Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > CONCEALED CARRY/LICENSE TO CARRY > Calguns Concealed Carry County Information Forum
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Calguns Concealed Carry County Information Forum Information on how to get a LTC in yourCounty

Old 08-12-2017, 3:45 PM

Default San Diego CCW

Since all the threads on San Diego are too old to comment on, I thought we needed a new one.

My understanding of the current SD Sheriff Department's "may issue" policy, pretty much boils down to this:

Good cause has to be circumstances which would make a person a specific target in contrast to a random one. Applicants are required to demonstrate the specific situation that places them in danger and submit evidence of current incidents which documents their claim.

So, other than a specific documented threat, does that pretty much cover it?
Old 08-15-2017, 5:25 AM
Veteran Member

I suggest you contact Michael Schwartz at San Diego County Gun Owners. He could probably et you more clarity, or better yet attend a meeting.
Old 08-15-2017, 8:39 AM
I need a LIFE!!

Nothing has changed here in San Diego County other than a few attempts to go around the sheriff to allow cities to issue. So far, no luck here.
Old 08-17-2017, 8:23 AM

Documented threats on your life.

Moving lots of cash for business.

That's about it.

Last edited by elemen0hpee; 11-14-2017 at 2:42 PM..
Old 08-18-2017, 8:45 PM
I need a LIFE!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by baranski View Post
I suggest you contact Michael Schwartz at San Diego County Gun Owners. He could probably et you more clarity, or better yet attend a meeting.
http://sandiegocountygunowners.com/
Old 08-18-2017, 9:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paladin View Post
Thank you... I get it now.

http://sandiegocountygunowners.com/ccw/
Old 08-19-2017, 8:35 AM
I need a LIFE!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by GlockUnCut View Post
Thank you... I get it now.

You should also read this thread about Dave Myers challenging Gore in the next sheriff's election (next June). Myers has said publicly and put on his website that he'll accept SD as sufficient GC to issue a CCW.

http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/s....php?t=1340431
Old 10-11-2017, 8:14 PM

Hello, anyone know if theres any truth to the chatter im hearing that SD County is streamlining the CCW process for honorably discharged veterans who has served in combat zones?

I received the info from a credible SD County employee yesterday and gave me the number to the Ridghaven HQ office to initiate the process. I will contact the office tomorrow but wanted to see if I can get more information before I call.

Thanks in advance for any help.
Old 10-12-2017, 8:04 AM
Map Maker
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by SOCAL-PRINCE View Post
Hello, anyone know if theres any truth to the chatter im hearing that SD County is streamlining the CCW process for honorably discharged veterans who has served in combat zones?

I received the info from a credible SD County employee yesterday and gave me the number to the Ridghaven HQ office to initiate the process. I will contact the office tomorrow but wanted to see if I can get more information before I call.

Thanks in advance for any help.
Curious to see if this is true. It would be a pretty big change for Gore by itself.

Then again, it could also be a way to try and garner support from a large group of fairly conservative voters in the run up to next years election. The Dem he may be facing claims to be pro CCW IIRC.
"The best gun is the one you'll have on you when you need it the most, the one you know how to use, the one that goes BANG every single time you pull the trigger. Whether that gun cost you $349 or $1,100 it's worth every penny if it saves your life, or the life of someone you love.” -Tim Schmit, CCW Magazine July 2015

NRA Lifetime Member : CalGuns Lifetime Member : GOA Lifetime Member

Old 10-15-2017, 12:10 PM

Hello, just a quick update, I spoke with a lady and all she told me is that there is no official policy or process to give honorably discharged veterans special considerations. However, she did say that being an honorably discharged veterans does increase my chance and if all checks out that it’s about “90-95 percent chance I’ll get it”.

