizen' buying escalating to the end of 2013.
Old 01-04-2013, 5:42 AM

Just make sure you have a external harddrive {back up} if your computer "crashes" and you lose all that info you are storing.
Old 01-04-2013, 7:31 AM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Quote:
You forgot about CA's SKS debacle.

-hanko

Life's journey is not to arrive safely in a well preserved body, but rather to slide in sideways, totally worn out, shouting "holy schit...what a ride"!!

Heaven goes by favor. If it went by merit, you would stay out and your dog would go in. Mark Twain

A man's soul can be judged by the way he treats his dog. Charles Doran
Old 01-04-2013, 7:48 AM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by GordonLWilliams View Post
Just make sure you have a external harddrive {back up} if your computer "crashes" and you lose all that info you are storing.
People always forget this one, until it's too late.

I lost some really good pr0.... mmmmmmmMovies a long time ago, and have been doing regular backups since then...

Make sure backup drive it is unplugged, and maybe in an ammo can (if you are worried about EMPs of any sort)...
Old 01-04-2013, 8:10 AM
Calguns Addict

Can't you just email the numbers to yourself? That's how I back up anything under 10 mb
Old 01-04-2013, 8:43 AM

Flash drive or hard copies with printed pictures. Thats how I keep the info.
Old 01-04-2013, 12:15 PM

If you are looking for your first shotgun, Mossberg 500 combo at big 5. Here is mine with a grip from shockwavetechnologies.com 20130102_203503.jpg
Old 01-04-2013, 10:50 PM
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1911Operator View Post
every gun ive bought was registered. I dont get what your talking about.. do you mean there will be more forms to fill out?? can you elaborate on what your saying?
Huh?

Quote:
Originally Posted by blazeaglory View Post
oooh weee hot damn this is a dandy rifle mmhmm lets go get some fried taters
Old 01-05-2013, 8:33 PM

"Excuse me sir, we have information that you are in possession of an firearm that is now illegal to poses, we are here to collect it."

"Sorry, the upper receiver exploded due to poorly made ammunition and the gun was not salvageable so I had it turned in for scrap."

Just curious, that if this happened and you said that, what would happen?
Old 01-05-2013, 8:34 PM

"Excuse me sir, we have information that you are in possession of an firearm that is now illegal to posses, we are here to collect it."

"Sorry, the upper receiver exploded due to poorly made ammunition and the gun was not salvageable so I had it turned in for scrap."

Last edited by O'Brien; 01-05-2013 at 9:23 PM..
Old 01-05-2013, 8:52 PM

EDIT: moved to proper subforum.

Last edited by penguinofsleep; 01-05-2013 at 9:03 PM..
Old 01-05-2013, 9:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by land locked View Post
Flash drive or hard copies with printed pictures. Thats how I keep the info.
Dropbox or Box.net account. I have about 60 gigs of free cloud storage, but the cool thing about Dropbox is that the files sync to all authorized computers too, so they are available locally as well. Also use it to store my 1password database so it is available to all my machines, phones, tablets with no sync issues.
Old 01-06-2013, 12:42 PM

So, is this a proposed bill or an actually passed into law bill.

I refuse to get excited about proposed laws, other than to write and pester my legislator. It's just political fodder to argue about and get political publicity.

Proposing a bill does not make it law, and gun laws will always be opposed by the political right.

Actual bills passed into law are another story entirely.

And does anyone imagine that if you have a handgun on record, the gummint won't go looking for long-guns too? I would.
• Don't have children until you're married five years or at least age 30.
• Put 10% of your salary into savings every month no matter how broke you are.
• Don't ever screw around with the IRS.
• Keep a handgun on your bedside table.
• Don't smart-mouth judges, or cops who stop you on the road.
Old 01-06-2013, 1:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by O'Brien View Post
"Excuse me sir, we have information that you are in possession of an firearm that is now illegal to posses, we are here to collect it."

IIRC there's a paper for you to fill out for that scenario, it's called statement of disposal or something like that
Old 01-06-2013, 2:31 PM
Calguns Addict

Guys, I moved here from a first world country and I personally had to turn in one of my registered firearms. By stroke of a pen one of my revolvers became illegal to possess. Yes a revolver of all things!

Take it from my first hand experience, registration = confiscation.
Old 01-06-2013, 5:55 PM

Smitty, it would have been better to figure out if your revolver was legal in CA. Then you could have sold it before moving. That has nothing to do with registration.
• Don't have children until you're married five years or at least age 30.
• Put 10% of your salary into savings every month no matter how broke you are.
• Don't ever screw around with the IRS.
• Keep a handgun on your bedside table.
• Don't smart-mouth judges, or cops who stop you on the road.
Old 01-06-2013, 9:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BonnieB View Post
So, is this a proposed bill or an actually passed into law bill.

I refuse to get excited about proposed laws, other than to write and pester my legislator. It's just political fodder to argue about and get political publicity.

Proposing a bill does not make it law, and gun laws will always be opposed by the political right.

Actual bills passed into law are another story entirely.

