Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > SPECIALTY FORUMS > Calguns LEOs
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Calguns LEOs LEOs; chat, kibitz and relax. Non-LEOs; have a questions for a cop? Ask it here, in a CIVIL manner.

Old 03-19-2018, 2:45 PM

Default Hip holster vs. Thigh holster?

I currently run a hip holster but the draw is uncomfortably high and my duty belt is getting rather crowded. I was given an adapter for my current holster to make it a thigh rig. I was told that it made drawing easier but retention from a bad guy could be an issue because you can’t put as much weight and squeeze your body down onto the weapon.

Does anyone here run a thigh holster and are there any long term drawbacks?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 03-19-2018, 3:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sikvenum93 View Post
I currently run a hip holster but the draw is uncomfortably high and my duty belt is getting rather crowded. I was given an adapter for my current holster to make it a thigh rig. I was told that it made drawing easier but retention from a bad guy could be an issue because you can’t put as much weight and squeeze your body down onto the weapon.

Does anyone here run a thigh holster and are there any long term drawbacks?

I have a drop holster for my range belt/SHTF belt, but not my duty belt. I run a mid-ride belt loop for my holster, and most companies make low-ride loops for their duty holsters. I run Safariland holsters and the low-ride runs about 1.5”, I believe, lower and that may be a good enough compromise for you. I’d check that out.

Last edited by Kestryll; 03-19-2018 at 8:58 PM..
Old 03-19-2018, 3:54 PM

Moving around in vehicles is not ideal with a thigh rig. But to be fair I'm a big guy.

Look into some hardware that drops the holster down a couple inches or so. I believe the correct term for this is Drop Offset Holster (DOH) hardware or adapters or some such. It will add hardware to allow the attachment to occur at the hip, however it will drop the holster down to allow for an easier draw. This is more common for folks that want their draws to more easily clear armor or something, however can make the holster stick out more.

Good luck.
Old 03-19-2018, 4:11 PM

https://www.safariland.com/products/...zt8r10clig3zr2
Old 03-19-2018, 4:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by esy View Post
I have a drop holster for my range belt/SHTF belt, but not my duty belt. I run a mid-ride belt loop for my holster, and most companies make low-ride loops for their duty holsters. I run Safariland holsters and the low-ride runs about 1.5”, I believe, lower and that may be a good enough compromise for you. I’d check that out.

I run a level 3 Safariland low ride atm. With my current draw I constantly rub my thumb knuckle against my armor and it’s pretty annoying along with the unnatural feel of the draw.

Old 03-19-2018, 5:06 PM
Veteran Member

I have a drop holster now; it's okay. Don't like that it gets knocked around in the car more (but on the other hand seatbelt doesn't get caught on it like is would on my hip holster every now and then) and don't like that it doesn't always sit exactly in the same place.

Draw is definitely different and lower; some of my friends say they are a tad faster with it.. I've had mine for about a year; not sure that I am any faster than before. I would say try a drop for your hip holster before switching over but it appears you have already done that.
Stay classy, CGF and Calguns.
Old 03-19-2018, 6:09 PM
Veteran Member

Sikvenum, drop legs suck during foot chases. And they tend to pull your duty belt down. I prefer wearing the holster on the belt, unless I'm wearing my police state gear that makes that impossible, in which case obviously I have to wear a drop leg.

Last edited by Kestryll; 03-19-2018 at 8:59 PM..
Old 03-19-2018, 6:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sikvenum93 View Post
I run a level 3 Safariland low ride atm. With my current draw I constantly rub my thumb knuckle against my armor and it’s pretty annoying along with the unnatural feel of the draw.

Do you have the QLS on the holster? That sets the holster about 1/2” to 1” off of your hip. Mine did.
Old 03-19-2018, 7:00 PM

The lower the holster, the sloppier and less trained the officers seem. I’ve seen some ridiculously low and loose rigs. Sad but true.

I run a safariland ALS I modified to be just low enough to clear gear. If you put some thought into your gear layout, it works fine. And you don’t look like an inexperienced but overzealous security guard.

RIP SGT Mark Allen RLTW! I love you brother. ‘Til Valhall’...
Old 03-19-2018, 7:25 PM

I always carried on the hip. If I had to do it all over again I would carry a swivel holster. I'm sure my back would agree. I used a thigh rig and I couldn't stand it. It bounced around and would move around my thigh. Now this was 10+ years ago and I'm sure things have gotten better.

My preference is swivel, hip and lastly thigh.....as of 10 years ago.
Old 03-20-2018, 9:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by esy View Post
Do you have the QLS on the holster? That sets the holster about 1/2” to 1” off of your hip. Mine did.

No I don’t. I’ll get one and try it out.

Old 03-20-2018, 9:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by IrishJoe3 View Post
Sikvenum, drop legs suck during foot chases. And they tend to pull your duty belt down. I prefer wearing the holster on the belt, unless I'm wearing my police state gear that makes that impossible, in which case obviously I have to wear a drop leg.

