Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > POLITICS, LITIGATION AND ACTIVISM > California 2nd Amend. Political Discussion & Activism
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

California 2nd Amend. Political Discussion & Activism Discuss gun rights activism and 2A related political topics here. All advice given is NOT legal counsel.

Old 08-18-2018, 11:07 PM
CGSSA Coordinator

I submitted 6/10. No response yet.
Old 08-18-2018, 11:33 PM
1911 Aficionado
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by aBrowningfan View Post
Don't know if the zippers were 'purpose-built' for a lock, but they take a lock nicely. If you zoom into the picture of the case, on the bottom left side, the zippers are shown with a bit of leather threaded through each zipper handle to give a bit more leverage on the zipper. The hole for the leather is where the lock gets attached.
That was more of a rhetorical question that only the end-user can answer.

Bottom line, would the officer making contact with you be satisfied with your container, be it a hard or soft container? Like the container, the lock falls under the same ambiguity. You could have a Pelican 1700, and a lock that could literally be chewed through with your teeth.

Since folks around here like to play it safe, if you have any lingering doubt about your soft container, run a cable lock through the magazine well, and out the ejection port (the same cable locks that come with pistols), which would completely lock the action, and prevent a magazine from being inserted into the magazine well.

Even if an officer took slight issue with your (locked) soft container, you've gone above and beyond with the cable lock. Again, think legislative intent.
Old 08-19-2018, 12:38 PM

Locked is locked, the state does not define soft case vs. hard case vs. any case in a trunk that can not be readily accessed from inside the vehicle.

Use discretion when it comes to different vehicle set ups. example: A Honda Accord with trunk, to drop the rear seat back takes a key (aka, lock) vs. a SUV/Wagon/Hatch with open cargo area.

In a truck I personally do not like the idea of guns in general being inside the bed as someone could simply walk up and do a snatch and grab while sitting still in traffic. I have done it, I just don't like doing it. If at all possible I place behind the front seats.
Old 08-19-2018, 2:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gryff View Post
I submitted 6/20 and no word yet, this waiting crap is getting old fast.
Old 08-19-2018, 2:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by guhuna View Post
Sorry, but I can't really feel your pain what with being out 60 days. When you get to 120+ days with no registration letter, please post back (there are some who have been waiting 210+ days).
Old 08-19-2018, 8:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by aBrowningfan View Post
Sorry, but I can't really feel your pain what with being out 60 days. When you get to 120+ days with no registration letter, please post back (there are some who have been waiting 210+ days).
I wasn't expecting you to "feel my pain". I'm just annoyed.
Old 08-19-2018, 8:14 PM
I'm with stupid ☝️
CGN Contributor - Lifetime

Quote:
I wasn't expecting you to "feel my pain". I'm just annoyed.
We all are, this entire process has been a sh**show.

If they'd made it so all we had to do was mail a postcard and wait for a letter, like every other time before this, we'd have all been better off.

If it's any consolation, DOJ really screwed themselves in the process. They borrowed and spent far more money than they earned and now they have to figure out how to pay it back, plus since they made the process such a nightmare they've pretty much guaranteed that nobody is ever going to register anything ever again.

Don't panic. As of 11/21/2018, only around 40% of BBRAW applicants have received their letter. DOJ is still actively processing them... slowly. In the meantime:

Old 08-19-2018, 8:50 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by cockedandglocked View Post
We all are, this entire process has been a sh**show.

If they'd made it so all we had to do was mail a postcard and wait for a letter, like every other time before this, we'd have all been better off.

If it's any consolation, DOJ really screwed themselves in the process. They borrowed and spent far more money than they earned and now they have to figure out how to pay it back, plus since they made the process such a nightmare they've pretty much guaranteed that nobody is ever going to register anything ever again.
Yup.

But they really didn’t want anyone to register anything, pretty obvious.

The Brady group calls the shots at the California DOJ Firearms division.
Old 08-19-2018, 9:02 PM
I'm with stupid ☝️

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ford8N View Post
Yup.

