Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > OUTDOORS, HUNTING AND SURVIVAL > Hunting and Fishing
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Hunting and Fishing Rifle, Shotgun, Handgun, Archery, Blackpowder Saltwater and Fresh Water

Old 07-09-2018, 10:45 AM

Default Affordable upland shotguns

I want another shotgun for upland this season.

I really like chasing quail and end up putting quite a few miles on in nasty terrain. Iím looking for something light, swings well, and isnít much over $1000.
I really like double barrels, but many are $1400-2500...

Whatís your favorite light weight upland shotgun? Iím thinking Iím going to stick with 12 gauge because the performance loss of steel and my haggard shooting in rough terrain.
Old 07-09-2018, 10:54 AM

Are you ruling out pump or autos?

Some day I’ll convince myself I need something “better” but I put in a lot of miles carrying a 70’s era Mossy 500 that started life as a police issue and now wears a 28” barrel and pachmyr foregrip.

I’ve read good things about Stoeger guns from a price/performance standpoint. Even their “competition” models are well within your budget.

Bottom line, gear takes a beating while hunting rough terrain and I don’t think I could bring myself to subject an engraved, walnut-stocked shotgun to such abuse, regardless of how well it shot. But I’m cheap.

When my son started hunting quail with me I got him a Mossy 500 combo with 18 and 28” barrels at Big 5 for around $300. That thing has been beat to hell and still kills plenty of birds and bunnies. Light weight too with the cheapo plastic forestock and buttstock. . And you can spray paint it with camo paint for that serious hunter look...

Here's a list of options if you're looking for O/U: https://www.outdoorlife.com/photos/g...ss-1000#page-7

If I was to buy an autoloader today, I'd probably be looking at the Franchi Affinity 3.5 or the Winchester Super X4 but thats just based on reading/researching articles about a year ago when I was also toying with the idea of an "upgrade" for hunting.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited by sbsyncro; 07-09-2018 at 11:05 AM..
Old 07-09-2018, 11:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillyGoatCrawler View Post

I really like chasing quail and end up putting quite a few miles on in nasty terrain. I’m looking for something light, swings well, and isn’t much over $1000.

What’s your favorite light weight upland shotgun? I’m thinking I’m going to stick with 12 gauge because the performance loss of steel and my haggard shooting in rough terrain.
I have a stoeger Condor. I know some get a bad wrap, but I have beat the holy hell out of this gun. between hunting here and in MX. it has never let me down and is my most trusted gun. my great matenience schedule has nothing to do with it, I don't see a bore snake run threw it one in 3 years having much effect. their CS is great. I called cause I cracked the forearm. I was honest told them I bought it used, don't maintain it and whip it like a dog. how much to replace the forearm. they said just send it to us and we will fit a new one no charge. I told them I couldn't for about six months cause of hunting season. they said no problem whenever I get a chance, lol

I bought a CZ drake last year just because. brand new it is a great gun. it's well built and hasn't failed. I like it alot. I have maybe **** 50 rounds cause I keep going back to.my stoeger.

stoeger has been registered in MX past few years. says alot cause if your registered gun craps out your SOL. I will use CZ this year in US

both are 20 ga but they come in 12. I was a die hard 12 ga guy until I got the stoeger now I use 20 for upland and a 12 for water fowl.

Last edited by jbk; 07-09-2018 at 11:27 AM..
Old 07-09-2018, 11:35 AM

I’m open to all action types. I am partial to getting a U/O because I like the concept of two different chokes. I’ve borrowed a buddies before and liked that function. I put that $1000 limit because like you both said, upland use beats a gun up - which I don’t mind. Most my guns show field use wear and I like it that way.

I’ve been running a stoeger m3500 for years as an all purpose gun and it’s done really well and has taken all types of abuse from upland to the duck blind. I’d just like to get a lighter and faster swinging gun for upland finally.
Old 07-09-2018, 12:03 PM

Consider a 16ga - shoots like a 12, carries like a 20. Finding ammo can be a PITA, however and the shift from lead to steel really affects it.

