Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > POLITICS, LITIGATION AND ACTIVISM > California 2nd Amend. Political Discussion & Activism
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

California 2nd Amend. Political Discussion & Activism Discuss gun rights activism and 2A related political topics here. All advice given is NOT legal counsel.

Old 07-05-2018, 7:42 AM

Default Current BBAW Processing time/turnaround

Just curious who has received a response recently from DOJ on their registration, and when they originally submitted.

Thanks

Lonwa
Old 07-05-2018, 10:29 AM
Veteran Member

Back in January in my first batch of BBAWs that I got out of the way, the response time was within a week for any kickbacks/correction notices/successful submission emails. Got successful RAW letter a few weeks after the last line item of that batch was accepted.

Second batch I submitted mid-May and haven't heard a peep yet. Going on six weeks. I check CFARS every now and then to make sure none of my line items are marked "incomplete" in case I missed an email or spam filter got it, but nope, all of them are still marked "In Progress".
Old 07-05-2018, 10:58 AM

Thanks Syntax.

I'm about 4 weeks in with silence also.

Anyone further out than mid may?
Old 07-05-2018, 11:03 AM

I have a customer begging of April but there were a lot of guns. Still no word
Laguna Hills, CA 92653
(949)768-5189
www.ocarmory.com
Old 07-05-2018, 11:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lonwa View Post
Thanks Syntax.

I'm about 4 weeks in with silence also.

Anyone further out than mid may?
There are some with applications going back to March, however those seem to be outliers (there are some who got approval emails in two business days after submission, too...). The most frequently occurring timeline seems to be around the 2 month period.

I am wondering if the 2 month delay will slip as a result of the surge in applications that occurred in June in the run-up to the June 30 registration deadline.
Old 07-05-2018, 11:48 AM
Veteran Member

I submitted yesterday and now they are at my front door that's weird....
Old 07-05-2018, 12:52 PM

Quote:
From: bofcris@doj.ca.gov To:yourname@xxxmail.COM Subject: California Firearms Application Reporting System (CFARS) Submission Confirmation Notice Your Name, Your address Gun Make: yyyy Gun Model: xxxx Gun Caliber: Firearm with interchangable barrels Serial #: zzzzz The California Department of Justice has received your electronic AB 1135/SB 880 Assault Weapon Registration and will begin processing your submission. You will be notified of the results via U.S. Mail. If you have any questions, please use the Report an Issue feature in the CFARS application https://cfars.doj.ca.gov. For questions regarding your account, please email the Bureau of Firearms at: bofcris@doj.ca.gov
If you get one of these email for EACH of the weapon you submitted, this would mean that particular weapon has passed the visual inspection. Once all of your weapon gets this email, the letter is typically 2 to 3 weeks away from the last email you receive.
Old 07-05-2018, 12:54 PM
Veteran Member

"It is the first responsibility of every citizen to question authority." - Benjamin Franklin

Quote:
"Lifetime warranty and excellent customer service don't mean a thing when your gun fails during a zombie attack." -Stanze
Old 07-05-2018, 2:07 PM
I'm with stupid ☝️
CGN Contributor - Lifetime

There is no such thing as "current turnaround time", because that would imply that everyone's apps are being processed in some semblance of an order.

They aren't.

They are processed in whatever order they feel like processing them - not the "order they were received" as their official statements have said.

For some people, the turnaround is 2 days. For some people, it's 8 months. Your application will probably take some amount of time in between. Probably.

Old 07-05-2018, 2:09 PM

Just curious how you know this?
Old 07-05-2018, 2:37 PM

I did mine at the end of March and didn't get confirmation till 2nd week of June. I have a feeling if you waited, it's going to take a while for them to catch up.
Old 07-05-2018, 3:01 PM
I'm with stupid ☝️

Quote:
Been tracking people's timelines ever since this started, as I was trying to collect the info for the AW registration guide I put together. There's no apparent rhyme nor reason for why some people take much, much longer than others. Tons of people have reported turnarounds of only a few days. Most reported a month or two. And lots reported 6+ months. Many people submitted apps long after other people, but then got their letters weeks or months earlier.

