Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > POLITICS, LITIGATION AND ACTIVISM > National 2nd Amend. Political & Legal Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

National 2nd Amend. Political & Legal Discussion Discuss national gun rights and 2A related political topics here. All advice given is NOT legal counsel.

Old 05-29-2020, 11:30 AM

It seems there is still nothing. Either we're waiting until Monday to find out it's been re-listed, we're about to get a grant/mass denials

So nothing new, I'm not getting my hopes up. These past few weeks could easily have been used for writing dissent for mass denials. Very disappointed in Kavanaugh and Gorsuch through all of this. They're all talk and no action.
Old 05-29-2020, 11:37 AM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by flyer898 View Post
Here is a current analysis of the 2A cases pending cert. it is from the Duke Center for Firearms Law.
https://firearmslaw.duke.edu/2020/05...icle-problems/
A good read.
Thank you for the tip!
Old 05-29-2020, 11:50 AM
Calguns Addict

I wonder if any non-2nd A cases got relisted and their dockets' updated....

240+ examples of CCWs Saving Lives.

KnifeRights.org/images/KRbanner_468x60-1.gif
Old 05-29-2020, 11:52 AM

I checked a handful of other cases (certainly not all) and didn’t see any docket updates.
I’m guessing last weeks early docket updates were just a one time fluke.
Old 05-29-2020, 11:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thorium View Post
I checked a handful of other cases (certainly not all) and didn’t see any docket updates.
I’m guessing last weeks early docket updates were just a one time fluke.
Or they will be dismissed next week.
Old 05-29-2020, 11:59 AM

I'm hoping they see the games California is playing with the roster and smack this state down hard.
Old 05-29-2020, 12:14 PM
Calguns Addict

Stay safe from CV19 and the riots & looting!

See you all for Orders 6:30 am Monday (and maybe Opinions at 7:00 am).

Old 05-29-2020, 12:23 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paladin View Post
Stay safe from CV19 and the riots & looting!

See you all for Orders 6:30 am Monday (and maybe Opinions at 7:00 am).

I spoke too soon....

Quote:
I wonder if any non-2nd A cases got relisted and their dockets' updated....
After logging off, I went over to SCOTUSblog to see if they said anything re. the 10 2nd A cases, or other cases being relisted today. They didn't. BUT I found where they listed all the cases that got relisted last week. They were the 10 2nd A case plus 2 others. I just checked those other two cases (the first two in their list), and neither of them have been updated either (i.e., they don't say they'll be heard in another Conference). Hmm.

So, maybe last Friday's updating of the relisted cases was a mistake (done before it should have), or it was an exception and not a new practice?

Regardless, here's the link to SCOTUSblog's page with all of the relists from last week: https://www.scotusblog.com/2020/05/status-quo-watch-4/

Later.

Last edited by Paladin; 05-29-2020 at 12:26 PM..
Old 05-29-2020, 12:50 PM

Location: Currently in Virginia. Moving to San Diego summer 2020.

Folks, last Monday was a holiday, thus the relisting on Friday. Government employees had Monday off. I know because my wife is a government employee. I had to put up with her **** for 1 more day than usual.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk
Old 05-29-2020, 1:17 PM
Code Monkey
CGN Contributor - Lifetime

Quote:
Originally Posted by Transient View Post
Folks, last Monday was a holiday, thus the relisting on Friday.
^^^ the guy's got a point
Old 05-29-2020, 1:38 PM
Calguns Addict

BTW, one thing we've not mentioned? Or if it has been mentioned I missed it?

One reason why SCOTUS might grant to two similar cases and not combine them would be to lessen the probability of having a case mooted.

Take a case from California and New Jersey? New Jersey may figure there is no point in trying to moot their case since the California case will still be heard. California may figure there is no point in attempting to moot their case because the New Jersey case may still persists. Yes, they could try to coordinate things but it'd be complicated. . .

Take 3-4 cases and complicate things even further for the mooters. And if they all make an attempt to moot? You might find Roberts and Kavanaugh deciding the mooting has to be addressed/fixed.
Old 05-29-2020, 2:36 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Folks, last Monday was a holiday, thus the relisting on Friday. Government employees had Monday off. ...
They could have just done it on Tues, just like they do normally -- on the day they released Orders. (And they did release Orders Tues morning.)

IOW, yeah, maybe, but not necessarily.

