Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > SPECIALTY FORUMS > Discussions of Faith
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 12-06-2017, 7:20 PM
kidicarus kidicarus is offline
Banned
 
Join Date: Jul 2015
Posts: 31
iTrader: 0 / 0%
Default on Christians and alcohol...

Teetotaler Christians love to make this a point of pride towards people, especially members of my own family.
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 12-06-2017, 7:45 PM
theLBC's Avatar
theLBC theLBC is online now
Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2017
Posts: 124
iTrader: 1 / 100%
Default

would christ turn water into wine if it was wrong to consume it?
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 12-06-2017, 7:50 PM
FresnoRob's Avatar
FresnoRob FresnoRob is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2013
Location: Fresno
Posts: 1,877
iTrader: 7 / 100%
Default

There is much discussion on both sides of this. I have Chirstian friends who won’t touch a drop and some who have wine every meal. My view is it’s ok in moderation. I never drink if I have to drive after. I haven’t been drunk in many years. YMMV
__________________
“No Kingdom can be secured otherwise than by arming the people. The possession of arms is the distinction between a freeman and a slave.”
- James Burgh
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 12-06-2017, 8:06 PM
superdave50 superdave50 is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2017
Location: Central valley
Posts: 172
iTrader: 1 / 100%
Default

That's one way to start a cordial discussion
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 12-06-2017, 8:25 PM
Sailormilan2 Sailormilan2 is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Bakersfield, CA
Posts: 2,139
iTrader: 3 / 100%
Default

I was raised in a religion that taught God never said alcoholic beverages were allowed to be consumed.
Then I looked up things in a Concordance and discovered that God commanded that (alcoholic) wine( Hebrew "yayin") be supplied as drink offerings with sacrifices 8 times in the Law(Exodus, Leviticus, and Deuteronomy), and the use of (alcoholic) strong drink(Hebrew "shekar") once.
Then I found the verses in Luke where it appears that Christ says He drank wine.
It's kinda hard to say God doesn't approve of it when He commands its use and says He used it.

Last edited by Sailormilan2; 12-07-2017 at 5:40 AM..
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 12-06-2017, 8:50 PM
kidicarus kidicarus is offline
Banned
 
Join Date: Jul 2015
Posts: 31
iTrader: 0 / 0%
Default

My sister and brother in law are a couple of fruit loops. They go to a church that teaches that once you're a Christian, you are no longer a sinner. Then they get pissed because they can't prove that alcohol is forbidden from scripture. That one really ticks them off. In short, they love their own self righteousness and stealing all the Glory that belongs to God alone.
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 12-06-2017, 9:39 PM
RAMCLAP's Avatar
RAMCLAP RAMCLAP is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: Orange, CA
Posts: 1,910
iTrader: 2 / 100%
Default

Presbyterian. So, scotch must be consumed.
__________________
John 2:5
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 12-06-2017, 9:41 PM
Guns and guitars's Avatar
Guns and guitars Guns and guitars is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: In the mountains....
Posts: 1,064
iTrader: 6 / 100%
Default

Moderation.
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 12-06-2017, 10:16 PM
damon1272 damon1272 is offline
Veteran Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Posts: 3,196
iTrader: 10 / 100%
Default

Don't touch alcohol anymore. But that is just me. Drink in moderation.
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 12-09-2017, 7:40 AM
RAMCLAP's Avatar
RAMCLAP RAMCLAP is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: Orange, CA
Posts: 1,910
iTrader: 2 / 100%
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sailormilan2 View Post
I was raised in a religion that taught God never said alcoholic beverages were allowed to be consumed.
Then I looked up things in a Concordance and discovered that God commanded that (alcoholic) wine( Hebrew "yayin") be supplied as drink offerings with sacrifices 8 times in the Law(Exodus, Leviticus, and Deuteronomy), and the use of (alcoholic) strong drink(Hebrew "shekar") once.
Then I found the verses in Luke where it appears that Christ says He drank wine.
It's kinda hard to say God doesn't approve of it when He commands its use and says He used it.
The Lord's first miracle. And it wasn't just wine, it was the best wine ever made.
__________________
John 2:5
Reply With Quote
  #11  
Old 12-09-2017, 7:46 AM
wpage's Avatar
wpage wpage is offline
Veteran Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Posts: 3,584
iTrader: 2 / 100%
Default

