Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > POLITICS, LITIGATION AND ACTIVISM > How CA Laws Apply to/Affect Me
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 05-25-2018, 3:28 PM
I'm with stupid ☝️
CGN Contributor - Lifetime

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mustang View Post
I sent my reg in on 4/27...Is it too early to inquire?
Sent your AW registration on 4/27, or sent your Form 1008 (serial number request) on 4/27?

If it's the first one, then ya it's a bit early to start inquiring. If it's the second one, then I'd send them an email, you probably should've gotten the serials by now.
Old 05-25-2018, 3:52 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cockedandglocked View Post
Sent your AW registration on 4/27, or sent your Form 1008 (serial number request) on 4/27?

If it's the first one, then ya it's a bit early to start inquiring. If it's the second one, then I'd send them an email, you probably should've gotten the serials by now.
Sent in my AW registration. I do not have to request a SN...all my AW's are factory made and were purchased.

Is the FSC only required if you are applying for a serial number?

Last edited by Mustang; 05-25-2018 at 3:55 PM..
Old 05-25-2018, 4:02 PM
I'm with stupid ☝️

Quote:
Sent in my AW registration. I do not have to request a SN...all my AW's are factory made and were purchased.

Is the FSC only required if you are applying for a serial number?
Oh, ya that's why I was confused. FSC is definitely not required for AW reg, there isn't even a box for it on the application.
Old 05-25-2018, 4:04 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Oh, ya that's why I was confused. FSC is definitely not required for AW reg, there isn't even a box for it on the application.
Wheew! I was confused there, myself.

Thanks for straightening me out!
Old 05-25-2018, 6:39 PM
Calguns Addict

received my letter yesterday. So; about a 22 day delay between the email saying I will be notified and the letter.
Old 05-25-2018, 6:43 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sl0re10 View Post
received my letter yesterday. So; about a 22 day delay between the email saying I will be notified and the letter.
When did you input your forms?
Old 05-25-2018, 7:02 PM

Quote:
Yep, that's all correct.

Just make sure it's 30" or longer when you register it. After it's registered, 26" is the new OAL requirement for it.

Yep, DOJ wants us to check that box for PRS stocks, for whatever dumb reason. Probably not worth arguing with them about it.
I have a Magpul ACS stock on my MP15. I did not select folding stock/ telescoping stock for my application when I submitted. Do I just go to the report an issue link, reference my CRIS# and explain the issue? Thank you in advance

Last edited by AmirGTS; 05-25-2018 at 7:28 PM..
Old 05-25-2018, 8:04 PM
I'm with stupid ☝️

Quote:
Originally Posted by AmirGTS View Post
I have a Magpul ACS stock on my MP15. I did not select folding stock/ telescoping stock for my application when I submitted. Do I just go to the report an issue link, reference my CRIS# and explain the issue? Thank you in advance
Yep, exactly.

They'll mark your app as "incomplete" so you can make the change and resubmit it.

For whatever reason, they refuse to make changes to apps themselves; probably so they don't have any liability for mistakes.
Old 05-25-2018, 8:17 PM
Veteran Member

DOJ will not answer questions if the application is within 60 days of it's initiation. That's what they told me when I inquired.
Quote:
Originally Posted by PMACA_MFG View Post
Not checkers, not chess, its Jenga.
"The California matrix of gun control laws is among the harshest in the nation and are filled with criminal law traps for people of common intelligence who desire to obey the law." - U.S. District Judge Roger T. Benitez

Old 05-25-2018, 8:46 PM

Posted to wrong forum

Last edited by Matt_Mellon; 05-25-2018 at 9:01 PM..
Old 05-25-2018, 10:44 PM

Is the website currently down? I’m getting a “currently unavailable” message.
Old 05-25-2018, 11:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gunnut714 View Post
Is the website currently down? I’m getting a “currently unavailable” message.
Yes, they do this every day around this time not sure why.
Old 05-25-2018, 11:08 PM
Veteran Member

Need to change gerbils on the wheel powering the server. Green energy!
Quote:
Originally Posted by PMACA_MFG View Post
Not checkers, not chess, its Jenga.
"The California matrix of gun control laws is among the harshest in the nation and are filled with criminal law traps for people of common intelligence who desire to obey the law." - U.S. District Judge Roger T. Benitez

Old 05-26-2018, 8:36 AM

Should the guide be updated with the known incidents of DOJ "visits"? As a caveat and for historical documentation?
Old 05-26-2018, 8:59 AM

Are there any configurations that would NOT check the box for 'conspicuous pistol grip'? Seems like that box should always be checked and not checking it either by mistake or confusion would lead to a guaranteed kick back.
Old 05-26-2018, 11:41 AM

To anyone who finds out they made an error AFTER they submitted, they were pretty quick responding to my "Report an Issue" request. I found out after submitting mine that I made a mistake.

So, I reported the issue on Thursday and by Friday, they had marked it "Incomplete". I was able to make the correction and re-submit.

Just wanted to confirm for others that it worked quickly for me. Now the waiting starts....
Old 05-26-2018, 11:45 AM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by vplaza96 View Post
To anyone who finds out they made an error AFTER they submitted, they were pretty quick responding to my "Report an Issue" request. I found out after submitting mine that I made a mistake.

So, I reported the issue on Thursday and by Friday, they had marked it "Incomplete". I was able to make the correction and re-submit.