JMO

Old 05-29-2020, 4:46 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by OleCuss View Post
BTW, one thing we've not mentioned? Or if it has been mentioned I missed it?

One reason why SCOTUS might grant to two similar cases and not combine them would be to lessen the probability of having a case mooted.

Take a case from California and New Jersey? New Jersey may figure there is no point in trying to moot their case since the California case will still be heard. California may figure there is no point in attempting to moot their case because the New Jersey case may still persists. Yes, they could try to coordinate things but it'd be complicated. . .

Take 3-4 cases and complicate things even further for the mooters. And if they all make an attempt to moot? You might find Roberts and Kavanaugh deciding the mooting has to be addressed/fixed.
I would bet $$ that persons from all these state governments that have cases sitting on the doorstep of SCOTUS are having serious meetings, at least via web, if not in person, this weekend. They have a lot to loose, and I'm sure many are looking for ways to change the game at the very last minute, to preserve the status quo. They were handed a roadmap on a gold platter, courtesy of the combined efforts of New York State and SCOTUS. They had better hurry before one more SCOTUS member leaves.
Old 05-29-2020, 5:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kuug View Post
It seems there is still nothing. Either we're waiting until Monday to find out it's been re-listed, we're about to get a grant/mass denials

So nothing new, I'm not getting my hopes up. These past few weeks could easily have been used for writing dissent for mass denials. Very disappointed in Kavanaugh and Gorsuch through all of this. They're all talk and no action.
Huh? Both Gorsuch and Kavanaugh are on record as wanting to take a case, and it only takes four to grant cert (Alito and Thomas are on board). So if they grant cert to none, it was done strategically, because they know Roberts is going to side with the liberals.

As disappointing as it would be, I'd prefer status quo over a 5-4 antigun precedent case.
Old 05-29-2020, 8:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by meanspartan View Post
Huh? Both Gorsuch and Kavanaugh are on record as wanting to take a case, and it only takes four to grant cert (Alito and Thomas are on board). So if they grant cert to none, it was done strategically, because they know Roberts is going to side with the liberals.

As disappointing as it would be, I'd prefer status quo over a 5-4 antigun precedent case.
Looks at Guedes v ATF. We got a denial along with Gorsuch's "concerns" even though he agreed with the denial of cert. We received the same treatment from Kavanaugh in NYSRPA. He agreed with rejecting the protection of second amendment and due process rights. The best we have from Kavanaugh is the same as Gorsuch, small talk of concerns without action. Now we have Roberts agreeing with the leftists on the court to keep churches shut down in violation of the first amendment. These people are pathetic. They swore to uphold the constitution and yet they refuse to hold antagonistic governments accountable. At some point we are going to have to forget about the Supreme Court if we want our country back.
Old 05-29-2020, 9:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kuug View Post
Looks at Guedes v ATF. We got a denial along with Gorsuch's "concerns" even though he agreed with the denial of cert. We received the same treatment from Kavanaugh in NYSRPA. He agreed with rejecting the protection of second amendment and due process rights. The best we have from Kavanaugh is the same as Gorsuch, small talk of concerns without action. Now we have Roberts agreeing with the leftists on the court to keep churches shut down in violation of the first amendment. These people are pathetic. They swore to uphold the constitution and yet they refuse to hold antagonistic governments accountable. At some point we are going to have to forget about the Supreme Court if we want our country back.
Come on. That's nonsense. NYSPRA was moot, and no way they had been getting a proper strong decision out of that one.

And keeping churches open in a pandemic (whether we disagree on its actual severity) is hogwash. They closed them during plaque since forever.
Old 05-29-2020, 10:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Offwidth View Post
Come on. That's nonsense. NYSPRA was moot, and no way they had been getting a proper strong decision out of that one.

And keeping churches open in a pandemic (whether we disagree on its actual severity) is hogwash. They closed them during plaque since forever.
The 1st Amendment clearly states that Congress shall pass no law prohibiting the exercise of religion. The real question is, do you, or don't you, consider a governor to be part of "Congress"?

Those who say yes use a broad brush and claim the governor is part of state government, just like the state legislature.

Those who say no will point out the governor falls under the state executive branch, not the legislative branch.

SCOTUS likes to paint with a broad brush.

Old 05-30-2020, 1:46 AM

Quote:
The 1st Amendment clearly states that Congress shall pass no law prohibiting the exercise of religion. The real question is, do you, or don't you, consider a governor to be part of "Congress"?

