Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > INTERESTS AND ACTIVITIES > Ammo and Reloading
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Ammo and Reloading Factory Ammunition, Reloading, Components, Load Data and more.

Old 08-30-2016, 11:08 PM

I'll check out the sites, thanks!

I stopped by the LGS this evening to check on primer and powder. They were out of small pistol primers and they had too many different Hodgdon powders for me to decide. My Lyman 50th Edition Reloading Handbook comes in tomorrow so that should help.
Old 08-30-2016, 11:25 PM

Buy one pound of HP38 or Winchester 231 (same thing) at your LGS. While not the best metering powder it's far from the worst, has a fairly good case fill so it's easier to avoid under/over charging, performs fairly well and is versatile across multiple pistol calibers. From there it's easier to compare its strengths and shortfalls to other powders and make a better decision if you want something different.

I have six pounds of it squirreled away.
Old 08-31-2016, 7:22 AM

I only use Hodgdon powders and CCI primers . Powder wise - I really like CFE , it kind of removes copper from barrel . Not sure about coated bullets [ I only use jacketed ones ] but probably would / will help with plated .
Powder , primers , bullets - even cases are a personal choice . I prefer a ball type - others a flack or extruded powder .
Old 10-16-2016, 1:03 PM

In need of 40 s&w bullets. Please let me know if any eastbay group buys surface.
Old 10-22-2016, 4:38 AM

Interested, never reload but would love to get involve, thanks....Willie from Antioch
Old 10-22-2016, 6:01 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Williezl62 View Post
Interested, never reload but would love to get involve, thanks....Willie from Antioch
Welcome to the (quiet) party Willie!

I think there are a few reloaders out in your neck of the woods. Hopefully you can connect with some for some instruction.

Happy shooting and be safe!
M&P 15 (Mine)
Old 10-31-2016, 10:29 AM
CGN Contributor

Hi all, I'm new to the Vallejo/Benicia area.
Reading/watching vids on how to reload on my own, for now. Haven't started, but learning the basics before I invest in equipment.
Old 10-31-2016, 2:00 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 357manny View Post
Hi all, I'm new to the Vallejo/Benicia area.
Reading/watching vids on how to reload on my own, for now. Haven't started, but learning the basics before I invest in equipment.

Welcome to the club! Hope we can get something going here. Been a bit quiet.
M&P 15 (Mine)
Old 10-31-2016, 2:56 PM

Welcome -
There are no stupid questions . Something you ask will probably help other remember or remind someone .
Old 11-02-2016, 5:12 PM

Hi all, newbie to reloading here. Probably the wrong place to post this. Anyone have a Dillion 550B set up for 9mm that want to offload? Thanks
Old 11-04-2016, 1:03 AM

How many of you actually use a factory crimp die? I don't but some have warned that shooting a semi-auto may push the bullet in enough to cause unsafe pressures.
--
Belmont, CA
Lee Hand Press x 2
Lyman Gen 6 powder measure
CFE223, CFE Pistol, Longshot
Old 11-04-2016, 8:47 AM

Not 100% sure, but don't think the crimp die will change the pressure unless your crimp is also reseating the bullet.
Old 11-04-2016, 9:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by philc View Post
Not 100% sure, but don't think the crimp die will change the pressure unless your crimp is also reseating the bullet.
I believe he is concerned about bullet set-back during firing which will raise pressure.

I use the LFCD on every round that I load. If you are talking about semi-auto pistol, I have learned that you only want to set the die to push the flair back in and not to actually crimp. The neck tension should be enough to hold bullet in place without any set-back.

