Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > OUTDOORS, HUNTING AND SURVIVAL > Hunting and Fishing
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Hunting and Fishing Rifle, Shotgun, Handgun, Archery, Blackpowder Saltwater and Fresh Water

Old 11-07-2017, 8:29 PM

Location: I am located in PA , so forgive me if I am not current on all the CA ways of doing things....
Default Nissian Outboards

Anyone running small Nissian outboards.
My older Evenrude 9.9 2 stroke gave up the ghost awhile ago and have not found a good used replacement all year.
I came across a good deal on a Nissian 9.8 ..... almost too good to be frank but it's almost winter so that may have something to do with it.
It's a 4 stroke which is how the world is going so I've been trying to deal with that
Old 11-07-2017, 8:37 PM

Tohatsu has made Nissan outboards I like them but still use 2 smokes.
Old 11-07-2017, 8:48 PM
Calguns Addict

I've got a 4.5 Nissan on the inflatable. Always starts runs fine. Some lakes don't allow two strokes anymore. I've got a 9.9 Honda we used on our McGregor 25. Probably less than 15 hours on it. Interested? Shoot me an offer.
Old 11-07-2017, 8:57 PM

Location: I am located in PA , so forgive me if I am not current on all the CA ways of doing things....

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevebla View Post
Tohatsu has made Nissan outboards I like them but still use 2 smokes.
Thanks , I'd rather have a 2 stroke for this boat but no good used ones were found this year .... lots of junk though.
Old 11-07-2017, 9:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by M1NM View Post
I've got a 4.5 Nissan on the inflatable. Always starts runs fine. Some lakes don't allow two strokes anymore. I've got a 9.9 Honda we used on our McGregor 25. Probably less than 15 hours on it. Interested? Shoot me an offer.
Been looking for new Hondas only to find out I am no where near any dealers.
Yamaha and Evenrude dealers are a lot closer.
A local sporting goods store does have 2 models .... but those 2 are the only models they sell for some reason.
I am in PA ...... that shipping may kill me on that 9.9
But if going new/4 stroke I suspect a Honda would be the cats meow
Old 11-08-2017, 1:13 AM

I have a Nissan kicker on my boat. They have a very good reputation. Mines been fine.
Old 11-08-2017, 5:35 AM

I have three Tohatsu 4 strokes, they have all been great
Old 11-08-2017, 7:19 AM

I have a Tohatsu 6 HP 4 stroke, runs perfectly, once started. We are using it at about 6,000 feet elevation, probably should install the high elevation jet (s)? to improve the starting. Otherwise, it trolls way down & runs flat out perfectly.

Can't run a carbureted 2 stroke on Lake Tahoe, likely more lakes will be added to the list?
Old 11-08-2017, 7:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dabnis View Post
I have a Tohatsu 6 HP 4 stroke, runs perfectly, once started. We are using it at about 6,000 feet elevation, probably should install the high elevation jet (s)? to improve the starting. Otherwise, it trolls way down & runs flat out perfectly.

Can't run a carbureted 2 stroke on Lake Tahoe, likely more lakes will be added to the list?
What are you pushing with that 6hp?
There is a Honda 5hp 4 stroke that would be a dream to get and use ....... but I wish they'd let me test run it first.
I'm pushing a 14ft jon with 2 adults , the front is decked over ... there is no flooring but have 2 batteries and 2 electric trollers along with rods , beer , anchor , beer , lots of tackle , and beer.
I watched a youtube of a 5hp nissan on a 14ft jon with what looked like 2 grown kids and little else in it and it seemed they moved like my 9.9 did.
But I can't get over the feeling that the 5hp 4 stroke Honda would barley get out of it's own way on mine.
For the sake of conversation I picked up a real cheap deal on a ESKA 2.5 2 stroker that I put on it just thinking it would be better than killin my battery on an electric motor until I get another gas motor.
Obviously it didn't do well but it pushed it as fast as my electric troller but with so much more noise that I decided to ditch it.
I'd hate buying that $1600 5hp only to find out I am so unhappy with it ... but I can't help but wonder if it'd do for me.
Old 11-08-2017, 8:58 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:

Changing the jetting would probably be a good idea. There should be an air screw that is pretty easy to make some adjustment without digging into it, just dont go crazy with it one way or another.
Old 11-09-2017, 5:39 AM

