Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > FIREARMS DISCUSSIONS > Shotgun discussions
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Shotgun discussions Trap, Hunting, Defense and more. A place for enthusiasts to discuss the shotgun.

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 11-26-2017, 7:04 PM
JAYCG JAYCG is offline
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2017
Posts: 2
iTrader: 0 / 0%
Red face Vepr 12 gauge AK frame.

I have a vepr 12 gauge and I changed the pistol grip to a monster grip Style, it's like a grip wrap, and I'm having trouble trying to register as non assault, I'm located in Northern California, I went to three gun shops already and they don't I know what I should do next. Any suggestions this is my favorite shotgun so far and want to keep it.
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 11-26-2017, 7:32 PM
Quiet's Avatar
Quiet Quiet is offline
retired Goon
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: San Bernardino County
Posts: 21,518
iTrader: 10 / 100%
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by JAYCG View Post
I have a vepr 12 gauge and I changed the pistol grip to a monster grip Style, it's like a grip wrap, and I'm having trouble trying to register as non assault, I'm located in Northern California, I went to three gun shops already and they don't I know what I should do next. Any suggestions this is my favorite shotgun so far and want to keep it.
CA assault weapons laws for shotguns are different than those for rifles and handguns.
What may be legal for one, may not be legal for another.

Not having a pistol grip does nothing to change the classification of a semi-auto shotgun that does not have a fixed magazine.

If the VEPR-12 has the factory magazine release or has a "bullet button" style magazine lock, then it's considered an assault weapon in CA. [PC 30515(a)(7)]


If you legally acquired your VEPR-12/Saiga-12 before 2017, then you have the following options:

A. Registered Assault Weapon.
You register it as an assault weapon before 07-01-2018.

B. Semi-auto shotgun with a fixed magazine.
Install a fixed magazine to the shotgun.
This can be done using a device that will prevent the magazine from being removed unless the firearm's action is disassembled or by permanently attaching (weld/epoxy/rivet) a magazine into the firearm's magazine well.

C. Manually operated shotgun.
Remove the gas-piston and plug the gas block.
This will make it into a manually operated (straight pull bolt-action) shotgun.

D. Disassembled parts.
Disassemble the firearm into parts and never assembled them while in CA.
It is prudent to store/transport the parts in seperate containers/locations.
__________________


"If someone has a gun and is trying to kill you, it would be reasonable to shoot back with your own gun. - Dalai Lama (Seattle Times, 05-15-2001).

Last edited by Quiet; 11-26-2017 at 7:50 PM..
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 11-27-2017, 10:44 PM
JAYCG JAYCG is offline
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2017
Posts: 2
iTrader: 0 / 0%
Default Veper 12 Gage

I love this gun so much I'm really thinking about making this a bowl action wow didn't think this day would come.
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 12-06-2017, 11:59 PM
eric90503 eric90503 is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Redondo Beach, CA
Posts: 715
iTrader: 13 / 100%
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quiet View Post
CA assault weapons laws for shotguns are different than those for rifles and handguns.
What may be legal for one, may not be legal for another.

Not having a pistol grip does nothing to change the classification of a semi-auto shotgun that does not have a fixed magazine.

If the VEPR-12 has the factory magazine release or has a "bullet button" style magazine lock, then it's considered an assault weapon in CA. [PC 30515(a)(7)]


If you legally acquired your VEPR-12/Saiga-12 before 2017, then you have the following options:

A. Registered Assault Weapon.
You register it as an assault weapon before 07-01-2018.

B. Semi-auto shotgun with a fixed magazine.
Install a fixed magazine to the shotgun.
This can be done using a device that will prevent the magazine from being removed unless the firearm's action is disassembled or by permanently attaching (weld/epoxy/rivet) a magazine into the firearm's magazine well.

C. Manually operated shotgun.
Remove the gas-piston and plug the gas block.
This will make it into a manually operated (straight pull bolt-action) shotgun.

D. Disassembled parts.
Disassemble the firearm into parts and never assembled them while in CA.
It is prudent to store/transport the parts in seperate containers/locations.
can you ppt a vepr12 if the magazine is fixed?
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 12-07-2017, 4:09 PM
Quiet's Avatar
Quiet Quiet is offline
retired Goon
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: San Bernardino County
Posts: 21,518
iTrader: 10 / 100%
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by eric90503 View Post
can you ppt a vepr12 if the magazine is fixed?
Yes.
As long as the 10 or less round magazine meets the current definition of "fixed magazine", which is a magazine that can not be removed without disassembling the firearm's action or a magazine that is permanently attached in the firearm's magazine well.
__________________


"If someone has a gun and is trying to kill you, it would be reasonable to shoot back with your own gun. - Dalai Lama (Seattle Times, 05-15-2001).
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 12-07-2017, 4:58 PM
eric90503 eric90503 is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Redondo Beach, CA
Posts: 715
iTrader: 13 / 100%
Default

Thanks Quiet.

If anyone know of any FFL's in the SoCal area that is willing to transfer these type of firearms please PM me. I've got a few items to move...

Thanks
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump



All times are GMT -8. The time now is 11:26 AM.




Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.9
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Proudly hosted by GeoVario the Premier 2A host.
Calguns.net, the 'Calguns' name and all associated variants and logos are ® Trademark and © Copyright 2002-2018, Calguns.net an Incorporated Company All Rights Reserved.