It's pretty much random, there's no way of knowing how long any given application will take to be processed.

Old 07-05-2018, 3:24 PM

Well if it is anything like having to Vol Register it took 8 months for me to get that back so I could prove ownership then have to do a LEGR with Bakersfield PD which took another 2-3 months to receive. Plus all the letters from BPD that expressed a concern to just destroy the weapon because the process was taking too long in their eyes.

What really makes me wonder if one or more owners are caught with a BBAW that is currently in process, and not denied, and it takes them a year to process those peoples AW application. Could the state be liable for false in-prisonment and denial of civil rights while said applications are pending if AW possession is discovered
Old 07-05-2018, 3:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cockedandglocked View Post
Been tracking people's timelines ever since this started, as I was trying to collect the info for the AW registration guide I put together. There's no apparent rhyme nor reason for why some people take much, much longer than others. Tons of people have reported turnarounds of only a few days. Most reported a month or two. And lots reported 6+ months. Many people submitted apps long after other people, but then got their letters weeks or months earlier.

It's pretty much random, there's no way of knowing how long any given application will take to be processed.
Actually I think there is a pattern to the madness, it all depends on the type of firearm being submitted. Plain old vanilla AR15 is probably the fastest, some more rare one offs with not so standard B.B., accessories will take some time.

Very likely they have many visual inspectors with different level of experience from Interns to seasoned DOJ lifers. More complicated weapon get send to one or two person to review whereas AR get forward to a lot more people.

If u send in just couple ARs, if without problems, it will be quick. But if u sent in multiple weapons with different stocks, grips, handguards, BBS, expect it to take a while. The application first go to the generic folks, then it get forwarded to the next level, then next until all weapons are reviewed. Then a final quality check by a senior person, Finally the application gets send to the document control to publish the letter. It is all first come first served, but with multiple layers of ques.

How do I know? I noticed all my simple AR get a quick acceptance email, then it would be weeks till I get acceptance email for other fancier weapon, then more weeks for other more complicated, then more weeks for even more complicated, till the final acceptance email. Then the letter comes couple weeks after.

Last edited by walmart_ar15; 07-05-2018 at 4:06 PM..
Old 07-05-2018, 4:00 PM

I summited my aw registration on 5/23 and co registration for the wife on 5/25
Received an incomplete email of 6/30 asking I change the model name from Galil Ace-Gar 1651 which was on the box to Galil Ace-Sar. I made the correction that same day.
Today I received a submission confirmation email.
Old 07-05-2018, 4:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sig556swat View Post
I summited my aw registration on 5/23 and co registration for the wife on 5/25
Received an incomplete email of 6/30 asking I change the model name from Galil Ace-Gar 1651 which was on the box to Galil Ace-Sar. I made the correction that same day.
Today I received a submission confirmation email.
So one single rifle basically took a week? Sounds consistent with what Walmart said above.

80% AR pistols and other "exotics" are gonna get escalated to the top and may take months.
Old 07-05-2018, 4:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by walmart_ar15 View Post
Actually I think there is a pattern to the madness, it all depends on the type of firearm being submitted. Plain old vanilla AR15 is probably the fastest, some more rare one offs with not so standard B.B., accessories will take some time.

Very likely they have many visual inspectors with different level of experience from Interns to seasoned DOJ lifers. More complicated weapon get send to one or two person to review whereas AR get forward to a lot more people.

If u send in just couple ARs, if without problems, it will be quick. But if u sent in multiple weapons with different stocks, grips, handguards, BBS, expect it to take a while. The application first go to the generic folks, then it get forwarded to the next level, then next until all weapons are reviewed. Then a final quality check by a senior person, Finally the application gets send to the document control to publish the letter. It is all first come first served, but with multiple layers of ques.