For semi-auto rifle, you want to apply about a medium crimp to avoid possible set-back issues in those rounds.
Old 11-04-2016, 10:55 AM

Do ranges allow you to use Chronographs? I been thinking of getting one but would be kind of useless if not allowed. Thanks!
Old 11-04-2016, 11:10 AM
Veteran Member

Outdoor ranges typically yes during the cease fire you set it up. Indoor ranges typically no. If you get an expensive lab radar one probably it would work anywhere.
Old 11-04-2016, 11:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by arrowshooter View Post
I believe he is concerned about bullet set-back during firing which will raise pressure..
Glad I subscribed to this thread. The learning never ends.
Old 11-04-2016, 11:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eljay View Post
Outdoor ranges typically yes during the cease fire you set it up. Indoor ranges typically no. If you get an expensive lab radar one probably it would work anywhere.
Okay, cool. I was thinking of something like this one.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00HTN5290...oaderaddict-20
Old 11-04-2016, 12:38 PM

I use all 5 stations on my Lee .
I crimp mainly semi auto pistol , but also do the 30 M 1 carbine and 270 W .
I set my crimp so there is no flare on case . By that I mean I run my finger over where shell meets cartridge . A slight step down from case .
On the rifle cases - kind of a like a dent .
Do the check with factory ammo and see what it feels like .
Crimping is like salt - everyone like a different amount .
Old 11-10-2016, 10:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tonyjr View Post
I use all 5 stations on my Lee .
I crimp mainly semi auto pistol , but also do the 30 M 1 carbine and 270 W .
I set my crimp so there is no flare on case . By that I mean I run my finger over where shell meets cartridge . A slight step down from case .
On the rifle cases - kind of a like a dent .
Do the check with factory ammo and see what it feels like .
Crimping is like salt - everyone like a different amount .
I actually HAVE the crimp die. The problem is that I am using a single stage Lee Handpress (if you have a bench mounted single stage press it doesn't actua;y change nature of the problem). I actually have two of those Handpresses. I have the resizing die on one, the seating die on another. I generally don't unscrew the dies unless I am changing calibers. I am actually thinking about buying additional presses so I can have one press for every die I own; they are dirt cheap.

My concern is two fold... one being that during chambering it is not uncommon for the nose to slam against the ramp on the wat into the chamber. The crimp prevents the bullet from being pushed in during the chambering event. Another thing (albeit less of a concern with practice pistol ammo than with precision rifle ammo) is that neck tension very slightly increases resistance to the bullet moving forward during the initial phase of igniting the cartridge. More resistance = more chamber pressure. More importantly, consistent resistance = consistent initial chamber pressure and hence lower velocity spreads.

Last edited by dwightlooi; 11-10-2016 at 10:26 PM..
Old 11-11-2016, 7:26 AM

dwightlooi
This is one of the reasons I use all 5 stations . Not a big believer in 2 or 3 die set ups .
Same with priming on a press - deprime , clean [ kind of inspect ] reprime and finger test depth .
Seating , OAL and crimping all at once - no thank you .
Old 11-14-2016, 9:58 PM

Getting the hang of this reloading thing.

Old 11-15-2016, 11:43 AM
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nuuze View Post
Getting the hang of this reloading thing.

Looking good!
Old 11-15-2016, 11:49 AM

Thanks!

For those interested. Sportsman Warehouse recently opened up in Fairfield. They have quite a bit of reloading gear including reloaded, wet/dry tumblers and dies. Not the best prices but at least no shipping or hazmat fees. For me its across the highway.

Old 11-15-2016, 1:30 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nuuze View Post
Thanks!

For those interested. Sportsman Warehouse recently opened up in Fairfield. They have quite a bit of reloading gear including reloaded, wet/dry tumblers and dies. Not the best prices but at least no shipping or hazmat fees. For me its across the highway.