Well, we repowered a heavy 20' ocean fishing boat with a 150 hp yammy 4 stroke. We had traditionally run a 250 or 225 two smoke. The four stroke is a totally different motor. It is so torquey it doesn't bog down under a heavy load or chop. It is better in rough seas, never dropping rpm's when muscling through the slop like the old Johnson's did. If people are saying the smaller 4 gets it done I would believe them. Other than weight the 4 strokes are superior. Cleaner,quieter, more economical, more reliable. The only thing we lost was a little top end in flat calm conditions. However the 4 is a better driving motor 98% of the time.
Old 11-09-2017, 7:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WMG View Post
What are you pushing with that 6hp?
There is a Honda 5hp 4 stroke that would be a dream to get and use ....... but I wish they'd let me test run it first.
I'm pushing a 14ft jon with 2 adults , the front is decked over ... there is no flooring but have 2 batteries and 2 electric trollers along with rods , beer , anchor , beer , lots of tackle , and beer.
I watched a youtube of a 5hp nissan on a 14ft jon with what looked like 2 grown kids and little else in it and it seemed they moved like my 9.9 did.
But I can't get over the feeling that the 5hp 4 stroke Honda would barley get out of it's own way on mine.
For the sake of conversation I picked up a real cheap deal on a ESKA 2.5 2 stroker that I put on it just thinking it would be better than killin my battery on an electric motor until I get another gas motor.
Obviously it didn't do well but it pushed it as fast as my electric troller but with so much more noise that I decided to ditch it.
I'd hate buying that $1600 5hp only to find out I am so unhappy with it ... but I can't help but wonder if it'd do for me.
"Pushing"? A Western 12 foot Jon boat, with a 60" beam. With my wife & I in it, with all our gear, I would guess the total weight is about 700 to 800 pounds. At full throttle it gets up on a plane & clocks about 11 MPH on the GPS, at a bit over 6,000 feet elevation. Previously had a Honda 4 stroke 2 HP which pushed it at about 6 MPH.

The 5 HP Honda weighed about the same as the Tohatsu 6HP, so I went with the Tohatsu.
Old 11-09-2017, 7:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 180ls1 View Post
Changing the jetting would probably be a good idea. There should be an air screw that is pretty easy to make some adjustment without digging into it, just dont go crazy with it one way or another.
Yes, the air screw is capped with a metal cap, decided not to fool with it as it runs perfectly at all speeds. Finally figured out a starting drill that works, most of the time, just using less choke, especially when the weather is warm.

I will likely change to the high altitude jets next spring. We used to take it down to about 2,000 feet, so I was hesitant to re-jet it leaner, not wanting to burn valves or a piston.
Old 11-09-2017, 11:25 AM

WMG, our boat:

Old 11-09-2017, 2:58 PM
Veteran Member

That 9.9 Nissan is a good little motor..buy it if its cheap enough..My buddy runs one and he's real happy with it on his 14' Valco....I personally prefer Yamahas over all else in outboards
Old 11-09-2017, 3:11 PM

I just sold a boat that had a 40hp Nissan (Tohatsu) 2-stroke manual start motor on it. It was a 1984 year and probably had several thousand hours on it. I just changed the impeller on it and kept the gas fresh and that thing just ran and ran and ran. Definitely the most low-maintenance dependable outboard I've ever had. It could sit for an entire year and then start on the 3rd or 4th pull. But it was a 2-stroke....
Old 11-09-2017, 6:51 PM

Quote:
"Pushing"? A Western 12 foot Jon boat, with a 60" beam. With my wife & I in it, with all our gear, I would guess the total weight is about 700 to 800 pounds. At full throttle it gets up on a plane & clocks about 11 MPH on the GPS, at a bit over 6,000 feet elevation. Previously had a Honda 4 stroke 2 HP which pushed it at about 6 MPH.

The 5 HP Honda weighed about the same as the Tohatsu 6HP, so I went with the Tohatsu.
Thanks , yes "pushing" .... it's a term we use ... as in it "pushes" our boat.
That's not bad and something I could live with although giving it an honest thought , I would guess I'd have a bit more weight overall esp with 2 deep cycle batteries and the front decking... but still has me asking myself "would it do?"
I think it may be close to either being a winner .. or being a looser
A 9.9 keeps me for sure on the winner side of the question.
But that 5hp Honda is just so cute that I'd love to have one and the 9.9 honda is a bit bigger than the 2 stroke evenrude I had and would love to find another one of .... but only junk has been out there so far.
And it's not even cheap junk I might add.

