Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > FIREARMS DISCUSSIONS > Centerfire Rifles - Semiautomatic or Gas Operated
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Centerfire Rifles - Semiautomatic or Gas Operated Centerfire rifles, carbines and other gas operated rifles.

Old 01-24-2013, 10:42 AM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by olhunter View Post
Seriously? Did you think about what you just wrote?

The market price of gold is based on supply, demand and market conditions but today's gun/ammo prices are different because.........?
So you would be ok with oil companies doubling prices at the tank regardless of the commodity value of oil? Or better yet individuals drying out the tanks of fuel supply stations and selling from there homes at double the price?
Old 01-24-2013, 11:00 AM

prices stay high long enough then there will be cheap imports, and who really knows if they can put that genie back in the bottle.
Old 01-24-2013, 11:01 AM
Hold my beer & watch this
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by AKSOG View Post
So you would be ok with oil companies doubling prices at the tank regardless of the commodity value of oil? Or better yet individuals drying out the tanks of fuel supply stations and selling from there homes at double the price?
When gas prices double, people stop driving as much and so the prices slowly go back down. It's all part of economics
Old 01-24-2013, 11:10 AM
Veteran Member

Quote:

lol....you're changing the subject. Are you a lawyer?

Here's the question based on your statement -

"The market price of gold is based on supply, demand and market conditions but today's gun/ammo prices are different because.........? "

1) Everyone's being greedy azzhats and should just stop it already.
2) It's a government conspiracy.
3) Basic economics. Supply and demand.
4) I DON'T KNOW BUT I DON'T LIKE IT!
5) Huh? I don't even like guns. I like Unicorns that poop glitter and cupcakes.

(hint - pick 3).
"The thing about quotes on the Internet is you can't confirm their validity" - Abraham Lincoln

Last edited by olhunter; 01-24-2013 at 11:23 AM..
Old 01-24-2013, 11:41 AM
Veteran Member

Quote:
lol....you're changing the subject. Are you a lawyer?

Here's the question based on your statement -

"The market price of gold is based on supply, demand and market conditions but today's gun/ammo prices are different because.........? "

1) Everyone's being greedy azzhats and should just stop it already.
2) It's a government conspiracy.
3) Basic economics. Supply and demand.
4) I DON'T KNOW BUT I DON'T LIKE IT!
5) Huh? I don't even like guns. I like Unicorns that poop glitter and cupcakes.

(hint - pick 3).
I didn't change the subject. You asked me if everybody who purcased gold at $300 should sell it for the same as they bought it for (rather than spot I'm assuming). No I don't agree with that and I have no problem with individuals selling stuff they purchased for less at a profit.

However I do have a problem with individuals being able to run a under the table business and corner the market. It creates a whole separate market and decreases supply in high demand situations.

But I'm sure of course all the people buying and selling are of course reporting the earned income on their taxes, being law abiding citizens and all....

Last edited by AKSOG; 01-24-2013 at 12:51 PM..
Old 01-24-2013, 11:53 AM
CGN Contributor

Quote:
I didn't change the subject. You asked me if everybody who purcased gold at $300 should sell it for the same as they bought it for (rather than spot I'm assuming). No I don't agree with that and I have no problem with individuals selling stuff they purchased for less at a profit.

However I do have a problem with individuals being able to run a under the table business and corner the market. It creates a whole separate market and decreases supply in high demand situations.
You realize we are in a crappy economy right? You have a problem with someone taking advantage of an opportunity to make money? No laws are being broken and these are luxury items we are talking about.
Old 01-24-2013, 12:13 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonzer77 View Post
You realize we are in a crappy economy right? You have a problem with someone taking advantage of an opportunity to make money? No laws are being broken and these are luxury items we are talking about.
I'm not sure what a crappy economy has to do with anything. I already said I have no issues with people making some legitimate money from their hobby. I do however have an issue with illicit business practices. Once peoples motivations for buying something is to sell it for an immediate profit it crosses a fine line for me. It's just my feelings as an individual who enjoys this as a hobby. I don't expect anything to change.
Old 01-24-2013, 12:18 PM
CGN Contributor

Quote:
I'm not sure what a crappy economy has to do with anything. I already said I have no issues with people making some legitimate money from their hobby. I do however have an issue with illicit business practices. Once peoples motivations for buying something is to sell it for an immediate profit it crosses a fine line for me. It's just my feelings as an individual who enjoys this as a hobby. I don't expect anything to change.
If you aren't sure what a crappy economy has to do with it then I really don't know how else to explain it to you. People buying stuff to sell immediately for profit isn't exactly anything new regardless of what the product is. The people complaining about it are the people that didn't prepare and now they are feeling the consequences of their actions. Don't have any ammo? Should have bought some when it was cheap. Same goes for AR parts since we all knew this was going to happen once Obozo was re elected.
Old 01-24-2013, 12:22 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by alex45auto View Post
Well Stated. Procrastinators please take note and quit whining about prices.

