Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > GENERAL DISCUSSION > Technology and Internet
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Technology and Internet Emerging and current tech related issues. Internet, DRM, IP, and other technology related discussions.

Old 06-24-2012, 9:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cowboy T View Post
How's the Ubuntu laptop working out for what you want/need to do with it?
Good. I have had some software issues, (like not being able to get the "Xilinx" software cable drivers to work) but I managed. I really like most of the default software that comes with ubuntu. Out-of-the-ISO I had to change things around to get it the way I like it, but the same can be said for Windows too I guess. I am disappointed in the lack of default SSD support though, trim is not enabled by default, but some edits to fstab can fix that.

If someone has normal (basic) software needs, or if they know and understand what linux can do and it suits their needs (linux can do a LOT now btw) then linux is a good viable choice for an OS. But, and I'm sure you'll disagree, Windows 7 is also a great OS; in my experience it just never crashes and has so much software for it.

That's my take on OSs.

Last edited by vikingm03; 06-24-2012 at 10:01 AM..
Old 06-25-2012, 8:43 AM
Veteran Member

I guess an OS can be viewed as "great" or not depending on what its intended use is. As one example, for "gamerz", I'd say Windows 7 probably is pretty good, because of the sheer amount of games that are written for the Win32 platform. By contrast, Linux doesn't have very good support for Windows games, so it's not so great there. However, for general computing use, I'm now convinced that Linux is a superior platform, and here's one big reason why.

http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/s...d.php?t=587751

My Dad is also a non-techie and has run across these infected Web sites regularly. Fortunately, he's pretty much immune to that stuff now. I had put him on a GNU/Linux distro during his last computer refresh (previous one had MS Windows), and since he does online financial transactions, my first concern was that his computer doesn't get "pwn3d". To prepare him for the OS move, I had installed OpenOffice.org, Firefox, and Thunderbird on his Windows box and migrated him over to those apps. He uses those same apps on GNU/Linux today. I was also able to migrate his financial data from Quicken to KMyMoney (the GNU/Linux equivalent), and it's actually pretty decent.

However, perhaps for those who have certain niche business apps that require the Win32 API (e. g. Lawson), Microsoft Windows might still be needed. I wish software houses would rely less on "CraptiveX" controls and instead use W3C standards. AJAX (Async JavaScript And XML) and style sheets together can do a whole lot and are cross-platform. As long as Internet Exploder continues to support CraptiveX, these "click-by" infections will likely continue.

Just looked up this TRIM that you'd mentioned. I don't have any SSD's just yet, given their cost compared to traditional hard disk drives, so I hadn't known about it yet. But I see what you're talking about and why TRIM is a very good idea! As SSD's come down in price and thus get more popular, I'd imagine Ubuntu will have this turned on by default.
http://www.liberalsguncorner.com (podcast)
http://www.youtube.com/sfliberal (YouTube channel)
----------------------------------------------------
To be a true Liberal, you must be 100% pro-Second Amendment. Anything less is inconsistent with liberalism.

Last edited by Cowboy T; 06-25-2012 at 8:53 AM..
Old 06-26-2012, 10:39 AM

Ya, almost everyone who wants to play games on the PC will default to windows (or dual boot), that's just that way things are.

For general computing use (by non-techies specifically) linux does have that ace up it's sleeve. But the way I think about it for that role, both suck very hard. Either way the non-techie still needs that techie-in-the-family. Could your father have setup linux himself? What if something goes wrong (something will eventually) like say a permissions problem or something, can your father operate the terminal by himself? If someone who is computer illiterate didn't need more powerful software like Quicken or Photoshop or the linux equivalents (so not your dad in this case), a tablet makes a lot of sense I think. Less work for the techie-in-the-family

As for the SSD, my laptop gets moved/bumped around a lot, so an SSD makes sense for me. Space doesn't seem to be an issue either, but I dont carry around movies or anything on it, just my work.