When I was playing with that eska 2.5 it pushed about as fast as a wide open 30 pound thrust electric on mine ....... but was like walking around with a weedeater up against your ear.

Last edited by WMG; 11-09-2017 at 7:00 PM..
Old 11-09-2017, 6:57 PM

Thanks for the other replies also , got an appointment to look at the 9.8 Nissan the weekend. The largest motor I ever had was a2 stroke 88spl on my fish/ski boat , that was a Johnson ...... 13 yrs it needed an impeller one time .....but a bit big for the jon boat
Old 11-09-2017, 7:43 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Yes, the air screw is capped with a metal cap, decided not to fool with it as it runs perfectly at all speeds. Finally figured out a starting drill that works, most of the time, just using less choke, especially when the weather is warm.

I will likely change to the high altitude jets next spring. We used to take it down to about 2,000 feet, so I was hesitant to re-jet it leaner, not wanting to burn valves or a piston.
Metal cap over the air screw? Never heard of that. I guess you learn something new every day.
Old 11-10-2017, 7:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 180ls1 View Post
Metal cap over the air screw? Never heard of that. I guess you learn something new every day.
Yes, I guess the EPA doesn't want anyone to "Screw" with it. A repair shop owner posted about how to remove it, something like drilling a small hole in it then putting a small self tapping screw in the hole & prying it out.

After many decades of being a "Tinkerer", I have finally learned "If it runs well, don't screw with it", or something like that. As mentioned, I will likely go with the high altitude jets, now that we are not taking it to lower elevations.
Old 11-10-2017, 7:40 AM

Quote:
Thanks , yes "pushing" .... it's a term we use ... as in it "pushes" our boat.
That's not bad and something I could live with although giving it an honest thought , I would guess I'd have a bit more weight overall esp with 2 deep cycle batteries and the front decking... but still has me asking myself "would it do?"
I think it may be close to either being a winner .. or being a looser
A 9.9 keeps me for sure on the winner side of the question.
But that 5hp Honda is just so cute that I'd love to have one and the 9.9 honda is a bit bigger than the 2 stroke evenrude I had and would love to find another one of .... but only junk has been out there so far.
And it's not even cheap junk I might add.

When I was playing with that eska 2.5 it pushed about as fast as a wide open 30 pound thrust electric on mine ....... but was like walking around with a weedeater up against your ear.
IIRC, the 9.9 only weighs about 25, or so, pounds more than the 6 HP, & you can get it with electric start. Also, being a twin the 9.9 may be smoother at speed. The 6 does vibrate a bit at speed, but nothing severe.

"Honda"? I have had Honda cars, motorcycles, outboard, & generators. In a nutshell, "Perfect" The only reason I got the Tohatsu was the Honda 5HP weighed the same as the Tohatsu 6 HP.
Old 11-10-2017, 11:01 AM

WMG, Not trying to sell you on the 6 HP, but just remembered that for every 1,000 feet of elevation an engine loses about 2 to 3% of its power. In my case that would be about a 12 to 18% loss, meaning my 6 HP motor may only be putting out about 5.4, or so HP. Haven't done a speed test on the boat at sea level so am not sure how much actual difference the 6,000 foot elevation effects the performance? Just a thought.
Old 11-10-2017, 7:14 PM