Those who say yes use a broad brush and claim the governor is part of state government, just like the state legislature.

Those who say no will point out the governor falls under the state executive branch, not the legislative branch.

SCOTUS likes to paint with a broad brush.
Police power is reserved to the states. And that's pretty much plenary powers. Lockdowns are an exercise of police power, in an evident emergency, so yes, I think they can close down churches under the circumstances. And they did. But we digress.

Point is, both Gorsuch and Kavanaugh did not do anything sinister at all.
Old 05-30-2020, 4:58 AM
Vinyl Decal maker
CGN Contributor

After Robert's falling on the CA Church order, I won't be surprised if these all get denied at this point.
Greater love hath no man than this, that a man lay down his life for his friends. John 15:13
Old 05-30-2020, 5:37 AM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by USMCmatt View Post
After Robert's falling on the CA Church order, I won't be surprised if these all get denied at this point.
I have the same gut feeling. Roberts is a traitor.
Old 05-30-2020, 5:39 AM
Vinyl Decal maker
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by 69ELKY View Post
I have the same gut feeling. Roberts is a traitor.
I hope we are both wrong. The first thing that came to mind when I heard that was these 10 cases.
Greater love hath no man than this, that a man lay down his life for his friends. John 15:13
Old 05-30-2020, 5:48 AM

This scares the crap out of me:

https://thehill.com/regulation/court...lenge-to-state

This does not bode well for 2A if they won't enforce 1A.
Old 05-30-2020, 6:22 AM

On May 25th Gov. Newscum changed his order to allow churches to open at %25 capacity.

It looks like that was enough for Roberts,

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chief Justice Roberts
State guidelines cur-rently limit attendance at places of worship to 25% of build-ing capacity or a maximum of 100 attendees.
In the decent from Collins in the 9th this change in the order had not been made.

Last edited by abinsinia; 05-30-2020 at 6:25 AM..
Old 05-30-2020, 12:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by abinsinia View Post
On May 25th Gov. Newscum changed his order to allow churches to open at %25 capacity.

It looks like that was enough for Roberts,

In the decent from Collins in the 9th this change in the order had not been made.
Yeah, he throws the State any lifeline he can, every time. Friggin weasel.
Old 05-30-2020, 12:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by USMCmatt View Post
After this morning's 1A related decision on church closings, where Roberts was the deciding vote, my hope now is this as well. All the pending 2A cases get denied.

Better no decisions in these critical gun cases than defeats. Roberts is now clearly nothing but a political animal.

Gun Owners of America, Life Member
2nd Amendment Foundation, Life Member
Arizona Citizens Defense League, Life Member
Lone Star Gun Rights, Member
President of Front Sight, Life Member
Admin. Glendora Concealed Carry
Old 05-30-2020, 1:21 PM
I need a LIFE!!

The 2A will never be embraced by the courts. The best we can expect are occasional victories with rulings that are so narrowly tailored, they are essentially useless.
Old 05-30-2020, 2:36 PM

Quote:
The 2A will never be embraced by the courts. The best we can expect are occasional victories with rulings that are so narrowly tailored, they are essentially useless.
That's certainly a very reasonable approach, but here's another perspective for your consideration . . .

State Level:

In 1986 there was only a single state offering Constitutional carry. Today there are 16.
In 1986 there were 8 Shall Issue states. There are now 26.
In 1986 there were 25 May Issue states; now only 8 remain.
And in 1986 there were 16 states that had no provision for carry licenses. Today there are zero. None. Every state recognizes the right to carry, at least at the conceptual level. Application varies, as you would probably expect.

Federal Level:

2008: Heller (2nd A does not require membership in a militia.)
2010: McDonald (Applies Heller to individual states.)

We are progressing. The low-hanging fruit has been picked. We have "Keep", and are now reaching towards the higher apples. We are stretching for "Bear". That's what the current basket of cases addresses. And we will soon win, whether next year or the year after. We are only one SCOTUS confirmation away, and we have four years to accomplish it.