+1 on loving miracles. If it was the first miracle Jesus performed. It must be for real...
__________________
God so loved the world He gave His only Son... Believe in Him and have everlasting life.
John 3:16

United Air Epic Fail Video https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u99Q7pNAjvg
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old 12-09-2017, 8:09 AM
Wordupmybrotha's Avatar
Wordupmybrotha Wordupmybrotha is offline
From anotha motha
CGN Contributor
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Location: Pasadena, CA
Posts: 3,355
iTrader: 47 / 100%
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by kidicarus View Post
My sister and brother in law are a couple of fruit loops. They go to a church that teaches that once you're a Christian, you are no longer a sinner. Then they get pissed because they can't prove that alcohol is forbidden from scripture. That one really ticks them off. In short, they love their own self righteousness and stealing all the Glory that belongs to God alone.
How are they stealing all the glory from God by advocating no alcohol consumption?
Reply With Quote
  #13  
Old 12-09-2017, 8:38 AM
AR_danny AR_danny is offline
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2014
Posts: 12
iTrader: 2 / 100%
Default

We know Jesus turned water into wine, and Paul tells Timothy to drink a little wine to cure his stomach ailments. But scripture also says don’t be filled with too much wine for this is debauchery. With that being said, moderation. 👍
Reply With Quote
  #14  
Old 12-09-2017, 10:53 AM
Sailormilan2 Sailormilan2 is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Bakersfield, CA
Posts: 2,139
iTrader: 3 / 100%
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by RAMCLAP View Post
The Lord's first miracle. And it wasn't just wine, it was the best wine ever made.
Agreed. The last verse in that chapter speaks of bringing out the best wine after people were already drunk. Yet this group insists that Christ would never make wine because He wouldn't want anyone to get drunk.
The rationale makes no sense.
Reply With Quote
  #15  
Old 12-09-2017, 11:23 AM
FatCity67's Avatar
FatCity67 FatCity67 is offline
Veteran Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Posts: 3,022
iTrader: 14 / 100%
Default

Because nobody religious has ever weaponized their belief structure to proselytize.
Reply With Quote
  #16  
Old 12-09-2017, 3:21 PM
RAMCLAP's Avatar
RAMCLAP RAMCLAP is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: Orange, CA
Posts: 1,910
iTrader: 2 / 100%
Default

Acts 2:15
15 These people are not drunk, as you suppose. It’s only nine in the morning!

Now I don't like scriptural speculation. Since Peter noted to the people that they aren't drunk as it is only 0900. Tells me that if you came back at Happy Hour the Apostle's would be partying.
__________________
John 2:5
Reply With Quote
  #17  
Old 12-09-2017, 7:13 PM
kidicarus kidicarus is offline
Banned
 
Join Date: Jul 2015
Posts: 31
iTrader: 0 / 0%
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sailormilan2 View Post
Agreed. The last verse in that chapter speaks of bringing out the best wine after people were already drunk. Yet this group insists that Christ would never make wine because He wouldn't want anyone to get drunk.
The rationale makes no sense.
Interesting! So getting drunk isn't exactly forbidden in scripture huh? That sure is what it sounds like!
Reply With Quote
  #18  
Old 12-09-2017, 7:15 PM
kidicarus kidicarus is offline
Banned
 
Join Date: Jul 2015
Posts: 31
iTrader: 0 / 0%
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wordupmybrotha View Post
How are they stealing all the glory from God by advocating no alcohol consumption?
They become like that Pharisee in the parable of the Pharisee and Tax Collector, "Thank you Lord that I am not like this tax collector, I pay my tithes, I fast, I don't drink alcohol..." okay I added the alcohol part, but I think you understand.

Instead of focusing on the Gospel and humbling themselves because there is nothing they can do to make themselves right, but only Jesus' finished work, they like to pat themselves on the back because they are teetotalers, and they let everyone else in my family know it.
Reply With Quote
  #19  
Old 12-09-2017, 7:43 PM
71MUSTY's Avatar
71MUSTY 71MUSTY is offline
Calguns Addict
 
Join Date: Mar 2014
Posts: 5,636
iTrader: 15 / 100%
Default

If god didn't want people to drink Why did he create Scotch?
__________________
We stand for the Anthem, we kneel for the cross


We already have the only reasonable Gun Control we need, It's called the Second Amendment and it's the government it controls.
Reply With Quote
  #20  
Old 12-09-2017, 9:35 PM
Wordupmybrotha's Avatar
Wordupmybrotha Wordupmybrotha is offline
From anotha motha
CGN Contributor
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Location: Pasadena, CA
Posts: 3,355
iTrader: 47 / 100%
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by kidicarus View Post
They become like that Pharisee in the parable of the Pharisee and Tax Collector, "Thank you Lord that I am not like this tax collector, I pay my tithes, I fast, I don't drink alcohol..." okay I added the alcohol part, but I think you understand.