Awesome for upland.

Mine has short barrels as well, 24"?
Old 07-09-2018, 2:57 PM

You can't beat the intersection of quality and price point for the Stoeger line, including their O/Us, Side by Sides, and Semi Autos.
Old 07-09-2018, 4:41 PM

I went and felt a Stoeger Condor today. I have to say it felt a little unnecessarily bulky.

The CZ Woodcock G2 felt real nice and I do love the look of color case hardening. Good price at $650. Does anyone have experience with it?

16 gauge is a cool round, but I don’t reload shotgun and would like to not add a third gauging to my ammo stores(plus each type needs upland and waterfowl load types).

Last edited by BillyGoatCrawler; 07-09-2018 at 5:01 PM..
Old 07-09-2018, 4:42 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Over under or slopamatic?
Old 07-09-2018, 5:02 PM
Calguns Addict

A Beretta A300 is a great gun at a reasonable price. Plus the stock is adjustable.

Old 07-09-2018, 5:43 PM

Quote:
I went and felt a Stoeger Condor today. I have to say it felt a little unnecessarily bulky.

The CZ Woodcock G2 felt real nice and I do love the look of color case hardening. Good price at $650. Does anyone have experience with it?

16 gauge is a cool round, but I don’t reload shotgun and would like to not add a third gauging to my ammo stores(plus each type needs upland and waterfowl load types).

I agree stoeger is bulky especially compared to the CZ. I'm sure the 12s are more bulky than my 20. again I am giving advise for the 20s. I have carried and banged away on it all day. it's isnt bad. the heft gives some advantage to felt recoil. not to say the light weight CZ will kill you by any means but there is a noticeable difference. lol, maybe just my old shoulder. hell, see if you can find some to shoot. they aren't expensive guns so people aren't as protective over them lol. find a calguner up north take him for a beer after, I'm sure someone will let you. if you were in socal id take you give you shells and say have at it lol.

if your gunna be chasing quail you may wanna look at a 20ga./26". I hunted quail before with a Beretta 686 12 ga. I would take that stoeger over that 686 anyday.

Last edited by jbk; 07-09-2018 at 5:45 PM..
Old 07-09-2018, 6:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbk View Post
I agree stoeger is bulky especially compared to the CZ. I'm sure the 12s are more bulky than my 20. again I am giving advise for the 20s. I have carried and banged away on it all day. it's isnt bad. the heft gives some advantage to felt recoil. not to say the light weight CZ will kill you by any means but there is a noticeable difference. lol, maybe just my old shoulder. hell, see if you can find some to shoot. they aren't expensive guns so people aren't as protective over them lol. find a calguner up north take him for a beer after, I'm sure someone will let you. if you were in socal id take you give you shells and say have at it lol.

if your gunna be chasing quail you may wanna look at a 20ga./26". I hunted quail before with a Beretta 686 12 ga. I would take that stoeger over that 686 anyday.
I really like the feel of that CZ... and price... so much so that I impulse bought it. We will see how this goes. ETA it was $650 out the door with veteran discount.

But we can still continue the conversation!

I have a 12 gauge and have taken lots of dove, quail, and a few turkey and pheasant with it. Previously, I wanted a 20 gauge. I’d borrow a buddy’s Mossberg over under in 20 gauge for quail a lot, but honestly the steel handicap and more so my medicocre shooting under tough quail conditions makes me want to stick to 20 guage. I’d get a lot of quail that I just barely winged that would end up not going down or having enough steam to run off into cover. Add in the simplicity that I have a ton of 12 gauge ammo and I’m sold for now.

