Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > CONCEALED CARRY/LICENSE TO CARRY > Non-California Permits/Licenses
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Non-California Permits/Licenses For out of State License/Permit discussion

Old 07-09-2018, 9:39 AM
Calguns Addict

Default Which non-resident permit?

Since I got approved for my CA CCW, it seems like I might as well go for one of the non-resident permits, too, to cover out-of-state carry. I know the Utah permit was a big deal, but lots of people talking about Florida, Arizona, and some others. Any differences other than the variances in which states those are good in?

San Diego FFLs | San Diego ranges
I would rather be exposed to the inconveniences attending too much liberty than to those attending too small a degree of it. --Thomas Jefferson
Old 07-09-2018, 10:01 AM

Default Which non-resident permit?

Arizona is your easiest and best route since they accept a CA CCW as their training requirement. You’ll get most every state most other non resident permits will cover.

As of now you won’t get Washington with AZ but you’ll get New Mexico.

Conversely, Utah will get you Washington but not New Mexico.

Last edited by awiner; 07-09-2018 at 10:05 AM..
Old 07-09-2018, 1:20 PM

AZ is by far the easiest, most reciprocal, and best one to get.
Old 07-09-2018, 1:56 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

As our esteemed colleagues have mentioned, Arizona for the win.
Worst part is going to your local mailing service store to get physical finger prints done (as in....the entire process is easy). The rest of the app is an entire 1 page of paper, 2 sides. That'll get ya 23+ states (havent' counted lately)
Edit to add: and it's good for 5 years!!!
Old 07-09-2018, 6:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by puropuro View Post
As our esteemed colleagues have mentioned, Arizona for the win.
Worst part is going to your local mailing service store to get physical finger prints done (as in....the entire process is easy). The rest of the app is an entire 1 page of paper, 2 sides. That'll get ya 23+ states (havent' counted lately)
Edit to add: and it's good for 5 years!!!

30 states by my count currently.
Old 07-09-2018, 8:38 PM
Calguns Addict

Also depends on where you actually see yourself travelling to. AZ would probably be best for most people. It has served me well for most my needs and was easy to get due to being a veteran.
Old 07-09-2018, 8:43 PM
Señor Member
CGN Contributor - Lifetime

Quote:
Originally Posted by awiner View Post
Arizona is your easiest and best route since they accept a CA CCW as their training requirement. You’ll get most every state most other non resident permits will cover.

As of now you won’t get Washington with AZ but you’ll get New Mexico.

Conversely, Utah will get you Washington but not New Mexico.
This.
I went for AZ and Florida. I need Florida for the kids, plus at the time, NV accepted Florida but not AZ. By the time my permits showed up, NV was accepting both.
But that makes the point that laws do change from time to time, so the more coverage you have, the more likely you are to be legal in the greatest number of states.

Can't get to Washington without going through Oregon, and Oregon is difficult since you have to apply in person, and though they are shall-issue, non-residents need to show some "business" in Oregon.
I spend a lot more time traveling the SouthWest than PNW, so AZ was a no-brainer for me.
Aside from New Mexico/Washington, Utah and AZ are redundant.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dantodd View Post
A just gov't will not be overthrown by force or violence because the people have no incentive to overthrow a just gov't. If a small minority of people attempt such an insurrection to grab power and enslave the people the RKBA of the whole is our insurance against their success.
Old 07-09-2018, 8:44 PM

I have non res permits with AZ, Washington and Florida.
Old 07-09-2018, 8:47 PM
Señor Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by awiner View Post
30 states by my count currently.
AZ + CA is good in 35 states
AZ alone is good for 33 as a non-resident, 38 as an AZ resident

AZ Alone:

AZ + CA:

Attached Images
File Type: jpg AZ_CCW.jpg (63.2 KB, 208 views)
File Type: jpg AZ-CA_CCW.jpg (78.1 KB, 207 views)

Quote:
A just gov't will not be overthrown by force or violence because the people have no incentive to overthrow a just gov't. If a small minority of people attempt such an insurrection to grab power and enslave the people the RKBA of the whole is our insurance against their success.

Last edited by Cokebottle; 07-09-2018 at 8:54 PM..
Old 07-09-2018, 8:50 PM
Front Toward Enemy 🔫
CGN Contributor

AZ is the easiest if you have CA permit, and lets you carry in Nevada

"Texans always move them!"
General Robert E. Lee, May 6, 1864 - Battle of the Wilderness
Old 07-09-2018, 8:55 PM

I have Utah. Process was dead simple and hassle free
Old 07-09-2018, 11:05 PM

My AZ permit took we only 13 days to get last year. Very easy process to obtain.
Old 07-10-2018, 4:20 AM

I did FL/UT/AZ/NV. Why not? Collect em all
Old 07-10-2018, 4:31 AM
Global Warming Enthusiast
CGN Contributor

The answer depends on where you are most likely to travel. We ride the western states a lot so I got CA + AZ + UT. That leaves Oregon and Colorado that I can only open carry. Oregon is fairly easy to get one but you have to go there in person. Colorado is no-go for CA residents best I can tell.