Instead of focusing on the Gospel and humbling themselves because there is nothing they can do to make themselves right, but only Jesus' finished work, they like to pat themselves on the back because they are teetotalers, and they let everyone else in my family know it.
Your sister and BIL might be seeking approval of men or the approval of God by their works. I don't know.

But my invitation to you is, what is your posture towards them in light of the parable that you just referenced?
Reply With Quote
  #21  
Old 12-09-2017, 10:18 PM
Alan Block Alan Block is offline
Veteran Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Posts: 2,794
iTrader: 0 / 0%
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by RAMCLAP View Post
The Lord's first miracle. And it wasn't just wine, it was the best wine ever made.
A robust red with hints of Frankincense and Myrrh. A strong finish that will make you think you could walk on water.
Reply With Quote
  #22  
Old 12-10-2017, 12:52 PM
Rizzo's Avatar
Rizzo Rizzo is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Shasta County
Posts: 212
iTrader: 3 / 100%
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan Block View Post
A robust red with hints of Frankincense and Myrrh. A strong finish that will make you think you could walk on water.
That gave me a good laugh!
Thanks.
Reply With Quote
  #23  
Old 12-11-2017, 7:50 PM
kidicarus kidicarus is offline
Banned
 
Join Date: Jul 2015
Posts: 31
iTrader: 0 / 0%
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wordupmybrotha View Post
Your sister and BIL might be seeking approval of men or the approval of God by their works. I don't know.

But my invitation to you is, what is your posture towards them in light of the parable that you just referenced?
I told them straight up that they are exactly like that Pharisee and that they are deluded by religious works and don't really understand the Gospel otherwise they wouldn't be so arrogant with their self back-patting because they are teetotalers.
Reply With Quote
  #24  
Old 12-11-2017, 9:45 PM
Wordupmybrotha's Avatar
Wordupmybrotha Wordupmybrotha is offline
From anotha motha
CGN Contributor
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Location: Pasadena, CA
Posts: 3,355
iTrader: 47 / 100%
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by kidicarus View Post
I told them straight up that they are exactly like that Pharisee and that they are deluded by religious works and don't really understand the Gospel otherwise they wouldn't be so arrogant with their self back-patting because they are teetotalers.
I find myself being that Pharisee too when I point out someone for being a Pharisee.
Reply With Quote
  #25  
Old 12-11-2017, 10:18 PM
sfpcservice's Avatar
sfpcservice sfpcservice is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Suisun City
Posts: 1,404
iTrader: 0 / 0%
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by kidicarus View Post
Interesting! So getting drunk isn't exactly forbidden in scripture huh? That sure is what it sounds like!
1 Corinthians 6:10

nor thieves nor the greedy nor drunkards nor slanderers nor swindlers will inherit the kingdom of God.


So I wouldn't bet the farm on your statement. Knowingly sinning is a dangerous business in my opinion. Allow the Holy Spirit to tell you when that is.
Reply With Quote
  #26  
Old 12-12-2017, 6:41 PM
kidicarus kidicarus is offline
Banned
 
Join Date: Jul 2015
Posts: 31
iTrader: 0 / 0%
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wordupmybrotha View Post
I find myself being that Pharisee too when I point out someone for being a Pharisee.

I disagree. That doesn't add up at all.
Reply With Quote
  #27  
Old 12-12-2017, 6:44 PM
hunterb's Avatar
hunterb hunterb is offline
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: SGV
Posts: 2,563
iTrader: 69 / 100%
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by kidicarus View Post
My sister and brother in law are a couple of fruit loops. They go to a church that teaches that once you're a Christian, you are no longer a sinner. Then they get pissed because they can't prove that alcohol is forbidden from scripture. That one really ticks them off. In short, they love their own self righteousness and stealing all the Glory that belongs to God alone.
Pharisees. They have been around since Jesus' time. Oops I post too slowly!
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnthomas View Post
...The hardest part getting rid of crap is getting started.

