Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > GENERAL DISCUSSION > General gun discussions
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

General gun discussions This is a place to lounge and discuss firearm related topics with other forum members.

Old 04-06-2020, 2:44 PM
Calguns Addict

If it’s for around the house I wouldn’t attach anything but minimal mag pouches and maybe a flashlight. If you can’t crawl your butt to your med kit you weren’t going to make it anyway. Low profile is the way to go.
Old 04-06-2020, 2:52 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by vino68 View Post
I have the Eagle Industries MC-CIRAS, that is the maritime version. Which also has the rip cord for quick release. I do not have the soft armor inserts, I need to get them.
I have several of the Maritime CIRAS carriers (with soft armor and plates).I like that model better than the land version.

You need to find the level IIIa SPEAR/BALCS cut aramid kevlar inserts for the carrier. Kevlar lasts forever. I have shot numerous 25 year old kevlar vests over the years and they never failed to stop the rounds they are rated for. The 5 year lifetime is just a liability management and marketing ploy by the manufacturers. So used inserts that are viable alternative to new.

You can find "good" used inserts on EBay for $200 plus. Stay away from the real worn sets that price under that. I personally have a mix of SPEAR/BALCS soft insert sets by Eagle Industries, Safariland and Velocity systems that I have always purchased new. MAKE SURE what you get is adamid kevlar only. A new SPEAR/BLACS set will cost $300 to $500.

A new set from Velocity systems for instance will cost you $475

DO NOT BUY Dyneema soft armor. It is not fire retardant and will melt if exposed to flame and it will deteriorate over time with moisture , sweat etc...

NRA life member
SAF life member
CRPA member

Last edited by OCEquestrian; 04-06-2020 at 9:14 PM..
Old 04-06-2020, 2:53 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by deckhandmike View Post
If it’s for around the house I wouldn’t attach anything but minimal mag pouches and maybe a flashlight. If you can’t crawl your butt to your med kit you weren’t going to make it anyway. Low profile is the way to go.
Bad neighborhood?

NRA life member
SAF life member
CRPA member
Old 04-06-2020, 3:12 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by OCEquestrian View Post
Bad neighborhood?
He said good neighborhood so no need for the whole kitchen sink. But whatever floats you’re boat.
Old 04-06-2020, 3:26 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by deckhandmike View Post
He said good neighborhood so no need for the whole kitchen sink. But whatever floats you’re boat.
So he did, my bad, but, but.... he says he has a man bun...

NRA life member
SAF life member
CRPA member
Old 04-06-2020, 5:10 PM

If you're wearing it around the house, why would you "need" anything on it?

You should already have your extra ammo and/or loaded weapons strategically placed around the house with any quick emergency pack(s) likewise stowed.

Got Zydrate?

Help, I'm having premonitions of future flashbacks.

"All Californians, like all citizens of the United States, have a fundamental Constitutional right to keep and bear common and dangerous arms. The nation’s Founders used arms for self-protection, for the common defense, for hunting food, and as a check against tyranny." Judge Benitez - March 2019
Old 04-06-2020, 5:15 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

A peace sign - and get a helmet with "Born to Kill" on it.
Old 04-06-2020, 5:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ross View Post

You should already have your extra ammo and/or loaded weapons strategically placed around the house with any quick emergency pack(s) likewise stowed.
What if the intruder flushes you out of your property causing you to flee. Only thing you could grab was your AR-15 and plate carrier with mags already stored on the front. Then what ?
Old 04-06-2020, 5:27 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Master_Prestige View Post
What if the intruder flushes you out of your property causing you to flee. Only thing you could grab was your AR-15 and plate carrier with mags already stored on the front. Then what ?
To be honest if you are being "flushed" out of your property, you are in a "world of crap" and unless what is on your kit is a radio to call in an air/artillery strike or extraction, you are probably about to not care anymore...about anything.

NRA life member
SAF life member
CRPA member
Old 04-06-2020, 5:34 PM
facultatem excelsis
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ross View Post

It's preparation. Just like, if it's not in the gun, or on the gun, it doesn't exist.

Same here. If it's not on your person, it doesn't exist.

That fire extinguisher stored in your closet doesn't exist when the fire is in your kitchen/bedroom. Put a fire extinguisher in your kitchen and your bedroom, and your garage, and your spare rooms.
Old 04-06-2020, 5:45 PM

Just a small thing, but not sure why anyone would waste time/space with a blood type patch. No one is going to give you blood without typing you first, no matter what your patch says.

“Those who survived the San Francisco earthquake said, ‘Thank God, I’m still alive.’ But, of course, those who died, their lives will never be the same again.” – Sen. Barbara Boxer

NRA Patron Member
Old 04-06-2020, 5:50 PM
Calguns Addict

I just keep an additional 84 rounds on mine.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 04-06-2020, 5:57 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by nitroxdiver View Post
I just keep an additional 84 rounds on mine.