You’re right about it pulling my belt down. It even makes my belt look crooked.

Old 03-20-2018, 1:08 PM

Usually, my regular belt holster was fine when I carried any pistol without a weapon light. With the light, I had a hard time drawing my pistol because the light was getting caught on the holster. I got an about 3 inch drop extension and that solved the problem. When I had to run, it did not bother my legs like some other drop leg holsters.
Old 03-20-2018, 1:41 PM
Veteran Member

One of these threads came out some time ago and some folks here recommended using the ZAK Tool belt attachment as the QD to the dropleg panel.

I ended up finding a company, Down Range Gear, that adapted their QD swivel parts to the Safariland shroud. I tested it on my range rig and my late Sergeant tested my system in the field. He liked it and ordered a setup for himself. The MOLLE panel slides onto 2.25-2.75" duty belts without issue. The swivel prevents binding during movement and seated positions.

It is also important to utilize the single strap shroud because the dual strap is obnoxiously long and rides too low. You pretty much need adjust it to the point where it clears your chest rig and no further. The leg strap should be all up in your crouch. The single strap shroud is tighter and prevents shifting of the system, although you still need to wear it fairly tight.

Otherwise, the Safariland low adapter (I think it's the 2" drop) is what I'd use. Some folks have even adapted a leg strap to the low adapter to mimic a drop leg. I've seen a few folks use a dropleg for their tasers on their weak side. Maybe they have better alternatives.

Down Range Gear dropleg adapter:

My range rig with smaller, single strap shroud and QLS to swap systems:

I also run the 2" drop plate on my other range belt depending on what were doing.

Radian & Aero Pistol lowers, Folsom

Last edited by code_blue; 03-20-2018 at 1:48 PM..
Old 03-20-2018, 6:10 PM

I ran a drop leg for my taser for a while and didn’t mind much because it cleared some space on my belt, but I kept the thigh straps loose to mitigate the way it pulled down.

Thigh rig in the car for me wasn’t that much of an issue as I’m right handed so taser was on the left, not sure how I’d feel about a drop on the right leg.

By the time you figure out what works, something else will come along that looks like it’ll work better and then you’ll have the same dilemma...good luck.

Old 03-22-2018, 8:03 PM

Another option is from S&S precision. It is a belt mounted holster shank with 3 levels of adjustment. You can attach a Safariland holster and also the QLS.
https://www.sandsprecision.com/weapo...ender-grt.html
Old 04-02-2018, 7:09 PM
Firearms Enthusiast
CGN Contributor

The only legitimate reason I've ever found to wear a thigh holster for duty use is when wearing external body armor, usually with magazine and utility pouches, that would prevent a normal draw from a standard hip holster. I think (and I'm sure there are those who disagree!) that patrol officers, in a standard concealable body armor and duty uniform, are best served by a mid or low ride hip holster.

If the normal high or mid-ride duty holster are uncomfortable to draw from due to your body dynamics (maybe you've got really long arms or something?) then invest in a low-ride or slightly dropped holster. Swivel holsters and thigh holsters are difficult to draw from when seated in a patrol car. You should be able to draw competently and quickly at any point in your shift - even if it's sitting in your car at a stoplight. Also, thigh holsters tend to move around a lot more than holsters mounted securely to your duty belt. This makes it hard to have a fast, smooth, predictable draw. Law enforcement is all about working in dynamic situations -- so you should try to make as many things as possible boringly predictable -- including your pistol draw. It should just happen, the same way, every time.

I've only ever carried a thigh holster when serving on a SWAT team -- and then only out of necessity due to the constraints of the body armor and gear.
Old 04-05-2018, 7:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JM2012 View Post
If the normal high or mid-ride duty holster are uncomfortable to draw from due to your body dynamics (maybe you've got really long arms or something?) then invest in a low-ride or slightly dropped holster.

When I was first issued gear after getting hired, the holster I was issued came from a former officer that was significantly taller than me, so I had the opposite issue.

But I completely agree that for the most part without being encumbered by extra gear, or external vest carrier, standard holster is my preference for duty weapon.

Last edited by hmvan; 04-05-2018 at 7:55 AM..
Old 04-05-2018, 8:56 AM

When I was working, I used a dropdown offset holster which worked well for me. I never liked the mid or high rise except for off-duty carry. On certain assignments, I wore a thigh rig, but cinched it up as high as it would go with the thigh strap next to my groin. We didn't do any training on the ground with that kit though, but since it was essentially only 2" below my normal carry position, I would think it would be easy to protect. The downside to a thigh rig is the position of the holster when seated. Though it was unlikely I'd have to draw from that position, it always made me uncomfortable in that a draw seated would require a lot of movement before accomplishing the task.

Shakespeare: Julius Caesar, Act III, Scene I