SSD's seem to have caught linux off guard or something. I remember reading something about the people behind the kernel development recommending against turning on trim at all (the "discard" option that goes in the fstab file), and just using a command (something like "fstrim", would have to look it up agian) once in a while manually. I just turned trim on anyways, everyone else is doing it =)

Oh, just wanted to say one more thing I like about Ubuntu (im sure some other distros do it too, I haven't tried them all). I really like the alias' for the default programs. For example, in some other distros I have tried, when you start it up for the first time you are greeted with a ton of applications like "pacman", "geany", "Thunar", etc. At a glance you have no idea what these are, it's a foreign language. Ubuntu has alias' for the crazy names, so by default I can launch "files", "screenshot", "text editor", "system monitor", etc. I really liked the common language of these alias' and I think it's a good direction for linux to go. Less time learning the OS, more time using it. Just my opinion...

Last edited by vikingm03; 06-26-2012 at 10:43 AM..
Old 06-26-2012, 3:49 PM

Tri boot ftw! OS X lion, Debian, Win7 x64. The OS X for number 3 is just for bragging rights :P
Old 06-26-2012, 5:17 PM
AKA: Joe Censored
CGN Contributor - Lifetime

I use Ubuntu Linux on my work laptop, have been since 2007. The only time I use Windows is on my gaming computer. Though I have to say Microsoft did a much better job with Win7 than I expected.
Old 06-26-2012, 7:15 PM

I use to run Linux back in the day, Slack ware 3.0 was the last distro that I ran of Linux. While it has its advantages, I can't shake that 99% of the software out there runs for Windows. Using wine sucked, so I'm sticking to windows. Too lazy to use Linux anymore.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus
Old 06-26-2012, 7:26 PM
I need a LIFE!!

I run Linux in VMs when I need to use it.

The Constitution shall never be construed to authorize Congress to prevent the people of the United States, who are peaceable citizens, from keeping their own arms. -- Samuel Adams, Debates and Proceedings in the Convention of the Commonwealth of Massachusetts, 86-87 (Pearce and Hale, eds., Boston, 1850)
Old 06-26-2012, 9:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JDay View Post
I run Linux in VMs when I need to use it.
Ya VMWare makes it soo easy I love it.
Old 06-28-2012, 7:57 AM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by vikingm03 View Post
For general computing use (by non-techies specifically) linux does have that ace up it's sleeve. But the way I think about it for that role, both suck very hard. Either way the non-techie still needs that techie-in-the-family. Could your father have setup linux himself? What if something goes wrong (something will eventually) like say a permissions problem or something, can your father operate the terminal by himself? If someone who is computer illiterate didn't need more powerful software like Quicken or Photoshop or the linux equivalents (so not your dad in this case), a tablet makes a lot of sense I think. Less work for the techie-in-the-family
No, my Dad would've been up ye olde creek, be it either GNU/Linux or Windows 7, if he had to set it up himself. Total non-techie. Wouldn't have known Jack Diddly about setting up, say, a printer driver on MS Windows. You raise a good point there about computer OS's generally. He does some very basic terminal stuff to run his weekly backup to an external USB drive, based on some instructions I wrote up for him (it's a BASH script running rsync). I could've installed something like AMANDA or bacula, but a quick BASH script and a "this is how you run it" Post-It just turned out to be easier.

The other nice thing is that I can SSH into his box and fix whatever it is that he broke. :-) Fortunately, that isn't too often.
To be a true Liberal, you must be 100% pro-Second Amendment. Anything less is inconsistent with liberalism.
Old 06-28-2012, 11:55 AM
I need a LIFE!!

Quote:
He does some very basic terminal stuff to run his weekly backup to an external USB drive, based on some instructions I wrote up for him (it's a BASH script running rsync). I could've installed something like AMANDA or bacula, but a quick BASH script and a "this is how you run it" Post-It just turned out to be easier.
A cron job would have been the preferred solution. Or you could setup a script to run when that drive is attached to the system.