You can ever have too much. 84 rounds?? You download two?

NRA life member
SAF life member
CRPA member
Old 04-06-2020, 6:11 PM
Veteran Member

First aid and 3-4 mags. Im a minimalist when it comes to wearing body armor.

I'm under 40, very fit and mobile and all I can stand wearing is two 10x12 plates and 3 extra AR mags in a minimalist plate carrier. I use a Hoplite level IV+ swimmers cut plate in front and a Protech level III HDPE plate in back. Both have 10x12 level IIIA kevlar backers.

Steel plates are heavy AF for the level of protection they offer. I dont know how guys can roll with side plates either.

My philosphy is to have the minimum protection to survive a direct frontal hit to the heart or lungs by a 556 or 762 without sacrificing all my mobility. Thats about all i can hope for. I'm not superman. I cant wear plates on the sides or a full OTV with 8-10 mags. Im not 22 years old and the US military isnt going to give me a ride in an MRAP or a helicopter to get from point A to point B.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 200Apples View Post
Civilization is four missed meals unwiped po0ps away from anarchy.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ibanezfoo View Post
And the lord appeared unto him and spoketh "tere henges". And he did knoweth in two weeks shall be the terrible boating accident whereas upon the mighty waves will the shoulder thing that goes up be lost beneath the sea. All rise. Sit down. Rise again. Sit down. Behold the non homo dancing. Amen

Last edited by California_Deplorable; 04-06-2020 at 6:16 PM..
Old 04-06-2020, 6:14 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
You can ever have too much. 84 rounds?? You download two?

I do Sir. I find it easier to seat the mags on a closed bolt with two down vs none or one. Easier may not be the right word i’m looking for, maybe more sure. I’ve had the dreaded mag fall out of the magwell once or twice running full up 30’s in the past. I use usgi aluminums almost exclusively save for a dozen or so HK steel hostile enviro mags.

Old 04-06-2020, 6:17 PM
facultatem excelsis
CGN Contributor

Downloading by two for AR is a good idea.
Old 04-06-2020, 6:24 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
I do Sir. I find it easier to seat the mags on a closed bolt with two down vs none or one. Easier may not be the right word i’m looking for, maybe more sure. I’ve had the dreaded mag fall out of the magwell once or twice running full up 30’s in the past. I use usgi aluminums almost exclusively save for a dozen or so HK steel hostile enviro mags.

Very practical. Thats why people need to get out and test things. So they arent just armchair commandos.

Quote:
Quote:
And the lord appeared unto him and spoketh "tere henges". And he did knoweth in two weeks shall be the terrible boating accident whereas upon the mighty waves will the shoulder thing that goes up be lost beneath the sea. All rise. Sit down. Rise again. Sit down. Behold the non homo dancing. Amen
Old 04-06-2020, 6:34 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by California_Deplorable View Post
Very practical. Thats why people need to get out and test things. So they arent just armchair commandos.

Thank you. I have a very minimal set as well. Front and rear plates, 3 mags. Nothing on the sides, no pistols, no knives, no hydration. Just level 3 ceramic plates, trauma pads, and a few magazines. I can get prone with it, although it’s always easier without haha. I can also drive with them on pretty easily. Something to think about and try if people haven’t. They don’t weigh a ton. Maybe 20 pounds tops for the whole thing.

Old 04-06-2020, 6:35 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:

Hmmm. I download 1 in the 30 rd AR mags. I run with a full 20 rnds in the 20 rd AR mags. I dont run into the issue with the HK91 or the Stg58...

NRA life member
SAF life member
CRPA member
Old 04-06-2020, 6:36 PM

Quote:
Thank you. I have a very minimal set as well. Front and rear plates, 3 mags. Nothing on the sides, no pistols, no knives, no hydration. Just level 3 ceramic plates, trauma pads, and a few magazines. I can get prone with it, although it’s always easier without haha. I can also drive with them on pretty easily. Something to think about and try if people haven’t. They don’t weigh a ton. Maybe 20 pounds tops for the whole thing.

Med kit and TQs on the belt ??
Old 04-06-2020, 6:37 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
I dont think you should have your pistol on your armor anyway (unless you are air/AFV crew).

If for any reason you are separated from your armor, you would still at least have your handgun in a tac holster on your thigh.

NRA life member
SAF life member
CRPA member

Last edited by OCEquestrian; 04-06-2020 at 6:41 PM..
Old 04-06-2020, 6:38 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:

Yup. Thats my setup and philosophy as well.

The main purpose for me wearing any armor is for shooting out in the boonies where you never know who might show up.