Last edited by BillyGoatCrawler; 07-09-2018 at 6:47 PM..
Old 07-09-2018, 8:11 PM

I agree with ysr on the A300. Been using one as my primary field gun for the last few years. Comes in at a shade over 7lbs, but balances well, & feels light in the hands. You can also use a sling for the long hikes. Not hard on the wallet, and So far, the only time it failed to go bang, was due to a defective shell.
Old 07-09-2018, 8:34 PM
Veteran Member

https://chukarculture.com/2012/01/08...hotgun-review/

A little over budget.

The Benelli montefeltro in 20 gauge is a good one too.
Old 07-09-2018, 8:58 PM
Veteran Member

https://www.gunsinternational.com/gu...n_id=101052168

https://www.gunsinternational.com/gu...n_id=100957732

https://www.gunsinternational.com/gu...n_id=100819774

If your in the Bay area and want to try one...we can meet
Old 07-09-2018, 10:00 PM

I guess "light" is in the arms of the beholder. I can't consider any gun with 2x the steel as other options light.

I have a Winchester 101 that's awesome, but I mostly carry the Gold Fusion or the 870 for pheasant hunting. I don't think you can go very wrong with many name brand pumps or autos for lighter hunting, swingability, accuracy, and durability.
Old 07-09-2018, 10:04 PM

Quote:
I really like the feel of that CZ... and price... so much so that I impulse bought it. We will see how this goes. ETA it was $650 out the door with veteran discount.

But we can still continue the conversation!

I have a 12 gauge and have taken lots of dove, quail, and a few turkey and pheasant with it. Previously, I wanted a 20 gauge. I’d borrow a buddy’s Mossberg over under in 20 gauge for quail a lot, but honestly the steel handicap and more so my medicocre shooting under tough quail conditions makes me want to stick to 20 guage. I’d get a lot of quail that I just barely winged that would end up not going down or having enough steam to run off into cover. Add in the simplicity that I have a ton of 12 gauge ammo and I’m sold for now.
ahhh, not a impulse buy. that implies you regret it later. you won't regret it. it's a good gun. I actually bought mine for quail. the drake is very light, swings well, and I wanted extractors (personal preference)
you'll have to post or pm a pic when you pick up. and you got a good price i think I paid a hair more for my drake

Last edited by jbk; 07-09-2018 at 10:09 PM..
Old 07-10-2018, 8:40 AM

Benelli Vinci, I think they run about $1100. Really light, comfortable and light recoil. You can put 500 rounds without being even the least bit sore. I hunted and shot clays with it for years, it swings well and has a tough coating with a polymer stock. Field guns take a beating so the polymer is nice for that. I really like the fiber optic sight it comes with as well. I have put at least ten thousand rounds thru mine and have only had 2 or 3 ammo related malfunctions. Best thing you can do is shoot one at a range and see what fits, no sense in buying the fanciest lightest gun if it doesn't fit you. Like the Beretta it also is adjustable albeit a bit more difficult.
Old 07-10-2018, 11:50 AM

O/U - CZ

Auto - Beretta A300
Old 07-10-2018, 11:56 AM
I need a LIFE!!

My favorite is a 20 gauge wing master 870 with a 25” barrel I picked up used years ago

Old 07-10-2018, 3:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ysr_racer View Post
A Beretta A300 is a great gun at a reasonable price. Plus the stock is adjustable.
Very true, the best gun for the money. There is even one NIB for very reasonable price on For sale section. You save more than $100
http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/s....php?t=1431103

Last edited by RandyCat; 07-10-2018 at 6:18 PM..
Old 07-10-2018, 4:20 PM
Veteran Member

Picked up a camo Benelli Nova, 20 gauge. Slipped on a recoil pad to increase lop.

My Beretta a300 is my go to gun.

Used my Rem 870 (cerakoted with magpul furniture) last year too.

Trying to give some cheaper options.
Old 07-10-2018, 4:37 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

CZ redhead premier, 800 Bucs, swings and shoots like a champ, I have a 20 gauge, my buddy has a 28 gauge, we love them
Old 07-10-2018, 5:54 PM

Browning silver 20 ga
Old 07-10-2018, 5:59 PM

A300 seems to be a common one for this topic. I’ll have to check one out next time.