Quote:
WMG, Not trying to sell you on the 6 HP, but just remembered that for every 1,000 feet of elevation an engine loses about 2 to 3% of its power. In my case that would be about a 12 to 18% loss, meaning my 6 HP motor may only be putting out about 5.4, or so HP. Haven't done a speed test on the boat at sea level so am not sure how much actual difference the 6,000 foot elevation effects the performance? Just a thought.
I had considered your difference in elevation as a hindrance but had no idea just how much.
Tell ya what ... I got to looking at 6's on line and that led me to the 8's and then 9.8's and then the 9.9's.
You know how it is.
And I do have a few Tohatsu dealers around me.
I think there isn't much reason for me to go with their 9.9
BUT either the 8 or the 9.8 has me interested.
The 8hp is about $400 more online than the 6hp , which makes it harder for me to go with the 6hp and hope all goes well... and the 9.8 about $200 more than the 8hp.
The 8hp also is less then 25 pounds heavier than the 6hp
Plus I get a 2 banger instead of 1 and that's all the more nice esp when limited to 4 strokes.......
The 9.8 is about the same as the 8hp weight wise since they only upgraded the carbs and prop.
With your experience with the 6hp , I think I can't lose with the 8hp
The 9.8 a guy is selling that I am going to look at "maybe" would then be not such a great deal dollar wise if compared to a NEW 8hp,
I THINK I just sold myself on a new 8hp.
With winter coming maybe I can slap the local dealers around some and see what prices they have.
I appreciate all you input into this and found it useful in figuring out where I wanted to go with this.
Old 11-11-2017, 7:34 AM

Quote:
I had considered your difference in elevation as a hindrance but had no idea just how much.
Tell ya what ... I got to looking at 6's on line and that led me to the 8's and then 9.8's and then the 9.9's.
You know how it is.
And I do have a few Tohatsu dealers around me.
I think there isn't much reason for me to go with their 9.9
BUT either the 8 or the 9.8 has me interested.
The 8hp is about $400 more online than the 6hp , which makes it harder for me to go with the 6hp and hope all goes well... and the 9.8 about $200 more than the 8hp.
The 8hp also is less then 25 pounds heavier than the 6hp
Plus I get a 2 banger instead of 1 and that's all the more nice esp when limited to 4 strokes.......
The 9.8 is about the same as the 8hp weight wise since they only upgraded the carbs and prop.
With your experience with the 6hp , I think I can't lose with the 8hp
The 9.8 a guy is selling that I am going to look at "maybe" would then be not such a great deal dollar wise if compared to a NEW 8hp,
I THINK I just sold myself on a new 8hp.
With winter coming maybe I can slap the local dealers around some and see what prices they have.
I appreciate all you input into this and found it useful in figuring out where I wanted to go with this.
So many choices. Looks like the 9.9 has battery less fuel injection, which I think might be a plus? Not too much weight difference between the 8 & 9.8 & 9.9. " A man can never have too much horsepower" Good luck on your search.

Due to a bad shoulder, I am considering going to an electric start motor, probably the 8 for a bit less weight & enough power, for me, anyway.
Old 11-11-2017, 9:22 AM

The Tohastsu 9.9 is about 30ish pounds over my old 9.9 Evenrude.
The Tohastsu 9.8 and 8hp are about 7-8ish pounds over the old Evenrude.
For me , that extra 30 pounds of the 9.9 Tohastu when added on top of a full gas can and deep cycle batteries along with my weight in the back adds up.

I was planning on avoiding the electric start as I really like good deep cycles and don't want to have to use a so called "dual purpose" or start off my deep cycles ..... but I'll never say pull starting is fun , esp when it's being finicky that morning.........I remember one occasion in some white caps I came close to dumping the motor into a watery grave.......maybe it is time for me to live like the rich and famous and look into battery start or just start sitting the wife in the back
Old 11-11-2017, 10:32 AM

Quote:
The Tohastsu 9.9 is about 30ish pounds over my old 9.9 Evenrude.
The Tohastsu 9.8 and 8hp are about 7-8ish pounds over the old Evenrude.
For me , that extra 30 pounds of the 9.9 Tohastu when added on top of a full gas can and deep cycle batteries along with my weight in the back adds up.

I was planning on avoiding the electric start as I really like good deep cycles and don't want to have to use a so called "dual purpose" or start off my deep cycles ..... but I'll never say pull starting is fun , esp when it's being finicky that morning.........I remember one occasion in some white caps I came close to dumping the motor into a watery grave.......maybe it is time for me to live like the rich and famous and look into battery start or just start sitting the wife in the back
For many years I had a 35 HP Evinrude 2 stroke. Had a group 27 deep cycle battery for the electric trolling motor, used it as a starting battery for the Evinrude, worked just fine. My Honda 3,000 watt generator, about 200 cc's,
(about the same displacement as the 9HP Tohatsu outboards) has a very small 8 Amp hour battery that spins it over just fine.