She also said to put as much info of my military deployments on the application but I don’t see where in the application this would be appropriate. I will call again on Monday to clarify. Anyway, I made an appointment for 10/19 in the morning and we’ll see what happens.
Old 10-15-2017, 5:21 PM

Quote:
Hello, just a quick update, I spoke with a lady and all she told me is that there is no official policy or process to give honorably discharged veterans special considerations. However, she did say that being an honorably discharged veterans does increase my chance and if all checks out that it’s about “90-95 percent chance I’ll get it”.

She also said to put as much info of my military deployments on the application but I don’t see where in the application this would be appropriate. I will call again on Monday to clarify. Anyway, I made an appointment for 10/19 in the morning and we’ll see what happens.
Honestly, having been through their ringer at least a half dozen times and seen the attitudes in the review office, I very much doubt that being an honorably discharged veteran is going to tilt the scales enough for them to issue. You're going to need to satisfy the sheriff's requirements anyway or he won't issue. But that's my opinion.

As mentioned earlier in this thread, for whom you vote will make a difference if that is the deciding point. Sheriff Gore is not going to change his policies unless the courts force him to do so.
Old 10-16-2017, 1:52 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rivers View Post
Honestly, having been through their ringer at least a half dozen times and seen the attitudes in the review office, I very much doubt that being an honorably discharged veteran is going to tilt the scales enough for them to issue. You're going to need to satisfy the sheriff's requirements anyway or he won't issue. But that's my opinion.

As mentioned earlier in this thread, for whom you vote will make a difference if that is the deciding point. Sheriff Gore is not going to change his policies unless the courts force him to do so.
Can’t you go around the Sheriff? He should not be the final say. In Maine the Sheriff OR Chief of Maine State Police “shall issue” . You no longer need a permit or anything to conceal carry or open carry in Maine but before that the chief of police or sheriff would be the final say so and military veterans and retired police officers always got the permit quite easily.

Last edited by Endless; 10-16-2017 at 1:54 AM..
Old 10-16-2017, 7:19 AM
Map Maker
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Endless View Post
Can’t you go around the Sheriff? He should not be the final say. In Maine the Sheriff OR Chief of Maine State Police “shall issue” . You no longer need a permit or anything to conceal carry or open carry in Maine but before that the chief of police or sheriff would be the final say so and military veterans and retired police officers always got the permit quite easily.
CA PC allows for the Sheriff of a County or the Chief of Police of a city to issue. That's it. The state itself does not issue, and CA has no State Police force. At this time no cities in SD county issue either.

Since CA is a "May Issue" state, issuing revolves around "good cause" and thus the state is a patchwork of issue and no issue zones, with lots of variation in-between.

This might make things clearer for you:

You see lots of green, but only 43% of CAs population lives those areas of Green (dark and light). The remaining 57% of the states population resides mostly in Red.
"The best gun is the one you'll have on you when you need it the most, the one you know how to use, the one that goes BANG every single time you pull the trigger. Whether that gun cost you $349 or $1,100 it's worth every penny if it saves your life, or the life of someone you love.” -Tim Schmit, CCW Magazine July 2015

Last edited by baggss; 10-16-2017 at 7:25 AM..
Old 10-16-2017, 7:48 AM

I happen to know a currently serving SSG in the National Guard (a native speaking Arabic interpreter in MI who has been to AFG and IRAQ as intel) whose family (and himself) were targeted. He documented everything.

Sheriff still refused to issue to him. I put him in contact with SDCGO and they're working to see if he can get one.

Apparently just having a threat to your life is not enough to get a way to protect yourself and your family.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ar15barrels View Post
Don't attempt to inject common sense into an internet pissing contest.
Old 10-16-2017, 2:53 PM

@Supersapper - Wow, that’s not promising at all. I’ll roll the dice and see what happens. I’ll report back later in the week. Wish me luck.....
Old 10-18-2017, 2:48 PM

I do wish you luck...much of it, too.

Quote:
@Supersapper - Wow, that’s not promising at all. I’ll roll the dice and see what happens. I’ll report back later in the week. Wish me luck.....