How do I know? I noticed all my simple AR get a quick acceptance email, then it would be weeks till I get acceptance email for other fancier weapon, then more weeks for other more complicated, then more weeks for even more complicated, till the final acceptance email. Then the letter comes couple weeks after.
I wish your theory applied to me. I submitted an application for a single AW that was CA-compliant from the manufacturer (model # identified the AW as CA-compliant). Every information item on the application tracked 100% to what was on the DROS for the AW purchase. Now I am approaching the 2 month time from application submission.
Old 07-05-2018, 7:56 PM

I got two done right away but the other 3 still says being processed. The first two were only a month, but I got a few resubmit for the others I did another time which still say processing. That was in April so yeah they must be back logged and triple checking everything lol. I could careless about registering a few and featureless on some.
Old 07-18-2018, 6:55 AM

Any recent letters received? Curious when you submitted.
Old 07-18-2018, 7:38 AM
Veteran Member

Received letter July 14.

Submitted April 30.
Old 07-18-2018, 8:16 AM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
I submitted in two batches.

Submitted late December, Approved in mid March.

Submitted mid March, approvals started coming the next day.

After I submitted in December, I saw dozens of posts on this forum of people who submitted after me, and were already approved and some already had their letters.

My letter is dated April 7th.
Old 07-18-2018, 8:32 AM
Calguns Addict

Submitted mid may, kickback end of june for minor details, 7/16 received letters

"“[S]cientific proof” of both gun-rights and gun-control theories “is very hard to get”; therefore, requiring “some substantial scientific proof to show that a [firearm] law will indeed substantially reduce crime and injury” is tantamount to applying strict scrutiny to, and almost certainly will lead to invalidation of, the law." - Kamela Harris

Lawyers and their Stockholm Syndrome
Old 07-18-2018, 8:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by curtisfong View Post
Submitted mid may, kickback end of june for minor details, 7/16 received letters
It seems that if there are issues, the letter gets issued quicker if the issues get resolved quickly.
Old 07-18-2018, 8:51 AM

I submitted mid January and got my letter by mid February. It was a nothing unusual AR.
WTB: Pietta 45lc conversion cylinder
Old 07-18-2018, 9:34 AM

It took 2 weeks for them to contact me. It turns out instead of Colt 6920 they wanted it to say M4 Carbine. I changed it and I am still waiting. I registered the weapon on 30 June 2018.

Dave
Old 07-18-2018, 5:35 PM

I sent mine in on June 3rd. I know it's pretty late in the game, so I'm assuming I still have a while for any response be it approval or rejection
"After a shooting spree, they always want to take the guns away from the people who didn't do it. I sure as hell wouldn't want to live in a society where the only people allowed guns are the police and the military." - William S. Burroughs

Current collection: SIG P239, SA XD40sc, M&P Shield 9mm, SA 1911 Mil-Spec, Wasr-10, Mossberg 500, Ithaca M87, Yugo M59 SKS, M/N M44
Old 07-18-2018, 9:41 PM
retired Goon

FWIW...

I submitted AW registration application for a firearm that was already registered with CA DOJ and could not be made featureless.

05-13 =submitted AW registration application via CFARS using chrome.
06-26 = received email from CA DOJ saying submission was incomplete.
06-26 to 06-27 = could not log into CFARS using chrome, firefox, or edge.
06-27 = finally logged into CFARS using internet explorer 11 and addressed the pending issues to application. Application was "incomplete" because the check box AW features were not saved when using chrome.
07-17 = CA DOJ BOF letter arrived in mail notifying AW registration was completed. Letter was marked processed and approved on 07-09.

date of initial submission to date of approval = 57 days

"If someone has a gun and is trying to kill you, it would be reasonable to shoot back with your own gun.” - Dalai Lama (Seattle Times, 05-15-2001).

Last edited by Quiet; 07-18-2018 at 9:53 PM..
Old 07-18-2018, 9:51 PM

Did the regi and joint regi 6/27,have yet to hear back with anytning besides a receipt saying thanks for the donation
Old 07-18-2018, 10:13 PM
Low-Functioning Genius
CGN Contributor

Definitely between 2 weeks and 2 years.

Vast vast majority of people are still waiting.