And does anyone imagine that if you have a handgun on record, the gummint won't go looking for long-guns too? I would.
In my first post. http://www.californiality.com/2012/0...-laws.html?m=1

I don't expect everything handed to me. Just set it down anywhere. Unknown
Old 01-06-2013, 9:41 PM

California has already put the new paperwork process into effect, but very quietly. Here's what I went through when I sold my gun to a dealer. Walk in to do a good trade on a highly desirable rifle. Dealer says we have to do some paperwork now through a new dros system. On this paperwork it listed the buyer, seller, all personal info, mod, serial, make and thumb prints. It was not a standard 1173 form and this was never done before, i've bought/sold enough guns to know. Asked what all the new hoops in paperwork was for, newly implemented system says gun dealer...they are already preparing the dealers and tracking guns coming into them. This registration process is going to kill our privacy and severely impact our rights more than before...it's only the beginning just watch.
Old 01-06-2013, 9:46 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

hmmm, i sold a gun last week in sac and didn't have to do anything unusual.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2
Old 01-07-2013, 9:09 AM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by BonnieB View Post
Smitty, it would have been better to figure out if your revolver was legal in CA. Then you could have sold it before moving. That has nothing to do with registration.
Not so simple. I had import permit from ATF and export permit from RCMP and when it came down to actually leaving Canada with it they refused to let out of the country. The revolver was a regular S&W model 10 with 4" barrel but canada passed a law making the minim barrel length longer by another 1/8".

It doesn't get any more stupid believe me. That gun was a gift from my father for my 18th birthday which is why I wanted to import it here so I could pass it on to my son. I kept the cylinder but the rest is byebye!

If its important to you and you have an opportunity to legally own a gun without registering it believe me do it.
Old 01-07-2013, 9:35 AM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbj View Post
Dropbox or Box.net account. I have about 60 gigs of free cloud storage, but the cool thing about Dropbox is that the files sync to all authorized computers too, so they are available locally as well. Also use it to store my 1password database so it is available to all my machines, phones, tablets with no sync issues.
I don't trust anonymous "others" with MY data... Not google, not M$, and not an Internet storage account that can be hacked without my switch lighting up like a Christmas-tree if it is accessed. Maybe I'm a bit para-noid'ed.
<shivers..wince...shivers...>
Old 01-07-2013, 9:37 AM

I am really sorry you lost your family heirloom revolver. This really was California stupid at its finest.

This law will be in effect January of 2014, it is not a proposed law. The link in my first post tells you what the new law is and when it takes effect. I absolutely get riled up about proposed bills. If we don't, the legislature will do as they see fit. Letters are fine and I am sure they help, but if people don't fight back HARD against proposed bills, we get more stupid laws that restrict our rights. We really can't afford not to pay attention to any proposed laws.

I don't expect everything handed to me. Just set it down anywhere. Unknown
Old 01-07-2013, 11:48 AM
Calguns Addict

giving up that revolver wasn't as big a deal, the dissapointment was the lost effort it took to get the import and export permits...only to be jacked at the end.

Canada has had a long gun registry since the mid ninety's, billions of dollars later they learned the program didn't reduce crime. Early in 2012 they dismantled the program....now california is going to try to prove that wasting billions on the same program will somehow benefit society.
Old 01-07-2013, 12:08 PM
Calguns Addict

If it doesn't they'll lie and say it did anyway. :/
Old 01-07-2013, 12:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by osis32 View Post
I dunno if anyone else is dong it but Im picking up everything I can before 2014. I refuse to register anything.
What he said ^

I predict a huge surge in build parties as well.
Old 01-07-2013, 1:31 PM
Pew,pew.....PEW
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbj View Post
lol...the people that stored their stuff on MegaUpload thought it was cool too. Until the Govt seized the servers. No one, not even the legit businesses and users, got their data back.

There's a very long list of online storage companies that went belly up with no warning.

The title is....."United States Marine".

Old 01-07-2013, 1:51 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor - Lifetime
CGN Contributor - Lifetime

I sent a notarized request form to DOJ a couple of years ago to see exactly what was on file for me. They sent me accurate records for the handguns I purchased in CA but stated that long gun records were not retained.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LegalEagle View Post

That said, the DOJ or ATF can zero in on who a particular long gun if necessary. They do this by contacting the manufacturer, finding out who the lot was sold to, and then tracing the long gun down to the dealer level. From there, the dealer provides the record indicating who the long gun was sold to.
At least that approach wouldn't be useful for PPT or any used purchases.
Old 01-07-2013, 2:07 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by smittty View Post
Not so simple. I had import permit from ATF and export permit from RCMP and when it came down to actually leaving Canada with it they refused to let out of the country. The revolver was a regular S&W model 10 with 4" barrel but canada passed a law making the minim barrel length longer by another 1/8".

It doesn't get any more stupid believe me. That gun was a gift from my father for my 18th birthday which is why I wanted to import it here so I could pass it on to my son. I kept the cylinder but the rest is byebye!

If its important to you and you have an opportunity to legally own a gun without registering it believe me do it.
Really, I had no idea it was impossible to swap out a barrel on a revolver. Or thread the end and solder an extension onto it. My goodness the things I never imagined about gunsmithing. I've seen lots of things like that done before, or at least, so I thought until learning they're impossible... see, if you could have done that, then you could have kept it that way or swapped the barrel back after you arrived at your destination. But of course that would have been impossible. Ah, well. A tragic but necessary surrender of a treasured family heirloom, I suppose.
Old 01-12-2013, 10:17 AM
Banned

Location: Sage (eastern edge of Temecula Wine Country), Southwest Riverside County

Shotguns? What shotguns? I don't have any evil black child-killing shotguns with high capacity (more than 2 rounds) magazines.

I traded them all in at the last "buyback" for a gift certificate and a pair of shoes like the ones worn by my favorite ball-bouncing rapist.

Besides, as long as you don't break any laws you don't have anything to fear from the government. Especially our government - you can trust them. Elected officials and their armed and uniformed enforcement personal are here to protect us and keep us safe. Just ask any Native American.

Last edited by Marcus von W.; 01-12-2013 at 11:07 AM..