WTS: IMR4064, H335, H322, H4198
IWI TAVOR B16 FDE 5.56/.223
Old 01-24-2013, 12:26 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
If you aren't sure what a crappy economy has to do with it then I really don't know how else to explain it to you. People buying stuff to sell immediately for profit isn't exactly anything new regardless of what the product is. The people complaining about it are the people that didn't prepare and now they are feeling the consequences of their actions. Don't have any ammo? Should have bought some when it was cheap. Same goes for AR parts since we all knew this was going to happen once Obozo was re elected.
You're blaming a crappy economy on the current firearms market conditions? Buying something to immediately selling of course isn't new but it's also a business practice.

I have all of the above and I'm still complaining along with other fellow hobbyists.
Old 01-24-2013, 12:29 PM
CGN Contributor

Quote:
You're blaming a crappy economy on the current firearms market conditions? Buying something to immediately selling of course isn't new but it's also a business practice.

I have all of the above and I'm still complaining along with other fellow hobbyists.
Is that all you got from that?

Yes it's a business practice but people have been doing it without a business for quite some time.
Old 01-24-2013, 12:32 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Is that all you got from that?

Yes it's a business practice but people have been doing it without a business for quite some time.
I know, people have been breaking the law throughout history.
Old 01-24-2013, 12:36 PM
Banned
CGN Contributor

No such thing as "gouging".. an item will only sell for what someone thinks it's worth..

I have a nice BCG I paid $200 for.. but I was lucky in reality a replacement would cost me $400.. why would I sell it for less?

The only time I thing selling high is "immoral" is when it's for life sustaing supplies after a disaster.. like water/fuel/food after a hurricane.

All "luxury" items like gun parts fall firmly into the "supply and demand" catagory.

If you don't like the price then don't pay it.. if everyone does that then the price will drop or the item won't sell.. not sure why it's a touch concept on here.
Old 01-24-2013, 1:17 PM
Veteran Member

Finally!
Old 01-24-2013, 5:05 PM

Quote:
NOBODY can be gouged unless they let themselves be GOUGED.
That sums it up right there...

But the price-gougers provide a service to me by showing me which businesses that I'll be supporting when all the prices are back down again. The dealers that tried the hardest to jack their prices will get no business from me.

The part that amazes me is how mad the price-gougers (and their supporters) get at me for my opinion. Get over it already! My personal opinion is NOT negotiable. Any business who loses my support has only themselves to blame.
Old 01-24-2013, 5:24 PM

Oh, well done, OP. An actual explanation of market economics by an economist!

People, you can't have it both ways. You are either a free-market capitalist and pay market rates whatever they may be. Or you are for price controls and a managed market, where sellers are told what prices they can charge. But you can't have it both ways.

One of the fun things that come out of this stuff is that people who thought they were fiscal conservatives find out they are actually liberals when it's their own money in question.

I'm a proud NRA life member and I have an MBA. I just gotta smile, rather provocatively...
• Don't have children until you're married five years or at least age 30.
• Put 10% of your salary into savings every month no matter how broke you are.
• Don't ever screw around with the IRS.
• Keep a handgun on your bedside table.
• Don't smart-mouth judges, or cops who stop you on the road.
Old 01-24-2013, 5:37 PM
Calguns Addict

Prices are set by supply and demand. In the past, customers demanded lower prices saying that they could get it cheaper on the Internet. For a short time, the tables have turned and customers (buyers) have driven up the prices. Consider an auction, the buyers set the price. If a seller sees that, it only makes sense to put items up for auction.

Should a business not charge the going rate? I bet you refused to pay MSRP in the past, but now you are saying that is what it should be? Isn't that a bit hypocritical? I bet if you were selling something and someone offered you more than your asking price, you would take it and I bet that if you saw similar items were selling for a lot of money, you would base your asking price on that.

As was said, there are no price-gougers, that is only in your mind and is only your opinion. My personal opinion is that it is a win for a business to lose your support based on your view.

The other aspect is that most likely firearm sales are going to really slow down, which means a business had better save the money to survive.

Never try to teach a pig to sing. You waste your time and you annoy the pig. - Robert A. Heinlein