I did a couple of rounds starting in Feb, took about 6-8 weeks each time, all letters in hand for RAW. All my volregs are in process and have not received anything going back to May.
Quote:
Originally Posted by PMACA_MFG View Post
Not checkers, not chess, its Jenga.
"The California matrix of gun control laws is among the harshest in the nation and are filled with criminal law traps for people of common intelligence who desire to obey the law." - U.S. District Judge Roger T. Benitez

Old 07-18-2018, 10:57 PM
I'm with stupid ☝️

Quote:
Originally Posted by Discogodfather View Post
Definitely between 2 weeks and 2 years.

I'm gonna start using that!

Old 07-19-2018, 6:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quiet View Post

07-17 = CA DOJ BOF letter arrived in mail notifying AW registration was completed. Letter was marked processed and approved on 07-09.
LOL, even the mail room is backup. For all my submissions, the letter typically gets to my mailbox 3 business days after the marked date in the letter.
Old 07-19-2018, 6:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave07997S View Post
It took 2 weeks for them to contact me. It turns out instead of Colt 6920 they wanted it to say M4 Carbine. I changed it and I am still waiting. I registered the weapon on 30 June 2018.

Dave
Your lucky they didn’t come to your house. There is a huge difference between Colt 6920 and Colt M4 6920
What you submitted could be confused with what’s banned by name.
Colt AR15 LE 6920
Old 07-19-2018, 6:36 AM

IMHO, don't expect any volreg letter anytime soon. Likely DOJ is allocating folks from volreg to RAW reviews. Once the backlog from the RAW drops, then maybe we'll see some volreg letters.

When I volreg beginning of the year, I got my letter in less than 3 weeks.
Old 07-19-2018, 6:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 21guns View Post
Your lucky they didn’t come to your house. There is a huge difference between Colt 6920 and Colt M4 6920
Colt AR15 LE 6920
Nah, in this case, picture help. Reviewer must saw Colt M4 6920 stamped on the receiver, so kicked it back to have the submission changed.

If it had stamped Colt 6920, he would have gotten a knock and talk.
Old 07-19-2018, 6:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by walmart_ar15 View Post
Nah, in this case, picture help. Reviewer must saw Colt M4 6920 stamped on the receiver, so kicked it back to have the submission changed.

If it had stamped Colt 6920, he would have gotten a knock and talk.
You have a lot of faith in them, bless your heart.
I’m sure your correct they are there to help you.
Old 07-19-2018, 6:41 AM

it sounds like they go by date and flag/separate anything they want another team/level to review. They have a list of criteria that automatically flags your submission.
Flagged applications don't even get correction emails from first review. Those flagged submissions then just wait for 2nd team/level to review.. probably very small team since there are apps waiting more than 2 months without any emails.

This would explain why some recent submissions have already gotten approval emails. They're pushing thru and approving as much of the simple/basic stuff they can without getting slowed down by flagged apps
Old 07-19-2018, 6:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave07997S View Post

Dave
wow.. you submitted on 6/30 and already got response.
Old 07-19-2018, 6:55 AM

Quote:
You have a lot of faith in them, bless your heart.
I’m sure your correct they are there to help you.
Nope, zero faith. The CA Justice system are here to help convict you and provide free housing up state. How else are they going to justify getting more funding?

But at least they still need to follow the law and an obvious wrong confiscation will not vote well for what they are trying to do in public opinion.

And individually, a typical low level DOJ employee are no different than any other government workers. They will try to do their job correctly. Not everyone has a political agenda and want to destroy others live.
Old 07-19-2018, 6:56 AM
Veteran Member

Folks have already pointed out the DOJ doesn’t seem to be any organized system for approving applications, but for posterity:

I submitted CFARS forms on 6/29 and received payment confirmation; Nothing further. I’ll bet they won’t wait to take my money, though.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeR View Post
So suck it HK, If I wanted an $800 pistol with a crap trigger I would just go buy 2 Glocks.
Old 07-19-2018, 8:38 AM

Quote:
Colt AR15 LE 6920
The photos showed M4 Carbine on the receiver.

Dave