Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > GENERAL DISCUSSION > General gun discussions
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

General gun discussions This is a place to lounge and discuss firearm related topics with other forum members.

View Poll Results: Are you hoarding ammunition?
Yes. 160 65.31%
No. 44 17.96%
There's an ammo law taking effect? 41 16.73%
Voters: 245. You may not vote on this poll

Old 12-20-2017, 10:02 PM

BULKAMMO.COM is still taking orders till FRIDAY - get on it guys...
Old 12-21-2017, 10:12 AM
Veteran Member

I've been doing that (hoarding ammo) for years, nothing new
"The only thing necessary for the triumph [of evil] is for good men to do nothing." Edmund Burke speech of 23 April 1770, "Thoughts on the Cause of the Present Discontents," delivered to the House of Commons.
Old 12-22-2017, 9:27 AM

Spending $10-$20K on ammo is a fools errand. You'll eventually run out and then you're either investing in reloading or bootlegging.

If you're old and 5k rounds will take you to the end, sure buy ammo and smile at us chumps making it (not a fan of making ammo, but it does save a bunch of money and makes stocking up easier).

But if you're under the age of 60, take half of that $10K and invest in reloading equipment and supplies. You'll be set up and ready to make ammo and never worry about the idiocy your legislators foist upon you again.

And when these legislators do decide to "regulate" components, the gloves come off. Everybody knows someone, or knows someone who knows someone who lives in Nevada, so it will just become a shopping destination periodically. Nobody will bother complying with their laws, and their (legislators) "success" will be their demise.
Old 12-22-2017, 10:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by .40Cal View Post
BULKAMMO.COM is still taking orders till FRIDAY - get on it guys...

Freedom Munitions stopped taking CA orders on the 20th.

Last edited by beauregard; 12-22-2017 at 10:23 AM..
Old 12-22-2017, 12:25 PM

The "Blind Pig" or "Speakeasy" was born in the 1920's for a reason.

When people like myself have a few ounces of ammo and decide to move whether within the state or escape totally, find that moving the weight and limited sales ability will be problematic.

The same goes for a surviving spouse should the other die and wants to clear it out.

Licenses, limits and fees will make both scenarios a nightmare. (Plan ahead)!

I hope I read the legislative docs wrong and that will not be the case.

...but I have one more delivery incoming for a arm that I don't own..

Respectfully
Kyle

WE are the NRA.

_________+__________

Last edited by Kyle1886; 12-22-2017 at 12:48 PM..
Old 12-22-2017, 12:43 PM

I don't shoot all that often, but I bought about 12K rounds of various calibers over the period January thru October 2017...I should not have to pay local ammo-rape prices for a while...LOL
Old 12-22-2017, 12:52 PM
I need a LIFE!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert1234 View Post
And when these legislators do decide to "regulate" components, the gloves come off. Everybody knows someone, or knows someone who knows someone who lives in Nevada, so it will just become a shopping destination periodically. Nobody will bother complying with their laws, and their (legislators) "success" will be their demise.
your a bit late with the gloves coming off. the gloves came off once CA decided to institute their own AWB decades ago.

this new ammo law won't stop that many from bringing in ammo from out of state once they see the burden of buying ammo in store will be.

i mean they can't even stop people from bringing in illegal in CA fireworks every year and those are way more dangerous to the state than ammo is.
Proof we can all comment on whatever we want if it's at all related to the topic at hand!
Old 12-22-2017, 12:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert1234 View Post
Spending $10-$20K on ammo is a fools errand.
That was a fool's statement. There are numerous reasons that some people can't or shouldn't reload, then the many that just don't want to reload.
Old 12-22-2017, 1:10 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigFatGuy View Post
If I remember right, the building codes for American cities are all in the range (I am not a lawyer or contractor) of 40lbs/sqft, evenly distributed. (it gets to be less if the room is particularly large with an unsupported floor span)

I also found this: https://www.ar15.com/forums/ar-15/Am...ers/16-628973/

i haven't verified the #'s, but the numbers for a full can are in the right ballpark for our purposes.

So, assuming you spread the cans evenly across the entire room, multiply length x width, and that's about how many ammo cans you can have in the room. It's higher if you put them all against the wall, or if there is a supporting structure in the middle of the floor.
40lbs per square foot is not much, most furniture weighs well over that and a single 50Cal ammo can filled with 45ACP exceeds that, so there is no way that number can be correct.
Old 12-22-2017, 1:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 97F1504RAD View Post
40lbs per square foot is not much, most furniture weighs well over that and a single 50Cal ammo can filled with 45ACP exceeds that, so there is no way that number can be correct.
That is correct: it's the total load for the floor, before unacceptable flex, assuming evenly distributed. It doesn't mean putting 41 lbs in one foot will punch through your floor... but it should give you a ROUGH idea of the kind of weight loads 2nd floor rooms were intended to handle.

Use and share my free target for the Pistol Marksman test of the Winchester/NRA Marksmanship Qualification Program.
Old 12-22-2017, 1:43 PM

Unless you were a competitive shooter or shot specialty ammo or just really enjoyed reloading, reloading made no economic sense for the average guy with a 9mm, a 45, and a 223. Prop 63 may change that equation somewhat, depending on what Walmart does and whether somebody clever figures out there's big money to be made by selling ammo at a reasonable price. But even so, the time reloading takes will still make it a very niche activity.
Old 12-22-2017, 1:51 PM

I think Calgunners are also overestimating compliance. Calgunners seem to be probably more affluent than the average California gun owner with stable, professional office-type jobs. They are essentially law-abiding folk, and if they're not going to register their full-featured non-compliant AR, it's because they're making a conscious choice to ignore the law for ideological reasons.

Most gun owners, my vague sense is, have no clue about these laws, and if they do, they will likely (probably accurately) figure, "nobody is going to arrest me driving back from Nevada with ammo."
Old 12-22-2017, 2:00 PM
Dirt Farmer
CGN Contributor

^ I am not affluent at all. Quite the contrary.

Floor load is why most of my ammo was moved to pallet racking in an outbuilding with a 6" concrete slab. House is not on a slab, and lots of full ammo cans stacked in a closet was causing concern.

I have a lifetime supply of some, others I reload.
Old 12-22-2017, 3:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Califpatriot View Post
I think Calgunners are also overestimating compliance. Calgunners seem to be probably more affluent than the average California gun owner with stable, professional office-type jobs. They are essentially law-abiding folk, and if they're not going to register their full-featured non-compliant AR, it's because they're making a conscious choice to ignore the law for ideological reasons.

Most gun owners, my vague sense is, have no clue about these laws, and if they do, they will likely (probably accurately) figure, "nobody is going to arrest me driving back from Nevada with ammo."
I'm far from affluent. I obey the laws that say 'don't harm others', but not because they're laws of the state/country. Any law that when broken doesn't produce a victim shouldn't exist and I won't follow it unless I'm being watched by a LEO.
Old 12-23-2017, 11:46 AM

Walmart
Glock 23 with Buffalo Bore on the hip.
Old 12-23-2017, 3:06 PM

Only .22 I buy it when I see it at wallyworld.