Quote:
The other nice thing is that I can SSH into his box and fix whatever it is that he broke. :-) Fortunately, that isn't too often.
You can do the same with Windows.

http://sshwindows.sourceforge.net/

Or you can setup a free service such as LogMeIn.

The Constitution shall never be construed to authorize Congress to prevent the people of the United States, who are peaceable citizens, from keeping their own arms. -- Samuel Adams, Debates and Proceedings in the Convention of the Commonwealth of Massachusetts, 86-87 (Pearce and Hale, eds., Boston, 1850)
Old 06-29-2012, 5:10 AM
Vendor/Retailer
CGN Contributor

Quote:
A cron job would have been the preferred solution. Or you could setup a script to run when that drive is attached to the system.

Hell, I wore a batch file in 30 seconds to do back ups for my mothers business PC in notepad. Put a file name of " run me every night ". Didn't even need a sticky note on the monitor.

Also check out team viewer for remote service.

Sent from my Incredible 2 using Tapatalk 2

10% off slings for calguns members. PM for details. Like us on facebook!

Last edited by zfields; 06-29-2012 at 5:13 AM..
Old 06-29-2012, 5:12 AM
Vendor/Retailer
CGN Contributor

Oops

10% off slings for calguns members. PM for details. Like us on facebook!
Old 06-29-2012, 1:08 PM
I need a LIFE!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by zfields View Post
Also check out team viewer for remote service.
LogMeIn has many more features that are useful for remote diagnostics.

Old 07-03-2012, 12:06 AM

I'm a huge Windows supporter, but I use Unix for my home servers and at work.
Old 07-03-2012, 4:23 AM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Not in this case. It's a USB thumb drive which only gets plugged in during the backup session. A relatively permanently attached USB hard disk, then yes, that's when I'd call for a cron job.

Quote:

Nah, I'd rather not go through some unknown third party for SSH'ing into my Dad's box. And as for this "sshwindows", it's good that they have it, but since OpenSSH already comes with GNU/Linux, I just used that.

And the malware issue--the chief issue--still remains. His Microsoft Windows OS was full of malware, and that's no longer a problem now.
Old 07-06-2012, 4:22 PM
I need a LIFE!!

Quote:
Not in this case. It's a USB thumb drive which only gets plugged in during the backup session. A relatively permanently attached USB hard disk, then yes, that's when I'd call for a cron job.
You could also configure a udev rule to run the script when that drive is plugged in.

http://www.reactivated.net/writing_udev_rules.html

Old 07-07-2012, 3:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nose Nuggets View Post
just depends on your needs, really. Linux works fine for a lot of people.

let me know when you have Skyrim, EVE, and DCS A10-C working and I'll meet you over in Linux land.
you play eve? never thought i'd find a another cal gunner that did lol

on a side note eve runs really well through wine at least last time i tried it. its still gold certified on wine so i bet it still does run good, i've been on 7 for awhile now due to other games (mainly BF3)

on topic linux is a great desktop os these days mainly thanks to debian/ubuntu i only run 7 on my rig due to gaming, all the other machines in my house are linux. (ubuntu for the general purpose machine and cent os for my file server)

Last edited by dmax11; 07-07-2012 at 3:48 PM..
Old 07-07-2012, 7:59 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
You could also configure a udev rule to run the script when that drive is plugged in.

http://www.reactivated.net/writing_udev_rules.html
Hey, pretty keen, I didn't know about that. Thanks! It shows yet again the under-the-hood power of GNU/Linux. For my Dad's purpose, the shell script does a fine job, so we'll stick with that for him. However, I may use this udev bag o' tricks later on for some other situations for which I see it being pretty handy.
Old 07-07-2012, 8:01 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmax11 View Post
on topic linux is a great desktop os these days mainly thanks to debian/ubuntu i only run 7 on my rig due to gaming, all the other machines in my house are linux. (ubuntu for the general purpose machine and cent os for my file server)
Gotta agree. Ubuntu (just a more user-friendly Debian) has made the desktop much easier for n00bs to use, and I think they've done a good job of it. We need that. My video editing machine runs Ubuntu. My file server is actually a K12LTSP/K12Linux box, which is CentOS-based.