Quote:
Originally Posted by ar15barrels View Post
Don't attempt to inject common sense into an internet pissing contest.
Old 10-18-2017, 2:56 PM
Bring back the Lions.
CGN Contributor

You want to carry in San Diego you better wear a black robe for a living or possess pics of the sheriff and livestock in action.

The DC ruling should help us down the road but for the moment we continue to be hosed.
Old 10-30-2017, 2:54 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:

I agree that the 90-95% chance of getting a LTC is BS, nearly the same BS that the OCSD Under Sheriff is claiming to be its rate of issuing permits. (He is claiming to be issuing one day at 95+% and on another it is 98%. OCSD was also sued in a case similar to Peruta.) You could enter the information in response to question 10 of Section 2.

Quote:
10. Have you withheld any fact that might affect the decision to approve this license? If yes, please explain.
Check "Yes" and enter something along the lines of:

Quote:
I withheld the following since I didn't see any questions calling for the information and it isn't even clear that this question asks for positive data. I served X years in the United States .................., including Y tours in Z, where I was regularly involved in combat, including small arms engagements in (Falujah). I served as a squad leader and as a platoon sergeant. I am the recipient of a ........ and a purple heart. During my service I regularly exercised fire control and follow rules of engagement intended to prevent harm to non combatants.

Last edited by Chewy65; 10-30-2017 at 3:00 PM..
Old 10-30-2017, 3:37 PM
I need a LIFE!!

Looks like there might be "change we can believe in" taking place in SD Co SO -- with Gore still sheriff, no less!

Remember, Gore stopped fighting against Peruta after the 3-judge panel went against him. It was Kammie and CA that fought against us at the en banc panel and when seeking cert.:

Quote:
Originally Posted by baranski View Post
From San Diego County Gun Owners PAC

Throw out everything you think you know about CCWs and San Diego. We are receiving feedback that SDCGO's efforts to highlight Gore's block of your right to bear arms is working. His internal standards have been loosened and the amount of paperwork required has been lessened. We think.

So what does this mean? Well, we aren't sure because Sheriff Gore's policy is poorly written, subjective, and purposely vague.

We are asking you to help us figure it out and maybe get your CCW in the process.

Here's how:
Step 1: Read his website, download the application, complete as much as you can. Link: https://www.sdsheriff.net/licensing/ccw.html
Step 2: Call and make an appointment for an interview. Number: 858-974-2020
Step 3: Make a list of reasons you need a CCW. Be creative. This part is hard to advise or offer specifics. And this is really where you are helping. Is Gore just making election year noise? Or can the average law-abiding San Diegan obtain a CCW? It is probably somewhere in the middle and we don't know how long it will last (the election is in June), so right now is your chance!
Step 4: Dress nicely, be polite, and go to your 1st appointment. After you get your CCW, or are denied, please send us an email to let us know if you were successful. What was your "good cause" statement and did it work? How was your experience with the staff? Were the staffers helpful or discouraging?

We hear from people all the time wanting to get their CCWs, so jump on this possible opportunity as fast as you can. The appointment slots are going to fill up so hurry up and call to make your appointment.
ETA: Just to be clear: we do NOT know if Gore has liberalized issuance and even if he has, we do NOT know to what extent. For all we know he may have broadened his GC requirement only enough to take SD Co from "light red" to "yellow." Personally, I doubt if he'd go all the way to "dark green", the way Meyer has said (accepting SD/PP = GC), but if Gore goes to "light green," even that would be great since we're talking about the 2nd most populous county (at 3.3M) to LA Co (10M).

Last edited by Paladin; 10-30-2017 at 4:59 PM..
Old 10-30-2017, 3:38 PM
I need a LIFE!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by GlockUnCut View Post
Since all the threads on San Diego are too old to comment on, I thought we needed a new one.
You just check the box that says you realize you're posting to an old thread, and then hit Submit and it will be posted.

Last edited by Paladin; 10-30-2017 at 4:04 PM..
Old 10-31-2017, 8:04 AM

Quote:

Any updates? How did your appointment go?