"Electric start is more civilized" Enjoy your new motor, life is short.
Old 11-11-2017, 2:33 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

I have a johnson 6hp long shaft 2 stoke I put a new impeller in and stored it. It was on back of a sailboat and rarely used.
Old 11-12-2017, 7:37 PM

Quote:
For many years I had a 35 HP Evinrude 2 stroke. Had a group 27 deep cycle battery for the electric trolling motor, used it as a starting battery for the Evinrude, worked just fine. My Honda 3,000 watt generator, about 200 cc's,
(about the same displacement as the 9HP Tohatsu outboards) has a very small 8 Amp hour battery that spins it over just fine.

"Electric start is more civilized" Enjoy your new motor, life is short.
Oh gotcha , I'm still thinking of the past with the 88hp and the car battery that went with it.
My cycle battery should turn it over and it's still good and then buy a new one for the bike.
It's what? , 5-6 pounds and I could mount that up and out of the way......
Now things are coming together ....
Just think ...me with a battery start on my fishing boat ..... might have to start wearing my good clothes fishing , maybe comb my hair before I go out and get new friends and start acting respectable.
Old 11-12-2017, 7:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by edgerly779 View Post
I have a johnson 6hp long shaft 2 stoke I put a new impeller in and stored it. It was on back of a sailboat and rarely used.
Looking to sell? I'm in PA. "east coast"
And I would only be in the market for a short shaft , but thanks.
I might try getting by with a 6hp 2 stroke if everything was right
Old 11-13-2017, 7:36 AM

Quote:
Oh gotcha , I'm still thinking of the past with the 88hp and the car battery that went with it.
My cycle battery should turn it over and it's still good and then buy a new one for the bike.
It's what? , 5-6 pounds and I could mount that up and out of the way......
Now things are coming together ....
Just think ...me with a battery start on my fishing boat ..... might have to start wearing my good clothes fishing , maybe comb my hair before I go out and get new friends and start acting respectable.
Maybe shave, too?

Yes, the generator battery is small & light. Not sure why you can't just tap onto the trolling motor battery, unless you run it flat during the day?

In any event, you should be able to hand start an 8 or 9.9. I used to hand start our 50 HP V4 Evinrude 2 stroke & never weighed more than 155 pounds, "It is all in the wrists"
Old 11-13-2017, 7:14 PM

Quote:
Maybe shave, too?

Yes, the generator battery is small & light. Not sure why you can't just tap onto the trolling motor battery, unless you run it flat during the day?

In any event, you should be able to hand start an 8 or 9.9. I used to hand start our 50 HP V4 Evinrude 2 stroke & never weighed more than 155 pounds, "It is all in the wrists"
Shaving? Ugh , don't even get me started there. Gets to the point it's so thick I can't stand it but shaving it takes way too long and too much hassle.

I can run my batteries pretty low esp if I got some head wind while trolling or have to fight the winds to stay off the banks.
I'm sure I could grab a good cycle battery and should it fail there's still the rope. I buy good batteries for the cycle since I'm way too old to be push starting a 600 pound bike anymore and there's never a hill around when you need one.
Unless you're at the bottom of it.

We had to pull start my friends boat the day we took it fishing and he had left the bilge plug in from the last time. I don't recall the hp size but it was an 18ft Chris Craft so.............
I couldn't figure out why his truck was being such a dog towing that boat up one of the hills.
We get to the launch and un-cover the boat.
I'm telling you there was 2 feet of water in it at least ... from the level of the floor , stuff was floating everywhere .... worm boxes , mountain dew bottles , all kinds of junk.
He even had water in the gas.
Supposedly his new $$$ cover was to be water proof ..... it wasn't obviously and the boat filled up cause he left the bilge plug in because he was afraid he would forget to put it in if he took it out........
We were about an hour and a half from home.
Battery was dead, had to pull and clean the plugs and listen to this , you won't believe it ....he actually pulled the fuel line and pumped out the water from the fuel tank until he got to the gas ,I kid you not , I was jumping up and down claiming that it would never work but it did , the dumb thing actually started and we went fishing.

