Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > SPECIALTY FORUMS > Calgunners in Service
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Calgunners in Service This forum is a place for our active duty and deployed members to share, request and have a bit of home where ever they are.

Old 05-16-2018, 9:24 AM

Default Does the Guard have RFX type status for units?

BLUF: Do average California NG units drill more than one weekend a month two weeks a year? If you go to an additional duty school are you expected to still go to your Annual Training?

I ask, because I am planning out how I'm going to make it 20 years in the USAR.

In order to do so I need to figure out how I can navigate avoiding RFX units for the remainder of my time. I'm now looking into the possibility of switching branches or going into the Guard when my USAR time is up.

I am however aware that if I do make the switch I will lose all my institutional knowledge about the USAR system, and have to start from scratch. So it will do me no good to make the switch only to be completely blind in a system that is no better than the USAR. It looks like I'm just better off walking away.

Career Goal:
Make LTC (O5) in an environment that is 1 weekend a month, and 2-3 weeks a year. If I deploy, I deploy, that's how it works. I just cannot do 7 weeks a year plus 1 weekend in a non deployment environment.

I'm counting the days till I'm out.

Whatever I lose in a USAR retirement is going to be more than made up for in my civilian life when I get all my weekends back plus an entire month or more.