Pure "Pwnage-Avoidance"! :-)
Old 10-04-2012, 7:50 PM

Windows on my game/main use computer.
Fedora and BackTrack dual boot on my experimenting with computer.
On my (very) old Dell laptop I run DragonFly BSD after trying Haiku and finding it to be basically an older version of windows with some appearance changes and a new name.
Old 10-07-2012, 8:15 PM

I like Windows 7 64bit. No significant issues with it yet.

I'll pass on Windows 8. It looks great for tablets but I use a desktop.
Old 10-09-2012, 1:41 PM
Banned

Location: Currently in a shanty I made in the river bottom by Eastvale.

What things are the Linux/GNU good for? More specifically, WHAT EXACT things, or if there are a lot of things, How strong is that platform when it comes to movie editing and multimedia production? IE, vid capping, stringing together movies, playing with audio and video, trimming off multimedia files, dvd authoring, etc. Is all of that free or does one need to purchase software?

I am about to put my multimedia system together again. I just found it actually and now I have a few more boxes to move and then I can have a look at start the wipe of the C: and reinstall the OS. (which might be Windows 7 64 instead of windows xp pro 32.)
Old 10-09-2012, 1:45 PM
Calguns Addict

Windows 8 was a little frustrating the first few days but there aren't any changes you can't overcome with a little time.

I think Metro is certainly a waste of time on a desktop and I am sure MS will introduce an option in the very near future to disable or at least nueter it based on user and manufacturer feedback. Besides, it hasn't even been released yet.

I work in IT supporting Windows environments. I also frequently use Adobe applications for hobbies that I have turned into income and that is what has dictated what platforms I use personally. I do the majority of my web and photo work on a Windows (now Win8) desktop simply because I like the file management better in Windows than OS X. I have an Apple laptop that I use for everyday stuff like email and web browsing and some light work. It runs VmWare so when I need Windows I have it.

For email and calendar and contacts management I have used MS Exchange in some flavor the past several years. I currently have my personal email hosted at Office365. I haven't found any other solution that works as well as Exchange on both Windows/OS X and any of the many smartphones I have used (currently iPhone).

I've side-barred many a different Linux distro over the years and always come to the same conclusion, while the OS may be great in many regards, the ****ty copycat applications always leave a lot to be desired.

I do however have 2 VPS's for hosting client sites and they run CentOS and managed by WHM/cPanel. Wouldn't have it any other way.

Of the 3 major platforms MS, Apple and Linux - just about anyone can find a version or flavor to work on their current (or in the case of the86d, un-current) hardware. I think OS choice is less important these days. It's the applications you use that ultimately allow you to get what you need out of a computer. Some can get this from Linux, some cannot. Hell, for some, a smartphone or tablet is all they need.

It's about the right tool for the job.

Any argument beyond that is just fanboy fodder.
Old 10-09-2012, 11:45 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by stilly View Post
What things are the Linux/GNU good for? More specifically, WHAT EXACT things, or if there are a lot of things, How strong is that platform when it comes to movie editing and multimedia production? IE, vid capping, stringing together movies, playing with audio and video, trimming off multimedia files, dvd authoring, etc. Is all of that free or does one need to purchase software?

I am about to put my multimedia system together again. I just found it actually and now I have a few more boxes to move and then I can have a look at start the wipe of the C: and reinstall the OS. (which might be Windows 7 64 instead of windows xp pro 32.)
If you have to ask such basic things it's best that you stay with MAC and MSFT.
Old 10-11-2012, 9:35 AM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nose Nuggets View Post
just depends on your needs, really. Linux works fine for a lot of people.

let me know when you have Skyrim, EVE, and DCS A10-C working and I'll meet you over in Linux land.
Since this thread got resurected I wanted to resurect this quote.