The last, most difficult, level of cases will be on what "not infringed" means (see "application", above). That's where we'll be addressing how government applies the right to carry. We'll be arguing that one for years.
Old 05-30-2020, 7:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fedora View Post
And in 1986 there were 16 states that had no provision for carry licenses. Today there are zero. None. Every state recognizes the right to carry, at least at the conceptual level. Application varies, as you would probably expect.
The last to fall was Illinois in Dec 2012 via CA7 ruling in Shepard v Madigan. It didn't come easy, and it took a little old lady being brutally beaten and left for dead to change things. Near death experiences shouldn't be the requisite for the COTUS to be upheld, but sadly it is.

https://youtu.be/B_2JwRo5K4o

Old 05-30-2020, 8:19 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
That's certainly a very reasonable approach, but here's another perspective for your consideration . . .

State Level:

In 1986 there was only a single state offering Constitutional carry. Today there are 16.
And in 1986 there were 16 states that had no provision for carry licenses. Today there are zero. None. Every state recognizes the right to carry, at least at the conceptual level.
Incorrect. In May Issue states, like CA, IAs are more than happy to tell you a CCW is a permit to allow you to exercise a privilege under state law, not to exercise a right under the federal constitution's BoR/2nd A.

We need a SCOTUS slap down of our petty tyrants in Sacto.

Old 05-30-2020, 8:21 PM
Calguns Addict

Simply heartbreaking....

Quote:

Old 05-30-2020, 8:44 PM

Quote:
Incorrect. In May Issue states, like CA, IAs are more than happy to tell you a CCW is a permit to allow you to exercise a privilege under state law, not to exercise a right under the federal constitution's BoR/2nd A.

We need a SCOTUS slap down of our petty tyrants in Sacto.
Culp v Madigan may help with that. Isn't one of the cases out of NJ also dealing with this?

Old 05-30-2020, 8:46 PM

Quote:
Simply heartbreaking....

That's what I see when I hear "gun control". Brady, Everytown, Giffords, MDA, Michael Bloomberg, Father "Snuffy" Pfleger, all want that reality. They should be careful what they wish for. One day it may happen to them.

Old 05-30-2020, 8:53 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:

State Level:

Federal Level:

2008: Heller (2nd A does not require membership in a militia.)
2010: McDonald (Applies Heller to individual states.)

We are progressing. The low-hanging fruit has been picked. We have "Keep", and are now reaching towards the higher apples. We are stretching for "Bear". That's what the current basket of cases addresses. And we will soon win, whether next year or the year after. We are only one SCOTUS confirmation away, and we have four years to accomplish it.

The last, most difficult, level of cases will be on what "not infringed" means (see "application", above). That's where we'll be addressing how government applies the right to carry. We'll be arguing that one for years.
A state that allows open carry, no permit is by default a Constitutional Carry state...irregardless of how they regulate concealed carry.

That's according to DC v. Heller in 2008...

...and pretty much in effect until further notice.

As to the "until further notice..." I'm starting to wonder if Robert's is willing to go backwards on DC v. Heller.

=8-|
Old 05-30-2020, 8:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrrabbit View Post
A state that allows open carry, no permit is by default a Constitutional Carry state...irregardless of how they regulate concealed carry.

That's according to DC v. Heller in 2008...

...and pretty much in effect until further notice.

As to the "until further notice..." I'm starting to wonder if Robert's is willing to go backwards on DC v. Heller.

=8-|
I believe he already has. After all, he didn't vote to grant cert in Friedman v Highland Park.

Old 05-30-2020, 9:16 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Culp v Madigan may help with that. Isn't one of the cases out of NJ also dealing with this?
IIRC, 6 of the 10 2nd A cases before SCOTUS right now are Carry cases.

Old 05-31-2020, 8:52 AM
Calguns Addict

Can we get back to discussing the ten 2nd A cases before SCOTUS?

There are plenty of other threads for other topics. Or you can start a new one.

20 1/2 hours to go!

Old 05-31-2020, 9:39 PM
Calguns Addict

Less than 8 hours to go!

Old 05-31-2020, 10:28 PM
Head Janitor

Quote:
Can we get back to discussing the ten 2nd A cases before SCOTUS?
Good idea...
The California Rifle & Pistol Assoc. - Director.
DONATE TO NRA-ILA, CGSSA, AND CRPAF NOW!
Opinions posted in this account are my own and unless specifically stated as such are not the approved position of Calguns.net, CGSSA or CRPA.
Old 05-31-2020, 10:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kestryll View Post
Good idea...
Thank you. I tried in one of the posts you deleted. Used a whole paragraph tying it into the topic. I failed.

Old 05-31-2020, 11:04 PM
Shiny
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Less than 8 hours to go!

Pass the popcorn