Whoooo hooo!!!
M&P 15 (Mine)
Old 11-27-2016, 4:02 PM
Veteran Member

Anyone know where in the greater Bay Area to go buy reloading components? Other than that Sportsman Warehouse post up there.
Old 11-27-2016, 4:08 PM
Veteran Member

Richmond Rod and Gun. It's not laying out or anything - ask where you sign in and they'll hand you a clipboard that shows what they have in stock and somebody will go get the stuff from wherever they store it.
Old 11-27-2016, 4:55 PM

I went to Guns / fishing in Dublin -
They had no hp 38 , hs 6 , h 110 or CFE , CFE rifle or pistol powers . I saw one box of large rifle primers - no magnum [ CCI ]
I saw no 25 ACP or 32 ACP - on shelf [ I did see one box of 380 ACP ] , But salesman [ only one ] was on phone , then was more interested in showing safes . My nephew bought a set of scope rings , went to range and talked to them [ they said he could shoot everything except the 50 rifle [ said we could shoot the S&W 50 AND THE 50 AE ]
I might go back with nephews , but only if they are shooting the 308 / 762's [ i will take the 270 ]
I will probably be going to either reeds or target masters Friday for more powder / primers / bullets .
Old 11-27-2016, 5:17 PM

In South Bay there is Bass Pro in San Jose. Decent supply of projectiles, some powder. I found a lb. of H4350 there recently. Of course high prices, but not as bad as some.

Reeds, in Santa Clara. Prices to make your head spin. Also limits to 1 lb. of powder, not sure if that is still in effect... :/

Sportsman Supply in Cambell (high prices [not as bad as Reeds] but decent powder). Expect to pay $35/lb.

Fishing and other stuff in Dublin...Possibly worse prices than Reeds. Decent selection of Powders and Primers, but I remember the prices being through the ceiling.

Gun Vault in Mountain View has a sparse reloading area, but often has primers behind the counter.

From my cold dead end mill...
Old 11-27-2016, 5:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tonyjr View Post
I might go back with nephews , but only if they are shooting the 308 / 762's
They will let you shoot 308 rifle or pistol. Good for a range test, IMO, but a very short range...like 50 yards. Not ideal for a 308 but fine for a range test.

The guys at the range are nice, receptive to AR pistols, even 308!

I will add, I've bought powder twice in their parking lot from other calguners. Not a bad place to meet.

Last edited by liber; 11-27-2016 at 5:31 PM..
Old 11-27-2016, 5:43 PM

liber
Thanks , I will probably stop at target masters in Milpitas - [ depends on traffic ] they are cheaper than reeds - but they don't who uses range . Parking is bad at both places .
Bass pro - Never had any powder I wanted - just we can order it - O K order it .Your powder came in - I went - it went on shelf and we sold it - while refund was not bad - They called about 4 and I went the next day . no thank you .
Old 11-30-2016, 11:39 AM

Default South Bay Reloaders??

Any reloaders down towards San Jose area? I'm just getting into reloading and am a little overwhelmed with where to start. I picked up the Lyman reloading manual and am reading it, but its a lot to take in without practical experience to go with it.
I'm primarily going to be reloading 9mm and 5.56, eventually moving into .45ACP and .308, but for now, just looking at the first two. Anyone want some help with their reloading? Happy to trade labor for knowledge.
Thanks!
Old 11-30-2016, 8:47 PM

TheZouave
Not really local .
Go on ebay and buy a lee hand loader for each . These reload one cartridge at a time , but you learn the basics .
I would buy a pound of powder , primers [ They come in packages of 100 ] and a box of bullets for both . [ between 50-60 dollars ][ you should have M T cases . In San Jose , there are 2 places I go . Bass pro and Reeds shooting range . Both are low on everything .
Target masters in Milpitas is about the cheapest - again low on everything . Come January , you need a background check to buy almost anything - so most of us are buying what we can when we see it .
No one I have talked to knows if you will need a different background for primers , powder , bullets , cases or how long the wait will be .
January 2nd - I plan on getting the back ground thing - a few of us want to in early before the system gets bogged down .
Old 12-01-2016, 12:29 AM

Thanks for the suggestions, tonyjr! Are you talking about the Lee Single Stage Press? Should I look at something like this: https://www.amazon.com/Lee-Precision...e+single+stage

to get started? Seems like a pretty good deal. I think my friend is getting a Dillon 650 in January, so I don't want to jump into multiple single stage loaders just yet, but I can definitely see the advantage of having a single stage for more specific reloads, rather than everything that needs to get changed in the Dillon 650.
Old 12-01-2016, 2:03 AM

Something to consider:

http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/s...31&postcount=3

EDIT: The fact is that you will be able to get yourself started for much less by getting a single stage press, and that will give you time to understand the reloading process.