Feeder I appreciate the offer, but I’m further away.
Old 07-10-2018, 6:36 PM

Upland? Over pointing dawgs? An O/U is the way to go... with your budget, look for older Beretta like the BL-4, BL-5, or SE55s and 56s. They are great guns! As good as any modern Beretta and most were hand engraved. They can be had for $850-$1200 in excellent condition.

UNLESS you’re hunting CHUKAR. CHUKAR hunting is not about hunting, is revenge. Requires more fire power.
Old 07-10-2018, 6:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Simonsez View Post
Affordable was the starting point and since I'm partial to semi- autos a Mossberg 930 in 26" wood or polymer is a value at a $600 price. Next would be a Beretta A300 in a nice walnut at $700, but limited to 3 plus 1.
My 930 sports a 24" replacement barrel for the all-around upland Turkey & pheasant gun. Since one already has the receiver, 24" is plenty long enough. [this is up for sale BTW]

If your budget allows, an SX3 or SX4 is my go to for reliability and longevity. If in the market again I would get the Turkey model in 24", but then you're over a grand. I got the walnut SX3 but it's all polymer now and has the short barrel. Does anything hunting and beyond.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Last edited by Simonsez; 07-10-2018 at 7:00 PM..
Old 07-10-2018, 8:40 PM

Wearherby Orion- can be had for about $800
http://www.weatherby.com/orionr-i.html
Old 07-11-2018, 1:27 PM

Benelli MONTEFELTRO in 20 or 12 ga is am amazing lightweight excellent swinging choice. I own both and I hunt dove, quail, and ducks with them. You will not be disapointed with either I guarantee it. It was actually designed to swing like an O/U. Right in your price range too!
Old 07-11-2018, 1:29 PM

Quote:

I really like chasing quail and end up putting quite a few miles on in nasty terrain. Iím looking for something light, swings well, and isnít much over $1000.

Whatís your favorite light weight upland shotgun? Iím thinking Iím going to stick with 12 gauge because the performance loss of steel and my haggard shooting in rough terrain.
I chase and shoot a lot of quail and chukar in the mountains and desert. I have a fair number of shotguns in both 12ga and 20ga, and in all action types.

Hands down, my absolute favorite for that type of hunting is my Benelli M1 20ga. If I know I'm going after chukar or mountain quail I take 3" steel #4 shells.
Old 07-11-2018, 9:47 PM

I really enjoy using my Franchi Instinct SL. Super light, O/U and affordable. There are some this website going for $1100.
Old 07-11-2018, 10:12 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by billped View Post
Consider a 16ga - shoots like a 12, carries like a 20. Finding ammo can be a PITA, however and the shift from lead to steel really affects it.

Awesome for upland.

Mine has short barrels as well, 24"?
I would urge everyone to get a 16 gauge, simply because I'm a big fan.

That being said, a 12 or 20 will be all around easier and cheaper unless you like to reload. When I hunt with a 16 it's almost not fun simply because I'm constantly worried about where my hulls are going, trying to keep them out of salty mud, keep them in the blind, and keep them out of tall grass where I'll never find them. In those regards however life is generally easier with Ithaca 37s or SxSs.

Last edited by NapalmCheese; 07-11-2018 at 10:16 PM..
Old 07-12-2018, 12:41 PM
I need a LIFE!!

Quote:

So, in reality, you want an expensive shotgun (by your description) for under a grand. That is going to be tough to do. The shotgun you want for under a grand is everything the expensive ones are. A Benelli ultra lite is $2600. Its everything you describe.