Buy made in USA whenever possible.
Old 07-10-2018, 7:36 AM

Idaho Enhanced is the best, but it does require two trips to ID to apply and two to renew every 5 years. It does require a permit in your home state as well.

But for the permit by mail, AZ and UT fit my use. I will likely take a MN course next time I visit my parents, if I don't do the ID one instead.
Old 07-10-2018, 3:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FIELDWORKS360 View Post
I did FL/UT/AZ/NV. Why not? Collect em all
I like this!
Old 07-10-2018, 5:04 PM
Vendor/Retailer

Which permit or permits to get depends on where you might want to travel and how long you intend to keep renewing.

Utah and Arizona have almost identical coverage, except Utah is recognized in Washington, and Arizona in New Mexico, but not vice versa. Florida does not recognize any other state's permit.

Initial application fees for Utah and Arizona are almost identical ($62/$60), but Utah is considerably cheaper to renew at $15 compared to Arizona's $43. Florida is $97 for the first 7 years, $87 for each additional 7.

Assuming Utah and Arizona both cover the states you want to carry in, do the math and see if the length of time you intend to carry makes Utah's lower renewal plus the initial cost of training cheaper than Arizona's higher renewal but no additional training requirement. If you want Florida as well then you might as well get Utah instead of Arizona since most instructors that teach Utah also satisfy Florida's training requirement.
Old 07-10-2018, 6:58 PM
Señor Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gun Kraft View Post
Florida does not recognize any other state's permit.
Florida does not recognize any state's non-resident permit, but does recognize resident permits from 34 states.
Like Colorado, they follow true reciprosity... if a state recognizes the FL permit, then FL recognizes their permit.

Quote:
Old 07-11-2018, 4:26 PM

Arizona for the win, this is a total no-brainer!!

Utah will only add Washington to the coverage of your AZ CWP. Even if you don't need WA, get the Utah CFP for some redundancy/back-up.

Florida does honor the AZ CWP, however Florida does NOT honor any non-resident permits per state statue. So unless you intend to move to AZ, you will need a FL CWFL if you intend to carry there. However, the FL CWFL will only add Florida to the coverage of your AZ CWP!

Any other state permit you add after the above will ONLY add that particular state to the coverage you will have with an AZ CWP.
Old 07-11-2018, 7:19 PM
I need a LIFE!!

Location: In rebel held territory. Long live the Confederacy!

Reciprocity and recognition laws are a dynamic and ever changing thing. I have a total of eight CCWs and I have coverage in thirty-eight states. I'm glad I have them and it was well worth the cost and hassle to get all eight!
"Life Is Hard. Its Harder When You're Stupid"-John Wayne!
"Liberalism Is A Mental Disorder"-Michael Savage!
Old 07-11-2018, 11:02 PM

Whats the process to get AZ permit?
Old 07-12-2018, 7:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by painkiller View Post
Whats the process to get AZ permit?
Go to the AZ DPS website and request a CCW packet. Fill it out, get printed, mail it back with payment.
Old 07-12-2018, 7:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Jake View Post
Reciprocity and recognition laws are a dynamic and ever changing thing. I have a total of eight CCWs and I have coverage in thirty-eight states. I'm glad I have them and it was well worth the cost and hassle to get all eight!
Yep, look at NV and how it flip flops with AZ/UT reciprocity over the years. Right now it accepts both but not in the past
Old 07-12-2018, 6:54 PM
Señor Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by broadside View Post
Go to the AZ DPS website and request a CCW packet. Fill it out, get printed, mail it back with payment.
This.
If you have a CA permit, a photocopy is sufficient proof of training. If not, any NRA class satisfies it... basic handgun, hunter safety, etc...

Quote:
Old 07-13-2018, 3:45 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by broadside View Post
Awesome! Just sent a request today.