What did you experience? Updates on the process?

Did they tell you what the next step would be, or was a decision made right then, if you progress to the next step?
Old 10-31-2017, 8:21 AM
Calguns Addict

I sent my CCW application in almost 5 years ago, as I understand it was put in a pile with other applicants, waiting for the Peruta disposition.

A member of The Tonkin Gulf Yacht Club
Old 10-31-2017, 9:13 AM
I need a LIFE!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by GMG View Post
I sent my CCW application in almost 5 years ago, as I understand it was put in a pile with other applicants, waiting for the Peruta disposition.
Peruta was denied cert on June 26th: it is dead and we lost it at the en banc panel.

If you used only SD/PP as GC, I'd abandon it and reapply using the best GC you can muster.

If you used more than SD/PP as GC, if what you used then still applies, I'd consider asking the SO to process it.

But first, I'd get in touch with SDCGOPAC (and join them, if you haven't already), to get their advice.
Old 10-31-2017, 3:58 PM
I need a LIFE!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by baggss View Post
You see lots of green, but only 43% of CAs population lives those areas of Green (dark and light). The remaining 57% of the states population resides mostly in Red.
San Diego Co has 8.5% of CA's population. If Sheriff Gore liberalizes issuance to "light green" or contender Myer wins and accepts SD = GC as he said he will, that will swing CA to where a majority of our state's population will be able to readily get a CCW. The antis will react like this:

While we'll be acting like this:

Last edited by Paladin; 12-28-2017 at 7:34 PM..
Old 11-28-2017, 6:49 PM

I posted the below URL on my FB page about Dave Meyers! He is pro-CCW it appears & I did not see his name as I scanned the above posts!

www.davemyersforsheriff.com
Old 12-28-2017, 6:55 PM

This is from Dave Myers' website.

Proposed Action:
• As Sheriff, I will enforce the law. I will not push for greater restrictions, nor exceptions in laws related to firearms.

• As Sheriff, I will set consistent and clearly understood regulations regarding CCW permit qualifications and processes.

• As Sheriff, I will issue CCW permits provided that:

1 The applicant passes all necessary background checks
2 The applicant passes a safety curriculum approved by the Sheriff’s Department.
3 The applicant demonstrates good cause.
4 As Sheriff, I will honor personal protection as good cause sufficient to issue a CCW

https://www.davemyersforsheriff.com/issues/
Old 01-04-2018, 11:34 AM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor - Lifetime
CGN Contributor - Lifetime

Default CCW Application

Of course the CCW pass rate is 95% because people are afraid to pay $105. to apply. You have never applied unless and until you fill out the forms and pay the fee. ( All those so called applications were being held 5 yrs ago were not treated as applications because the $105. was not paid. They were gaming the public) They have always prided themselves on having the high success rate and applicants have always been afraid of the blue haired ladies who scare them away from actually applying with the fee. Over the years numerous staff have told me "it's not too late to recind your application and it won't be held against you"I have applied a half dozen times and got LTC three of the 6 times. Always while dealing with SDCS licencing staff one gets the hint the that they don't want you there and you're wasteing your money. It is always good to have an approved or denied application on record for legal purposes in case you do defend yourself. I am going down soon to apply as a medically infirm old white guy who has history of many threats as a retired psych RN. It is true that if Gore wins again that he will be advertised as giving 90-95 % of CCW that are applied for by general population.
Mark Cleary
Proud Peruta co plaintive
Old 01-04-2018, 2:29 PM
Map Maker
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by carrywisely_ca View Post
This is from Dave Myers' website.

Proposed Action:
• As Sheriff, I will enforce the law. I will not push for greater restrictions, nor exceptions in laws related to firearms.

• As Sheriff, I will set consistent and clearly understood regulations regarding CCW permit qualifications and processes.