AND he drove the boat off the trailer and while he was in the boat docking it , I was on the dock and he when he hit the dock , he clips the bowline and hands it to me , he steps out of the boat to go and put the truck away.
Well , when he stepped out it pushed the boat away from the dock so I pull on the rope he attached to pull it back in ........ When i pull , I hear "click" and somehow I got the whole rope in my hand , clip and all and the boats still going out to sea.
I'm in better shape than him by a long shot ..... and I'm thinking I can't jump in to that boat it's too far ... and it is.
Plus it's too cold for a splash down.
So I yell hey %$^*(&^$ your boat is floating away.
He turns around and walks to the edge of the dock .... not even a running start and leaps at the boat.
I would have bet anything he was going to splash down ....... but that big dummy tackled the boat and only his shoe string grazed the water ...... it was the most amazing thing I ever saw ...he landed belly 1st on the sidewall .......I laughed so hard I doubled over on the dock my side hurt.... I swear , he must have caught an up draft or something.
It was like the Bionic Man.
Kinda made up for a crappy day of fishing ..................
Old 11-14-2017, 7:31 AM

Quote:
Shaving? Ugh , don't even get me started there. Gets to the point it's so thick I can't stand it but shaving it takes way too long and too much hassle.

I can run my batteries pretty low esp if I got some head wind while trolling or have to fight the winds to stay off the banks.
I'm sure I could grab a good cycle battery and should it fail there's still the rope. I buy good batteries for the cycle since I'm way too old to be push starting a 600 pound bike anymore and there's never a hill around when you need one.
Unless you're at the bottom of it.

We had to pull start my friends boat the day we took it fishing and he had left the bilge plug in from the last time. I don't recall the hp size but it was an 18ft Chris Craft so.............
I couldn't figure out why his truck was being such a dog towing that boat up one of the hills.
We get to the launch and un-cover the boat.
I'm telling you there was 2 feet of water in it at least ... from the level of the floor , stuff was floating everywhere .... worm boxes , mountain dew bottles , all kinds of junk.
He even had water in the gas.
Supposedly his new $$$ cover was to be water proof ..... it wasn't obviously and the boat filled up cause he left the bilge plug in because he was afraid he would forget to put it in if he took it out........
We were about an hour and a half from home.
Battery was dead, had to pull and clean the plugs and listen to this , you won't believe it ....he actually pulled the fuel line and pumped out the water from the fuel tank until he got to the gas ,I kid you not , I was jumping up and down claiming that it would never work but it did , the dumb thing actually started and we went fishing.

AND he drove the boat off the trailer and while he was in the boat docking it , I was on the dock and he when he hit the dock , he clips the bowline and hands it to me , he steps out of the boat to go and put the truck away.
Well , when he stepped out it pushed the boat away from the dock so I pull on the rope he attached to pull it back in ........ When i pull , I hear "click" and somehow I got the whole rope in my hand , clip and all and the boats still going out to sea.
I'm in better shape than him by a long shot ..... and I'm thinking I can't jump in to that boat it's too far ... and it is.
Plus it's too cold for a splash down.
So I yell hey %$^*(&^$ your boat is floating away.
He turns around and walks to the edge of the dock .... not even a running start and leaps at the boat.
I would have bet anything he was going to splash down ....... but that big dummy tackled the boat and only his shoe string grazed the water ...... it was the most amazing thing I ever saw ...he landed belly 1st on the sidewall .......I laughed so hard I doubled over on the dock my side hurt.... I swear , he must have caught an up draft or something.
It was like the Bionic Man.
Kinda made up for a crappy day of fishing ..................
I always leave the drain plug in after forgetting to put it back in, one time. Fortunately, we have been able to keep some of our boats inside. "Electric start"? Yes, I think I see an 8 HP with electric start on the horizon. I run our generator once a month. The electric start is light years ahead of the old manual start unit. "Don't work hard, work smart", or something like that.
Old 11-14-2017, 4:21 PM

