Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > GENERAL DISCUSSION > Technology and Internet
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Technology and Internet Emerging and current tech related issues. Internet, DRM, IP, and other technology related discussions.

Old 12-15-2012, 7:17 AM
Banned

Default laptop shuts off & will not go full screen video

So I have this Toshiba Satellite L355D-S7901. If I try to play any video game on a full screen it will just shut off after a few minutes. I am thinking the video GPU is over heating...right? This has been going on for a year. I solved this by playing video games in windowed mode and shrunk the screen side down to a smaller box about 1/2 the screen size. I can then play Elder Scrolls on low detail. The only time it would shut down is if I did something crazy like run full speed outside for like 2 minutes straight.

Now the latest problem is if I go full screen on any video I get a blank screen and sound. No picture. I can again view in a smaller window, but nothing full screen.

I talked to a local computer repair guy and he said, it can't be the video board, it must be drivers... This confused me since he said heat would not cause either of these problems.

So what say you guys... I haven't started driver re-installs yet. I woulds like the hives input on this first.

Thanks
Old 12-15-2012, 3:36 PM

It sounds like it could be that your video card can't handle the graphics of the game. Try updating the drivers and see what happens after that. If that doesn't resolve the issue, it might be that the hardware isn't compatible with the game. Good luck.
Old 12-15-2012, 4:16 PM

Sounds like a driver issue or a cooling issue. When the CPU overheats you can usually tell as everything starts running slower and slower until the computer just reboots or shuts down automatically. If the GPU is overheating I usually start seeing artifacts on my screen and everything becomes choppy when it finally reboots or shuts down.

If I were you I would update or maybe even reinstall all the drivers and if that doesn't work start checking if any of the fans in the laptop have died. If you need to monitor your temperatures I think CPUID has a free utility called hardware monitor that can show temps.
Old 12-15-2012, 4:23 PM
CGN Contributor

i had that issue with a laptop a few years ago, fixed it by purchasing a laptop cooler that plugged into one of the laptops usb ports.

Old 12-15-2012, 4:25 PM

Try a lower screen resolution and then go full screen.
Try reducing/disabling graphic hardware acceleration.

good luck.
Old 12-16-2012, 9:52 AM
Banned

Thank you. I do have a lap cooler. I have taken the case apart and I can hear the fan spinning. Maybe the heat sink has separated from the chip or the paste has a bubble in it, I don't know. I have not taken that apart yet, and don't feel I have that level skill.

I am gong to try a full driver update when I get the chance. I just hate the fact I can't tell the computer to re-install.... it always just says, "You have the latest and greatest version of drivers, go away and don't bug me you stupid user."
Old 12-24-2012, 12:58 PM
Veteran Member

It's more likely to be a driver incompatibility than overheating, although overheating does occur frequently enough to be considered. For a lot of PC gamers, "tuning" the video driver versions to match certain games has become quite the art form...

One way to test if it's just overheating is to drive the video card hard using something else, such as another game that does work with the drivers you have, heavy video like 1080p or higher quality movies, or GPU-based processing like Bitcoin mining. If the video dies for these other tests, it's likely overheating and not a driver issue. If it only dies for that one game, it's most likely just the drivers.
Old 12-24-2012, 12:58 PM
Veteran Member

It's more likely to be a driver incompatibility than overheating, although overheating does occur frequently enough to be considered. For a lot of PC gamers, "tuning" the video driver versions to match certain games has become quite the art form...

One way to test if it's just overheating is to drive the video card hard using something else, such as another game that does work with the drivers you have, heavy video like 1080p or higher quality movies, or GPU-based processing like Bitcoin mining. If the video dies for these other tests, it's likely overheating and not a driver issue. If it only dies for that one game, it's most likely just the drivers.
Old 12-24-2012, 8:58 PM
Banned

thank you.