Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > CONCEALED CARRY/LICENSE TO CARRY > Concealed Carry Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Concealed Carry Discussion General discussion regarding CCW/LTC in California

Old 07-11-2018, 9:11 AM

Pictures, as promised. Screw holes appear to be about 5/8" apart, on center.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_20180710_214047836.jpg (98.7 KB, 69 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_20180710_214107208.jpg (95.1 KB, 54 views)
Old 07-11-2018, 10:42 AM

Sticky is my every day holster (Thanks to Art from packingfordefence for the great service).
I carry at synagogue untucked, it's quite common nowadays, and with my belly it looks better not tucked in as well.
Only problem is when someone comes over to give you a hug or put their arm around you... I carry at 3 o'clock, and when people who are "known huggers" come towards me, I hold my right elbow just above the grip, and bend the right arm at 90 degrees so they may not feel the pistol. Of course having the mag at 9 o'clock now becomes an issue, but I just tell them it's the radio (I wear a radio earpiece).
Old 07-11-2018, 11:07 AM

Thanks Irvine. I've been looking at the Sticky too, so I appreciate your recommendation. I should note that I am compelled to tuck my shirt in due to WAF (Wife Acceptance Factor).
Old 07-11-2018, 11:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by grantar2 View Post
Belly band (depending on model) should be just what the doctor ordered. Yes it will fit your M&P 9C without issue. The limitation of most belly bands is the lack of cant when carrying at the 3:00 or further back. They are exceptional for appendix carry.

Good luck.
Belly band arrived... my first impression is that it causes my gun to print...badly. I've got a few extra pounds around my middle area, so my belly is usually what prints ... The band and it's contents print on top of that shape, even when worn below the apex of my "dunlop". Perhaps I'm wearing it wrong or have the wrong model?

Here's what I bought:
Belly Band Holster For Concealed Carry | IWB Holster | Waist Band Handgun Carrying System | Hand Gun Elastic Holder For Pistols
Old 07-11-2018, 5:02 PM
nulla lex prohibet
CGN Contributor

sigbond if you're anywhere near grantar2 drop by for a personal fitting. I had the opportunity to talk with him once at a gun show and while he couldn't solve a problem I had with someone else's plastic holster clips he did make a recommendation on another holster that I bought and use often. If you keep buying random holsters you'll end up like the rest of us with a box full of holsters!!
Old 07-11-2018, 7:52 PM

Tactical Bible cover.
Old 07-12-2018, 5:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sigbond View Post
Belly band arrived... my first impression is that it causes my gun to print...badly. I've got a few extra pounds around my middle area, so my belly is usually what prints ... The band and it's contents print on top of that shape, even when worn below the apex of my "dunlop". Perhaps I'm wearing it wrong or have the wrong model?

Here's what I bought:
Belly Band Holster For Concealed Carry | IWB Holster | Waist Band Handgun Carrying System | Hand Gun Elastic Holder For Pistols
I’m thin build 6’1” 175Lbs I have the grip just above my belt just below what little gut I have. The tucked in shirt is always a little loose there anyway. No one ever notices. I went appendix when someone hugged me at church and touched my gun at 3:30. I did an appendix holster first then another CCW holder commented on the clip. So I bought a Smart Carry.
Old 07-12-2018, 8:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by psssniper View Post
sigbond if you're anywhere near grantar2 drop by for a personal fitting. I had the opportunity to talk with him once at a gun show and while he couldn't solve a problem I had with someone else's plastic holster clips he did make a recommendation on another holster that I bought and use often. If you keep buying random holsters you'll end up like the rest of us with a box full of holsters!!
I really wish I was close enough... Perhaps if he is ever near Sacramento for a show...

I thought a box of holsters was a rite of passage
Old 07-12-2018, 8:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FresnoRob View Post
So I bought a Smart Carry.
I like the look and idea of the Smart Carry, plus I can see it being useful for other applications, like sweat pants or gym shorts. The key for me to be able to carry appendix is getting it low enough (or high enough) that I can sit. It looks like perhaps the Smary Carry is discontinued?

UPDATE: Not discontinued, it appears that I was looking at the NRAstore-branded model, not at SmartCarry.com.

Last edited by sigbond; 07-12-2018 at 9:02 AM.. Reason: correction
Old 07-12-2018, 2:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sigbond View Post
I like the look and idea of the Smart Carry, plus I can see it being useful for other applications, like sweat pants or gym shorts. The key for me to be able to carry appendix is getting it low enough (or high enough) that I can sit. It looks like perhaps the Smary Carry is discontinued?

UPDATE: Not discontinued, it appears that I was looking at the NRAstore-branded model, not at SmartCarry.com.
grantar2 has a different brand he says he likes better. I haven't tried it because I'm happy with the SC.
Old 07-13-2018, 12:28 AM
Veteran Member

OP as FresnoRob points out I have a holster I like better than yours (but hey I designed it, and I am a salesman) mostly because it has better contours and covers the entire gun. I don't like the serrations and sights cutting into me. We also feature reinforced mag release protection.

That said your holster should work fine. If you have trouble tucking your shirt in I suggest removing the top screw, it will be ok, and you can adjust the cant to taste.