That said, I started on a Dillon and ended up buying/trading for single stage presses after the fact. A lot of things they come in handy for.

There's a lot of variables, how much volume you will load, how valuable your time is, how many calibers you need to reload, etc...

Last edited by liber; 12-01-2016 at 2:09 AM..
Old 12-01-2016, 7:32 AM

No , that will work also . But you need Dies with it .
The one I am suggesting is
LEE 90254 * CLASSIC LOADER SET * 9MM LUGER [ ebay ]
I reload about 15 calibers and have the lee for each one .
I started on the LEE loader . Now I use a Lee load master .
The nice thing about them is they can be set and used as an OAL
gauge [ big reason I have for all my calibers . ]
Dillon is fine for your calibers , but they are expensive and don't
sell dies for everything I own .
They have a better warranty . I stuck with Lee . I don't know of
anyone who sells presses in / local area . There is a place in
Stockton that use to sell and had on display .
I would wait till about March /April before in vest in a press .
If you decide to go the press route , they will probably become dheaper then [ watch Craigs list .
Old 12-01-2016, 8:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by liber View Post
Yeah, it sucks that they've taken that stance. I'm more looking for someone I can help out just to learn, not to take ammunition home with me (as I know that's getting into the illegal territory, even if no money is exchanged).

But thank you for the reminder, I wouldn't want someone to get in trouble for helping me out. :-P
Old 12-01-2016, 9:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheZouave View Post
Yeah, it sucks that they've taken that stance. I'm more looking for someone I can help out just to learn, not to take ammunition home with me (as I know that's getting into the illegal territory, even if no money is exchanged).

But thank you for the reminder, I wouldn't want someone to get in trouble for helping me out. :-P
The laws have really turned towards the worse in CA...

A lot of people interested in reloading right now with the new ammo laws coming into play.

Get a Rock Chucker, some powder, and bullets...it's not that hard.

Old 12-01-2016, 11:53 AM

Anyone have a Dillon 650 they wanna trade for a Hornady LNL plus cash on my end?

If you're only using the 650 handgun and don't plan to ever do rifle it wouldn't be a bad deal.

I convert 223 to blackout and it's currently not possible on the LNL.
Old 12-01-2016, 6:17 PM

That is one reason to use Lee . My load master has done almost everything I want . [ If you don't count the crappy primer set up - but no one make one that will clean after removing primer and before installing another one ]
You can not have it all - clean primer hole / flash hole and tumble brass .
Right now the Lee will / does the 25 ACP thru the 50 AE pistol wise and my 270 thru 308 rifle wise - maybe the 223 if they have a good one at the show Saturday . One bad thing is I only fill the bullet tubes 1/2 way for both the 45 and heavier 357's . The 44 and 50 - the cases are O K but I hand place the bullets .
Yes , I have probably replaced everything but the paint on the Lee . .
I am given a lot of reloading stuff and you would be surprised to hear how many times I have heard my tool head broke and they are out of stock [ I had one and was given the new one when it came in ] The new one has been replaced 3 times .
Same with the LNL .
Does any one know if I can get in trouble semi loaning press parts ?
Old 12-01-2016, 7:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Psychbiker View Post
Anyone have a Dillon 650 they wanna trade for a Hornady LNL plus cash on my end?
That's like trading a Porsche for a Volkswagen. Not for nothing, but I don't even consider the Hornady LNL to be comparable in any way to the Dillon 650. Albeit you're willing to toss some cash in, I wouldn't want the Hornady after using the Dillon. Fact of life.