Hi, I ran Skyrim, EVE-Online, but not DCS A10-C on Linux. I also ran L4D, L4D2, Half-Life 2, Everquest 2, Magicka, and more on Linux through Wine.

As with everything, it works, with some gotchas and some configuration work needed in each case. Performance of all the games are superior on Windows 7 to being run with the DX-OGL wrapper, which is logical. Pure OGL games run better, which is to be expected.

Each of the above games often would work better, have better frame rate, no-artifacts on only a particular build of Wine, so the use of multiple wine prefixes was needed.

I don't play games really, any more, let alone MMOs, so I don't have them installed any longer. I have too much to do to spend energy and effort in a digital universe of grinding. If I want entertainment, I want to be entertained not work for it.

As with all things, some of the games required gymnastics to make operable, some would brake on patching of wine, requiring regression, some would break on MS Library updates, some would break on game updates. Most asuredly not for the faint of heart or the average dolt user who is the same as the average dolt driver who gets in car and turns brain off, rather logs on turns brain off.."Can u make our ship go? We need things, things to make us stronger." That describes about 90% of computer users.. The Wadi. Alternativly monkies with a spaceship. All they do is swing on things and fling their crap everywhere, then crash the ship.
...but their exists also in the human heart a depraved taste for equality, which impels the weak to attempt to lower the powerful to their own level, and reduces men to prefer equality in slavery to inequality with freedom.
Old 10-11-2012, 3:11 PM
Banned

Quote:
For those that want to stick with Microsoft, hey, it's your computer, your choice. I was simply describing *my* choice, and some of the reasons for that choice. If you want to run Mac OS, go for it. If you want to run eComStation or OpenBSD, go for it. My choice simply happens to be GNU/Linux, and mostly Ubuntu. It works for me.

One major reason for that choice is the same reason that I'm pro-gun. GNU/Linux gives me the freedom to do what I want with my computer, instead of what Microsoft and Apple tell me that they *allow* me to do with my computer. To me, this is a pro-liberty position. So I had to learn something about GNU/Linux. So what? At work, I had to (re)learn how to use Microsoft Windows with both Vista and Windows 7 came out.

My desktop will very likely not be "pwn3d" again for a very, very long time. And it now does what I want it to do. I like it. :-)
Do you see the problems you created by asking that? You need to leave now and never come back.

LoL. There is a lot of good info floating around though. Imma hafta load up windows 8 now just to have a look, I was happy migrating my media pc to a win7 now that it is no longer supported by microsoft. oh wait what is that? It is still supported. damn, Okay then I will stick with XP pro 64 until they stop... :\
Old 10-11-2012, 3:32 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by NSR500 View Post
If you have to ask such basic things it's best that you stay with MAC and MSFT.

Well then if you do not know, surely there is someone else that does.

What was I thinking by coming here and jumping in? I thought that people actually knew what they were talking about.
Old 10-12-2012, 11:49 AM
Calguns Addict

To answer Stilly:
Yes, linux is surprisingly good at Multimedia Authoring. In fact, it is damn pro. Even more so, we just got a top of the line A/V system worth about 150K which includes broadcasting capability for 200 channels and IP-TV, robotic cameras, and a ton of other things.. oh yeah, all the encoders and hardware run Linux.

If by multimedia authoring: Garage Band, then no.

While linux has desktop level software packages that work and work well they are no where as "easy" no "straight-forward" as any modern Adobe Product or Mac.

For Audio work, linux takes the cake in a studio running Jack and Rack. Like all professional tools they are complex and powerful but take a lot of knowledge to run. You can do almost any kind of editing in the command line with just FFMPEG, cutting, audio, trans-coding, scaling. You just really need to know wtf you are doing.