But they really didn’t want anyone to register anything, pretty obvious.

The Brady group calls the shots at the California DOJ Firearms division.
Sadly you hit the nail on the head with that post. It's not run by elected officials, it's run by a guy appointed and controlled by Brady.

Don't panic. As of 11/21/2018, only around 40% of BBRAW applicants have received their letter. DOJ is still actively processing them... slowly. In the meantime:

Old 08-19-2018, 10:49 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Quote:
I submitted 4 registrations on 6/12.

On 8/17 I received emails stating that 3 of those submissions were "being processed" and I would be notified by U.S. mail upon completion of processing.

One submission was kicked back because I checked a wrong box ("under 30" length") and they wanted an additional picture showing overall length, which I submitted today.

Almost there!
Old 08-20-2018, 9:12 AM

6/5 no response and waiting patiently
Old 08-20-2018, 9:16 AM

6/29 - no response
Old 08-20-2018, 4:14 PM

Submitted June 13th, incomplete notice on August 19th, resubmitted August 21

Do I blame a pickup truck or a pickup trucks availability, for the murder of my friend.
NO I blame the human who aimed and stepped on the gas.

NRA Life Member since 1978
CRPA Life Member since 1978
Old 08-20-2018, 4:31 PM

Quote:

Wait really? I figured they would just absorb the money. In fact I assumed they did this on purpose. Build a 250,000 system and then use the money elsewhere.
WTB: Pietta 45lc conversion cylinder
Old 08-20-2018, 5:10 PM
I'm with stupid ☝️

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sousuke View Post
Wait really? I figured they would just absorb the money. In fact I assumed they did this on purpose. Build a 250,000 system and then use the money elsewhere.
The system was cheap, but the staff is expensive, they hired something like 25 dedicated employees for this

Old 08-20-2018, 5:10 PM

All of Mine have been "In Progress" since 4/12.

Also, still waiting for them to add the Manufacturer:
Working Mans Armory (which they were made aware of on 4/12)...

"I could walk into Walmart and pick up an AR-15 assault rifle off the shelf, but I wouldn’t be able to buy a Kinder Egg, because it’s a CHOKING HAZARD."
-Piers Morgan

“Dear America, please let Piers buy a Kinder Egg...”
-Ricky Gervais
Old 08-21-2018, 11:49 AM

Quote:
Quote:
The system was cheap, but the staff is expensive, they hired something like 25 dedicated employees for this
Regardless, the un-recovered funds will have to be offset somehow. My bet is another raid on the DROS fees. Maybe an increase in DROS fees to cover the deficit?
Old 08-21-2018, 12:50 PM

Submitted 6/14
Notice (3 of 4 were ok)8/20
Resubmit (for the one with an error) 8/20
Old 08-21-2018, 1:41 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Quote:
DOJ was expecting roughly 250,000 x $15 = $3.75 million in income. Actual income is going to be closer to 30,000 x $15 = $450,000, so the shortfall will be around $3.4 million dollars. Oopsie!

The DOJ has asked for a loan of $3.7 million from Firearms Safety and Enforcement Special Fund to deposited in to the DROS fund. That $3.7 million loan is supposed to be repaid by 6/30/2021. Guess what loan is not going to be repaid? I guess the APPS program is going to be even MORE short of funds for enforcement...

"A free people ought not only to be armed but disciplined; to which end a uniform and well digested plan is requisite: And their safety and interest require, that they should promote such manufactories, as tend to render them independent on others for essential, particularly for military supplies." - George Washington, 1790
Old 08-21-2018, 5:09 PM

Quote:
Question is how is DOJ going to fund continue employment for those 25 new folks pass 2021? Laid-offs? Does not seem like government agency are much into laid-offs.
Old 08-21-2018, 5:29 PM
I'm with stupid ☝️

Quote:
Originally Posted by walmart_ar15 View Post
Question is how is DOJ going to fund continue employment for those 25 new folks pass 2021? Laid-offs? Does not seem like government agency are much into laid-offs.
I believe they were hired as temporary staff purely for the purpose of processing RAW apps, with the intent to let them go when the work is done. But who knows.