I suggest you save your money up and try to get into the Franchi line which is part of Benelli. An over/under is about $1250. You might want to look at their semi autos too. You can get a decent one under a grand or as mentioned earlier, a Benelli Montefeltro which is still at or around the $1000 mark. Don't buy a stoeger. They are everything that you said you don't want. Bulky and heavy (over/under line)
Old 07-12-2018, 12:49 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

I have a mossberg silver reserve with chokes I got in a trade new in box still stiff to open. Not going to work for me 5 chokes all papers. Cannot hold a candle to my superposed brownings. PM me. 12 gauge. No slopamatics for me I handload no slopmatics except A5 can cycle reloads reliably. Maybe the old model 11. At least with an old A5 you can reverse the gas ring for high base and lw base reloads.
Old 07-12-2018, 1:22 PM
Calguns Addict

A400 28 gauge.
Old 07-12-2018, 1:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NATEWA View Post
https://chukarculture.com/2012/01/08...hotgun-review/

A little over budget.

The Benelli montefeltro in 20 gauge is a good one too.
They swing like a dream
Old 07-12-2018, 2:10 PM
Cattle Thieves Pro Staff

Sportsmen's Warehouse just send out an email with a coupon code for a A300 for $549 if you buy online and pickup in store
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmonte35 View Post
Disagree. Been trying to teach lewdogg21 how to hunt. It's like trying to teach Steve Wonder how to see. Not sure we're ever going to get there.
Old 07-12-2018, 3:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NapalmCheese View Post
I would urge everyone to get a 16 gauge, simply because I'm a big fan.
Quote:
When I hunt with a 16 it's almost not fun
Old 07-12-2018, 3:05 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RandyCat View Post
Almost != is

The more people hunt with 16s, the more available 16 ammo becomes!

As mentioned, Ithaca 37s and SxSs put the fun back into it by making it easy to find the hulls.
Old 07-12-2018, 3:10 PM

Quote:
Almost != is

The more people hunt with 16s, the more available 16 ammo becomes!

As mentioned, Ithaca 37s and SxSs put the fun back into it by making it easy to find the hulls.
LOL... just pulling your leg.
When everyone started buying 22lr, for 3 years we could not find it in stores. In ammo industry the economics do not always work.
BTW, why waste time on 16 when it is almost 12. I guess it is why it is not much popular
Old 07-12-2018, 3:22 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RandyCat View Post
BTW, why waste time on 16 when it is almost 12. I guess it is why it is not much popular
Better patterns with smaller payloads. The smaller frames of 16 gauge guns feel better to handle. The lighter weight of 16 gauge guns is more fun to carry in the fields, woods, and marshes. The purple shells are cool looking.

If you subscribe to the 'square load' idea, the 16 gauge is perfect with 1oz of shot, and 1oz of shot is perfect for most game. A 16 patterns 1 oz of shot very well, some would argue better than a 12. I don't know, as I've not patterned my 12s with 1 oz, sticking to 1-1/4 oz of steel for ducks.

So, 12s get a heavier payload, that heavier payload recoils more. More recoil benefits from having a heavier gun, luckily since everything about the 12 is bigger, they are also heavier. Which is great, unless you plan on carrying your shotgun for 10 miles while walking up and down the hills looking for a few birds.

Sure you could carry a 20, but a 7/8 oz load starts to look pretty scant on long shots. What about magnum 20 gauge with payloads of 1 oz or greater? They don't pattern nearly as well as an ounce of shot from a 16.

So, for any hunting where you'll be walking a lot and shooting possibly large wild birds potentially kind of far away with lead or something nearly as dense, a 16 makes more sense than about anything else. I don't know about you, but that situation sounds like most of the shotgun hunting people do (outside of waterfowl) to me. I guess it's more fun for the 20 gauge people to tell the 12 gauge people that 12s are too much gun for doves; and for the 12 gauge people to remind the 20 gauge people that their patterns aren't dense enough for long shots without tight chokes.

Edit to add: It's unfortunate because I can walk into Wal-Mart in Wyoming and buy lead 16 gauge right off the shelf for upland game. Most stores don't carry it in CA, I'm guessing because there's very little non-tox available (historically). Though I have bought non-tox 16 in stores in CA before.