If you are an average desktop user, get a Mac or run Windows and pay Adobe.
...but their exists also in the human heart a depraved taste for equality, which impels the weak to attempt to lower the powerful to their own level, and reduces men to prefer equality in slavery to inequality with freedom.
Old 10-13-2012, 11:04 AM
Banned

That is what I was looking for. I would like the ability to cut up videos and sync audio to video, make presentations and put together videos after trimming off the ends but it sounds like I might need to play around a bit and do a bit more reading in order to play with linux and be efficient at it. I am not into making music yet but I imagine that I would have to go the way of all samples and playing with tracks and cuts, no biggie, right now I need to get videos trimmed up and posted and then make them into a playable dvd with menu and all. Most of the videos are digital files but I am tasked with capping a vhs tape or two to make the first two.

Thanks, I should stick with windows for right now.
Old 10-13-2012, 2:49 PM
Calguns Addict

Probably a good choice for most people. Despite Canonical's attempts to make "desktop user" interface and system, Linux remains the operating system that does not try and think for you. It will do just about anything you could ever ask it to do, but you will need to know how to tell it to do it.

A user/developer tells Linux what to do.
A user is told by windows how he will do what he wants to do.

My work desktop is Linux, my home desktop is Linux, my work laptop is Linux, my wife's desktop and EEEPC are Linux. I would never tell any of my "end users" to use Linux. They are like the Wadi (retards) or Monkeys with a Space Ship.
Old 10-13-2012, 2:58 PM

been a big fan of linux for years
Old 10-13-2012, 3:35 PM

Left Linux 10 years ago. GNU just wasn't ready for mainstream use. My current laptop is running Windows 7, but I am running Ubuntu in a virtual box. Liking it a lot. About to take the plunge and slick the machine and go straight Linux
Old 10-13-2012, 4:11 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by meaty-btz View Post
A user is told by windows how he will do what he wants to do.
Can you give some examples of this behavior please.
Old 10-13-2012, 5:35 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by tonyxcom View Post
Can you give some examples of this behavior please.
Try playing an encrypted DVD on a secondary output on a laptop with a generic graphics driver.

Play an encrypted DVD at all without buying a non-base OS version (or paying for 3rd party software).

Use a file system other than NTFS, not only are there better, there are faster and more reliable FS available.

Share, mount, and secure an NFS share without wanting to beat your own skull in.

Try to connect into any "Business" network shares on a "Home" edition computer. That is always fun.

Operate an AMP Server, with all the features and security, without buying a "special version".

Operate a Domain Controller without buying a "special version".

Change your desktop environment without 3rd party software.. oh wait you can't. You get it their way with whatever little wiggle room they give you.

Uncouple Explorer from the system with 3rd party DEs, nope.

Move the Start Button (not the bar, the button and it's location on the bar), nope, not without some 3rd party hack.

Dictate the MAC address used by any given network connection no matter what the hardware mac is.

Live a DRM free life.

Live a Spyware (the OS as spyware, not talking about malware in general) Free Life, with no back doors.

Natively and seamlessly encrypt only the users folder and also the hard drive. Possible, but very difficult. I have heard horror stories when it goes sideways.

Used to be scripting as well but MS Power Shell is just that, powerful. I have been a big fan of it. In fact, MS Exchange Server currently does most of it's configuration via PowerShell.

The real reason of course is that Linux is just a Kernel, everything else is 2nd and 3rd party product. Things would get pretty crazy if Windows offered 6+ DEs free, 4+ sound subsystems, etc. By providing the monolithic platform they do their users a service. It requires much less skill to operate windows successfully. It provides a single target for developers. I remember the days before the MS Hardware Labs. In fact, I remember the impact it had on the industry and the company I was working for when for the first time we sent off our hardware to get certified. It was like a whole new world.

The best analogy is Windows is a standard Economy Car, Mac OS-X is a Prius, and Linux is that rat-rod muscle car that it's owner is a mechanic who turns wrenches on every weekend.

The only limit to what I can make Linux do is Me. Anything else is just a matter of knowing how and doing it.