Quote:
I always leave the drain plug in after forgetting to put it back in, one time. Fortunately, we have been able to keep some of our boats inside. "Electric start"? Yes, I think I see an 8 HP with electric start on the horizon. I run our generator once a month. The electric start is light years ahead of the old manual start unit. "Don't work hard, work smart", or something like that.
When I was a kid I remember once dad jumping in the water and putting the plug in after backing in the boat ........after that he kept the plug with his boat keys.
So , I kept my plug with my boat keys with my big boat , and I would always check to see if I had power before hooking up the trailer .... at which time , in went the plug.
On my 14ft jon , I keep the plug attached to the lock that I use to lock up the boats cubby hole.
I have to get into that cubby before doing any launching , so the plugs goes in at that time.
So long as you have the discipline to do it and not just set the plug aside , it works real well for me. "knock on wood"
My little 11ft jon has no plug at all , so I just flip that over upside down when done.
This fall I just moved my 14 ft jon into the garage for the first boat I ever kept indoors.
I didn't feel like wrapping it for winter , etc and tarping/untarping and all that during the summer/spring/fall was getting old.
So I completely redid the garage to make it fit and it will be stored in there between uses during the on season.
And I am thrilled , I can go look at it and tinker anytime I want with it now.
Old 11-14-2017, 5:57 PM

Keeping boats inside is good. We bought this Glaspar Avalon new in 1958, my daughter & son in law have it now. Kept it inside almost all of its life, still sound & looking good.

Old 11-14-2017, 10:27 PM

Quote:
Keeping boats inside is good. We bought this Glaspar Avalon new in 1958, my daughter & son in law have it now. Kept it inside almost all of its life, still sound & looking good.

Your son in law must not be too bad .... as far as son in laws are concerned
And I bet that evenrude 35 has been a good motor.
Old 11-15-2017, 7:29 AM

Quote:
Your son in law must not be too bad .... as far as son in laws are concerned
And I bet that evenrude 35 has been a good motor.
He is as good as I could ask for. In the picture he is on the right, & our grand son is on the left. Bought the 35 new in 1985, ran perfectly up until about a year ago, lots & lots of hours on it, mostly in the open ocean. It developed a high speed stumble, likely fuel related. SIL got tired of chasing the gremlin & replaced it with a 40 HP Yamaha 4 stroke, with fuel injection, no more 2 stroke smoke.
Old 11-15-2017, 3:16 PM

Quote:
He is as good as I could ask for. In the picture he is on the right, & our grand son is on the left. Bought the 35 new in 1985, ran perfectly up until about a year ago, lots & lots of hours on it, mostly in the open ocean. It developed a high speed stumble, likely fuel related. SIL got tired of chasing the gremlin & replaced it with a 40 HP Yamaha 4 stroke, with fuel injection, no more 2 stroke smoke.
That is great.
My S.O.L is a bum and I don't mean that in a loving way or say that because he is my S.O.L.
But the daughter is a gown woman ... at least in the eyes of the law and she worked extremely hard to put herself where she is , so what can ya' do.
I really enjoyed your pics , they take me back a little and I see a little of my history in them that I really have no photos of.
I remember the 1st boat I was on , my paps ,it was a big ol wooden hull cabin cruiser ..........you're Glaspar Avalon photo reminded me of my dads 1st boat and the lake....................... a lot of things/times I wish I had photos of ..... so I re-live a little through yours.
Old 11-15-2017, 3:24 PM

Quote:
That is great.
My S.O.L is a bum and I don't mean that in a loving way or say that because he is my S.O.L.
But the daughter is a gown woman ... at least in the eyes of the law and she worked extremely hard to put herself where she is , so what can ya' do.
I really enjoyed your pics , they take me back a little and I see a little of my history in them that I really have no photos of.
I remember the 1st boat I was on , my paps ,it was a big ol wooden hull cabin cruiser ..........you're Glaspar Avalon photo reminded me of my dads 1st boat and the lake....................... a lot of things/times I wish I had photos of ..... so I re-live a little through yours.
Glad you enjoyed the pictures. Your description fits our younger daughter to a "T", I feel your pain.
Old 11-15-2017, 3:32 PM

WMG, a picture of my Dad & I venture into commercial salmon fishing. Good thing we kept our day jobs, learned a lot & scared the hell out of me many times.

I was afraid of these:

Last edited by Dabnis; 11-15-2017 at 3:37 PM..
Old 11-15-2017, 5:26 PM

WMG, lest I bring the wrath of the moderators down on my head, here is a link to our Photobook pages, hunting, fishing, motorcycles, boats & other stuff.

http://s641.photobucket.com/user/ptn...?sort=3&page=1