• As Sheriff, I will issue CCW permits provided that:

1 The applicant passes all necessary background checks
2 The applicant passes a safety curriculum approved by the Sheriff’s Department.
3 The applicant demonstrates good cause.
4 As Sheriff, I will honor personal protection as good cause sufficient to issue a CCW

https://www.davemyersforsheriff.com/issues/
1 - 3 are stock answers.

4 is the real answer.

Old 01-13-2018, 12:27 AM

Default CCW

I applied today and paid the $. I must say it was the nicest incounter in the 24 yrs and 7 applications that I have dealt with them. I was especially happy when the girl said that " you may not hear till the end of February as so many people are applying and it's taking time for the prints to clear". She did indicate that it is getting easier. The old manager Blanca Pelowitz has recently retired and new manager Donna Burns gets praise from staff and trainers. Time will tell.
Section II question 5 of form asked "Have you been or are you a part of any law suit". I wrote that I have been co plaintiff in "Peruta vs SD Sheriff" from circa 2010 until 2016 and wrote see Appendix I attached with SCOTUS justices 4 page desenting opinion enclosed. The Sheriff is running on the Republican ticket and those 4 pages represented 7 yrs of fine work of many fine jurists and hundreds of thousands of dollars from the faithful. This could just open up in the next yr as it happened in Orange County recently.
Godspeed

Last edited by marcusrn; 01-13-2018 at 12:41 AM..
Old 01-13-2018, 10:18 AM
I need a LIFE!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by marcusrn View Post
I applied today and paid the $. I must say it was the nicest incounter in the 24 yrs and 7 applications that I have dealt with them.

Quote:
I was especially happy when the girl said that " you may not hear till the end of February as so many people are applying and it's taking time for the prints to clear".
Is end of Feb when they'll tell you if your GC is sufficient or not? We need to hear from you and them to find out if Gore is just talk or if he's actually issuing more CCWs than he used to.

Quote:
She did indicate that it is getting easier. The old manager Blanca Pelowitz has recently retired and new manager Donna Burns gets praise from staff and trainers. Time will tell.
How so? Re. the process being systematized/standardized? Re. the GC standard being liberalized? While the former is great, the latter is key.

Quote:
Section II question 5 of form asked "Have you been or are you a part of any law suit". I wrote that I have been co plaintiff in "Peruta vs SD Sheriff" from circa 2010 until 2016 and wrote see Appendix I attached with SCOTUS justices 4 page desenting opinion enclosed. The Sheriff is running on the Republican ticket and those 4 pages represented 7 yrs of fine work of many fine jurists and hundreds of thousands of dollars from the faithful.
Like it or not, money is power, including political power. Our opponents (Bloomberg, Soros, Feinstein, et al), are powerful only because they are rich.

Quote:
This could just open up in the next yr as it happened in Orange County recently.
Even if Gore gets reelected???

Quote:
Godspeed
And may God protect each of us since we are incapable of protecting ourselves without a RKBA that "shall not be infringed."

Last edited by Paladin; 01-13-2018 at 10:35 AM..
Old 01-20-2018, 12:51 PM

Does anybody have any recent information regarding restrictions on what guns can be on your permit in SD? Specifically, I'd like to know the following:

1. What are the caliber restrictions, if any?

2. Is there any restriction regarding guns not currently on the roster?

3. Is there any restriction regarding guns acquired under the Single Shot Exception?

4. Is there any restriction on modifications, such as the OC restriction on no Cerakoting?

5. Is there any SDSO restriction on carrying legally owned >10 round mags other than the current situation where although legally owned, they can be confiscated, if found, as a "public nuisance"?

The more time I spend on this forum, the more sense kcbrown makes.
Old 02-26-2018, 9:51 PM

any updates to getting a ccw in SD. I called for an appointment for the first interview, and I was able to get a interview lined up pretty quickly. I talked to two of my buddies (one is a sheriffs deputy, and another is a business owner next door to my work location has a ccw) and both told me to apply due to the occupation that I'm in.