Last edited by hunterb; 12-12-2017 at 6:46 PM..
Reply With Quote
  #28  
Old 12-12-2017, 7:03 PM
otteray otteray is offline
Veteran Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: Santa Cruz & Lake Tahoe
Posts: 2,935
iTrader: 6 / 100%
Default

In heaven there is no beer.
That's why we drink it here (Right Here!)
and when we're gone from here,
our friends will be drinking all the beer!
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #29  
Old 12-12-2017, 7:53 PM
Redneck Geek's Avatar
Redneck Geek Redneck Geek is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: PRC
Posts: 764
iTrader: 7 / 100%
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by superdave50 View Post
That's one way to start a cordial discussion
Nicely done.
Reply With Quote
  #30  
Old 12-12-2017, 8:02 PM
ar15robert ar15robert is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Posts: 1,703
iTrader: 3 / 100%
Default

I have an aunt and uncle who are very christian.They dont consume alcohol but they have a bottle of bacardi at home for guest.They also dont care if others drink they say being christian doesnt mean your against drinking they just choose not to.They also say they go to other church members homes for a party and they say they see more alcohol coming out.

Only gripe my uncle has if he sees any friends kid or family who is under 21 drinking alcohol he will personally take their drink away.
Reply With Quote
  #31  
Old 12-12-2017, 9:44 PM
RandyD's Avatar
RandyD RandyD is offline
Calguns Addict
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: La Jolla, California
Posts: 5,179
iTrader: 40 / 100%
Default

Sounds like a great topic to bring up at Christmas dinner.
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #32  
Old 12-12-2017, 9:50 PM
Flyron's Avatar
Flyron Flyron is offline
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor
 
Join Date: Dec 2014
Location: SoCal
Posts: 260
iTrader: 2 / 100%
Default

Heard that most Catholic priests drink wine to maintain their celibacy?
Reply With Quote
  #33  
Old 12-12-2017, 10:04 PM
johnthomas's Avatar
johnthomas johnthomas is offline
Calguns Addict
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Monterey County
Posts: 6,337
iTrader: 2 / 100%
Default

Are you asking for permission OP?

As for me, I quit drinking 32 years ago. For me, I am more whole. I could never control booze. For anyone else, religion or not, as long as your not putting other people in danger, drink or don't drink.
__________________
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.
Samuel Adams
Reply With Quote
  #34  
Old 12-13-2017, 1:18 AM
TrailerparkTrash's Avatar
TrailerparkTrash TrailerparkTrash is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: DPRK- Democratic People's Republic of Koreafornia
Posts: 2,201
iTrader: 0 / 0%
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by kidicarus View Post
My sister and brother in law are a couple of fruit loops. They go to a church that teaches that once you're a Christian, you are no longer a sinner.
Side tracking here a bit but to clarify, no true Christian church teaches that Christians let alone anyone else, is “NOT” a sinner.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kidicarus
In short, they love their own self righteousness....
Yup, they’re “sinning” right there.


It’s interesting but I seem to know the same type of people as well.
__________________


My views:

-I hate being bipolar its awesome.

-Life member, NRA
-Hold my beer. Watch this.
-Trump.
-ΙΧΘΥΣ <><

-🏌️🏌️🏌️
Reply With Quote
  #35  
Old 12-13-2017, 8:28 AM
RandyD's Avatar
RandyD RandyD is offline
Calguns Addict
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: La Jolla, California
Posts: 5,179
iTrader: 40 / 100%
Default

The real issue is legalism, which is the strict adherence to a law, rule, regulation, or formula to govern your behavior. Sharia law is a prime example of legalism, and our country is increasingly becoming legalistic (which is another discussion). Instead of being legalistic, Christians are called to live by faith, which is a righteous path, where sometimes a behavior is appropriate and other times the same behavior is inappropriate, your judgment and faith will determine if and when a behavior is appropriate.
__________________
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump



All times are GMT -8. The time now is 6:28 AM.




Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.9
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Proudly hosted by GeoVario the Premier 2A host.
Calguns.net, the 'Calguns' name and all associated variants and logos are ® Trademark and © Copyright 2002-2018, Calguns.net an Incorporated Company All Rights Reserved.