It does seem like there are a lot fewer people working on RAW apps there lately

Old 08-21-2018, 8:09 PM
1911 Aficionado
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by timdps View Post
DOJ was expecting roughly 250,000 x $15 = $3.75 million in income. Actual income is going to be closer to 30,000 x $15 = $450,000, so the shortfall will be around $3.4 million dollars. Oopsie!

The DOJ has asked for a loan of $3.7 million from Firearms Safety and Enforcement Special Fund to deposited in to the DROS fund. That $3.7 million loan is supposed to be repaid by 6/30/2021. Guess what loan is not going to be repaid? I guess the APPS program is going to be even MORE short of funds for enforcement...

Sounds like fraud, LOL.

Seriously, how TF did they expect to generate that many registrations without proper notification to the public, word of mouth? Wait, via CGN? Maybe they failed to notice that the 50-page threads on AW's were kept going by the same 5 people, LOL.

At the end of the day, I can only hope jobs were lost, demotions were issued, heads were placed in guillotines, etc.

Meanwhile, whoever is left needs to hurry TF up and process my remaining rifles.
Old 08-21-2018, 8:13 PM
CGSSA Leader

Quote:
Originally Posted by timdps View Post
The speed they're going, they're darn lucky it wasn't a few hundred thousand...

Yep, lose money on every transaction, so make up for it with volume... Sounds like a government business plan, all right.

Ask me about Appleseed! Send a PM or see me in the Appleseed subforum.
Old 08-21-2018, 11:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by as_rocketman View Post

Yep, lose money on every transaction, so make up for it with volume... Sounds like a government business plan, all right.
They certainly can't claim to be able to make up the shortfall from advertising revenues...
Old 08-21-2018, 11:21 PM
I'm with stupid ☝️

Quote:
Originally Posted by as_rocketman View Post

It was idiotic for them to release that steaming pile of turd for registration regulations and expect any significant number of people to obey them.

They probably would've gotten 250k or more registrations if they'd just followed the letter and spirit of the law.

They got greedy, and now they have to pay for it.

Last edited by cockedandglocked; 08-21-2018 at 11:24 PM..
Old 08-22-2018, 2:13 AM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
It was idiotic for them to release that steaming pile of turd for registration regulations and expect any significant number of people to obey them.

They probably would've gotten 250k or more registrations if they'd just followed the letter and spirit of the law.

You mean the tax payer (you and me) will have to pay for the Brady political grandstanding.
Old 08-22-2018, 2:26 AM
Low-Functioning Genius
CGN Contributor

Quote:

Either that or they intended this from the get go. Eric Holder is a smart corrupt man.

I think they got their cake and ate it too. The reg period is always a begrudgingly difficult thing for them, after all it's grandfathering. After all if they can get as few regs as possible and have those that did reg have unfair rules placed on them, than that's about as good as they could have hoped for. They also made sure the most amount of gun owners would qualify as felons if they ever get lucky enough to get us into a bad situation.

It's win win win for them. I see no downside for them at all.

The thing they are most worried about is getting in front of a conservative judiciary Trump appointee. Guaranteed they are formulating the master plan now to make sure that never happens by only confiscating and never actually charging anyone with a felony. People will be cool because they know they have prosecutorial discretion.
Quote:
Originally Posted by PMACA_MFG View Post
Not checkers, not chess, its Jenga.
"The California matrix of gun control laws is among the harshest in the nation and are filled with criminal law traps for people of common intelligence who desire to obey the law." - U.S. District Judge Roger T. Benitez

Old 08-22-2018, 2:27 AM
I'm with stupid ☝️

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ford8N View Post
You mean the tax payer (you and me) will have to pay for the Brady political grandstanding.
Well, ya. But it was worth the $15 if I get to see someone's career at DOJ end over it

Old 08-22-2018, 2:33 PM

Quote:
Well, ya. But it was worth the $15 if I get to see someone's career at DOJ end over it
Doubtful in the current political environment.
Old 08-22-2018, 2:35 PM
Calguns Addict

What makes anyone think the DoJ wanted >0 registrations? They'd be happier if there were 250k MORE potential felons they can arrest and disarm completely.