Basically, my statement is I deal in large sums of cash and narcotics in a craphole part of san diego, that has seen a shooting/homicide in the parking lot this week and a stabbing a few weeks prior, and 3 of my employees getting beat up. The shooting/homicide in the parking lot this week, made me finally apply for a ccw.

What do you guys think are my chances?
Old 02-26-2018, 11:01 PM

From what I can tell, currently the best source of information and guidance on this subject is the San Diego County Gun Owners. They have taken the lead in pushing for clarity and transparency in the SDSO policies.

I HIGHLY suggest you check out their website and contact them for suggestions and guidance.

Old 02-26-2018, 11:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elemen0hpee View Post
Documented threats on your life.

Moving lots of cash for business.

That's about it.
^^this^^ it’s how a buddy of mine got approved he does “nightly deposits” not sure if had to show deposit slips or not but it worked.

Building a 1911 with a rock in a Cavehttp://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/s...d.php?t=957081
Old 02-26-2018, 11:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MajorCaliber View Post
From what I can tell, currently the best source of information and guidance on this subject is the San Diego County Gun Owners. They have taken the lead in pushing for clarity and transparency in the SDSO policies.

I HIGHLY suggest you check out their website and contact them for suggestions and guidance.
Yeah, I actually used them as reference for filling out the application and cause statement.
Old 02-27-2018, 12:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gaberaynes View Post
^^this^^ it’s how a buddy of mine got approved he does “nightly deposits” not sure if had to show deposit slips or not but it worked.
I have slips showing my daily cash intake, audits showing the value of my narcotic inventory, and I also included headlines of all the robberies/stabbings/shootings in the parking lot of my awesome work environment.

I also got jumped by two homeless dudes a few years back in the parking lot of my work location, that resulted in a fractured rib, and a bone spur in my jaw. Basically, I incapacitated one guy, but the other guy beat me to a bloody pulp so the first buddy could escape. I didn't file a police report because I thought I could walk it off and didn't realize how badly I was injured until the next day when the swelling on my face wouldn't go down, and my chest was black and blue due to the fractured rib. I may be able to get the emergency room admission slip to back up my story (not sure how easy it is to get a copy of that report since it was a few years back).

I'm hoping this is enough. My buddy owns a storefront next to my work that has a ccw, basically said the same thing you stated. If you deal with cash, it shouldn't be a problem getting a ccw. His business does way less in cash than I do...... so i have my fingers crossed.

If you are interested in the shooting that took place, google "point loma or midway shooting". It will pull up a headline about a shooting and a swat team..... Yeah, I love my work environment.
Old 02-27-2018, 7:15 AM

I believe the hospital should have your medical records for at least 7 years. I had no problem getting prior records to see what anesthesia was used on me in a surgery 5 years back.

Old 02-27-2018, 8:08 AM

Default Apply now, apply often.

SDSO Licensing Div has always been business owner friendly. Esp if cash or narcs are involved. For yrs they gave physicians LTC just because they have a script pad,(I.E. Lic to give narcs). I see no down side to this esp if you're an owner. Just make your statement strong as you've already mentioned violence that's reported or verifiable. There is no down side to your applying.

Last edited by marcusrn; 02-27-2018 at 11:43 PM..
Old 02-28-2018, 11:45 AM

I applied a few weeks ago and it was quick. I just wish they would tell you to bring the documentation on the first appointment, there really is no need for a follow up. I think this is their way to weed out the chaff. Had the first appointment on a Thursday then the follow up the next Thursday. Now the waiting begins. I am military and used Al Qaeda and ISIS hit lists as my rationale...they better not reject!

"Every man dies, not every man really lives!"

Old 02-28-2018, 12:30 PM
Calguns Addict

I wonder if shuffling around four to five grand or even more worth of firearms/optics to remote BLM locations where one is forced to disarm before leaving is anything they would consider? I suppose they would put limits on it. Isn't that the case with jewelry or cash? Only while transporting?

"Yeah, like... well, I just want to slap a hippie or two. Maybe even make them get jobs."