San Diego FFLs | San Diego ranges
I would rather be exposed to the inconveniences attending too much liberty than to those attending too small a degree of it. --Thomas Jefferson
Old 07-13-2018, 3:50 PM

What are you guys without a CA permit gonna do when your Utah comes up for renewal? Have you thought about that?
Old 07-13-2018, 4:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RazoE View Post
What are you guys without a CA permit gonna do when your Utah comes up for renewal? Have you thought about that?
What are you talking about? Are they changing the requirements? Right now it is this:

Quote:
Non-resident proof of permit. If you reside in a state that recognizes the validity of the Utah CFP or has reciprocity with Utah, you must obtain a CFP or CCW from your home state and submit a copy of it with your application for a Utah permit. For a list of reciprocal states click here. You are considered a resident of whichever state issued your ID. If your state does not recognize the Utah permit this does not apply.
Old 07-13-2018, 7:19 PM
Señor Member

Quote:
There was some debate a few years ago over Utah requiring that you have a permit from your home state before they would issue a non-resident, but it never became law. Utah DOES require that if you are a Utah resident, that you obtain a Utah permit... they do not recognize other state's non-resident permits for Utah residents, and there is some kind of BS between Utah and AZ that one of the states prohibits its residents from carrying both permits at the same time.

Utah non-resident is available to every Californian regardless of whether you have a CCW or not.

Quote:
Old 07-13-2018, 8:33 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cokebottle View Post
There was some debate a few years ago over Utah requiring that you have a permit from your home state before they would issue a non-resident, but it never became law. Utah DOES require that if you are a Utah resident, that you obtain a Utah permit... they do not recognize other state's non-resident permits for Utah residents, and there is some kind of BS between Utah and AZ that one of the states prohibits its residents from carrying both permits at the same time.

Utah non-resident is available to every Californian regardless of whether you have a CCW or not.
Can you elaborate on the BS between UT and AZ where a resident on one of those states can't have both permits at same time? I plan on becoming a permanent AZ resident within about 1 year or so. I only have an AZ permit.

I would probably only get a UT permit if it ever happens again where NV won't honor AZ which I doubt.
Old 07-13-2018, 8:56 PM
Señor Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by I Swan View Post
Can you elaborate on the BS between UT and AZ where a resident on one of those states can't have both permits at same time? I plan on becoming a permanent AZ resident within about 1 year or so. I only have an AZ permit.

I would probably only get a UT permit if it ever happens again where NV won't honor AZ which I doubt.
I don't remember the details... it was being discussed back in 2010 or so.
I believe it was AZ that would not allow an AZ resident to carry both... but that was before Con-Carry became law, so it is probably a non-issue now.
At the time, I believe AZ had a live-fire requirement and you had to take a class from an AZ instructor (or AZ-approved instructor, you didn't have to drive to AZ for the class), while Utah didn't require live-fire.
At the time, Utah was the one you "had to have" as a Californian being the easiest to get.

It wasn't a prohibition on having both permits... it was a situation where one could not carry both when in-state.
I suppose if you were traveling and needed the Utah permit, you could just toss it in the luggage until you left AZ?

Quote:

Last edited by Cokebottle; 07-13-2018 at 9:00 PM..
Old 07-14-2018, 5:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cokebottle View Post
There was some debate a few years ago over Utah requiring that you have a permit from your home state before they would issue a non-resident, but it never became law...
That requirement did become law however poster broadside is correct. Since I have Utah but not a permit from my home state the problem applies to those like me but not Californians. My mistake.
Old 07-14-2018, 9:56 AM
Señor Member

Quote:
That requirement did become law however poster broadside is correct. Since I have Utah but not a permit from my home state the problem applies to those like me but not Californians. My mistake.
That's right.. it hinged on reciprosity.
Likely Utah wanted to respect the right of a state to refuse to allow a resident to carry in their home state.
It make sense... Your own state would know better than Utah whether there is something in your background that should preclude you from being issued.

Quote:
Old 07-15-2018, 11:50 PM

I have ca,nv,utah on they way and I just requested the az packet..I think I'm covered.
Old 07-16-2018, 6:47 AM
I need a LIFE!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by daveg64 View Post
I have ca,nv,utah on they way and I just requested the az packet..I think I'm covered.
Get a Florida ccw as well!
Old 07-16-2018, 7:25 AM

AZ+UT (and some like to add Florida).
Old 07-16-2018, 10:18 AM
I need a LIFE!!

I have the following eight CCWs and this allows me to carry in thirty-eight states when I travel:

1. California
2. Nevada
3. Arizona
4. Utah
5. Florida
6. New Hampshire
7. Maine
8. Conneticut

I am thinking about adding Oregon, however, I haven't traveled there in many years so I don't feel it is worth the trip up to get it. All having an Oregon CCW will give me is Oregon so I'll wait a bit on this one. ironically, the two states that I travel to in order to visit close family members who live in each state do not recognize non-resident CCWs nor do they recognize a California CCW so I'm SOL on the states of Colorado and South Carolina.

Last edited by Big Jake; 07-16-2018 at 10:21 AM..