Quote:
Quote:
Old 04-06-2020, 6:43 PM

My set up for SHTF:
-Magazines for primary and secondary
-Fixed blade knife
-Med pouch: Tourniquet, blood stopping gauze, Celox plunger, Israeli bandage, band aids, shears, gloves, and sharpie
-Zip tie restraints
-Hydration carrier and bladder, store extra magazines inside, snacks

-Ballistic helmet: NODs, pouch to store batteries or run external battery pack, IR beacon, electronic ear protection

- GySgt Bob Lee Swagger
Old 04-06-2020, 7:52 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Master_Prestige View Post
Med kit and TQs on the belt ??

Yes, with a pistol.

Old 04-06-2020, 8:16 PM

If you’re planning to go to battle, hopefully you’re running with a trained team and hopefully there’s medical personal there on standby should you need a to use a trauma kit on an individual. The plate is one of those things you don’t need but is one of those things you wished you had if the situation has you in a serious gun battle.

In a SHTF situation the likeliness of a trauma center nearby would be slim to none as well as dependable emergency transportation to such a facility. A serious wound needs surgical mending, delaying the bleeding process has proven to buy a victim precious time but it alone isn’t guaranteed to save a life.

If you’re planning to assemble a carrier keep it simple, survival should be your number 1 mindset. I think Rob at AKOU is doing a great series on SHTF and will be touching on good points.
Old 04-06-2020, 8:19 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by California_Deplorable View Post
First aid and 3-4 mags. Im a minimalist when it comes to wearing body armor.

I'm under 40, very fit and mobile and all I can stand wearing is two 10x12 plates and 3 extra AR mags in a minimalist plate carrier. I use a Hoplite level IV+ swimmers cut plate in front and a Protech level III HDPE plate in back. Both have 10x12 level IIIA kevlar backers.

Steel plates are heavy AF for the level of protection they offer. I dont know how guys can roll with side plates either.

My philosphy is to have the minimum protection to survive a direct frontal hit to the heart or lungs by a 556 or 762 without sacrificing all my mobility. Thats about all i can hope for. I'm not superman. I cant wear plates on the sides or a full OTV with 8-10 mags. Im not 22 years old and the US military isnt going to give me a ride in an MRAP or a helicopter to get from point A to point B.
IME it's more a percentage thing than a fitness thing. I've seen a fit 160 pound guy with a setup like that huff and puff in spots where a 6'9" 290 pound guy that's out of shape carry more than that.
Old 04-06-2020, 8:59 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by sigstroker View Post
IME it's more a percentage thing than a fitness thing. I've seen a fit 160 pound guy with a setup like that huff and puff in spots where a 6'9" 290 pound guy that's out of shape carry more than that.

For sure.

Old 04-06-2020, 9:01 PM
Calguns Addict

This is a good discussion guys. Thanks to all participating.

Old 04-06-2020, 9:16 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sigstroker View Post
Im 5'10" 170lbs. Im not huffing and puffing but my knees feel like they are going to buckle and my back is going to snap if I wear an OTV with large plates, tons of mags, hydration and crap like that. I want to be as fast as possible in order to break contact (run away) or outflank an adversary. My advantage is speed and agility, not brute strength.

Quote:
Quote:

Last edited by California_Deplorable; 04-06-2020 at 9:19 PM..
Old 04-06-2020, 9:28 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
I dont think you should have your pistol on your armor anyway (unless you are air/AFV crew).

If for any reason you are separated from your armor, you would still at least have your handgun in a tac holster on your thigh.

I was helo aircrew back in the 80’s. We had a pistol holster built into our sv2 survival vest. Didn’t have armor. I think we had old school vietnam flak jackets in the paraloft but since we didn’t do anything except make scary faces at the Russians while i served, we never had them issued to us.

I have a good friend who is a cobra driver in the Marines. He carried his m9 on his armor in the cockpit in Iraq. I have his holster now. A gift I will keep forever.

Old 04-07-2020, 6:52 AM
Veteran Member

Camelbak hydration pack if you're going to be covering a lot of distance while wearing it.

Obviously only relevant if you're wearing it outside somewhere, but still a nice item to have if needed.

Last edited by onelonehorseman; 04-07-2020 at 6:55 AM..
Old 04-07-2020, 9:43 AM
Sarariman Shuta
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by AregularGuy View Post
Just a small thing, but not sure why anyone would waste time/space with a blood type patch. No one is going to give you blood without typing you first, no matter what your patch says.
Well, you have a choice of whether to put it or not. Especially if it is too much a waste of time/space on your part.

I always have a Blood Type Patch in all my 'extreme' activities - be it motorsports, shooting (in both matches and classes), backpacking (in my wristband), MedKit, HD kit/bag, body armor, etc.

_