Now having said that I think what you really want to do is change out your clip for an Ulti-Clip, you can buy them from me or online. You want the Ulti-Clip III, it will clip to your pants, and hide behind your belt and be tuckable. Unless your gun is rubbing you raw and thus you want a new one, this will be your answer. I would recommend getting a slightly longer Texas screw, and add a small rubber washer to create friction if you remove the top screw. That should work great for you.

Most holster manufactures are moving to the clip you have for single clip Kydex because they are strong and they are much less like to hurt upholstery in cars and on furniture than the common metal clips or narrow plastic clips like those frequently used on hybrids.

I hope this helps.
Old 07-13-2018, 11:55 PM

Another Smart Carry user here.
Old 07-16-2018, 4:47 PM

^^ with a Smart Carry, is it hard to get a hold on the grip of the pistol?
John 3:16
Old 07-16-2018, 7:44 PM
Señor Member
CGN Contributor - Lifetime

Quote:
Originally Posted by uglyduckling View Post
Just be sure you grab the correct gun

Quote:
Originally Posted by dantodd View Post
A just government will not be overthrown by force or violence because the people have no incentive to overthrow a just government. If a small minority of people attempt such an insurrection to grab power and enslave the people, the RKBA of the whole is our insurance against their success.
Old 07-16-2018, 8:10 PM

Quote:
Not if the grip is above your belt line. At least not for me, but I have a flat stomach.
Old 07-16-2018, 11:20 PM

Quote:

Not with some practice.
Old 07-18-2018, 3:32 PM

Well so far the belly band seems to be a bust. I experimented with wearing it below the belt line, but the pistol's handle prints awkwardly through the front of the pants. Maybe I just need looser-fitting clothes.

Thinking about the Smart Carry (or Grantar2's equivalent) but I'm worried there just isn't enough room in that area, no matter which holster is used. Sticky might still be an option.
Old 07-18-2018, 7:18 PM
Global Warming Enthusiast
CGN Contributor

I do this all the time with a G19, a G43, and even a 1911. Doesn't seem that complicated.

Buy made in USA whenever possible.
Old 07-18-2018, 7:27 PM

Belly band

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 07-19-2018, 6:39 PM

If your dress shirt bunches up excessively when tucking it in over the Vedder Light Tuck (or any tuckable IWB holster), you could have some of your dress shirts altered with a slit where you prefer to wear your holster so that more of the shirt will fit down past the holster's clip, which should reduce the bulk around that area.

Disclaimer: I haven't actually tried this before, but just something that came to mind when reading through this thread. (I know my way around a sewing machine, so I might actually try this myself, at some point.)
Old 07-21-2018, 7:37 AM

I absolutly agree that a wardrobe change is in order.
There are some great shirts that do not look sloppy untucked. Untuckit.com and Tommy Bahama are just two examples.
I, like you felt uncomfortable not wearing tucked in for more formal events. Look around, nobody cares if your shirt is not tucked in.
If you carry untucked, your options just increased substantially. I carry a Commander 1911 with a round butt that disappears with a OWB holster. Just don't hug on my right side.

"My reading of history convinces me that most bad government results from too much government."

"No freeman shall be debarred the use of arms"
-- Thomas Jefferson
Old 07-21-2018, 2:30 PM
To clear, just rack once✔
CGN Contributor

I have the Alien Gear IWB holsters for all my carry guns. Although I don't normally tuck in my shirts, when I do, the AG holsters have work well.

Alien Gear Cloak Tuck 3.0 or 3.5 IWB
Alien Gear ShapeShift 4.0 IWB

.45 ACP. It's like a 9mm, except for grown-ups.
Old 07-21-2018, 2:36 PM
To clear, just rack once✔
CGN Contributor

Be careful about carrying on church grounds when said church is also a full-time school. It is my understanding that carrying on school grounds is a felony.

.45 ACP. It's like a 9mm, except for grown-ups.
Old 07-21-2018, 4:29 PM
Señor Member
CGN Contributor - Lifetime

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mag+1 View Post
Be careful about carrying on church grounds when said church is also a full-time school. It is my understanding that carrying on school grounds is a felony.
Correct, and the district superintendent can no longer provide an exemption.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dantodd View Post
A just government will not be overthrown by force or violence because the people have no incentive to overthrow a just government. If a small minority of people attempt such an insurrection to grab power and enslave the people, the RKBA of the whole is our insurance against their success.
Old 07-24-2018, 1:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mag+1 View Post
Excellent reminder. It might not have occurred to me. Thankfully my church is not also a school.
Old 07-25-2018, 11:43 AM
Veteran Member

Personal space invaders (social huggers) can at times be annoying. Just say no. They don't just show up at church/temple either.
Do the forward lean hug (if you must engage) and forget buying a new gun rig. God won't judge.
Social kissers are really annoying, but I digress.

Sent using a long string and 2 Dixie cups
"Find out just what the people will submit to and you have found out the exact amount of injustice and wrong which will be imposed upon them and these will continue until they are resisted with either words or blows, or with both. The limits of tyrants are prescribed by the endurance of those whom they oppress."
-- Frederick Douglass --

“I didn’t know I was a slave until I found out I couldn’t do the things I wanted.”
– Frederick Douglass --