Just wanted to confirm for others that it worked quickly for me. Now the waiting starts....
I can confirm this. I entered my wife's name, as a co registrant, in the wrong format and after I reported the issue, within a day, it was marked incomplete and I was able to correct it.
Old 05-26-2018, 12:00 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by vplaza96 View Post

I wonder if they told that farmer in Bakersfield he had some errors too and he should correct them?
Old 05-26-2018, 12:05 PM

Couple questions for registration:

1. Should I leave my pics full size (so they can be zoomed in), or shrink them to something more manageable?

2. One of my barrels is a pinned 14.7" with A2. Should I make a note that it's pinned and welded per BATFE specs? Include a photo of the spot on the FH?

Thanks.
Old 05-26-2018, 12:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bblr View Post
Couple questions for registration:

1. Should I leave my pics full size (so they can be zoomed in), or shrink them to something more manageable?

2. One of my barrels is a pinned 14.7" with A2. Should I make a note that it's pinned and welded per BATFE specs? Include a photo of the spot on the FH?

Thanks.
Your pics have to be less than 10MB (megabytes) each. Thats pretty huge and you shouldn't resize them unless they are over that size for the very purpose being able to zoom in a look at details if they want.

The note about pinning is up to you. Just don't put the barrel length as 14.7" in the form as that is incorrect. Some will say it covers your butt, others will say it over complicates something that doesn't need to be.
Old 05-26-2018, 1:04 PM

Just want to be 100% sure here but I checked all these boxes for an AR pistol. That's OK right?

Old 05-26-2018, 1:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by shaocaholica View Post
Just want to be 100% sure here but I checked all these boxes for an AR pistol. That's OK right?

I hope so, I checked all those as well. I just submitted this week. We'll see what happens.
Old 05-26-2018, 2:11 PM

Just want to make sure, for the checkbox "the firearm is self-built", should this only be checked if the firearm was made from an 80% receiver? Or should it also be checked if the firearm was DROS'd as "frame only" (stripped lower receiver), and was later completed to a full functioning firearm?
Old 05-26-2018, 2:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smedkcuf View Post
Just want to make sure, for the checkbox "the firearm is self-built", should this only be checked if the firearm was made from an 80% receiver? Or should it also be checked if the firearm was DROS'd as "frame only" (stripped lower receiver), and was later completed to a full functioning firearm?
Only if if it was an 80%. The DROS on a lower doesn't say if it is built or not.
Old 05-26-2018, 2:26 PM

Quote:
Aww Crap!

I did not include a copy of my CCW or an explanation for no FSC.
No FSC or CCW is required to register a BBAW!
Old 05-26-2018, 2:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DoctorLove View Post
The question is has anyone successfully registered multiple lowers using the same upper?
Yes, I know of at least one registration that was done for two lowers at the same time using the same (generic looking) upper. Perhaps if you had a very particular looking upper it could attract unwanted attention.

One idea to prevent problems could be slightly changing the configration, options, etc. between photographs.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DoctorLove View Post
So would you recommend submitting an issue ticket and asking them if pictures can be re-taken with different uppers? Or is it too late?
If you have different uppers that you'd rather submit with now to prevent possible problems, and you haven't received your "notification will come by US mail" email yet, you could open an issue and ask for your registration to be unlocked. I would NOT state anything about the fact you took multiple photos with the same upper! Just request access to fix an error, and then you can upload new photos.
Old 05-26-2018, 3:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by blahblah View Post

One idea to prevent problems could be slightly changing the configration, options, etc. between photographs.
Another option is to plastidip it a different color in between photos
Old 05-26-2018, 8:55 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by blahblah View Post
No FSC or CCW is required to register a BBAW!
Yep...got a little mixed up.
Old 05-26-2018, 10:59 PM

Hey guys,

When I bought my Zastava PAP M92 from Atlantic Firearms in 2013 it came in as an SSE with the plastic block in the magwell to make it into single shot pistol. I wasn't aware the laws had changed in 2014 to end that. My question is can I just register it now as a BB'd Semi-auto pistol with the 2nd handgrip, and the accepts a mag outside of handgrip, etc? Thanks!
Old 05-26-2018, 11:24 PM

I registered my M92 as a semi-auto without issues. I just noted in the comments "Pistol was purchased as single shot exempt and converted to semi-auto before laws changed."

Make is ZASTAVA, model PAP M92V, origin YUGOSLAVIA

characteristics include "second handgrip", "shroud", "detachable mag outside grip" and "threaded barrel"

Last edited by bigbully; 05-26-2018 at 11:28 PM..
Old 05-27-2018, 9:33 AM

Quote:
Model: Enter the firearm's model. DO NOT write "AR-15", "AK-47", or any other firearm models that were banned by name (listed in Penal Code 30515) unless DOJ kicks back your application and instructs you to write that for the model.
I didn't get to this part before I applied for and received my serial number for a home build and put ak47 as the model.
Should I be worried?
Should I just proceed with the AW registration with the model as AK47?

Last edited by cool_as_crap; 05-27-2018 at 9:35 AM..
Old 05-27-2018, 10:15 AM

I am not a lawyer nor pretend to be one.

Changing markings on the receiver or not having your registration match what is on your receiver I see as more troubling.

Your markings may cause a Barney Fife type to think he has the motherload and a chance to load his one bullet Andy lets him have. Your make is clearly defined as yourself if marked per ATF requirements.

You fall outside the definition of MAKE AND MODEL SPECIFICALLY MENTIONED, I would leave it alone if you all ready BOF'd it.

If not yet BOF'd or AW'd then I suppose you can add something engraved in front of or behind your model number so it is neither MAKE nor MODEL but it would have to clearly match the other engraving.

Other than a possible bad interaction in the future (I hope the cops being called on you is very low on your bucket list) I see no problem so long as you have the MAKE as your name.

…….unfortunately we can not cure poor education and understanding of the complex California gun laws by those involved in regulation and enforcement.

Lets hope for a pain and trouble free registration for all!