Last edited by meaty-btz; 10-13-2012 at 5:37 PM..
Old 10-13-2012, 6:04 PM
Calguns Addict

I was hoping you would provide an example of...

"A user is told by windows how he will do what he wants to do."
Old 10-13-2012, 6:37 PM
I need a LIFE!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by stix213 View Post
I use Ubuntu Linux on my work laptop, have been since 2007. The only time I use Windows is on my gaming computer. Though I have to say Microsoft did a much better job with Win7 than I expected.
yes they did. after Vista being the disaster it is they had to make up for it. XP was also great.

Thank your neighbor and fellow gun owners for passing Prop 63. For that gun control is a winning legislative agenda.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z6Dj8tdSC1A
contact the governor
https://govnews.ca.gov/gov39mail/mail.php
In Memory of Spc Torres May 5th 2006 al-Hillah, Iraq. I will miss you my friend.
NRA Life Member.
Old 10-15-2012, 9:35 AM
I need a LIFE!!

I'm seriously considering just diving hardcore back into Linux and Unix, not so much because of home computing but because I'm really getting tired of the crappy caliber of windows admins I see these days. Just point-and-click dopes with no real sense of how to use the operating system or networking. Maybe it's too many bootcamps, maybe all the MS Certified Bull**** is too much like public schooling... I don't know. I do know that at least with Linux/Unix you really do have to know your stuff.

Government Official Lies
. F r e e d o m . D i e s .
Old 10-15-2012, 10:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by meaty-btz View Post
Try playing an encrypted DVD on a secondary output on a laptop with a generic graphics driver.

Play an encrypted DVD at all without buying a non-base OS version (or paying for 3rd party software).

Use a file system other than NTFS, not only are there better, there are faster and more reliable FS available.

Share, mount, and secure an NFS share without wanting to beat your own skull in.

Try to connect into any "Business" network shares on a "Home" edition computer. That is always fun.

Operate an AMP Server, with all the features and security, without buying a "special version".

Operate a Domain Controller without buying a "special version".

Change your desktop environment without 3rd party software.. oh wait you can't. You get it their way with whatever little wiggle room they give you.

Uncouple Explorer from the system with 3rd party DEs, nope.

Move the Start Button (not the bar, the button and it's location on the bar), nope, not without some 3rd party hack.

Dictate the MAC address used by any given network connection no matter what the hardware mac is.

Live a DRM free life.

Live a Spyware (the OS as spyware, not talking about malware in general) Free Life, with no back doors.

Natively and seamlessly encrypt only the users folder and also the hard drive. Possible, but very difficult. I have heard horror stories when it goes sideways.

Used to be scripting as well but MS Power Shell is just that, powerful. I have been a big fan of it. In fact, MS Exchange Server currently does most of it's configuration via PowerShell.

The real reason of course is that Linux is just a Kernel, everything else is 2nd and 3rd party product. Things would get pretty crazy if Windows offered 6+ DEs free, 4+ sound subsystems, etc. By providing the monolithic platform they do their users a service. It requires much less skill to operate windows successfully. It provides a single target for developers. I remember the days before the MS Hardware Labs. In fact, I remember the impact it had on the industry and the company I was working for when for the first time we sent off our hardware to get certified. It was like a whole new world.

The best analogy is Windows is a standard Economy Car, Mac OS-X is a Prius, and Linux is that rat-rod muscle car that it's owner is a mechanic who turns wrenches on every weekend.

The only limit to what I can make Linux do is Me. Anything else is just a matter of knowing how and doing it.
None of this is "Windows telling the user what to do," they're simply limitations of the OS, and frankly most people don't need most of those things.

You actually said it yourself, Linux is just a kernel and everything else is third party. You can do most of that stuff in Windows with third party software too, the difference is some of it you have to *OMG THE HORROR* pay for it.

Quote:
This is actually a pretty accurate comparison. If you run Linux, you're going to have to dive in and fix it sooner or later.