Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > GENERAL DISCUSSION > Technology and Internet
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Technology and Internet Emerging and current tech related issues. Internet, DRM, IP, and other technology related discussions.

Old 10-12-2012, 9:44 AM
previously bloodhawke83
CGN Contributor

Default FINALLY, rooted my razr!!!

Too the rooting mods forever to come out with a bug free process. Last time i tried, almost bricked it.

STEP #1 How To Root Droid Razr on ICS!
http://androidroot.org/watch_video.php?v=X839DK454N3G
STEP #2 How To Install SafeStrap Recovery and Install/Backup ROM on ICS for Droid Razr!
http://androidroot.org/watch_video.php?v=M8SR1U53A7K5
STEP #3 Eclipse ICS ROM for Rooted Droid Razr!
http://androidroot.org/watch_video.php?v=M7HR5RA4SO9Y
Anyone not voting Brown is putting other things above gun rights.
Whitman + Cooley or Harris = a rash of gun control California has never seen the likes of.
-Gene
Quote:
Originally Posted by hoffmang View Post
If you're not voting why are you even opining?
Brown has a track record of not bowing to Dem pressure on guns.
-Gene

Last edited by 2shotjoe; 10-12-2012 at 3:09 PM..
Old 10-12-2012, 9:54 AM
Veteran Member
CGN Contributor

Is that like Jail Breaking?
Old 10-12-2012, 9:55 AM

What is the advantage of rooting phones? My 18 y.o. says I'll get bettter battery life and possibly faster. Any other advantages? Is it something I can do once and forget it? He is always messing with his phone after rooting.
Would love longer battery life but I don't want to have to continually tweek it.
Old 10-12-2012, 10:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rockit View Post
What is the advantage of rooting phones? My 18 y.o. says I'll get bettter battery life and possibly faster. Any other advantages? Is it something I can do once and forget it? He is always messing with his phone after rooting.
Would love longer battery life but I don't want to have to continually tweek it.
Just rooting the phone and leaving it now in days wont do much for you other then being able to use the apps that say they are for rooted phones only.

the real advantage of rooting is being able to flash custom roms which can change pretty much anything and everything about the phone and that's where the extra battery life/faster speed new features and themes come from. Flashing custom roms is something I don't recommend to people that wont know how to flash it to a different rom at a later date...the problem is you often will need to update your rom when your phone gets a software update (you wont be able to do an over the air upgrade)

there's apps out there that can auto update certain popular roms (rom manager) but still that might be too much tweaking for some one that just wants to use something in stock form with auto over the air updates.

if you have an old phone that doesn't get updated anymore rooting and flashing a custom rom can give you an entirely new phone. It can bring you to a newer android version than what is normally supported for your phone as well as make the phone much faster (over clocking) and if your phone isn't getting updated anymore you can probably stick with a rom for a very long time with out touching it.

Last edited by Montu; 10-12-2012 at 10:04 AM..
Old 10-12-2012, 10:13 AM
previously bloodhawke83
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by socalbowhunter View Post
yes

Quote:
free tethering, battert life, uninstill any or all apps. Disable carrier privacy data checking.

and updates to bug fixes, carriers control the release of updates and most of the time doesn't bother releasing it. also I can get to the new version of android OS once its out.
Whitman + Cooley or Harris = a rash of gun control California has never seen the likes of.
-Gene
Quote:
-Gene
Old 10-12-2012, 12:13 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bloodhawke83 View Post
yes

free tethering, battert life, uninstill any or all apps. Disable carrier privacy data checking.

and updates to bug fixes, carriers control the release of updates and most of the time doesn't bother releasing it. also I can get to the new version of android OS once its out.
I've been running a rooted Thunderbolt with BAMF Cubed 1.10 for about a year now. I love having free hotspot, bittorrent, faster ROM, better battery life, and more control. I don't think I'll get rid of this phone for quite a long time. It still outperforms my boss's Nexus SIII. My 4G is roughly 5 times faster than his with both of us on big red.
"I like to think there are three measures of a man: How much steak he can eat in one sitting, how full his mustache is and how quickly he can whittle a spear in the event of the apocalypse." - Ron Swanson

Quote:
Originally Posted by Champ Kind
I believe if Jesus owned a sidearm he wouldn't have been crucified.
Old 10-12-2012, 12:50 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by socalbowhunter View Post
Better than jailbreaking, as you don't have to use the iCrap interface that came on an iPhone, for one...

Since Androids are based on Open Source code (Linux Kernel for starters) under the GPL license, all source written (AFAIK) must be published (legally), so in turn it can be made "better", or even replaced, if a device is buggy (due to say Samsung not testing the Sidekick 4g almost at all before dropping the phone on the market with ZERO resolve for owners of said device, as it was soon-after discontinued), or if it is crippled in some way... OOTB.

I rooted all except 2 of the Androids in the home (9 total including prior ones, our newest editions of which there is no real need) and only made 1 dysfunctional beyond repair (as of yet because LG apparently want to control software like a Democrat in our current government want's to control growth with false environmental issues).

I have made 2 buggy/memory-leakie phones stable via ROM swaps.