They get funded either way, and they will never be forced to repay anything.

"“[S]cientific proof” of both gun-rights and gun-control theories “is very hard to get”; therefore, requiring “some substantial scientific proof to show that a [firearm] law will indeed substantially reduce crime and injury” is tantamount to applying strict scrutiny to, and almost certainly will lead to invalidation of, the law." - Kamela Harris

Lawyers and their Stockholm Syndrome
Old 08-22-2018, 8:03 PM

Quote:
Submitted mine as joint around mid June, primary received all email between 8/11 - 8/14, got final reg letter in mail on 8/22. A little happy for not having any errors, but mostly still pissed at this crap. The secondary reg still have yet to hear anything, which was submitted the day after the primary.
Old 08-22-2018, 9:40 PM

I just got 3 of mine today, incomplete because I didn't provide joint registration proof of addresses for my J-R3 & J-R4. Hopefully they complete the other 2 tomorrow. My wife hasn't had word yet. Done the same day. My J-R's were unable to complete their's due to how long it took to upload pictures & the site crashes.
Old 08-22-2018, 10:31 PM

Default Got my registration

I applied on 5/3/18. Got an incomplete email on 5/30/18 and resubmitted and finally got my registration by mail on 8/3/18. My co-registrant is still in process for a while now after resubmitting it.
Old 08-23-2018, 9:52 AM

Quote:
I believe they were hired as temporary staff purely for the purpose of processing RAW apps, with the intent to let them go when the work is done. But who knows.

It does seem like there are a lot fewer people working on RAW apps there lately
Hum, if they are temp staffs and are let go... Wondering if we can find some of them and ask exactly what is been done behind closed doors? How were they trained, what was the process, etc, etc...

Maybe good info for future potential lawsuits.
Old 08-26-2018, 12:16 AM

I apologize in advance, since I'm certain this has been posted somewhere, but I'm in school and barely have time to navigate to this thread before my procrastination timer is buzzing at me.....

What subject line/sender email address should I be keeping an out for?
Old 08-26-2018, 12:25 AM
Low-Functioning Genius
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by SDmtnbkr View Post
I apologize in advance, since I'm certain this has been posted somewhere, but I'm in school and barely have time to navigate to this thread before my procrastination timer is buzzing at me.....

What subject line/sender email address should I be keeping an out for?
bofcris@doj.ca.gov

Subject line:

California Firearms Application Reporting System (CFARS) Submission Confirmation Notice
Quote:
"The California matrix of gun control laws is among the harshest in the nation and are filled with criminal law traps for people of common intelligence who desire to obey the law." - U.S. District Judge Roger T. Benitez

Old 08-26-2018, 2:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Discogodfather View Post
bofcris@doj.ca.gov

Subject line:

California Firearms Application Reporting System (CFARS) Submission Confirmation Notice
THANKS!
Old 08-26-2018, 11:21 PM

I thought I read somewhere in an old thread that if 90 days passes without action one can contact DOJ for an update? Has anyone waited 90+ days done this and successfully moved their application to "approved" as a result?
Old 08-26-2018, 11:25 PM
Low-Functioning Genius
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by troyPhD View Post
I thought I read somewhere in an old thread that if 90 days passes without action one can contact DOJ for an update? Has anyone waited 90+ days done this and successfully moved their application to "approved" as a result?
Contacted them after 90 days about volreg and no response. During the 90 days they answered and said no questions would be answered until 90 days were up.
Quote:

Old 08-27-2018, 1:06 AM

Registered 6/27/2018 and haven't heard anything, other than the receipt for the $15.