Last edited by the86d; 10-12-2012 at 1:08 PM..
Old 10-12-2012, 12:52 PM
Bacon makes it better
CGN Contributor - Lifetime

Quote:
Not just battery but pretty much everything else. It's cool that you can play with overclocking settings, battery performance, lots of stuff.
Old 10-12-2012, 1:19 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by the86d View Post
Better than jailbreaking, as you don't have to use the iCrap interface that came on an iPhone, for one...

Since Androids are based on Open Source code (Linux Kernel for starters) under the GPL license, all source written (AFAIK) must be published (legally), so in turn it can be made "better", or even replaced, if a device is buggy (due to say Samsung not testing the Sidekick 4g almost at all before dropping the phone on the market with ZERO resolve for owners of said device, as it was soon-after discontinued), or if it is crippled in some way... OOTB.

I rooted all except 2 of the Androids in the home (9 total including prior ones, our newest editions of which there is no real need) and only made 1 dysfunctional beyond repair (as of yet because LG apparently want to control software like a Democrat in our current government want's to control growth with false environmental issues).

I have made 2 buggy/memory-leakie phones stable via ROM swaps.
That's not exactly how open-source works but you're close. Android in the strictest sense is open source, but not completely.

http://www.wired.com/business/2010/10/is-android-open/

This will give you more of an understanding or even just googling "is android open source" as well. It's still better than iOS
"I like to think there are three measures of a man: How much steak he can eat in one sitting, how full his mustache is and how quickly he can whittle a spear in the event of the apocalypse." - Ron Swanson

Quote:
Originally Posted by Champ Kind
I believe if Jesus owned a sidearm he wouldn't have been crucified.
Old 10-12-2012, 3:08 PM
previously bloodhawke83
CGN Contributor

links provided above for Razr phone, just to a search on the site for your phone.
-Gene
Quote:
-Gene
Old 10-12-2012, 3:10 PM
Calguns Addict

I have the HTC Inspire 4G(still running on old gingerbread). I finally got around to rooting it and am kicking myself for not doing it earlier(though it is a company phone, lol). It runs Jelly Bean superbly, and I haven't had nearly as many issues since removing HTC Sense.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deadbolt View Post
watching this state and country operate is like watching a water park burn down. doesn't make sense.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Obama
Team 6 showed up in choppers, it was so cash. Lit his house with red dots like it had a rash. Navy SEALs dashed inside his house, left their heads spinning...then flew off in the night screaming "Duh, WINNING!"
Old 10-12-2012, 3:29 PM
Ready fo HILLARY!!

My android phone has about 20million too many apps in the background, I'm constantly closing them to keep the battery life usable. Rooting it would mean that I could uninstall most of them and not have to worry about that.

FWIW if you want more battery life get an ontrion.com battery pack for it. They have ones that almost double it.
Old 10-15-2012, 3:45 AM
Veteran Member

I have the Razr Maxx, basically the Razr with a HUGE battery. I have rooted and soft-bricket it numerous times. The saving grace is the locked bootloader...thank you Moto for being smarter than me!

I have rooted all my androids, because Titanium backup is a wonderful life-saving app...I can erase everything and painlessly restore everything from emails to text messages, even paid app perks. No muss.

-Generic tabs x 2
-Moto Defy
-S Advance
-Tab 10.1
-Moto Razr Maxx
-Galaxy Ace
-Galaxy S III
-MOTO Atrix 2

Sent from my Razr Maxx using Tapatalk 2
Old 10-20-2012, 5:07 AM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Theseus View Post
I have the Razr Maxx, basically the Razr with a HUGE battery. I have rooted and soft-bricket it numerous times. The saving grace is the locked bootloader...thank you Moto for being smarter than me!

I have rooted all my androids, because Titanium backup is a wonderful life-saving app...I can erase everything and painlessly restore everything from emails to text messages, even paid app perks. No muss.

-Generic tabs x 2
-Moto Defy
-S Advance
-Tab 10.1
-Moto Razr Maxx
-Galaxy Ace
-Galaxy S III
-MOTO Atrix 2...
Are these the eBay $39.99 china-special tablets, or do you have a link to what you have?

How are those generic tablets, functional, issues, etc?
Old 10-21-2012, 3:45 AM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by the86d View Post
Are these the eBay $39.99 china-special tablets, or do you have a link to what you have?

How are those generic tablets, functional, issues, etc?
Well, I am in Hong Kong, so have no idea what things are going for in the US. As for the generic Tabs, one was a 10.1 and another a 8...both of those were generic brands.

They were functional, but were far from their brand-name counterparts, and also almost two years ago...a lot has happened in 2 years in terms of hardware and software.

Sent from my Razr Maxx using Tapatalk 2
Old 10-22-2012, 9:18 PM
CGSSA Associate

if you're unfamiliar with supporting your own PC or laptop's issues, i would suggest passing on "rooting" your phone. However if you understand the core concepts of operating systems, the HAL (in its various shapes and forms) and are interested in learning the nuisances of the andriod bastardization OS

Then rooting is for you. However if you are not willing to spend more than 2-3hrs on your first attempt dialing it in to meet your own spec requirements in form and function - i would recommend against it.